Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Legal Briefs

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 2, 2012, 12:56 Agent.X7

Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 02:06:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 22:13:
Yeah, no knock warrants are so safe for everyone involved. Because nobody has ever shot a cop for that shit, believing they were a bad guy. And cops have never shot innocents before, believing they were the bad guys.

It's bullshit, fascist nonsense that needs to stop.

I know you're being flippant but look at the circumstances. It's not like this was some known gang of criminals running a meth lab or something. Some random person on a random network makes a bullshit threat and the fucking SWAT team shows up? That, my friend, is called a police state.

You won't find me disagreeing with you on this. I was being flippant, but serious at the same time. All these type of raids do is get people injured or killed for no good reason.

We are a police state. Look at how the police treat people. And you are expected to take your beating and then - if you live - take it up in court. Yes, sir. No, sir. Keep my hands on the wheel like a good boy. No massa, I don't want no beating. Please, sir.

Fuck that.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 30, 2012, 00:24 DarkCntry

gray wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 07:44:
DarkCntry wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 21:46:
Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 20:31:
That's just fucking scary. Wow, America, just wow.

Wow, Britain, just wow.*

*Above is stated with no implication that person quoted is British, only that stereotypes are bad, mmkay.

Not quite the same as barging in with flashbangs and guns though is it? (militarized police force)

It really doesn't matter what 'hardware' they use, they still barged in based upon circumstantial evidence that could've easily had absolutely nothing to do with the parties involved.

17. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2012, 12:19 swedishfriend

They didn't raid the wrong home due to an open Wi-Fi network. They raided the wrong home because they are dumb and careless and because a judge gave them a search warrant based solely on an IP address.  

16. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2012, 10:01 Sepharo

SXO wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 08:51:
Why is it necessary for SWAT to prosecute this kind of warrant? I thought SWAT was used for potentially dangerous situations. Some guy sitting at his computer running code doesn't necesitate this level of response. A regular pair of detectives holding their badge and their warrant should suffice for entry.

It was punishment. A we'll-show-them maneuver for the kid who threatened the police on a message board. They weren't actually worried about the threat beyond the everyday stresses of the job.

15. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2012, 09:46 eRe4s3r

Do you not know the saying, If you got a hammer, everything looks like nails?

This is the same situation. Militarized police force that has no reason to exist, has to invent a reason to exist and use said military equipment in order to show why they need to remain militarized. This is the standard government institution bullshit everywhere you go. These Institutions exist solely for their own continued existence. If they didn't bum rush with SWAT and flashbangs and shit, maybe people would ask what reason a SWAT has to run around in a non-violent crime situation.

And this problem is not exclusive to the US

14. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2012, 08:51 SXO

Why is it necessary for SWAT to prosecute this kind of warrant? I thought SWAT was used for potentially dangerous situations. Some guy sitting at his computer running code doesn't necesitate this level of response. A regular pair of detectives holding their badge and their warrant should suffice for entry.  

13. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2012, 07:44 gray

DarkCntry wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 21:46:

Wow, Britain, just wow.*

*Above is stated with no implication that person quoted is British, only that stereotypes are bad, mmkay.

Not quite the same as barging in with flashbangs and guns though is it? (militarized police force)

12. removed Jun 29, 2012, 05:53 topmywatch777

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 29, 2012, 08:00.

11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2012, 04:31 Veterator

So it's OK if you do police state like activities, but have not done a few of the more police statish things...at least one unchecked check on that list.

As long as the home owners can get enough money to discourage them from doing this shit in the future, like 5 million or more. No problem. If they are getting much less than that or somehow the actions are "immune from prosecution due to......" then I'd say the counter to police power has been nullified and you are stepping firmly over the line.

Although I think we're more a blend of police state/corporate state anymore. It's evident by how much money is being spent and how votes are being cast in favor of those kinds of things.

10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2012, 03:12 RailWizard

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 02:50:
Yeah, no knock warrants are so safe for everyone involved. Because nobody has ever shot a cop for that shit, believing they were a bad guy. And cops have never shot innocents before, believing they were the bad guys.

I know you're being flippant but look at the circumstances. It's not like this was some known gang of criminals running a meth lab or something. Some random person on a random network makes a bullshit threat and the fucking SWAT team shows up? That, my friend, is called a police state.

Holy over reaction. What Egypt is now, being presided over by the Muslim Brotherhood will be a police state.

Sure that particular police department did over react a bit, no doubt about it. But if that's what you consider a "police state" you're pretty naive.

Point of view. It's also not like there is an exact checklist to qualify, either.

9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2012, 02:50 RollinThundr

Holy over reaction. What Egypt is now, being presided over by the Muslim Brotherhood will be a police state.

Sure that particular police department did over react a bit, no doubt about it. But if that's what you consider a "police state" you're pretty naive.

8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2012, 02:06 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2012, 00:58 RailWizard

Fuck the police.

(said through wired router, sniff that!)

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2012, 23:54 Acleacius

Even more ridiculous was swat's reply, after the fact. "It's somewhere in the neighborhood, so we are watching carefully.".

So either the media is too dumb to know that's bullshit or they are letting swat lie. It could have been a FREAKING car driving by tapping open wifi, not to mention most people don't know how to set up a hub or router much less anything about computers. We're just geeks.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2012, 22:13 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2012, 21:46 DarkCntry

Wow, Britain, just wow.*

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2012, 21:40 Prez

Words fail me. Just... wow.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2012, 20:38 PHJF

Yeah really, who has an open wifi network anymore???  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2012, 20:31 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo