Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG

Funcom announces development of a new MMOG based on LEGO minifigures, apparently undeterred by the fairly rapid failure of LEGO Universe, which triggered the demise of developer Netdevil. "The market for family-friendly online experiences intended for children and youngsters is brimming with potential," says Funcom CEO Trond Arne Aas. "Being able to work with a world-renowned brand such as the LEGOŽ brand to develop an MMO for this audience is incredibly exciting to us as game developers and for Funcom as a company. This is source material we all know and love and we simply cannot wait to get started working with the LEGO Group on realizing this exciting project." Here's more:

The massively multiplayer online game that Funcom will develop based on the LEGOŽ Minifigures franchise will focus on maximum accessibility. Funcom and the LEGO Group will work together to make the game available to consumers in their online channels and will be coordinating activities to provide a broad and enhanced experience for the product line. The game will be a prominent part of the LEGOŽ Minifigures online experience which already has millions of unique visitors per month.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jul 11, 2012, 10:18 Ant

Are Age of Conan and other Funcom even worth trying?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 29, 2012, 17:54 SimplyMonk

Dev wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 00:41:
SimplyMonk wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 13:46:
you can't ague against the fact that they haven't closed their doors and all their games are still running in one form or another.
Didn't I read a while back they were closing down one of their games?

Conan and Anarchy Online are still up. Conan might be close to dying though.

Today I learned Anarchy Online is getting/got a new graphics engine. I am mildly intrigued.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2012, 19:20.

14. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 29, 2012, 00:41 Dev

SimplyMonk wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 13:46:
you can't ague against the fact that they haven't closed their doors and all their games are still running in one form or another.
Didn't I read a while back they were closing down one of their games?

13. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 28, 2012, 18:02 NKD

1AngryGamer wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 17:00:
The same way Vanguard and most of Sony's shitty MMO's are still running: skeleton crew and free to play means: no need to promise monthly subscribers any sort of content update

And yet it funds further game development... so I'm not seeing the problem. Sure, their games may not be huge AAA blockbusters, but if they are profitable and the people playing their games are happy enough to keep buying F2P shit...

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

12. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 28, 2012, 17:00 Angrius Maximis

The same way Vanguard and most of Sony's shitty MMO's are still running: skeleton crew and free to play means: no need to promise monthly subscribers any sort of content update  

11. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 28, 2012, 16:21 OneEye

1AngryGamer wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 15:44:
Their games are running because they are free to play

Makes no sense. They are still running because they are making money (reguarless if they are free to play...)

10. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 28, 2012, 16:19 Wowbagger_TIP

1AngryGamer wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 15:44:
Being free to play doesn't keep them running though. People buying stuff or them going into debt keeps them running. Not sure how much of each is occurring though.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 28, 2012, 15:44 Angrius Maximis

8. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 28, 2012, 14:08 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 10:45:
Are they still going to be solvent after the failure that is TSW? Even if they are TSW shows that they just don't have what it takes to make an MMO...at least on time and on budget. I'll bet dollars to donuts this will not end well.

Well one thing to consider is that according to general Interwebz opinion, every game Funcom has ever launched has been a failure, but they are still here, their MMOs are still running, and they are still making new games, so... they must be doing something right.

Remember that these guys aren't blowing $300 million on development. They only need very modest numbers to be profitable.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

7. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 28, 2012, 13:46 SimplyMonk

As much as I like to rag on Funcom for a number of valid reasons, you can't ague against the fact that they haven't closed their doors and all their games are still running in one form or another. So somehow they are staying profitable. That fact alone must be what keeps getting them business.

<waits for looming new story of insurmountable debt driving Funcom into the ground>

6. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 28, 2012, 12:11 Angrius Maximis

Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 10:45:
Are they still going to be solvent after the failure that is TSW? Even if they are TSW shows that they just don't have what it takes to make an MMO...at least on time and on budget. I'll bet dollars to donuts this will not end well.

^^ this

5. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 28, 2012, 12:03 Angrius Maximis

Hot on the heels of the soon to be released shoddy and unfinished The Secret World Funcom moves right on to release more buggy crap filled games!  

4. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 28, 2012, 11:06 Ozmodan

Businesses that ignore market trends are will soon be on life support. You really have to wonder how this studio continues to exist.  

3. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 28, 2012, 11:05 Spektr

Blackhawk wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 09:56:
your primary audience doesn't have money,

Indeed, with the number of video games market gurus out there it's surprising that it hasn't occurred to them yet.

The failure of Lego universe in the wake of the huge success of a game like Minecraft should leave a lot to think about.

2. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 28, 2012, 10:45 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 28, 2012, 09:56 Blackhawk

I hope they plan on making it free-to-play, because here's a hint: your primary audience doesn't have money, and households with multiple children don't want to have to shell out $60 each for multiple copies and pay multiple $15 subscriptions for an activity for their kids when kids' attention tends to turn somewhere else a month later. Not when something like Roblox is available for free, and does Lego style gameplay well enough already.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo