Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details?

Pastebin has what are said to be details on plans for new Mass Effect 3 DLC found in the new extended cut of BioWare's action/RPG sequel. The spoilery post includes details on a plot involving a Reaper named Leviathan, and supporting the idea that more content for the game us coming is a new tweet by Mike Gamble noticed by Eurogamer which reads: "As I've said before, we do this for you! EC was our gift to the fans. Hope you enjoyed. Also...keep your ears open over the next little while." Thanks BioWare Social Network.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

47. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 15:41 Flatline

Creston wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 13:54:
I wished they had just kept it a mystery. Like what Sovereign said, that their motivations are so far beyond us we'll never understand it. Failing that, then make their motivation simply self-serving. The Reapers are an extra-galactic race that can only procreate and grow through absorbing entire cultures. It makes them very similar to the Borg, but at least the Borg made sense.

I'd have preferred keeping the Reapers a mystery as well. I don't *need* to know why they're doing what they're doing. It's kind of Lovecraftian, but that's fine.

I get what this ending sort of does. It's a fucked up Nietzsche/ubermensch concept. As it stands now, the reapers are beyond good & evil. They exist on their own morality to "take care of" organic life. It's trite, and not very well handled, and is hackney writing, but I guess I get the concept. It fails though because it's such a tangential skein to end a very long story. It might have worked a lot better if most of the game's plot hammered on the idea that Shepard was exercising a morality that was "beyond" what the rest of the Galaxy was using. I mean, you sort of touch on that idea every now and again, but by the time you meet the Star Child, that should all gel.

I always thought it would be funny to have the mega weapon actually function as a massive, epic version of a mass effect relay, and you get the entire goddamn galaxy of intelligent beings together in Sol system, and everyone is there fighting the Reapers, and Shepard blows the weapon, and it evacs all non-reapers to another galaxy. BAM!. Non Servium. We choose to get off this goddamn merry-go-round. Keep the damn galaxy. There's a hundred billion others to inhabit.

Kind of grim for all the factions you don't rally together and for the people you leave behind, because the cycle will continue, but it'd be kind of an amusing ending.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 15:31 m00t

Creston wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 14:07:
m00t wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 13:59:
And in 2 minutes NagaDeath comes up with a vastly more plausible reason for the existence of the Reapers.

The EC is better than the original lazy crap they pulled, but the endings, the reason for the Reapers, and the story for ME3 are all pretty crappy in context of the first two games.

Errr, what NegaDeath posted IS the exact explanation that's given to you by the Catalyst in the Extended Cut. It's not like he made it up on the spot. The only difference is that the Catalyst isn't happy about the Crucible at all, and in fact they've tried to destroy the design several cycles back.

Creston

No? The WunderKind says that the ones who created the WunderKind created the first Reapers themselves, not that the AI came up with it on its own. Rogue and buggy software makes more sense than the crap WunderKind spews.

Also, in EC it says Synthesis can't be forced. But just Shephard choosing isn't forcing it on to others? It's still a shitty nonsense ending.

45. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 15:17 Cabezone

Takyris also posted a bunch of other insider tidbits. Like how the terrible, and broken, side quests were shoved in during the last couple of months to pad out the game.

He mostly stuck to explaining a lot of the stuff he wrote.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2012, 15:24.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

44. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 15:09 Cabezone

Creston wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:13:
Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:48:
I think he was referring to internal dissent about the writing team being precluded from working on the ending.

I'm pretty sure that was debunked, actually. The post that made such claims was simply fake.

Creston

Actually it was a real post from one of the ME writers. He was a long time poster on the Penny Arcade forums. Shortly after posting that he stopped posting entirely on PA. Bioware says it was fake, but I read it right after the dude posted it and he never claimed that his account was hacked.

EDIT: some of the stuff in that article may have been bullshit added later but the aprts about Mac and Casey writing the end solo and shoving it out to the rest of the writers after it was done is absolutely something he said.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2012, 15:21.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

43. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 14:39 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 14:20:
Yeah, except for the Crucible bit it's basically how the Catalyst came to be, and how the Reapers were created. Spoiler: It's somewhat heavily inferred that Harbinger was in fact the first Reaper, and he was created from the civilization that created the Catalyst, and they were NOT happy about being turned into a Reaper.
Creston

Works for me. I never liked the idea of a godlike being running the show in such a technically minded universe.

42. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 14:24 StingingVelvet

Lokust wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 13:46:
@Axis

That's a pretty dumb generalization. Broken Steel for Fallout 3 was at least a full expansion worth of content for much less of what expansions generally would cost.

Point Lookout was the impressive one to me, it basically was an expansion for $10. Some DLC is awesome, some is a rip-off, the same as games themselves.

41. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 14:20 Creston

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 14:11:
Errr, what NegaDeath posted IS the exact explanation that's given to you by the Catalyst in the Extended Cut. It's not like he made it up on the spot. The only difference is that the Catalyst isn't happy about the Crucible at all, and in fact they've tried to destroy the design several cycles back.
Creston

Well I haven't watched the new endings yet but I'm glad it's close to what I was thinking.

Yeah, except for the Crucible bit it's basically how the Catalyst came to be, and how the Reapers were created. Spoiler: It's somewhat heavily inferred that Harbinger was in fact the first Reaper, and he was created from the civilization that created the Catalyst, and they were NOT happy about being turned into a Reaper.

Creston

40. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 14:11 NegaDeath

Creston

Well I haven't watched the new endings yet but I'm glad it's close to what I was thinking.

39. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 14:07 Creston

m00t wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 13:59:
And in 2 minutes NagaDeath comes up with a vastly more plausible reason for the existence of the Reapers.

The EC is better than the original lazy crap they pulled, but the endings, the reason for the Reapers, and the story for ME3 are all pretty crappy in context of the first two games.

Creston

38. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 13:59 m00t

37. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 13:55 Axis

As I said I just won't pay for one, but of course it depends on how much you actually 'get' out of it.

While a few companies take PC users seriously and actually make a DLC worth buying, most do not.

Fortunately the DLC wars have matured a bit and we're seeing more quality DLC's that really should be called an 'expansion', but the word 'DLC' is synonymous with 'cheaper' so it pulls in more buyers if it appears to actually be worthy to purchase.

Yours truly,

Axis

36. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 13:54 Creston

Warskull wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:26:

That explains a lot. ME3 feels like they completely pulled the explanation for the reaper's out of their ass with no thought. Even in the extended cut the reapers don't make any sense. The new writers probably did pull the explanation out of their ass. Breaking up the ME2 team was clearly an awful idea.

Yeah, but to be honest, the original idea of "Dark Energy" wasn't much better. Not 100% sure how it was supposed to go, but basically the organics using Mass Effect fields is creating more Dark Energy, which is slowly but surely devouring the Galaxy, and the Reapers are here to stop that from happening. The reason it doesn't make sense is that

A) Why wait until organics have already been using it for 10.000 years (in the case of the Turians and Asari) and
B) Why not just put a fucking sign up that says "DONT USE MASS EFFECT FIELDS AS IT WILL BLOW UP THE UNIVERSE!"

There really is no way to make what the Reapers are doing seem logical, at least not if you're trying to make it appear that they believe they're doing what's best for "us." There can never be anything so bad that genocide is an acceptable answer.

I wished they had just kept it a mystery. Like what Sovereign said, that their motivations are so far beyond us we'll never understand it. Failing that, then make their motivation simply self-serving. The Reapers are an extra-galactic race that can only procreate and grow through absorbing entire cultures. It makes them very similar to the Borg, but at least the Borg made sense.

The Reaper explanation now is crazy, but at least you can see that the Catalyst BELIEVES that it's true, and therefore he continues doing it. It's hard to reason with someone who's insane.

Creston

35. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 13:46 Lokust

@Axis

That's a pretty dumb generalization. Broken Steel for Fallout 3 was at least a full expansion worth of content for much less of what expansions generally would cost.

34. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 13:46 Verno

Axis wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 13:42:
Never bought a DLC, never will.

1/20th of an expansion for 1/3 the price. Yea, no thanks. Keep it to console players - they're the dumb ones hungry for content.

Err, this DLC is free.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

33. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 13:46 Creston

The Pyro wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:42:
ME3 is a solid game despite the ending. Spoilery discussion of the ending is below:

ThePyro: All the points you raise in #2 are actually explained in the Extended Cut.

Note that the Catalyst doesn't have to BE right. He just has to BELIEVE that he is. When you talk to him now, it's quite clear to me that he's simply insane. The civilization that created him never intended for him to instigate the Reaper Cycle, so in essence he's proving himself right when he says that Synthetics will always kill organics, because that's exactly what he's doing.

Creston

32. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 13:42 Axis

Never bought a DLC, never will.

1/20th of an expansion for 1/3 the price. Yea, no thanks. Keep it to console players - they're the dumb ones hungry for content.

Yours truly,

Axis

31. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 13:41 Creston

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:14:
Creston wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:09:
I wouldn't do it, if I was you. The DLC is available, just get it. It SHOULD have been there to begin with. Don't ruin it for yourself, just watch the Extended cut, and then watch the original ending afterwards on Youtube.

I guess I could do that. From what I understand the core ending is unchanged anyway, right?

Yeah, they're the same endings, they're just better explained and they are actually (thematically) different from each other this time around apart from a different color explosion.

Creston

30. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 13:13 Scheherazade

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:28:
Finally started playing this, about 7 hours in right now. Will be very interested in seeing the original ending that pissed everyone off, so I haven't downloaded the DLC. People seem to think said ending ruins 3 amazing games worth of content and by itself is an example of Bioware's plummeting stock, so... will be interesting.

The DLC adds a new ending, and adds more dialogue to the original ending(s) - but the original ending's are still there.
No point in not loading the DLC, especially when the difference is only a few lines of dialog in a cutscene.

People aren't all that mad about the endings themselves.
Sure, they look very similar, and they break some established canon (destroying a relay wipes out entire solar systems in ME2, but in ME3 that's no longer the case).

The really big deal is that you can get any of the endings at any time, REGARDLESS of what you did earlier. You're just presented with an A,B,C option at the end, asking you "with which ending would you like to finish the game?".
Basically, your earlier choices didn't matter. All you do is pointless.

What happens to the Krogans is pointless. What happens to the Rachni is pointless. Doesn't matter who's dead or alive. Etc. Just pick your ending.

And guess what, that's STILL the case even with the DLC.

-scheherazade

P.S.
The multiplayer is really good. I love it.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2012, 13:41.

29. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 13:01 Cutter

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:30:
Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:23:
RollinThundr wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:10:
A gift to the fans? Bioware devs just get more and more pretentious and douchy as time goes on it seems.

I know, right? A gift? Are they fucking kidding me?

It's kind of a gift by definition because it was free, right?

Sort of like buing your rape victim a drink after the fact? That's obviously what you mean.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

28. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 12:55 NegaDeath

The Pyro wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:42:
ME3 is a solid game despite the ending. Spoilery discussion of the ending is below:

etc etc

My favorite theory is basically a variant of I, Robot. 1st cycle has major problem with synthetics and is losing the war. Synthetics plan to purge all organics permanently. Organics come up with an advanced AI to find a solution. Synthetics stopped somehow but in AI's mind that isn't a permanent solution. Organics left the parameters for a final solution too loose out of desperation so the AI is free to come to a crazy conclusion. AI decides the only final answer is to "prune" the space faring races advanced enough to create synthetics that can destroy them. It looks at organic life as a whole instead of individuals so removing one part to save the whole is logical. Using organic tissue in Reaper construction is, in it's mind, a way of honoring or preserving those lost species. AI kills it's creators, designs the system for controlling future organic development and the end of cycle trap. Cycles are getting smarter however and warning the next, it's solution won't last much longer. Crucible is a new kind of technology, possibly the first actual new tech created since the 1st cycle, and it's abilities offer Starchild new solutions. It cannot decide between them and leaves the decision to the only organic to ever reach it.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2012, 14:09.

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo