Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We have one of those in-between holiday situations here in the U.S., as this Wednesday is Independence Day, perfectly splitting the gap between the weekends to create uncertainty about when the occasion is being celebrated, which shows a problem with a holiday that's alternatively known as "The Fourth of July," since that makes it awkward to move to a Monday for one of those three-day weekend dealies. So it's hard to say if this will make for a slow news day, but I am guessing it will. It's also hard to say when to expect the fireworks that Hudson the wonder dog hates so much to begin, but its unrealistic to hope there won't be any, so we'll just have to batten down the hatches. Whatever that means.

R.I.P.: Ginsu Knife Pitch Co-Creator, Barry Becher, Dies.

Battened Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: War Elephant.
Commie Crush.
Links: Inside Ecto88, Ernie Cline's Souped-Up Sci-Fi DeLorean. Thanks nin.
Images: 'Firefly' reunion coming to Comic-Con 2012. Thanks nin. Bring your own bong.
Network Guru.
Toner Spill- Seems legit.
Media: Star Trek II-teaser trailer 2013.
Box Art Battle.
The Funnies: Support Call Cartoon - Savage Chickens.
Follow-up: "Be Here Now" -- The Andy Whitfield Story.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2012, 11:39 Cutter

Bhruic wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 22:38:
Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 16:25:
well Canada day is on Monday because we're smarter about these things.

Canada Day is Sunday. We just get Monday off.

I meant we generally just take our holidays on the Friday or Monday, as holidays in the middle of the week are just too disruptive.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 22:38 Bhruic

Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 16:25:

Canada Day is Sunday. We just get Monday off.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 22:28 Raven

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 17:56:
That's a pretty fake trailer unless J.J. Abrams has a thing for reusing Alien Resurrection film between :28 - :33.

It does say "fan made". After you click on the link. In small print.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 22:08 jdreyer

PHJF wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 19:26:
Spartacus was very popular in the torrents. Being on Starz is a surefire way to not get legitimate viewers. I mean cmon, HBO maybe, but Starz? I'm not made of money!

Yeah, Blood and Sand was great. Great world building, good acting, good action, blood, boobies, and stories with more plot twists than you could shake a stick at. And no one was safe. You could never predict who would fall under the sword.

Such a shame about Andy.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 19:26 PHJF

Spartacus was very popular in the torrents. Being on Starz is a surefire way to not get legitimate viewers. I mean cmon, HBO maybe, but Starz? I'm not made of money!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 18:52 scratz

"Be Here Now" looks absolutely crushing while simultaneously being a must-see.

But I say that as a person that has had quite a lot of cancer touch my life. In fact, I've always suspected that the ubiquity of cancer in our society is why Andy's death had such an impact, considering that technically he was an unknown starring in a trashy, not particularly well rated cable TV show (I'm a fan, but you have to realize it had only about 1 million regular viewers). Somehow his diagnosis and death resonated far beyond his fame, and it was educational for the world to witness how that disease can so easily destroy the strongest of us at any time.

Anyway, I'm kickin into the start, even though it has already made its goal. And I"m looking forward to the final product, even if I bawl through the whole thing.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 17:56 Wallshadows

That's a pretty fake trailer unless J.J. Abrams has a thing for reusing Alien Resurrection film between :28 - :33.

Don't worry though, I think I'm the only one who would notice such a thing.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 16:29 Acleacius

Anyone else getting a lot of Adobe Flash crashing since the last update? Is there a patch, rollback or uninstall?

Edit:
ok heres how u do it or how i did it, go to http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html download one of the recent ones before this shit started happening cos its driving me nuts! ok then u go into the read me file and theres a link to get the flash uninstaller so u go to

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html and download either 32 or 64 bit.

then open up C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash

and paste it in there and then run it. then u go bak to ur older downloaded version and install it. the problem should be fixed just dont update it.

hope this helps
wizards

Additionally:
If anyone is having video playback issues and has either upgraded to the 11.x series of flash player or has a more recent version of Fire fox that has this version series, then do the following to downgrade to 10.3:
Previous stable version here:
Version 10.3

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2012, 17:18.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 16:25 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 16:23 Jim

Yeah it's odd with the holiday on a Wednesday, it's almost pointless. I may end up working through and taking another day off later to make a long weekend.

Fireworks started over a month ago in my neighborhood and will probably last through much of the summer. And it seems just about every weekend there is an officially sanctioned (as in, not kids popping them off in their backyards) fireworks display somewhere within earshot of here. I remember when fireworks were shot off only 2 nights a year, now it seems they are done so often that it takes away from the "special occasion" factor. And it would be really awesome if the 4th of July was recognized as something other than just an occasion to blow stuff up.

Jim

8. Re: Firefly Reunion Jun 29, 2012, 16:21  Blue 

SimplyMonk wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 15:35:
nin wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 15:30:
I wondered that also...but now that I look again, the story is listed under images, so I wonder if something got crossed...

Maybe the fact that the image is larger than the article's text and Whedon and Fillion are squinting fairly heavy in that shot? My only guess.

That's all of it. The image seemed to be the majority of the story, and Nathan Fillion looks as stoned as Snoop Dogg in it.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

7. Re: Firefly Reunion Jun 29, 2012, 15:35 SimplyMonk

nin wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 15:30:
I wondered that also...but now that I look again, the story is listed under images, so I wonder if something got crossed...

Maybe the fact that the image is larger than the article's text and Whedon and Fillion are squinting fairly heavy in that shot? My only guess.

6. Re: Firefly Reunion Jun 29, 2012, 15:30 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 15:28:
Bring your own bong? I don't get the reference. I would have expected something along the lines of "Brownshirts unite" or "I'll be in my bunk."

Damn FrontPage 97!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Firefly Reunion Jun 29, 2012, 15:28 jdreyer

Bring your own bong? I don't get the reference. I would have expected something along the lines of "Brownshirts unite" or "I'll be in my bunk."  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 14:07 nin

And still no steam summer sale!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 11:22 Zarkonis

At least you'll have fireworks. Not in Colorado. We've already had enough natural ones this summer.  
Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 11:14 zombiefan

You might have already looked it up, but in case you didn't:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/batten-down-the-hatches.html

As a side note, many terms used in theater production have their origin from nautical terms. A batten is also the long pole on which stage curtains, lights, scenery, etc. is hung.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2012, 11:09 nin

With the holiday, are you seeing Spidey on opening day, Blue? Thought I remember you being a fan, but also having an aversion to theaters...

I'll probably see it, but after the rush dies down, as my expectations are pretty low...

edit:
Star Trek II-teaser trailer 2013.

Wow, so Kahn it is, huh?

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2012, 11:14.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo