Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art?

This Facebook Page has artwork that fan site ValveTime believes is from Half-Life 2: Episode 3 circa 2008, saying: "These fantastic images have been sent in by an anonymous visitor to the site from an unknown source. Despite that, we have no reason to believe they aren't real. One could argue that perhaps they are just generic Half-Life 2 concept art of concepts that never made it into the final game. But there's plenty of evidence here to suggest they are post Episode 2." Computer and Video Games says they've reached out to Valve for comment.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 11:58 Orogogus

kanniballl wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 08:31:
Acleacius wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 23:28:
Wallshadows wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 21:26:
Has Valve ever given a reason as to why they hate making a third title in a series or is that just a fallacy created by fans?
No but Gordon is the problem, no speech or character depth.

Some people like that: by Gordon NOT talking it immerses you more into the story... that YOU'RE Gordon.

The imagination can cope with that a lot more than "your" voice-over speaking for you... often saying something you wouldn't even want to say. Or going into 3rd person to show "you" doing something or talking to someone.

Personally, I don't care either way. But to some people, doing it that way tells the story better than occasionally turning the game into an advanced "pop up book"

I just wish they wouldn't draw attention to the fact in-game. As soon as someone says "Strong, silent type, eh?" I just want to say "Mmmfff mmf mmrrf!!!"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 10:29 ^Drag0n^

Beamer wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 08:40:
Gordon not talking also enforces the idea that he's just a tool.

Agreed.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

27. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 10:04 InBlack

xornand wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 08:08:
Hope Ep.3 never comes out.
Valve needs a new IP but Gabe Newowl is too busy being fat.
Half-Life might be one the most overrated games/series ever.

As opposed to what exactly? Halo? Crysis? Can you name one shooter that surpasses Half Life in quality?

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 09:20 wtf_man

Has Valve ever given a reason as to why they hate making a third title in a series or is that just a fallacy created by fans?

Teh Gabe's Big Mac attacks are satisfied with teh left4dead, portal, and Steam stuff... so teh Gabe does not give a shit.

25. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 08:40 Beamer

Gordon not talking also enforces the idea that he's just a tool. He has no real free will, he's just pointed in a direction and told to smash. It's an interesting dynamic that may have been accidental in the first one but is definitely explored in the second one - you're the hero of legend but all you really do is wear an indestructible suit and blow stuff up real good.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 08:31 kanniballl

No but Gordon is the problem, no speech or character depth.

Some people like that: by Gordon NOT talking it immerses you more into the story... that YOU'RE Gordon.

The imagination can cope with that a lot more than "your" voice-over speaking for you... often saying something you wouldn't even want to say. Or going into 3rd person to show "you" doing something or talking to someone.

Personally, I don't care either way. But to some people, doing it that way tells the story better than occasionally turning the game into an advanced "pop up book"

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 08:08 xornand

Hope Ep.3 never comes out.
Valve needs a new IP but Gabe Newowl is too busy being fat.
Half-Life might be one the most overrated games/series ever.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2012, 08:17.

22. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 06:53 Beamer

No but Gordon is the problem, no speech or character depth. Valve can't stay locked in that pattern for long and they are innovators. My guess is they are adding a whole new storyline/arc with a new lead PC.

Not to mention, everyone wants COOP!

I'll never understand the complaints about Gordon. HL2 probably had the deepest world any FPS has been set in. Gordon not talking didn't hurt that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 05:43 InBlack

SM0k3 wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 02:02:
I think it's about time to hang up the half-life series.

Erm...why?

20. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 05:42 InBlack

Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are probably the best examples of story driven first person shooters. Im reasonably sure that HL3 is production and has been for some time, they are keeping it under wraps because of the fiasco with the HL2 leak. Valve NOT making HL3 would be the real surprise.  

19. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 02:19 ViRGE

ADD. They are incapable of focusing on any one thing for too long.

18. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 02:08 Sepharo

“Everyone who was working on Ricochet 2 continues to work on Ricochet 2.“  

17. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 02:02 SM0k3

I think it's about time to hang up the half-life series.  

16. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 01:54 Jerykk

No but Gordon is the problem, no speech or character depth. Valve can't stay locked in that pattern for long and they are innovators. My guess is they are adding a whole new storyline/arc with a new lead PC.

A silent protagonist is not a problem. See Portal's success. As long as the surrounding story and characters are compelling, people don't have a problem with silent protagonists.

Especially if they plan on releasing another basic "Heres a few weapons and a health meter." shooter. That formula was already long in the tooth when HL2 came out.

The HL games have some of the best level design out there. That's what separates them from most of today's shooters that rely entirely on fancy set pieces to cover up lazy design.

15. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 01:14 Prez

I'm beyond caring about Half Life. Kinda like Valve has seemed to be for the last several years.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2012, 11:49.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 00:17 TheEmissary

NKD wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 22:59:
HL2 Ep3 or HL3, whatever people are calling it now, is already past that point where no matter what Valve releases it won't live up to the time it took for it to actually come out.

Especially if they plan on releasing another basic "Heres a few weapons and a health meter." shooter. That formula was already long in the tooth when HL2 came out.

That's not to say HL2 wasn't a great game, but it's been a lot of years. I want something more than a 1990s formula shooter with a slightly improved Source engine.

The episodic model is the only thing that has failed and Valve has admitted that. They are more than likely developing a real sequel to finish the series out. Once you realize that then remember the 6 year gap between HL1 and 2. Half-life was never a 90's shooter considering that most 90's shooters emulated the no plot quake style. There is nothing wrong with the way Half-life tells its story that makes it dated.

13. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 00:11 DangerDog

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 23:09:

How about fewer weapons, regenerating health, and quicktime events. That's all the rage!

make it 3rd person for easy console port and you've got a deal!

12. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 27, 2012, 23:28 Acleacius

Not to mention, everyone wants COOP!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

11. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 27, 2012, 23:09 Mad Max RW

NKD wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 22:59:
HL2 Ep3 or HL3, whatever people are calling it now, is already past that point where no matter what Valve releases it won't live up to the time it took for it to actually come out.

That's not to say HL2 wasn't a great game, but it's been a lot of years. I want something more than a 1990s formula shooter with a slightly improved Source engine.

How about fewer weapons, regenerating health, and quicktime events. That's all the rage!

10. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 27, 2012, 22:59 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo