Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA Win8 Drivers

NVIDIA now offers new version 302.82 HQL-certified Windows 8 drivers. Word is: "This is a WHQL-certified GeForce driver to be used only with the Microsoft Windows 8 Release Preview. This driver should not be used with Windows Vista or Windows 7. This driver offers full support for the new Windows 8 display driver model WDDM 1.2." Thanks HARDOCP.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. removed Jun 29, 2012, 06:02 topmywatch777

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 29, 2012, 08:00.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: NVIDIA Win8 Drivers Jun 28, 2012, 21:49 Gib007

I've just installed Windows 8 Release Preview on my laptop to give it a go. So far not impressed. Far too convoluted for a PC user and removes a lot of the experience that makes Windows 7 a mature, stable and usable PC OS. I don't think Windows 8 will see the light of day on my desktop PC, ever.

What troubles me is this is the way Microsoft seems to be going even for PCs. Eventually we will need to upgrade (Windows 9 or 10) and who knows...

11. Re: NVIDIA Win8 Drivers Jun 28, 2012, 18:25 Dmitri_M

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 14:02:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 22:38:
Windows 8 is terrible. Flat out terrible.
That's simply not true. I agree that Metro apps are terrible with mouse and keyboard but as a desktop operating system is it much better than Win7 - from the multi-monitor improvements, to Task Manager, to file copying, to cloud-based accounts, to the Explorer ribbon and the introduction of Storage Spaces. I can't believe there are people still defending the old Start Menu when since Vista it was limited to around 250 pixels in width. On any modern monitor that is absolutely ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, there are some changes that I really don't like. But as a desktop operating system it is an improvement on Windows 7. Is it an essential upgrade? No, not for most people. Is it worth using? Absolutely.
From your sig you seem like one of those guys who believes anything new is good. I used to be like that with hardware too. Then I decided to shift to buying hardware that maximises value. The longer it sits in my pc while maintaining good performance the better. I expect Win 7 will remain installed on my pc for a few years. I intend to get my money's worth.

10. Re: NVIDIA Win8 Drivers Jun 28, 2012, 17:44 Muscular Beaver

Too high minimum resolution requirements for touch devices and too much touch constraint for desktops.
Epic fail.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

9. Re: NVIDIA Win8 Drivers Jun 28, 2012, 14:42 Verno

The unfortunate interaction disparities between Metro and Win32 apps combined with Metros limitations will likely make it a non-seller with consumers. I can't really agree that it contains any essentials that make it a worthy upgrade at $150+ over Windows 7 for the average person either, most of the new features are enthusiast trappings and even they will likely balk at some which have third party solutions already.

I don't think its a bad operating system per se, that's kind of a vague generalization anyway but I think its practical usage scenarios are hampered by a rush to market to snap up some iPad marketshare. It's up against businesses that have barely started migrating to Windows 7, competitors who have existing app DBs in the millions, a public enamored with Apple products and a largely indifferent developer/enthusiast market.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

8. Re: NVIDIA Win8 Drivers Jun 28, 2012, 14:02 theyarecomingforyou

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 22:38:
That's simply not true. I agree that Metro apps are terrible with mouse and keyboard but as a desktop operating system is it much better than Win7 - from the multi-monitor improvements, to Task Manager, to file copying, to cloud-based accounts, to the Explorer ribbon and the introduction of Storage Spaces. I can't believe there are people still defending the old Start Menu when since Vista it was limited to around 250 pixels in width. On any modern monitor that is absolutely ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, there are some changes that I really don't like. But as a desktop operating system it is an improvement on Windows 7. Is it an essential upgrade? No, not for most people. Is it worth using? Absolutely.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

7. Re: NVIDIA Win8 Drivers Jun 28, 2012, 08:34 Burrito of Peace

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 07:36:
Who would use a tablet OS on a PC.. mystery

A couple million misguided Apple users for a start...

6. Re: NVIDIA Win8 Drivers Jun 28, 2012, 07:36 eRe4s3r

Who would use a tablet OS on a PC.. mystery  

5. Re: NVIDIA Win8 Drivers Jun 28, 2012, 06:38 Julio

Spaced wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 23:15:
I'm sure both Windows 8 users will be thrilled

They haven't had time to remove it from their new PCs yet and replace it with Win 7.

4. Re: NVIDIA Win8 Drivers Jun 28, 2012, 04:26 xornand

Do Not Want.  

3. Re: NVIDIA Win8 Drivers Jun 27, 2012, 23:15 Spaced

I'm sure both Windows 8 users will be thrilled  

2. Re: NVIDIA Win8 Drivers Jun 27, 2012, 22:38 [VG]Reagle

The First Newell
Gabe's Watching
[VG]Reagle Beagle

1. Re: NVIDIA Win8 Drivers Jun 27, 2012, 21:26 theyarecomingforyou

Windows 8: Updated the NVIDIA Control Panel -> Set up stereoscopic 3D page to support
Windows 8 implementation of stereoscopic 3D.
Considering that's the only change listed it doesn't seem like it's even worth the effort of installing them. Still, I'll probably give them a try later. Gaming in Windows 8 is great when it works but there are still a fair few games with issues (Crysis 2, Max Payne 3, LA Noire, etc).

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo