Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for this past week:

1. Arma II Combined Operations
  2. Civilization V: Gods & Kings
  3. Damn of War II Complete Pack
  4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Collection 2
  5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  6. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier
  7. Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine
  8. Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
  9. Max Payne 3
  10. Spec Ops: The Line

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 2, 2012, 04:50 Fantaz

cronik wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 00:14:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 19:30:
Hopefully more publishers and developers will actively support modding.

Shovelling endless DLC down gamers throats is the new mod support bro.

With all this DLC crap going on, every developer should just switch to the free 2 play model... but then we wouldn't have these nifty Steam Top 10 list of the week?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 2, 2012, 04:02 Jerykk

Kastagir wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 03:53:
Crusader Kings 2 went on sale on Amazon for $9.99 again. It's a downloadable version that can be activated on Steam. If it goes on sale for the same price (-75%) during the Summer Sale, it will likely only be for a day. The Amazon sale will probably last until July 7.

You can also get CK2 as part of a Paradox bundle which includes:

Magicka + DLC
Sword of the Stars + expansions
Sword of the Stars 2
Victoria 2
Crusader Kings 2

All for $12.49. Pretty sweet deal if you like strategy games (and games where you randomly combine different spells to destructive effect).

Paradox Bundle

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 2, 2012, 03:53 Kastagir

Crusader Kings 2 went on sale on Amazon for $9.99 again. It's a downloadable version that can be activated on Steam. If it goes on sale for the same price (-75%) during the Summer Sale, it will likely only be for a day. The Amazon sale will probably last until July 7.  

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 2, 2012, 02:57 jacobvandy

PHJF wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 23:13:
I got Far Cry 3 for $30, Hitman: Absolution for $36 and Darksiders 2 for $35.

You didn't "get" anything. You're out money and you have nothing to show for it.

Lolwut? Not like those games are going to fall through like a Kickstarter project might. Even if by some bizarre occurrence they did, he'd be getting a refund instantly from any retailer that isn't run out of some dude's basement.

34. Re: knowing is half the battle Jul 2, 2012, 02:47 Cornholio

and 'dude' is a timeless classic, man.  

33. knowing is half the battle Jul 2, 2012, 00:46 space captain

bro is the new man, dude  
Go forth, and kill!

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 2, 2012, 00:14 cronik

Hopefully more publishers and developers will actively support modding.

Shovelling endless DLC down gamers throats is the new mod support bro.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 23:26 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 22:51:
I'm just saying overall, in general, why would anyone pay full price anymore? They are being told in very blunt terms not to.

Some people want to play games as soon as they come out. Of course, on PC you can often save a significant amount of money by pre-ordering. I got Far Cry 3 for $30, Hitman: Absolution for $36 and Darksiders 2 for $35. I only pre-order when I can save ~$15 or more.

Likewise. When Amazon does their $20 off preorders on a game I know I'll buy and feel I know the quality, I'll do it. I got about a half dozen 360 games that way in November and December.
I'm much more lenient about the games I'll buy quickly that way.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 23:16 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 23:13:

You didn't "get" anything. You're out money and you have nothing to show for it.

And I can't believe you paid so much as a red cent for derpsolution. Of all the games to preorder...

I'll have something to show for it when those games are released. Hence, the "pre" part of "pre-order." As for Hitman, I had my doubts as well. The first two levels they showed seemed pretty linear and scripted. However, the E3 demo re-instilled some faith and the level they've been showing off in the latest media looks to be pretty open-ended as well. I'm still not a big fan of the psychic X-Ray vision mode but apparently that's completely optional and unavailable at the highest difficulty level, which I'll be playing at.

Now, there's always the chance that these games will be canceled but I seriously doubt that's going to happen. There's also the chance that I won't enjoy any of them, but that chance exists for any game whether you pre-order or not. Reviews and word of mouth are all well and good but your own opinion is really the only one that matters in the end.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 23:13 PHJF

And I can't believe you paid so much as a red cent for derpsolution. Of all the games to preorder...

Steam + PSN: PHJF

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 23:08 killer_roach

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 20:10:
Why would anyone buy a game at release anymore unless it was a super favorite?

That's basically the idea - pricing is price discrimination using willingness to wait as an inverse proxy for willingness to pay.

Get the people who really have to have it right away to pay as much as they can, then keep lowering the price throughout the game's life cycle to pick up additional people as time passes.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 22:51 Jerykk

I'm just saying overall, in general, why would anyone pay full price anymore? They are being told in very blunt terms not to.

Some people want to play games as soon as they come out. Of course, on PC you can often save a significant amount of money by pre-ordering. I got Far Cry 3 for $30, Hitman: Absolution for $36 and Darksiders 2 for $35. I only pre-order when I can save ~$15 or more.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 22:41 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 20:52:
Just got Spec Ops, Syndicate, Max Payne 3 and Darkness 2 on amazon all for like $80. Also got the Duke singleplayer DLC for funsies.

To support developers. A game's success is generally determined within the first month of release. If a game sells a lot of units within the first month, the likelihood of a publisher making a sequel or working with that developer again increases significantly. First month sales also determine how much support the game will get in terms of patches and extra content.

If you pick up Darkness 2 for $12 and end up enjoying it, then you'll probably be disappointed to know that there won't be a Darkness 3 because the game's first month sales were underwhelming.

Oh I know, and that is something I have written many times. I'm not even sure I like these discounts so quick after release, the main reason I don't own these already is that I was volunteering overseas for 6 months.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 22:12 RailWizard

Pretty amazing how Arma 2 has held on to the top spot for so long. Goes to show the power that mods can have. Hopefully more publishers and developers will actively support modding.

I'm have a feeling a lot of the reason it is still up there is due to the mass global bans recently. Cheaters gotta cheat.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 21:50 Slashman

I don't always wait for a sale. But I don't usually pre-order or buy first day. I'll wait for reviews and community feedback purchasing.  

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 20:52 Jerykk

Just got Spec Ops, Syndicate, Max Payne 3 and Darkness 2 on amazon all for like $80. Also got the Duke singleplayer DLC for funsies.

To support developers. A game's success is generally determined within the first month of release. If a game sells a lot of units within the first month, the likelihood of a publisher making a sequel or working with that developer again increases significantly. First month sales also determine how much support the game will get in terms of patches and extra content.

If you pick up Darkness 2 for $12 and end up enjoying it, then you'll probably be disappointed to know that there won't be a Darkness 3 because the game's first month sales were underwhelming.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 20:34 Dev

Well there's a lot of people who MUST PLAY THE LATEST COOL THING THE DAY ITS OUT and pay for it. Then there's things that rarely if ever go on sale. Such as blizzard titles.

For me personally though, I almost always wait for the good deal. GotY edition FTW!

Edit: I forgot about an important reason that Jerykk remembered in his post after mine.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2012, 21:12.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 20:10 StingingVelvet

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 19:39 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 19:31:
nin wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 14:52:

http://i.imgur.com/jVf9p.jpg

Pfft, logical fallacy. They can't start sometime between now and the time they start, because they start the time they start. It's impossible for them to start between then and a time before then.

Rather, they start sometime between now and the time they end.

So technically they start after the time window Gabe said.

Valve Time lives!

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2012, 19:31 Beamer

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 14:52:

http://i.imgur.com/jVf9p.jpg

Pfft, logical fallacy. They can't start sometime between now and the time they start, because they start the time they start. It's impossible for them to start between then and a time before then.

Rather, they start sometime between now and the time they end.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo