Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

New AMD/ATI Drivers

AMD Support & Drivers now offers new version 12.6 Catalyst reference drivers for AMD/ATI graphics cards as well as beta version 12.7 drivers. Here's word: "AMD Catalyst 12.6 represents a significant milestone in AMDís driver development and planning. The list of resolved issues at the end of this email is certainly representative of our continued investment in quality, but itís symbolic of a deeper systemic change. The truth is that our new driver cadenceóreleasing drivers as neededógives us tremendous flexibility to provide releases that are worth upgrading to. By this I mean that youíll begin to see meatier updates, with a single driver containing a number of fixes and enhancements that could have been deployed over several releases with our old schedule. "

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Top Gun Hard Lock Details Jul 13, 2012, 23:37 Ant

skyguy wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 23:27:
Ant wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 11:10:
skyguy wrote on Jun 30, 2012, 12:41:
Oh shit they dropped support for my wife's 4850. 12.4b are the latest drivers that will install on her rig.
What about 4870?

erm, well, now that you mention it I googled it and:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/catalyst126legacyproducts.aspx

I don't know if blue has mentioned this legacy ATI driver yet.
Hmm, it's a beta. I think I will wait! I am fine with the old v12.3 at this time in my old, updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Top Gun Hard Lock Details Jul 13, 2012, 23:27 skyguy

Ant wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 11:10:
Oh shit they dropped support for my wife's 4850. 12.4b are the latest drivers that will install on her rig.
What about 4870?

erm, well, now that you mention it I googled it and:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/catalyst126legacyproducts.aspx

I don't know if blue has mentioned this legacy ATI driver yet.

14. Re: New AMD/ATI Drivers Jul 12, 2012, 11:10 Ant

What about 4870?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. Re: New AMD/ATI Drivers Jun 30, 2012, 12:41 skyguy

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2012, 09:42 Bard

I'm SO SICK of the issues I have with ATI video cards to the point that I am currently on the last ones I'll buy from them.

Configuring settings seems to be a pay per click app - crossfire is such a fiddly and pain in the arse implementation that works properly with a few games (usually whatever is benchmark of the month) and it's just not worth it. Their drivers always lag behind.

Nothing is ever simple with their drivers. 20 year IT Systems Engineer experience with more hardware and software and the only things out there that piss me off more are Acronis and Maximizer.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2012, 06:58 Jerykk

You can also get the standard 3GB 7970 these days for $400-440. It performs far better than GTX-670 and when overclocked to 7970 GHz edition levels (which almost all these cards can achieve on stock cooling and voltage), goes on par with GTX 680.

Eh, you're stretching a bit there. Yes, an overlocked 7970 GHz is on par with a non-overclocked GTX 680. However, if you overlock the GTX 680 it pulls ahead. Secondly, AMD has awful driver support. I just switched to a GTX 670 because of that, in fact. Unlike Nvidia, AMD doesn't really put any effort into supporting developers, which is why it's not uncommon to see new games perform poorly on AMD cards. It typically takes multiple driver revisions before these issues are fixed. And now with AMD doing driver updates on an even less frequent basis, things don't bode well for consumers who use their cards.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 21:04 eunichron

DG wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 17:19:
Because they're all exactly the same chips. They're often all the same PCB also, especially at launch. Not sure on the position now, but years ago Sapphire used to be the one actually making a huge chunk of all cards.

They've always been the same chips, but it used to be, at least in my recollection, that card retailers tended to optimize the pcb designs, use different memory, different clocks speeds, etc. It was a great way to see if some retailers were really overcharging for their custom cards, or if there were cards there were much greater value (i.e. 5% more performance for the same or less cost).

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 19:06 noman

eunichron wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 15:25:
I'll be getting a huge real world improvement over my HD5870 soon when I buy a 670GTX. I was a huge Nvidia fanboy since my GeForce2, and the 5870 was the first time I deviated. Despite what an awesome card it is/was, I think I'll be going back to Nvidia

You can also get the standard 3GB 7970 these days for $400-440. It performs far better than GTX-670 and when overclocked to 7970 GHz edition levels (which almost all these cards can achieve on stock cooling and voltage), goes on par with GTX 680.

For performance with latest drivers, check out couple reviews below. These are from 7970GE review, but the standard 7970 numbers are also updated based of new drivers.

http://www.techspot.com/review/546-amd-radeon-hd-7970-ghz-edition/page1.html

There is another article on 7970GE that you may want to check out at Anandtech. Can't post the URL because of its length.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 17:28 Wowbagger_TIP

Rigs wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 14:08:
So, let's get some opinions in here of the 'real world' improvements. I'm curious if anyone sees any kind of speed enhancements with older cards, like my HD5770

I'll be getting a huge real world improvement over my HD5870 soon when I buy a 670GTX. I was a huge Nvidia fanboy since my GeForce2, and the 5870 was the first time I deviated. Despite what an awesome card it is/was, I think I'll be going back to Nvidia.

An aside, whatever happened to hardware roundup reviews? You know, when reviewers would get 10+ pieces of the same hardware from different vendors and pit them against each other to find out which was the best bang for the buck, highest performing, most stable, what have you. They seem to be non-existent these days.

I usually just go with the best bang for buck, but also factor in cooling/quietness. I think I've only stuck with AMD/ATI because I've had good luck I guess. Despite the fact that I play a lot of different games, I rarely have any trouble from my vid card. I just upgraded from my old Radeon 4870 to a 7850 (Asus DirectCUII) and it kicks much ass. Runs cooler and quieter than my old card too.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 17:19 DG

An aside, whatever happened to hardware roundup reviews? You know, when reviewers would get 10+ pieces of the same hardware from different vendors and pit them against each other to find out which was the best bang for the buck, highest performing, most stable, what have you. They seem to be non-existent these days.
Because they're all exactly the same chips. They're often all the same PCB also, especially at launch. Not sure on the position now, but years ago Sapphire used to be the one actually making a huge chunk of all cards.

Most of those that are not the same PCB, they're all compliant with the AMD/Nvidia spec, so they're effectively identical.

Usually it's a few months down the line, which is when the weird coolers start coming out, that the cards actually have differences in PCB design. Even that's not really significant as all still in spec.

The only real difference is how good they are at soldering chips onto PCB, which affects reliability rather than performance. Otherwise it's down to the custom coolers. Oh and warranty.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 17:15 mag

So, let's get some opinions in here of the 'real world' improvements. I'm curious if anyone sees any kind of speed enhancements with older cards, like my HD5770

I'll be getting a huge real world improvement over my HD5870 soon when I buy a 670GTX. I was a huge Nvidia fanboy since my GeForce2, and the 5870 was the first time I deviated. Despite what an awesome card it is/was, I think I'll be going back to Nvidia.

Those roundups still happen occasionally, but for the past few years manufacturers have been sticking pretty close to the reference designs. There just isn't a lot of difference between the cards, usually. Later in the life cycle they start to explore with different memory amounts/circuit board layouts/coolers, but by then no one cares. Ha.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 16:02 theyarecomingforyou

Meh, they gotta make money, just like everyone else. What I don't get is why the beta drivers are 20mb more than the normal ones? And what the hell is in 150mb?
It might just be because they're international drivers with extra languages. Even so, it's still smaller than nVidia drivers which include PhysX - the 302.80 drivers were 204MB. That said, it's not really an issue with internet connections being as fast as they are nowadays.

I dunno, most reviews include enough cards to get a decent idea of how they perform.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 15:59 Dirwulf

Tom's Hardware always has the latest graphic card info.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2012, 16:25.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 15:25 eunichron

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 14:08 Rigs

Meh, they gotta make money, just like everyone else. What I don't get is why the beta drivers are 20mb more than the normal ones? And what the hell is in 150mb? I mean, c'mon, just give me the changed stuff, not the whole damn thing again and again! Just because I have broadband doesn't mean I still want to wait the 10mins and waste the 100+mb of disk space on a damn video driver! Yeah, it's petty, but valid...

So, let's get some opinions in here of the 'real world' improvements. I'm curious if anyone sees any kind of speed enhancements with older cards, like my HD5770...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

1. Re: New AMD/ATI Drivers Jun 29, 2012, 12:13 theyarecomingforyou

They're layering on the PR spin a bit thick, aren't they? The reality is that when you make cuts as severe as AMD has done there will inevitably be consequences.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo