Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Radical Entertainment Slashed

Rob Bridgett tweets about the demise of his employer, saying: "RIP Radical Entertainment 1991-2012." Kotaku has a confirmation that while the developer of the Prototype series is not technically closed, it will no longer operate as a separate studio. Here's the statement they received from parent company Activision:

Although we made a substantial investment in the Prototype IP, it did not find a broad commercial audience. Radical is a very talented team of developers, however, we have explored various options for the studio, including a potential sale of the business, and have made a difficult conclusion through the consultation process that the only remaining option is a significant reduction in staff. As such, some employees will remain working for Radical Entertainment supporting other existing Activision Publishing projects, but the studio will cease development of its own games going forward.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Radical Entertainment Slashed Jun 29, 2012, 19:16 Flatline

Slashman wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 09:13:
Flatline wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 02:28:
*Flexes left hand*

Yup... I can still feel it. Holding down the left trigger button basically for 17 hours non-stop in Prototype injured that hand slightly, and do this day I can just barely feel the stiffness and the burn. For the longest time the first joint of my index finger was sore as f*ck as a direct result of playing that stupid game.

So for creating a game where I had to hold down the left trigger to basically do *anything* for 10+ hours and contributing to soft tissue damage, Radical can go fuck themselves.

Not sure why I'd ever want to play this with a controller. Mouse and keyboard worked more than fine for me. Nice to be able to look one way and run another. I had pin-point perfect control.

At the time I didn't have a gaming computer and was playing on console.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Radical Entertainment Slashed Jun 29, 2012, 10:34 Axis

InBlack wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 06:33:
Yeah keep developing those console exclusive games for your papa bear baby! Thats where the dough is!!!

Lesson learned? Make quality games, the ones you want to make. Dont sell out at the first smell of green ESPECIALLY to corporate big name publishers.

^ This

Yours truly,

Axis

13. Re: Radical Entertainment Slashed Jun 29, 2012, 09:13 Slashman

Flatline wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 02:28:
*Flexes left hand*

Yup... I can still feel it. Holding down the left trigger button basically for 17 hours non-stop in Prototype injured that hand slightly, and do this day I can just barely feel the stiffness and the burn. For the longest time the first joint of my index finger was sore as f*ck as a direct result of playing that stupid game.

So for creating a game where I had to hold down the left trigger to basically do *anything* for 10+ hours and contributing to soft tissue damage, Radical can go fuck themselves.

Not sure why I'd ever want to play this with a controller. Mouse and keyboard worked more than fine for me. Nice to be able to look one way and run another. I had pin-point perfect control.

12. Re: Radical Entertainment Slashed Jun 29, 2012, 07:24 Reactor

Keep changing the main character and making the last one a bad guy. That'll be sure to keep the fans happy!

I agree that changing things up for no apparent reason was a boneheaded decision. All they had to do is expand on the original (ala Just Cause) and they would have had a hit.

11. Re: Radical Entertainment Slashed Jun 29, 2012, 06:33 InBlack

Yeah keep developing those console exclusive games for your papa bear baby! Thats where the dough is!!!

Lesson learned? Make quality games, the ones you want to make. Dont sell out at the first smell of green ESPECIALLY to corporate big name publishers.

I have a nifty blue line!

10. removed Jun 29, 2012, 06:01 topmywatch777

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 29, 2012, 08:00.

9. Re: Radical Entertainment Slashed Jun 29, 2012, 03:13 Dirwulf

Prototype 2 to be released on PC despite layoffs

8. Re: Radical Entertainment Slashed Jun 29, 2012, 02:28 Flatline

*Flexes left hand*

7. Re: Radical Entertainment Slashed Jun 29, 2012, 00:13 Slashman

Alamar wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 23:12:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 22:53:
So... what does this mean for the PC port of Prototype 2? Is there a skeleton crew of Radical devs still working on it? Has it been outsourced to another developer? Cancelled? Given the huge delay between the console and PC releases, I have to assume that work on the port hadn't even begun until the console versions had shipped.

Crapple... This is one in a very small list of games I preordered well in advance... It better make it : )

Maybe I should go for a refund before the summer sale starts...

-Alamar

I didn't preorder, but I'd still like to play it at some point.

6. Re: Radical Entertainment Slashed Jun 28, 2012, 23:12 Alamar

Jerykk wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 22:53:
So... what does this mean for the PC port of Prototype 2? Is there a skeleton crew of Radical devs still working on it? Has it been outsourced to another developer? Cancelled? Given the huge delay between the console and PC releases, I have to assume that work on the port hadn't even begun until the console versions had shipped.

Crapple... This is one in a very small list of games I preordered well in advance... It better make it : )

Maybe I should go for a refund before the summer sale starts...

-Alamar

5. Re: Radical Entertainment Slashed Jun 28, 2012, 22:53 Jerykk

4. Re: Radical Entertainment Slashed Jun 28, 2012, 22:43 Slashman

That's odd. I thought they were changing the main character because they wanted to put in someone who was likeable.

The other issue probably being that African American main characters just don't sell as well as Caucasian ones. So adding one on top of the other probably didn't help. I'm assuming he really was a bigger douche than Mercer.

I didn't mind Mercer that much, though. Anti-heroes are sometimes a refreshing change of pace.

3. Re: Radical Entertainment Slashed Jun 28, 2012, 22:18 Rattlehead

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 21:58:
Keep changing the main character and making the last one a bad guy. That'll be sure to keep the fans happy!

They changed the slightly unlikable Alex Mercer for king-douche-asshole-of-the-universe and wonder why people didn't like it. I kept hoping the main character was going to die. Every step of the game he runs in to problems because he was such an asshole to someone. I mean, his daughter's life is in danger because he acts like a dick to someone who is trying to help him. Good move. Make the next guy even more unlikeable!
So you are happy yet another studio folds because of character you didn't like?

2. Re: Radical Entertainment Slashed Jun 28, 2012, 21:58 Agent.X7

They changed the slightly unlikable Alex Mercer for king-douche-asshole-of-the-universe and wonder why people didn't like it. I kept hoping the main character was going to die. Every step of the game he runs in to problems because he was such an asshole to someone. I mean, his daughter's life is in danger because he acts like a dick to someone who is trying to help him. Good move. Make the next guy even more unlikeable!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

1. Re: Radical Entertainment Slashed Jun 28, 2012, 20:59 Rattlehead

Another reason why I tell students in the gaming program at college that they better used to the unemployment line because that's right where they heading with a "career" in the game "industry"

I predict by 2015 the only major publishers left will be Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Valve(only because of Steam), Activision/Blizzard and Zynga. I don't think mega publishers like EA or Ubisoft will last because their big budget projects never seem to recooperate and you can only rely on DLC for long.

Plus with the new generation of consoles costs are going to skyrocket even more.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo