Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Ubisoft announces the Windows edition of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is now available in North America, offering a PC enhanced edition of the latest installment in the military shooter series. The game is available via digital distribution on the UBIShop, and here's a list of PC features:

• Support DX11 (adding stunning amount of visual details on characters through displacement mapping, as well as some global illumination effects)
  • More complex materials (like parallax occlusion mapping or gloss and specular maps)
  • Improved dynamic lighting
  • Volumetric lighting effects
  • Soft shadows
  • Improved post-processing with better HDR and motion blur
  • Playable with keyboard and mouse, or with wired and wireless X360 pads
  • Windows XP patch coming shortly after release

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 21:36 theyarecomingforyou

Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 09:55:
Yeah I made the mistake of ignoring your advice and bought ArmA 2 on sale. Maybe DayZ is cool, I have no idea because I couldn't get past the clunky, floaty controls in ArmA 2. Everything just felt off and made it a chore to play.
That exactly matches my experience. I picked up ArmA 2 on sale and just found every aspect of it to be off. The graphics are rather sterile, the movement doesn't feel right, the AI is crap, the in-game speech repetitive, the level design bland, the game itself buggy... the only positive thing that can be said is that it runs really smoothly at max settings.

I keep seeing people talking about DayZ but all the videos I've seen look absolutely terrible. I honestly have no idea what all the fuss is about. I'm all for realistic, tactical shooters but ArmA 2 plays like ass. I regret buying it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 19:22 PHJF

If that PHJF character a bunch of posts down bitches yet again about the game, I'm supposed to yet again defend it? Nah. I'm happy to respond though. I enjoyed typing it out and I'm satisfied you took the time out of your exceptionally busy day to respond too.

ArmA sucks ass.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 19:19 ColoradoHoudini

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 07:15:
Darks wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 22:18:
I have no idea what videos you are watching, but they must be shit. Because Iíve been playing the hell out of this game and its kicks ass. Coop is a ton of fun and the game looks great. The game feels like a mix of Vegas and Ghost Recon. I love the tactical element. The ghost stealth just kicks all kinds of ass.
I've watched several videos but this is as good an example as any. Terrible character models, especially the face. Appalling lip-sync. Wooden animations. And all the gameplay criticism stands, as it's just a third-person cover shooter. There is no "tactical element".

For anyone that is into this style of game it's great that Ubisoft is putting the effort in to make the PC version look better. But I'd still like to see them return to the original Rainbow Six, which really did have a lot of tactical elements. Games like Vegas 2 were playable but shallow.

What in the fresh hell??? They built in a wall hack grenade.. ON PURPOSE?!!?! Reminds me of the level of stupidity the devs for Section 8 had with a lock on feature for the guns..those morons implemented a god damn aimbot into the game.. I never thought I'd see something as stupid in an FPS again.. but here we are with a wall hack nade.

Besides, that looks very hand-holding'ish.. very humdrum... no thanks

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 15:21 Verno

Err alright, I don't think saying the controls felt clunky and floaty is the same thing as saying you need the game dumbed down or don't like a different way of doing things. Likewise calling people bitches and stupid because they didn't play one of the originals or don't like the controls seems a bit out there dude.

Anyways, I don't want to belabor it, maybe you have your reasons I don't really follow the history of this stuff so fair enough. Someone else was nice enough to offer some advice so I can't speak for others but I will revisit it later.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 15:17 Dmitri_M

Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 15:14:
All true, but really there's no point explaining to the idiots who missed the OFP\ArmA boat. It's like missing Quake or Doom and now saying they're shit.

Not really, those games had simple control systems and core concepts that were easier to grasp. I'm sure people would be much more open to revisiting the games if you didn't call them names and such. For example if you had been specific like Jedi Master about what exactly to tweak it would be genuinely helpful as opposed to pointlessly derisive.
I have been "specific" for years and years and years and have responded to 100s of posts here and on other forums accommodating people who can't control this game. You won't bother to look but it's all in my post history. Really, at some point you just have to let people who are lazy sink. You cannot grasp a FPS with a different way of doing things? Poor things.

If that PHJF character a bunch of posts down bitches yet again about the game, I'm supposed to yet again defend it? Nah. I'm happy to respond though. I enjoyed typing it out and I'm satisfied you took the time out of your exceptionally busy day to respond too.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2012, 15:24.

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 15:14 Verno

All true, but really there's no point explaining to the idiots who missed the OFP\ArmA boat. It's like missing Quake or Doom and now saying they're shit.

Not really, those games had simple, tight control systems and core concepts that were easier to grasp. Maybe people were just playing other stuff when they missed the boat, sheesh. I'm sure people would be much more open to revisiting the games if you didn't call them names and such though. For example if you had been specific like Jedi Master about what exactly to tweak it would be genuinely helpful as opposed to pointlessly harsh.

Anyway thanks JM for the pointers, I'll give it another whirl tonight.

40. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 14:54 Dmitri_M

Jedi Master wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:37:
I've been playing OFP and Arma 1 and 2 for over 10 years now and I've never had a problem with the controls AFTER I tweaked them.
There are some things that take getting used to, like fixed animations that take X amount of time, but it's not difficult at all.

The main weakness is the missions BIS made for them. Some are good, some are lousy, but there is a never-ending fountain of new missions using just the stock units, not to mention the tons of mods. So forget the campaigns, you'll get stuck and frustrated and think "OMG this game is crap" when it's just the way they made those missions.

Zero out the aiming deadzone and head bob, keep smoothing at a minimum, and it works well. Also, there is some inertia in there because it's not at all realistic to swing your M249 around 180 degrees in under half a second just because you can in game X.
All true, but really there's no point explaining to the idiots who missed the OFP\ArmA boat. It's like missing Quake or Doom and now saying they're shit. These guys just need to suck it up and go slink off somewhere cold. Everything they might say about BIS is spot on. Shit programming, shit campaigns etc, I'm a huge critic of how they've done things. That said, after 11 years it's the only game that follows me between computers. It's quirky as hell. But so damn open ended. Sure to get the best out of it you need to play the game from within the easy mission editor (something that's quite hard for morons to use since it requires imagination). Five clicks in the editor and I can have a great SP experience. Go sit on a hill and set the view distance to 8 miles. Kill a guy at 2 miles. Whatever. Maybe fly 12 guys into a battle in a Huey, then switch to a different unit and lead the 12 guys to their deaths. Endless possibilities. Of course some people just can't see the possibilities. Their loss. And our gain, one less bitch on a server with no imagination who needs the Frostbite engine and hype media campaign to feel that a game is "good".

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 14:51 Raptor

Flak wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 07:28:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 03:33:
I can remember Rainbow 6 and Original Ghost the way they were meant to be, so each time Ubisoft lurches into the freezer room dragging it's club foot and heaves their corpses out fondling and drooling - it just makes me sick.

If you think this is depressing...you should see a lot of the people who play them. I was in a large clan and the vast majority of the people in it were looking forward to this game. I would ask them about the original Ghost Recon game and they'd all say 'oh, you mean Vegas 1? yeah it was awesome'. Most of them aren't even aware of the original Tom Clancy games, let alone played any of them. Someone actually argued with me that the original Ghost Recon game wasn't first person.

Honestly, how did two first person, tactical/military-type series (Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon) evolve into 3rd person shitty Michael Bay action movies? Both series had really solid single-player and multiplayer. Rogue Spear/Ravenshield and Ghost Recon 1 multiplayer were some of the most fun I've had on PC, and that's not even counting all of the co-op/custom stuff you could do.

/old-man gamer bitching

This post needs to be reported as damn truth and beaten into every lousy brain that has supported the industry in making a huge amount of poo.

Now the only realistic thing we have to play is the OFP/ARMA series... and that's it.
Anyone want to count the amount of Call of Duties out there?
If I had known back in the R6 days that soon there will be nothing of that kind left then I would have spent much more time with it (sadly every time a relative/friend dies, I think the same)

Fortunately it's still possible to fire up RvS every once in a while and do some MP, still some folks playing.

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 14:14 ELITE

Arma is not a shit game - it's shit programming and controls - the idea is right but the execution is balls - if Arma played like Arma tries to and had the BF3 engine - it would be exactly what Arma should be...  

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 12:37 Jedi Master

I've been playing OFP and Arma 1 and 2 for over 10 years now and I've never had a problem with the controls AFTER I tweaked them.
There are some things that take getting used to, like fixed animations that take X amount of time, but it's not difficult at all.

The main weakness is the missions BIS made for them. Some are good, some are lousy, but there is a never-ending fountain of new missions using just the stock units, not to mention the tons of mods. So forget the campaigns, you'll get stuck and frustrated and think "OMG this game is crap" when it's just the way they made those missions.

Zero out the aiming deadzone and head bob, keep smoothing at a minimum, and it works well. Also, there is some inertia in there because it's not at all realistic to swing your M249 around 180 degrees in under half a second just because you can in game X.

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 12:36 Darks

Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 09:55:
PHJF wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 09:51:
Can people please stop referring to ArmA in the positive? ArmA was a shit game. ArmA 2 is a shit game. ArmA 3 will most likely be a shit game. Trying to do something different and failing is failing just the same.

Yeah I made the mistake of ignoring your advice and bought ArmA 2 on sale. Maybe DayZ is cool, I have no idea because I couldn't get past the clunky, floaty controls in ArmA 2. Everything just felt off and made it a chore to play.

No knocking you Verno, I know what you mean about the controls and the bugs I experienced trying to play Coop. But I recall a conversation some time ago about Op Flashpoint Red River and how I was talking about how it was a better game especially the mechanics of the game and I got beat up by many in this same forum about being full of it.

Not saying it was you. Because I donít recall. Iím just saying that yep, ARMA is not all itís cracked up to be. Iíve been burnt twice on this series of games. Iím not holding my breath to see if ARMA 3 is any good. Time will tell. And I still hold my ground on Red River being a much better game. At least I was able to beat that campaign 3 times with friends. Canít say the same about ARMA.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 11:38 Joss

Soulburner wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 09:15:
So this is no longer a first person tactical shooter?
Just watched a few videos around the net and cringed at the third-person aspect of this title. The word abomination comes to mind.

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 09:57 ^mortis^

WATCH OUT, WE GOT A BADASS GAME CRITIC OVER HERE! \M/ 0 0 \M/

^m^

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 09:55 Verno

PHJF wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 09:51:
Can people please stop referring to ArmA in the positive? ArmA was a shit game. ArmA 2 is a shit game. ArmA 3 will most likely be a shit game. Trying to do something different and failing is failing just the same.

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 09:53 Darks

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 07:15:
Darks wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 22:18:
I have no idea what videos you are watching, but they must be shit. Because Iíve been playing the hell out of this game and its kicks ass. Coop is a ton of fun and the game looks great. The game feels like a mix of Vegas and Ghost Recon. I love the tactical element. The ghost stealth just kicks all kinds of ass.
I've watched several videos but this is as good an example as any. Terrible character models, especially the face. Appalling lip-sync. Wooden animations. And all the gameplay criticism stands, as it's just a third-person cover shooter. There is no "tactical element".

For anyone that is into this style of game it's great that Ubisoft is putting the effort in to make the PC version look better. But I'd still like to see them return to the original Rainbow Six, which really did have a lot of tactical elements. Games like Vegas 2 were playable but shallow.

Sorry, but I just donít see where you getting that the models are terrible. The faces could look a little better, but for the most part they look fine, and I have seen far worst in some of the newer games that are out now. And truthfully, how often are you going to stop and just is there and watch someone face? Not much!

As for the tactical element and the cover and fire. I donít see how this is a problem. This is how itís done in real life, no one is a loner that can sit there and have their health blasted to bits and expect to live. Running and gunning is a thing of the past now. Gamers wanted the tactical element in their games and thatís what you get now. I just donít see the problem with it.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 09:51 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 09:37 Slashman

Soulburner wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 09:15:

It hasn't been that for a looonng time.

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 09:15 Soulburner

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 08:46 Flak

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 08:19:
Ventura wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 08:15:
Honestly, how did two first person, tactical/military-type series (Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon) evolve into 3rd person shitty Michael Bay action movies?

but I don't get why it's so surprising
I don't think anyone is surprised but that doesn't mean we have to keep our mouths shut about it.

Yep, don't forget that supporting games like Arma is always positive. Arma 3 has the potential to bring us back to some of those glory days, hopefully that opens some eyes up.

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Jun 27, 2012, 08:19 Dmitri_M

Ventura wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 08:15:
Honestly, how did two first person, tactical/military-type series (Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon) evolve into 3rd person shitty Michael Bay action movies?

but I don't get why it's so surprising
I don't think anyone is surprised but that doesn't mean we have to keep our mouths shut about it.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo