Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo

The Steam Page for Sid Meier's Civilization V - Gods and Kings now offers a playable demo for this expansion for Firaxis' turn-based strategy sequel (thanks Frans). There are no details on the demo, so it's not clear if this supports OS X, as the expansion and game itself offer SteamPlay Mac support. Here's word on the add-on:

Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gods and Kings is the first expansion pack for Civilization V - the critically acclaimed 2010 PC Game of the Year. This robust expansion covers the entire scope of time from founding your first Pantheon of the Gods and spreading religion across the world, to deploying your spies in enemy cities in order to steal information and technology.

As you move through the ages, you’ll interact with new types of city-states, engage in new city-state quests and global competitions, and master exciting new systems for land and naval combat. Civilization V: Gods and Kings will also include nine new civilizations, nine new wonders, three original scenarios, and dozens of new units, buildings, and techs that will offer even more ways for players to expand their empire and dominate the world.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 30, 2012, 07:15 eRe4s3r

Armies in CIV5 are ERA based abstractions of fighting potential, so this discussion is completely pointless If you want realism, play CIV4 with realism mods, or wait till civ5 mod sdk finally releases, the reason there are no decent mods is that there is no DLL modding possible like in CIV4, so the major mods don't actually work on civ5 because dozens of game features and scripting features are not in the game anymore (and some were even removed in this expansion, hence even LESS mods work in it)  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 30, 2012, 00:44 gilly775

DG wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 17:45:
The whole spearmen occasionally defeating tanks is debated to death on civ fan forums all the time.

Main thing is really it's just an avatar of a low-tech, cheap military unit against a high-tech high-resource one. I mean, if you're going to say it's the same spearman you created 2,000 years ago... While we're at it, the tank unit is maybe 4 tanks while it'll be 100 spearmen or whatever.

Sure they could probably change the graphic more as the eras progress and turn it into guys with pistols and molotovs or whatever, but then it'd be harder to keep track of whats going on.

Regardless, yeah a spearman could take out a tank. Tanks are crap at unconventional warfare. Hide up a tree, drop down, open hatch and stab everyone inside. Or dig a pit trap. We lost tanks to civilians with molotovs in Iraq. Shit, we lose tanks just moving them around because they fall apart.

There was a point in Civ IV when it was clearly happening too frequently, but it should always be possible for a spearman to defeat a tank.

And how many tanks do you know enter a fight without Infantry nearby? That's right...none.

Look, we can debate this all night long, but the fact is, a spearman from thousands of years ago wouldn't know the first thing about planting an IED, let alone how to open a hatch. If anything, like a previous poster said, they'd probably freak out or better yet, bow down at the awesome sight of it. lol.

18. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 18:15 Quboid

DG wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 17:45:
Regardless, yeah a spearman could take out a tank. Tanks are crap at unconventional warfare. Hide up a tree, drop down, open hatch and stab everyone inside. Or dig a pit trap. We lost tanks to civilians with molotovs in Iraq. Shit, we lose tanks just moving them around because they fall apart.

There was a point in Civ IV when it was clearly happening too frequently, but it should always be possible for a spearman to defeat a tank.

Thank you!

I've made this point on here before, a Spearman should be able to beat a Tank, very very occasionally, because it's not a few spearmen at one end of a field and some tanks at the other one morning. It's global scale; maybe 10,000 spearmen* against 40 tanks*, over miles of terrain and months or years. If those 10,000 men disappear into a forest, your tanks will never find most and the spearmen could wait for the tanks to stop, resupply or rest for the night and swarm them.

Compare that to, say, a helicopter beating a pikeman in a city. In scale, this would be maybe 5 helicopters* versus 2,000 pikemen* - again, they'll practically disappear into the city and the helicopters can't do a damn thing. The pikemen shouldn't beat the helicopter, but the helicopters alone shouldn't do much damage.

The David-beating-Goliath wins should only happen occasionally, but they do only happen occasionally. I've played many hours of Civilization and I've only seen really strange outcomes a handful of times. In Civ 5 I've had some unlike results but nothing even like a Spearman versus a Tank. In fact, I don't think I've seen any games which even feature these two units at once, since the AI and me both keep units up to date.

* I'm using approximate guesses for actual unit sizes of course, but generally the ancient units would have many more times the number of personnel. Also, this (and the lack of combined arms) is ultimate done for game balance and it works very well.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2012, 18:46.

- Quboid

17. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 17:45 DG

The whole spearmen occasionally defeating tanks is debated to death on civ fan forums all the time.

Main thing is really it's just an avatar of a low-tech, cheap military unit against a high-tech high-resource one. I mean, if you're going to say it's the same spearman you created 2,000 years ago... While we're at it, the tank unit is maybe 4 tanks while it'll be 100 spearmen or whatever.

Sure they could probably change the graphic more as the eras progress and turn it into guys with pistols and molotovs or whatever, but then it'd be harder to keep track of whats going on.

16. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 15:44 Krovven

On Sale at Greenmangaming.com I'm caving.

GreenManGaming G&K

15. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 15:12 gilly775

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 14:20:
gilly775 wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 14:07:
Did Civ5 fix the problems with the earlier games where a spearman can take out a tank?

You mean the realism factor, where the spears shouldn't even scratch it? No... I think everyone who's played Civ has thought it should be that way, but making units become completely obsolete would destroy game balance and turn every match into a tech race. Of course spearmen are still way weaker on an even playing field, but with numbers, upgrades, and/or terrain bonuses you could still reasonably defend against a tank or two. The same applies to crossbowmen or musketmen; common sense says they'd just lay down and die when faced with a giant armored beetle moving toward them, but how'd you like the game if you were on the short end of that stick?

Then the race dies out...simple as that. Throughout history, civilizations that don't adapt die off. Heck, older units could get free upgrades to the times based on trade or diplomatic relations. For those of us who faced it from the opposite end, it just sucks to have your modern weapon of war get owned by a spearman, when you'd think you'd roll over the civilization. It's good to know that it's improved but it's still pretty dumb to allow that to happen.

14. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 14:20 jacobvandy

gilly775 wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 14:07:
Did Civ5 fix the problems with the earlier games where a spearman can take out a tank?

You mean the realism factor, where the spears shouldn't even scratch it? No... I think everyone who's played Civ has thought it should be that way, but making units become completely obsolete would destroy game balance and turn every match into a tech race. Of course spearmen are still way weaker on an even playing field, but with numbers, upgrades, and/or terrain bonuses you could still reasonably defend against a tank or two. The same applies to crossbowmen or musketmen; common sense says they'd just lay down and die when faced with a giant armored beetle moving toward them, but how'd you like the game if you were on the short end of that stick?

13. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 14:07 gilly775

dj LiTh wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 03:59:
I'm really digging the revised combat system, its completely destroyed all hope that i'll EVER play Warlock - Master of teh Arcane......

Basically instead of 10hp, they have 100hp, and they tweaked the dmg, so things dont die in like 2 hits anymore, more like 4-5, now taking cities is a real undertaking and defending them easier.

AI is much better (i play on prince - normal difficulty, no AI bonuses and no negatives)

They did a good job, i'm happy /w my purchase

12. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 11:57 AngelicPenguin

Sepharo wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 08:49:
Wow you guys really hate city states. Like I said in an earlier post I'm usually allied with all of them and it makes a ton of difference. Happiness through the roof because of the tons of luxury goods they tend to give.

Ya I play the same way. I think I'm just a softy at heart.

11. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 09:40 eRe4s3r

I just capture them and then gift away stuff I don't need to ally with a major power that's not on my continent If you get it via city state, a single coup would cancel the diplomatic treaty and ruin my day. So nah, it's either full invasion or.. full invasion  

10. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 08:49 Sepharo

Wow you guys really hate city states. Like I said in an earlier post I'm usually allied with all of them and it makes a ton of difference. Happiness through the roof because of the tons of luxury goods they tend to give.  

9. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 08:30 Quboid

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 01:55:
Quboid wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 21:36:
It's pretty good, but it's really just more Civ V. More game play mechanics, more units, more civs - none of the things people have a problem with have been changed.
Well, a lot of people complained about city states and in the expansion they've received a considerable overhaul. They're now much less invasive and better integrate into standard play styles, without simply being money sinks. The AI has also received a lot of attention, another common area of complaint.

Still, more could have been done. Multiplayer is still woefully lacking despite promises that proper support would be added in a patch. It really depends on how much you like the core game but I consider it a strong expansion. For me it was an instant purchase and I've been really enjoying it. Those on the fence are best waiting for the inevitable sale.

I haven't found them to be that different, just fleshed out a bit with more variety. I'm running City State Diplomacy Mod to make them less of a money sink.

The AI is better in general play but it's not perfect. It can build and fight better but negotiation is still a crap shoot. Peace negotiations where an all-but extinct rival refuses to give up one little luxury resource in exchange for the survival of his empire still happen. The AI will expect several luxury and strategic resources, plus gold, to sign a research agreement with no indication as to why they aren't interested in a 50:50 split for a 50:50 deal.

- Quboid

8. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 07:34 eRe4s3r

I agree, taking cities is not done lightly at the beginning, even with catapults or trebuchets, I actually lost my usual 3 bow, 1 catapult 2 swordsman attack against a city with a crossbowman and walls, they targeted my catapults and forests prevented me from reaching into the range to fire in I lost all my bow men, crossbow men and even 2 horse archers without ever really doing more than 30% damage at the end of the turn... i failed that epicly, had to change my entire game strategy so far and that is imo a good thing, though I am no fan of the city state system. I am lately playing entirely without them. They add nothing to the game apart from clutter and the danger that everyone hates you for attacking them. I made it a point to squash every single city state that had an enemy coup happening because you know they have a spy there, and instead of wasting my spies to counter it, I just destroy any hope the AI might have to actually ally with the 1 city state that is right next to me and I take their resources to boot. ;p Allying with city states seems to be a useless endeavor, unless you really really need some resource from them and you can't capture the city quickly for whatever reason.

What I think is good though, is that the AI does not randomly declare war on you, you have to piss them off over time. And it's army positioning is well done, though it still can't handle a army build up a bit away from its borders (I often build roads, and later railways right up to their border in order to quickly connect and advance. And with can't handle I mean, it doesn't place troops in a defensive fortify position or builds roads right up to my border....

7. removed Jun 29, 2012, 06:04 topmywatch777

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 29, 2012, 07:59.

6. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 04:04 jimnms

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 01:55:
Well, a lot of people complained about city states and in the expansion they've received a considerable overhaul. They're now much less invasive and better integrate into standard play styles, without simply being money sinks. The AI has also received a lot of attention, another common area of complaint.

Still, more could have been done. Multiplayer is still woefully lacking despite promises that proper support would be added in a patch. It really depends on how much you like the core game but I consider it a strong expansion. For me it was an instant purchase and I've been really enjoying it. Those on the fence are best waiting for the inevitable sale.

So for in the games I've played, I just ignored city states. In every game I've played so far, I haven't had a city state near me, so getting friendly and protecting one would be a major commitment. I did become friends with one through some odd quest, and they did gift me some obsolete military units a few times.

My first and current game in G&K is the same deal. I'm on a continent with 4 other civs and one city state, and the city state is on the opposite end of the continent. I have a have a scout out scouring the world. I still don't have the ability to travel in deep oceans, so I have had to stick to the coast. I did find a chain of islands with 7 city states each on it's own little 1-2 tile island, and another small continent with 3 city states and nothing else. I'm playing on a standard map, but I bumped the civs up to 10 and city states to 20. I find the default civ/city state numbers for the maps give too much room, so I always add extras to make it more interesting in the beginning fighting for land with such close borders. Although I think I should have added more civs because it's still a bit roomy.

Steam Profile

5. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 03:59 dj LiTh

I'm really digging the revised combat system, its completely destroyed all hope that i'll EVER play Warlock - Master of teh Arcane......

Basically instead of 10hp, they have 100hp, and they tweaked the dmg, so things dont die in like 2 hits anymore, more like 4-5, now taking cities is a real undertaking and defending them easier.

AI is much better (i play on prince - normal difficulty, no AI bonuses and no negatives)

They did a good job, i'm happy /w my purchase

4. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 29, 2012, 01:55 theyarecomingforyou

Quboid wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 21:36:
It's pretty good, but it's really just more Civ V. More game play mechanics, more units, more civs - none of the things people have a problem with have been changed.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

3. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 28, 2012, 22:15 headkase

Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 21:46:
I don't need a demo, just a sale.

Same here. I have plenty to play but I will eventually get it. Might as well be patient enough for a Steam sale.

2. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 28, 2012, 21:46 Cutter

I don't need a demo, just a sale.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Civilization V - Gods and Kings Demo Jun 28, 2012, 21:36 Quboid

- Quboid

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo