Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details?

Pastebin has what are said to be details on plans for new Mass Effect 3 DLC found in the new extended cut of BioWare's action/RPG sequel. The spoilery post includes details on a plot involving a Reaper named Leviathan, and supporting the idea that more content for the game us coming is a new tweet by Mike Gamble noticed by Eurogamer which reads: "As I've said before, we do this for you! EC was our gift to the fans. Hope you enjoyed. Also...keep your ears open over the next little while." Thanks BioWare Social Network.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

27. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 12:40 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:41:
No, you actually have to go "purchase" it from the add-ons. It doesn't get added automatically. At least it didn't for me yesterday, and neither did it for anyone on the BSN forum. There were tons of posts on "How do I get it???"

Maybe they changed it, I dunno. It was released the same way as their MP DLC, where you have to "buy" it through the add-on store.

Creston
They stuck a big giant thing on the screen yesterday telling people how to get it after getting flooded with complaints including step-by-step instructions. Origin for all things is pretty piss poor at "how to find" even the more basic stuff.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 12:28 RollinThundr

NKD wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:08:
InBlack wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:38:
avianflu wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:23:
Already uninstalled. Watched the new ending on youtube. Done.

It will be interesting to see if that Casey guy gets another chance to head on a major game release after all of the kerfuffle.

You mean like after the fucking fiasco of Dragon Age 2?? Oh wait...

I don't think Casey Hudson worked on Dragon Age 2.

But yeah that little ending drama isn't going to have any effects on the guys career. With the number of successful projects on his resume, he could pretty much be in charge of a project anywhere he wanted.

He didn't but Laidlaw is lead again on DA3, making the same empthy promises to the remaining few hardcore fans that "it will be better, and we want to find a middle ground"

I'll wait this time to hear word of mouth DA2 was a piece of shit.

25. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 12:26 Warskull

Creston wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:10:

It will be interesting to see if that Casey guy gets another chance to head on a major game release after all of the kerfuffle.

Mike Laidlaw is in charge of that, not Casey Hudson. And if I have to say one thing in Casey's defense, it's that he lost his main writer to TOR right as they were getting ramped up for ME3, and he got stuck with Mac "I have a napkin's worth of notes for an ending" Walters.

Creston

That explains a lot. ME3 feels like they completely pulled the explanation for the reaper's out of their ass with no thought. Even in the extended cut the reapers don't make any sense. The new writers probably did pull the explanation out of their ass. Breaking up the ME2 team was clearly an awful idea.

Upon closer examination a lot of ME3's writing and story is just plain weaker than ME2, but the ending really highlighted it all and encouraged the players to look for the flaws. The new ending is watchable, but requires you to ignore the fact that the whole explanation for the reapers and the star child are still retarded.

Multiplayer is kind of fun though.

24. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 12:22 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:14:
I guess I could do that. From what I understand the core ending is unchanged anyway, right?

The EC is just additional scenes that give everything more context. There was a bunch of stuff that was so poorly edited that it literally didn't make sense, the EC goes a long way towards fixing that. The actual content of the endings is unchanged (it does sorta add another ending option) but you will understand how things fit together. I think some people would have been disappointed but they would have saved themselves a lot of grief if they had just done it that way to begin with.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

23. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 12:15 kanniballl

The Pyro wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:42:
ME3 is a solid game despite the ending. Spoilery discussion of the ending is below:
I had two complaints about the ending:

2) *major spoilers* StarKid comes out of nowhere, and his motivations make no sense whatsoever. We're supposed to believe that the Reapers [synthetics] wipe out advanced organics in order to prevent other synthetics from wiping out organics? Why do they care? Why preserve primitive organics if you're just going to wipe them out later? Do the Reapers have some sort of free will, or are they just tools of StarKid? Where are the organics that created StarKid / Reapers, and what happened to them?

Well, the "motivations" make sense
SST

No matter HOW much you tell someone NOT to do something, or HOW much evidence you throw at them... someone's going to do it anyway. So no matter what they would say or do, someone would start creating synthetic beings and the chances are high that things would hit the fan and they'd just decide to wipe out 100% of all organic life.

And if the fear is creating synthetics will wipe out 100% of all organic life... then for immortal (or insanely long-"lived" beings) then wiping out 90% and making them rebuild is probably logical.

Organic life will continue... but will just be starting from ground-zero every few millennium. And to you, something that exists for many MANY millennium, it probably doesn't seem so bad that they keep getting knocked down.

For your dog, it probably sees it as an ETERNITY when his master has left him home alone. When, to the master, it was just an hour or so to run some errands and buy friggin dog food.

/SST

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

22. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 12:14 StingingVelvet

Creston wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:09:
I wouldn't do it, if I was you. The DLC is available, just get it. It SHOULD have been there to begin with. Don't ruin it for yourself, just watch the Extended cut, and then watch the original ending afterwards on Youtube.

I guess I could do that. From what I understand the core ending is unchanged anyway, right?

21. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 11:42 The Pyro

ME3 is a solid game despite the ending. Spoilery discussion of the ending is below:
I had two complaints about the ending:

1) There's no final boss fight unless I'm forgetting something. Granted, this is a minor complaint, but it just felt strange. ME1 had Saren, ME2 had the Reaper in the Collector base, but ME3 just has a big final fight vs. a bunch of Banshees and Brutes or something? I was expecting something... well, different.

2) *major spoilers* StarKid comes out of nowhere, and his motivations make no sense whatsoever. We're supposed to believe that the Reapers [synthetics] wipe out advanced organics in order to prevent other synthetics from wiping out organics? Why do they care? Why preserve primitive organics if you're just going to wipe them out later? Do the Reapers have some sort of free will, or are they just tools of StarKid? Where are the organics that created StarKid / Reapers, and what happened to them?

A revelation like the existence of StarKid is not something you can dump on the player in the final moments of the game. He creates more questions / plot holes than he fills.

And then there's the final "choice", which just feels bizarre. Once again there's no explanation for why the Crucible is even capable of all these disparate functions (it's supposed to be a weapon, right?) But I guess the worst of it is that in every ending someone gets screwed, so the player feels like he chose poorly no matter what.

I guess you could argue that in the Green ending it's only Shepard that gets screwed. Still feels bizzare, though... Deus Ex machina at its worst.

20. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 11:41 Dr. D. Schreber

Whoops, ninja'd by Creston.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

19. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 11:41 Creston

necrosis wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:34:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:28:
Finally started playing this, about 7 hours in right now. Will be very interested in seeing the original ending that pissed everyone off, so I haven't downloaded the DLC. People seem to think said ending ruins 3 amazing games worth of content and by itself is an example of Bioware's plummeting stock, so... will be interesting.
As far as I know (I do not remember seeing any extra "DLC" options for ME3 in Origin last night) it is not "DLC". It is slipstreamed into the main game as more of a patch. Meaning if you downloaded it off Origin you have the new endings.

Basically if you had ME3 installed before yesterday and opened Origin (required to play the game) your files are updated and you can't see the old endings sort of watching them on YouTube.

No, you actually have to go "purchase" it from the add-ons. It doesn't get added automatically. At least it didn't for me yesterday, and neither did it for anyone on the BSN forum. There were tons of posts on "How do I get it???"

Maybe they changed it, I dunno. It was released the same way as their MP DLC, where you have to "buy" it through the add-on store.

Creston

18. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 11:34 necrosis

Finally started playing this, about 7 hours in right now. Will be very interested in seeing the original ending that pissed everyone off, so I haven't downloaded the DLC. People seem to think said ending ruins 3 amazing games worth of content and by itself is an example of Bioware's plummeting stock, so... will be interesting.
As far as I know (I do not remember seeing any extra "DLC" options for ME3 in Origin last night) it is not "DLC". It is slipstreamed into the main game as more of a patch. Meaning if you downloaded it off Origin you have the new endings.

Basically if you had ME3 installed before yesterday and opened Origin (required to play the game) your files are updated and you can't see the old endings sort of watching them on YouTube.

17. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 11:24 Verno

briktal wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:20:
I don't think the rest of the game is quite that good. A lot of the minor issues that would normally fill the discussion about the game get ignored because the ending was so bad.

Just curious what your thoughts were on the problems? I really disliked the extent of the one button gameplay but beyond that I quite enjoyed it.

I'm pretty sure that was debunked, actually. The post that made such claims was simply fake.

I haven't really followed it beyond the initial flurry on reddit awhile ago TBH so if that's the case then fair enough

16. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 11:20 briktal

Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:48:

I thought ME3 was the best game in the series and I don't think the endings by themselves "ruin" anything. That said they definitely put a big damper on what was an interesting attempt at having a story built through player choice.

I hope you don't just play the contrarian role here and actually weigh it without automatically opposing whatever the internet at large thought. I will have to dig up some of my old posts, I wrote up some pretty lengthy teardowns of endings.

You really think three highly successful games are ruined for his resume because of the ending complaints on forums?

I think he was referring to internal dissent about the writing team being precluded from working on the ending. That was also the area of the game everyone had a problem with, the rest of the game has received nothing but accolades.

I don't think the rest of the game is quite that good. A lot of the minor issues that would normally fill the discussion about the game get ignored because the ending was so bad.

15. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 11:13 Creston

Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:48:
I think he was referring to internal dissent about the writing team being precluded from working on the ending.

I'm pretty sure that was debunked, actually. The post that made such claims was simply fake.

Creston

14. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 11:10 Creston

Mike Laidlaw is in charge of that, not Casey Hudson. And if I have to say one thing in Casey's defense, it's that he lost his main writer to TOR right as they were getting ramped up for ME3, and he got stuck with Mac "I have a napkin's worth of notes for an ending" Walters.

Creston

13. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 11:09 Creston

I wouldn't do it, if I was you. The DLC is available, just get it. It SHOULD have been there to begin with. Don't ruin it for yourself, just watch the Extended cut, and then watch the original ending afterwards on Youtube.

Seriously, the original ending is such horseshit that it leaves a really bad taste in your mouth. (Although now that you KNOW a better one is available, perhaps it's much easier to just go "Yeah, that's just dumb" and shrug. When it first came out, this is what we were stuck with, and it was bad.)

Just my 2 cents. I think it'll be more enjoyable if you get the better endings straight away. (plus more exposition on the -spoiler- catalyst and how he and the Reapers are tied together.)

Creston

12. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 11:08 NKD

I don't think Casey Hudson worked on Dragon Age 2.

But yeah that little ending drama isn't going to have any effects on the guys career. With the number of successful projects on his resume, he could pretty much be in charge of a project anywhere he wanted.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 11:06 Creston

I'm pretty sure he will. The Mass Effect trilogy sold VERY well, and overall it was an excellent series of games. The ending was horseshit, but I do think their time crunch probably had something to do it, and the blame for that can be solely laid at EA's doorstep.

As for the gift thing, eh. It IS free.

Creston

10. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 10:48 Verno

I thought ME3 was the best game in the series and I don't think the endings by themselves "ruin" anything. That said they definitely put a big damper on what was an interesting attempt at having a story built through player choice.

I hope you don't just play the contrarian role here and actually weigh it without automatically opposing whatever the internet at large thought. I will have to dig up some of my old posts, I wrote up some pretty lengthy teardowns of endings.

You really think three highly successful games are ruined for his resume because of the ending complaints on forums?

I think he was referring to internal dissent about the writing team being precluded from working on the ending. That was also the area of the game everyone had a problem with, the rest of the game has received nothing but accolades.

9. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 10:38 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 10:30 StingingVelvet

Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:23:
RollinThundr wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:10:
A gift to the fans? Bioware devs just get more and more pretentious and douchy as time goes on it seems.

I know, right? A gift? Are they fucking kidding me?

It's kind of a gift by definition because it was free, right?

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo