Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Babysitting the Smurf over the weekend included the funny experience of taking him to a completely inappropriate movie. We decided a trip to the theater was a good way to avoid the heat Saturday, and a call to his mother confirmed she was completely fine with him wanting to see Ted, in spite of him being a couple of weeks away from turning 12 and Ted having a well-earned R-rating. It was fine, as the movie has all sorts of childish "adult" humor, but probably nothing he hasn't seen or heard already, and he's such a smart, mature kid, it was obvious he kept it in perspective.

And for all our self-consciousness, no one seemed to care about a kid going to that movie: The girl selling the tickets asked his age just to see if he qualified for the discount for kids under 12. And I had prepared for this, saying we'd just pay full price rather than draw attention to us taking an 11-year-old to an R movie.

Adult Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Ultimate Assassin 3: Level Pack.
Links: Steam summer sale strategy.
10 Envy-inducing Video Game Bathrooms. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: The Ultimate Cheat.
The Funnies: Midnight At Every Age.
xkcd: Groundhog Day.
Follow-up: The Oatmeal fights backs, snaps photo of cash, sends money to charity.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2012, 12:54 Ant

nin wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 10:45:
I'm assuming he's alluding to the scene set to Berlin's "Take My Breath Away"...which, while I haven't seen it in years, I'd initially be hesitant to show a 10 year old.

Got the video of that online to share?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: The Oatmeal Jul 3, 2012, 09:06 Mr. Tact

I'd really like to know what's up with Charles Carreon -- is he looking for his 15 minutes? Is he just an idiot? Did he think for some reason he was going to get a quick paycheck out of this? Whatever the case is, congratulations on cementing yourself into Internet history as a total loser (and that's being REALLY kind).  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

22. The Oatmeal Jul 2, 2012, 20:57 jdreyer

I'm so glad the EFF came to the defense of Inman. It sucks that he had to engage any of this at all.

It sounds like that guy is abusing the law to intimidate a critic.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 20:54 jdreyer

Yeah, each kid is different, and each movie is different. My daughter is nine, and is somewhat of a fantasy junky (HP, LOTR, etc.) So, she bugged me to go see John Carter (PG 13) and I agreed after doing a lot of research. Even so, there were some intense scenes and I asked her if there were any parts that frightened or disgusted her. She said, "Yeah, Dad, the part where they kissed was SO GROSS."

That movie is "actiony" and any 10 year old or over could probably handle it. Same with Avengers which we also saw. However, Snow White and the Huntsman hews much closer to the PG 13 line, with it's intense murders and magical life-sucking and over the top scenery chewing by Theron. But again, none of the violent stuff bothered her at all, but she closed her eyes and turned away when (SPOILERS!) Snow White kissed the Huntsman.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 20:18 Sepharo

I remember watching Caddyshack as young as 5, since my parents had recorded it off of HBO. That VHS got funnier and funnier every year that I watched it.  

19. Re: And now for something completely off-topic Jul 2, 2012, 19:13 Lorcin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 18:59:

eh, being a "gun dog" doens't matter 1 bit. I have 3 gun dogs, and 1 of my 3 is the biggest baby in the world. Rain, wind, firworks, thunder, etc. It is a nightmare. Nothing works. The best I can do for him is put a blanket in the bathroom and leave a radio on in there for him. I also open the basement door and have made a safe spot for him to hid in with a blanket from his kennel and a radio. Poor kid.

yours, like mine, must be defective. People regularly train Labs to guide blind people - we still struggle to keep ours from eating the children's socks and knickers.

18. Re: And now for something completely off-topic Jul 2, 2012, 18:59 xXBatmanXx

Lorcin wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 18:10:
rist3903 wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 16:59:
I am sure you have done some research on this yourself Blue, but I found these tips for keeping your dog as relaxed as possible on the forthcoming Forth.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/8-tips-keeping-your-dogs-calm-july-4th

I felt like such an idiot with this last year - we had our fireworks night (early november) and did a home display. Halfway through we realised "Jack" (our rescue lab) was happily mingling with the crowd just generally begging food. Shocked my wife said well looks like his ok with fireworks and I agreed, at which point a friend of a friend we'd never met before turned around and said "of course he is - his a gun dog". DOH.

eh, being a "gun dog" doens't matter 1 bit. I have 3 gun dogs, and 1 of my 3 is the biggest baby in the world. Rain, wind, firworks, thunder, etc. It is a nightmare. Nothing works. The best I can do for him is put a blanket in the bathroom and leave a radio on in there for him. I also open the basement door and have made a safe spot for him to hid in with a blanket from his kennel and a radio. Poor kid.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 18:43 xXBatmanXx

....COME ON STEAM SUMMER CAMP SALE!!!!!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: And now for something completely off-topic Jul 2, 2012, 18:10 Lorcin

rist3903 wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 16:59:
I am sure you have done some research on this yourself Blue, but I found these tips for keeping your dog as relaxed as possible on the forthcoming Forth.

I felt like such an idiot with this last year - we had our fireworks night (early november) and did a home display. Halfway through we realised "Jack" (our rescue lab) was happily mingling with the crowd just generally begging food. Shocked my wife said well looks like his ok with fireworks and I agreed, at which point a friend of a friend we'd never met before turned around and said "of course he is - his a gun dog". DOH.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 18:05 Lorcin

My wife watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre when she was 7 - I had VERY controlling parents who wouldn't even let me watch Saturday morning TV on 1 of the 3 channels we had back then.

Needless to say my kids watch what they want - ie my son watched Aliens when he was 9.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 17:59 Ahumado

Since you need to justify it and moralize it you know it's wrong but just keep fooling yourself  

13. And now for something completely off-topic Jul 2, 2012, 16:59 rist3903

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 15:25 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 10:56:
I saw From Dusk Till Dawn on the big screen when I was around twelve, with my brother and father. Grin
I don't think my mother would have approved.

I like to think it helped accelerate my growth into the fine, upstanding citizen I am today!

God, I was in high school. I think Junior or Senior year.

My buds and I were hanging out and we figured we'd rent the movie since our BlockBuster didn't have much else. About 1/2 of us had seen it, and the other half inspected the (real) box before agreeing to pickup the Generic Block Buster box. The film had already been on video for a while at that point.

They got pissed when I spoiled the "big surprise twist"

Like they were complaining about how slow it was, and bikers aren't that scary. And I said something like "just give it some time, the Vampires will show up eventually"

Apparently they had no idea what the heck I was talking about. And got annoyed that I ruined the "Surprise Twist"

Dude: you saw the box, the tag lines, and the description. If that's still a twist, I don't know WHAT to say to you.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 15:19 Mr. Tact

Clearly society is doomed, especially with all that heathen music they listen to.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 15:14 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 12:31:
...It was fine, as the movie has all sorts of childish "adult" humor, but probably nothing he hasn't seen or heard already, and he's such a smart, mature kid, it was obvious he kept it in perspective....

Yeh, some parents need to realize that.

Chances are kids hear their parents/siblings/friends/students drop S-bombs, F-bombs, and worse throughout the year.

What I LOVE is when I've hear a parent drop an F-bomb in front of their kid... and shortly afterwards FREAK... THE... HECK... OUT at some random stranger who had the nerve to use that same language while talking to his buddy in ear-shot of their kid.

Seriously: grocery shopping. A father says to his wife, "I don't care, we don't need any more F'ing oranges." 5 minutes later, wife goes off on stranger for dropping the S-bomb in THE NEXT CASHIER LINE OVER from where she was.

Sigh

Meanwhile said parents probably let their kid watch HBO and such when they're not looking.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 12:31 Cutter

I want to hear more about the Bronx, Blue. In NYC I've only been to Manhattan and Brooklyn but always wanted to check out the Bronx. For some reason I always think you seem to know every inch of the city backward and forward in spite of how large it is.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 11:22 Steelcamp

Blue, you child neglecting bastard. you should be grilled on your manstove... :-P  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 10:57 Pigeon

So long as the kiddo was quiet, and didn't loudly ask awkward questions like 'what is that man doing on top of that woman?' I highly doubt anyone noticed or cared.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 10:56 PHJF

I saw From Dusk Till Dawn on the big screen when I was around twelve, with my brother and father. Grin
I don't think my mother would have approved.

I like to think it helped accelerate my growth into the fine, upstanding citizen I am today!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 10:53 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 10:50:
Well, it's been a while since I've seen it too, but my memory of that scene was it being more tease than anything else.

It could very well be. But I'm not going to google it at work.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo