Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 August 28th

NCsoft announces August 28th is the official launch date for Guild Wars 2, ArenaNet's MMORPG sequel. This kills the rumor the game would be coming today, but we probably knew that by now anyway. The announcement includes word that the stress test announced for next week will be followed by one final beta weekend event from July 20-22. Here's word on the eagerly awaited follow-up:

NCsoft®, the world’s premier publisher and developer of massively multiplayer online games (MMOs), and ArenaNet™, developer of the renowned Guild Wars franchise, today announce that Guild Wars 2, the most anticipated game of 2012, will launch in both Europe and North America on August 28, 2012.

“We’re offering gamers an experience that delivers on the promise of online gaming with a truly social experience in an immense, shared world” Building on sales of more than seven million units of the original game, Guild Wars 2 redefines massively multiplayer online roleplaying games with visceral, action-oriented combat; a gorgeous, living world full of constantly evolving dynamic events; customizable personal storylines that are unique to each player; intense Player vs. Player combat between small teams or massive armies; and most importantly, a shared online world where players work together as allies instead of as rivals - all with no monthly subscription fee.

“We’re offering gamers an experience that delivers on the promise of online gaming with a truly social experience in an immense, shared world,” said Mike O’Brien, president and co-founder of ArenaNet. “After five years of creation, development, and polish, announcing the launch date of Guild Wars 2 is a huge milestone for us, but the thing we’re most looking forward to is seeing gamers from all over the globe explore this world and begin creating their own stories.”

As they prepare for launch, ArenaNet will focus on polishing Guild Wars 2 to ensure the highest quality experience on launch day, which includes hosting a final Beta Weekend Event July 20-22, 2012.

For more information about the Beta Weekend Event and how to pre-purchase Guild Wars 2, visit www.guildwars2.com.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Open beta? Jul 11, 2012, 10:19 Ant

Open beta please.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 29, 2012, 06:43 briktal

Steele Johnson wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 19:06:
I really haven't been following this game very closely, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't this just another "fetch x items, kill x mobs" type game? Isn't this genre way burnt to a crisp?

I like to call these games (and specifically the latest Diablo) a Trash Collecting sim. All you do is run around and pick up useless trash, and then hike back to a place where you can dump it. Over and over and over again. Do that many people have OCD to justify keeping this genre alive? OMG!

The big innovation is that instead of telling you what X is, there's a bar that fills up as you fetch items and kill mobs.

42. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 23:32 RollinThundr

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 20:02:
Why do people insist on signing their own forum posts like it's an important document? You are not a person of significant importance, so I doubt people out there are trying to impersonate you.

I'm really curious, there a quite a few people here who do it and it just vexes me for some reason. Is it to look unique or intriguing?

Yeah I never understood that either, your name is in the upper right corner, are you that pretentious that you need to put your name at the end of every post? Annoys the shit out of me too.

41. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 23:27 RollinThundr

eunichron wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 22:07:
Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 21:49:
eunichron wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 19:57:
Can't wait.

My only fear is that, while I know there will be mountains of content while leveling, that 'end-game' will be all about WvWvW and SPvP. Which isn't necessarily bad, I had a blast playing WvWvW in the last BWE... but I don't want that to be all that there is.

Yes, but that's all any MMO is. That's why Neverwinter was on the right track at least. You need user created content to keep it fresh.

True enough. At the very least if I end up getting bored of GW2 once I hit max level on a few chars, it will only be $60 out of my pocket, and $60 well spent.

I did read something about the dungeons being able to be repeated in some "harder mode" that changed the loot and types of boss encounters. I'm not sure if that's part of end game or not, but at any rate I'm looking forward to the game. I hope there's more to it then PVP though myself. Generally isn't my cup of tea.

40. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 22:07 eunichron

Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 21:49:
Can't wait.

My only fear is that, while I know there will be mountains of content while leveling, that 'end-game' will be all about WvWvW and SPvP. Which isn't necessarily bad, I had a blast playing WvWvW in the last BWE... but I don't want that to be all that there is.

Yes, but that's all any MMO is. That's why Neverwinter was on the right track at least. You need user created content to keep it fresh.

True enough. At the very least if I end up getting bored of GW2 once I hit max level on a few chars, it will only be $60 out of my pocket, and $60 well spent.

39. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 21:49 Cutter

Can't wait.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

38. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 21:00 WyldKat

Alamar wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 19:54:
WyldKat wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 17:20:
nin wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 17:12:
They just need to tweak everything and make the game run off the GPU not just the CPU.

Was wondering if they fixed that yet. I didn't make the last weekend beta (I have the worst luck and have basically missed both so far, outside of like 2 hours).

They've made some improvements, but still have a lot to go. Tim Collins is completely wrong about the gameplay though. Only a complete idiot would insist on spamming the 1 button, that's the auto-attack...

Only a 'complete idiot' would misread what someone else typed, and look like a fool : )

Edit: And yes, it is just another "fetch x items, kill x mobs" type game? That's the genre : ) They add a few improvements to it, just like City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, etc, did...

-Alamar

I didn't misread what Tim Collins said. He said Guild Wars 2 was a faceroll game because he could keep spamming the 1 key (the auto-attack). Having played sPVP, WvW, the first dungeon, as well as varying levels of dynamic content I know first-hand that if you play this way (i.e. spamming the 1 key, which by the way is set to auto-attack), you will die often and be completely ineffective.

37. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 20:02 Rattlehead

Why do people insist on signing their own forum posts like it's an important document? You are not a person of significant importance, so I doubt people out there are trying to impersonate you.

I'm really curious, there a quite a few people here who do it and it just vexes me for some reason. Is it to look unique or intriguing?

36. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 19:57 eunichron

Can't wait.

35. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 19:54 Alamar

WyldKat wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 17:20:
They just need to tweak everything and make the game run off the GPU not just the CPU.

Was wondering if they fixed that yet. I didn't make the last weekend beta (I have the worst luck and have basically missed both so far, outside of like 2 hours).

They've made some improvements, but still have a lot to go. Tim Collins is completely wrong about the gameplay though. Only a complete idiot would insist on spamming the 1 button, that's the auto-attack...

Only a 'complete idiot' would misread what someone else typed, and look like a fool : )

Edit: And yes, it is just another "fetch x items, kill x mobs" type game? That's the genre : ) They add a few improvements to it, just like City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, etc, did...

-Alamar

34. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 19:31 Agent.X7

I really haven't been following this game very closely, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't this just another "fetch x items, kill x mobs" type game? Isn't this genre way burnt to a crisp?

I like to call these games (and specifically the latest Diablo) a Trash Collecting sim. All you do is run around and pick up useless trash, and then hike back to a place where you can dump it. Over and over and over again. Do that many people have OCD to justify keeping this genre alive? OMG!

Can't tell if you're trolling or just being ignorant. You could do a summary like that of every genre of games.

Shooters: Isn't this just another put the dot in the right place and press mouse button one game?

Platforms: Isn't this just another press x and a direction over and over to get somewhere only to find your princess is in another castle?

I mean, really. Do you not like sex? I mean it's all the same fucking thing, right? (rimshot!) How much of that can you do before it's boring?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

33. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 19:27 Rattlehead

Couldn't be more wrong. Just because you say you could be wrong doesn't mean you can say something stupid and get away with it.

32. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 19:06 Steele Johnson

31. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 19:05 Ray Marden

My wife liked the game enough that we purchased one account and, after playing in one beta, purchased a second account.

Seeing what the game offers for "free" compared to the games that request $15.00 on a monthly basis (such as Wow which is utterly rotting at the moment) does make me question the worth of some of these other games.
Though, it does push cash transactions like a whore.
From what little I played, I generally liked GW2, though some parts of it remind me of the limited, shallow game that was Guild Wars (at least around release.) In some areas, I felt there was just too much clutter, the map was too artistic in place of being functional, too much loading of zones, a mildly clunky UI, etc.

As for the events, I did not play in the most recent beta, but they felt really broken to me. Yes, there is always something going on, but...often, it felt like too much. I could be in a middle of a quest and my event just seemed to stop for no reason...or I could be in an event and have all my notifications disappear because of alerts pertaining to another event I was not doing...or the repeating of an event that I already did just a minute ago because they're all over the place...or receiving alerts about an event that is clearly on the other side of the map, past a handful of oher events, when I am leveling in a completely different area...or getting inconsistent credit for my effort...or swarms of 20 mobs ignoring 19 other charactrs to single target 1 specific player, instantly killing them...some dynamic events leading to others while others just reset and go nowhere...etc.

On the positive side, you could tell the difference of people getting a reward (or at least no penalty) from working together and there was an increased sense of cooperation. And my issues aside, the game does present a lot of nice, little things to help this feel, at least intitially, like a game that is a bit different than the standard WoW clone. I hold Guild Wars in a fairly low regard, but one beta of Guild Wars 2 was enough to get me to purchase accounts for both of us...

Having found the Charr storry to be extremely lackluster,
Ray

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2012, 19:11.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

30. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 18:12 Agent.X7

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 17:54:
Well we have a date.

I think to be fair this game isn't being released under the famous statement of "When it's done". They haven't proven it yet in their BWE's. The last one they changed the skill tree, so that is some late cold feet for sure.

Someone a top came down and told them... here's the date. And imo now they scramble. It's not in terrible shape, but this beta was nothing like the pure elegance of GW1's betas. They are still working on getting the GPU to handle more of the load to get proper performance.

I think people mis-remember the Guild Wars 1 beta, or they just played the beta weekends immediately before the release.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

29. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 17:54 HorrorScope

Well we have a date.

I think to be fair this game isn't being released under the famous statement of "When it's done". They haven't proven it yet in their BWE's. The last one they changed the skill tree, so that is some late cold feet for sure.

Someone a top came down and told them... here's the date. And imo now they scramble. It's not in terrible shape, but this beta was nothing like the pure elegance of GW1's betas. They are still working on getting the GPU to handle more of the load to get proper performance.

28. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 17:20 WyldKat

27. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 17:12 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 17:05 Tim Collins

Having played the beta in every event with a mesmer I can tell u it felt very how u say......roll my face across the keyboard is a valid strat....spammy ish. I like how they make 1 ability do 1 thing and do another thing the 2nd time u click it(spam approved). They just need to tweak everything and make the game run off the GPU not just the CPU.  

25. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 16:04 WyldKat

BEST. DAY. EVER!

Until August 25th, that is!

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo