Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

So I spoke with the lady from the tree doctor place yesterday, and decided that since the guys showed up Friday because a customer complained they left a mess, I would help them out by saying what a great job they had done for us. When I told her this was because they thought they were supposed to do a follow-up visit here, she was incredulous that they could have mistaken us for the house they were supposed to visit, implying that they'd have to be idiots to think so. So it seems my effort at getting them out of trouble did the exact opposite. Teach me to try and help.

R.I.P.: Nora Ephron, prolific author and screenwriter, dies at age 71. Thanks JDreyer.

Helpful Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Steamlands Player Pack.
Cowboys Conspiracy.
Fort Blaster: Ahoy There.
Links: The 7 Most Ridiculous Resurrections in Comic Book History.
Stories: "Battleship" Failure Blamed On "Avengers".
Science: The way you count on your fingers may influence how your brain works.
Having Your Coffee and Enjoying It Too. Thanks j.c.f.
Meteorite Hunter Discovers New Mineral. Thanks Slashdot.
Like Coffee Mug.
Skyrim Apology Cake.
Media: Sorkinisms - A Supercut.
Kickstarter Exposed As Internet Scam!.
Follow-up: Operation BearLove Good, Cancer Bad has ended. Now what? Thanks nin.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 21:34 Bet

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 18:25:
Blue wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:01:
Teach me to try and help.
"No good deal goes unpunished."
Hopefully Blue isn't the one that this punishment stops at. Pass the buck damn it, pass it!

So they really are either idiots that went to the wrong house, or were casing the joint like someone said the other day.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 18:25 Mr. Tact

Blue wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:01:
Teach me to try and help.
"No good deal goes unpunished."

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 18:10 Agent.X7

jdreyer wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 16:01:
Jivaro wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:27:
I thought Battleship was pretty entertaining. I mean, it is definitely "turn your brain off at the entrance" entertainment, but I guess when it comes to action movies, that is fine with me to some extent. I would go see a sequel, or at least buy the Blu-Ray. Then again, I guess my attitude about these kind of things is very casual. I laughed my ass of at the whole beginning part with the chicken burrito adventure.

As a side note, they could have made it into a "Crysis" movie instead of "Battleship". The plot of the movie reminded me of that game at various times.

I couldn't even make it through an hour of Transformers 3, and thought Battle: Los Angeles was just okay. Thus, my level of interest in this movie is very low. Am I off base?

Transformers 3 is a riot if you are drinking heavily. Otherwise it's an object lesson for film students on how NOT to make a film. battlefield: LA was OK. I guess if you saw the trailers for battleship and thought you were going to see a movie worth wasting that much of your life on, you either knew what you were getting into or you're dumb enough that it didn't matter anyway.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 16:01 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:27:
I thought Battleship was pretty entertaining. I mean, it is definitely "turn your brain off at the entrance" entertainment, but I guess when it comes to action movies, that is fine with me to some extent. I would go see a sequel, or at least buy the Blu-Ray. Then again, I guess my attitude about these kind of things is very casual. I laughed my ass of at the whole beginning part with the chicken burrito adventure.

As a side note, they could have made it into a "Crysis" movie instead of "Battleship". The plot of the movie reminded me of that game at various times.

I couldn't even make it through an hour of Transformers 3, and thought Battle: Los Angeles was just okay. Thus, my level of interest in this movie is very low. Am I off base?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 15:54 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:54:
And yet this movie STILL MADE MONEY!!!!

It (BS) apparently made a lot of money overseas (170M plus), which really surprised me...

Research shows that's due to the fact foreigners didn't know it was based on a child's game where you actually say the words, "You sank my battleship!"

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20. Nexus 7 Jun 27, 2012, 14:44 Capella

Just pre-ordered the Nexus 7. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Ship it now damn it!  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 13:40 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:58:
Broke down and preordered TNG from Amazon for $78...hard to say no to that.

Apparently they're trying to feature at least one extended episode in S2 with 20 minutes of previously unseen footage...

Between watching the episodes originally, their immediate reruns and syndications, and the whole bunch of reruns that have aired over the last few years (SciFi/SyFy, BBCAmerica, Spike, etc) I've seen all of the episodes enough times to no longer care about TNG.

Though an extended episode might be neat, but I wouldn't shell out for a whole box set to see it.

I do like the episode they extended, and feel it's a solid philosophical debate. But, what always bothered me was this is taking place hundreds of years into the future where we'd already seen one cybernetic race (NOT counting the Borg). And yet they STILL hadn't squared away rights around AI's? Seriously?

-

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2012, 13:50.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 13:37 Mr. Tact

nin wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:58:
I'm not really interested in owning this, however I am tempted to buy it to increase the chance DS9 will get the same treatment...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 13:37 kanniballl

Bodolza wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:55:
kanniballl wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:26:
Perhaps turning the bio-weapon black goo into incubators (or whatever) for eggs. And overgrowing the metal canisters and either turning them into resin or forming a big resin cocoon around them.

Most of the "plot holes" are people not understanding the movie, or complaints about Scott not explaining everything, which isn't a plot hole.

The cylinders were created by the Engineers to deliver the black goo. The eggs are laid by the Xenomorph.

Honestly, I haven't seen it yet. I'm just going by what a friend (in r/l) told me since he wouldn't shut up about the movie. One of the things he complained about was "the pod room" was filled with metal cylinders instead of resin cocoons. And thus was an epic fail.

So I was just using my imagination to fill in that hole, assuming my friend was correct about stuff. Figured if he was right, then aliens turning the cylinders into cocoons wasn't much of a stretch considering what they did to the place in (I think) AlienS

So, he kind of ruined the movie for me since I know the general plot now.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 13:09 PHJF

I don't care about plot holes, I just thought the movie *wasn't very good.* In general. It lacked the horror and suspense of Alien and the action or comedy of Aliens. The whole thing came off as a wholly generic science fiction thriller. It didn't engage the little grey cells in any capacity and none of the characters were in any way memorable.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 13:08 Cutter

Time for a few hours of GW2! Haha jerks!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 12:55 Bodolza

kanniballl wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:26:
Perhaps turning the bio-weapon black goo into incubators (or whatever) for eggs. And overgrowing the metal canisters and either turning them into resin or forming a big resin cocoon around them.

Most of the "plot holes" are people not understanding the movie, or complaints about Scott not explaining everything, which isn't a plot hole.

The cylinders were created by the Engineers to deliver the black goo. The eggs are laid by the Xenomorph.

**Spoilers**

The Xenomorph are the result of the facehugger implanting in an Engineer/Human. There aren't any facehuggers until a human gives birth to one. Direct infection by the black goo just seems to make their heads asplode. That seems to be the biological progression, but there's more to it than that, though, since there's a carved image of a Xenomorph in the cave.

The one plot hole I haven't seen a plausible explanation for is why David's head is still next to his body after the spaceship crash.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 12:46 Jim

InBlack wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:35:
The plot holes as giant as fucking spaceships...

Spaceships shaped like giant, curled-up poop.

For what it was, I enjoyed the film. What I was quite surprised about was all the "how unscientific" commentary there was about it. Um, yeah, that's why it's called science FICTION.

Jim

12. Re: 40th anniversary of Atari Jun 27, 2012, 12:42 Hyatus

Jim wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:30:
http://tinyurl.com/7sjhngg

Nice! Atari and I have the same birthday. I knew I was a gamer geek for a reason.

11. 40th anniversary of Atari Jun 27, 2012, 12:30 Jim

http://tinyurl.com/7sjhngg  
Jim

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 12:27 Jivaro

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 12:26 kanniballl

InBlack wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:35:

Someone needs to nuke the human race out of existence, the older I get the more cynical I get with regards to what we have acomplished so far.

P.S.

Saw Prometheus last night. Fuck it I knew Scott sold out to big hollywood with the Gladiator, but I never thought he would take a huge fucking giant dump on his own work (Alien) in this disrespectful way.

His direction and photography is as always quite brilliant but the rest...Jesus what baloney. The acting horrible (apart from David) the writing...atrocious. The plot holes as giant as fucking spaceships...

Its clear to me that he took the money and he simply does not give a fuck. I can imagine it in my head:

Assistant director: Erm Ridley, we had egg pods in alien, but now we have these metal containers..
Ridley Scott: What really? Fuck it my memory is not what it used to be, oh well who gives a fuck, no one cares about that shit anyway....

Assistant director: Erm Ridley, in "Alien" they find one ship and little else on the planet, but here in the script it says we have 'multiple' ships and..
Ridlesy Scott: Oh shut the fuck up and go bugger someone else, cant you see Im having so much fun with my 3d camera???

Firstly, didn't Scott say that it was going to be a psuedo-reboot of the franchise instead of a straight-prequel. In which case, things might not be 100% the same.

As for the pods... I can see things changing with the cylinders.

From my understanding, by the end of Prometheus we have some biological "stuff" still going on. So I could see that, after a few decades/centuries/whatever, that by the time Ripley arrives... the things have overgrown and subverted parts of the ship.

Hell, didn't one of the films show the thing had overgrown part of a ship base and turned it from metal walls and caves to resin sphincter looking stuff? Same thing could have been done to the cylinders.

-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 12:04 xXBatmanXx

WOOT! Ravaged BETA key for Steam arrived this AM.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 11:58 nin

Apparently they're trying to feature at least one extended episode in S2 with 20 minutes of previously unseen footage...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 10:54 nin

It (BS) apparently made a lot of money overseas (170M plus), which really surprised me...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo