Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear

Blizzard announces a new patch is now live for Diablo III in the Americas, updating their action/RPG sequel to version 1.0.3a. The new version addresses several bugs and also reduces the amount of "wear-and-tear" damage to items by 50% (not to be confused with the 10% item endurance death penalty).

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jul 1, 2012, 15:57 Dev

eunichron wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 14:03:
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Thanks for the links on Diablo 3 farming routes, sounds like something I need to check out

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 28, 2012, 13:07 Verno

I senk a link over to Blue for a separate news item but in case he doesn't post it - June 28 hotfix notes.

Some good changes in there, I think they are finally listening to reason and feedback.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

47. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 28, 2012, 09:24 Verno

I think the large drop in player base and huge amounts of feedback they received are finally starting to hit home. That's a post by Bashiok about a supposed new design approach they are going to take. The history is that the 4 piece Natalya Set Bonus was a piece of crap that did 0.3 discipline a second for Demon Hunters. This was supposed to be a really nice, ilvl 61 crazy gear set that you spend a year collecting. In patch 1.0.3 they accidentally buffed it to 300%, so something like 3 discipline per second. People were concerned that they would collect or buy it, only to have it nerfed.

Blizzard finally responded by saying they aren't going to change any existing drops (finally) and that they are going to change their approach to how they embrace and balance things like it in the future. I'm really happy about that change and I think it was necessary, it is one thing to change someones skills, they expect the games subsystems to shift around a bit. It's quite another to change the gear they collected or bought, that's a deal breaker with many people. I'm hoping this whole episode means embracing more of a "let players kick back and enjoy themselves" design approach as opposed to ECONOMY BALANCE NERFNERF!!!!

First really encouraging D3 news I've heard in awhile, I hope there's more to come.

46. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 14:29 eunichron

Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 14:22:
For example there was item imbues, player addable sockets and eventually runewords. Just even having those few things would alleviate much of the backlash they're facing now, not to mention they make more interesting quest rewards.

Theoretically Horadric Cube imbues and gambling have been replaced by the artisans, but there's still some balancing that needs to go on there. Reducing the costs for low level items was a start, but crafting the 6-modifier gear still is not a worthwhile investment.

I miss runewords as well, that was an awesome addition with LoD, but I'm sure they will be added with the inevitable expansion.

45. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 14:22 Verno

That's my only real complaint about the game at the moment, Blizzard's extreme reactions to innocuous farming methods that do more to punish players than fix bots and gold sellers. Who cares if HC characters were farming Dark Cellar and Act I goblins... their punishment was spending 4-5 boring hours a night farming the same damn goblin over and over again.

Yeah I'm not sure who they think they are fighting here, many of the things they keep hitting with the nerf bat are what keep players coming back to the game in the long term. The story stuff well, I think we've all torn it up in several topics already. It's poorly written teen fantasy, I don't really care but it would be nice if we didn't need to manually skip the games hundred pointless cutscenes.

As for item drops and statistics, personally I care a lot more about the quality of what is dropping as opposed to the rate. I loved collecting sets and uniques in Diablo 2 for example. It just has to be useful and interesting in some way, I can put up with needing to farm to get it. Diablo 2 had a lot of interesting ways to influence your drops as well. For example there was item imbues, player addable sockets, charms (ok inv tetris sucked), jewels and eventually runewords. Just even having those few things would alleviate much of the backlash they're facing now, not to mention they make more interesting quest rewards.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2012, 14:28.

44. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 14:03 eunichron

Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 13:22:
So what if they did anyway? I don't think there's even anything inherently wrong with balancing the game around the idea of players using an auction house. It basically replaces most of the crappy aspects of player to player trading. What does suck on the other hand is how Blizzard is letting their desire to protect the AH affect other aspects of balance in the game. For example areas like farming and gold running which lets face it, is a large part of the Diablo endgame.

That's my only real complaint about the game at the moment, Blizzard's extreme reactions to innocuous farming methods that do more to punish players than fix bots and gold sellers. Who cares if HC characters were farming Dark Cellar and Act I goblins... their punishment was spending 4-5 boring hours a night farming the same damn goblin over and over again.

Well, that and the atrocious story dialogue.

Luke wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:30:
And those who think they did not purposely tweaking the drops are even more ridiculous , Clown

Oh, you've convinced me. I apologize. It's all a Blizzard conspiracy to get people to spend real money on virtual items. Oh, except for that little snag where people running statistics on item drops have proven that the drop rates are exactly what Blizzard has said they are, and that they're within the bounds of what drop rates were in Diablo 2/LoD, and here is the data the proves it:

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3

43. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 13:22 Verno

It's all about finding optimized routes. There was a group of guys that posted an Act I route on Reddit the other day that my friend and I have been running as well.while isn't amazing GPH compared to pre-1.03, when you factor in the amount of items we got that were auctionable we made quite a bit more. It gets even easier and more efficient when you realize the maps have very little in terms of randomization, and you can begin to predict where caves and elites will spawn

Sure, I was just commenting on his scenario. A big part of the Diablo experience is the meta-game and unfortunately Blizzard is constantly tweaking the hell out of it due to bots or whatever. Sometimes I suspect if everyone just threw up their hands and ran packs for items they would nerf that and tell people it wasn't the intended behavior for item gathering but perhaps thats just my exasperation talking

And what do you have to back that bullshit up with? Fact is the game is entirely beatable without ever touching the AH

So what if they did anyway? I don't think there's even anything inherently wrong with balancing the game around the idea of players using an auction house. It basically replaces most of the crappy aspects of player to player trading. What does suck on the other hand is how Blizzard is letting their desire to protect the AH affect other aspects of balance in the game. For example areas like farming and gold running which lets face it, is a large part of the Diablo endgame.

PS: Luke, learn how to use fucking punctuation buttons on your keyboard. Don't give me some line about English not being your native language. Your keyboard has them, end your goddamn sentences.

Yeah that's gonna charm him into doing it

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2012, 13:31.

42. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 12:49 Krovven

Luke wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:30:
eunichron wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:49:
Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 09:20:
That's not a lot of money considering the length of time it takes to run both of those acts, the GPH is low to moderate.

It's all about finding optimized routes. There was a group of guys that posted an Act I route on Reddit the other day that my friend and I have been running as well. We tweaked it a little bit for ourselves (the guy was running a Wizard, my friend and I were doing it co-op with a tank barb and tank monk, so we cut out a couple spots that were too much time vs. reward), but we ended up with a ton of rares, a few upgrades between both of us, and about 200k gold an hour, which while isn't amazing GPH compared to pre-1.03, when you factor in the amount of items we got that were auctionable we made quite a bit more. It gets even easier and more efficient when you realize the maps have very little in terms of randomization, and you can begin to predict where caves and elites will spawn.

The bottom line is there is absolutely no point in the game where going to the AH is required. I have two characters in Act III Inferno right now, and I have never bought a single item off the AH. Everything I have I farmed myself or got it from a friend when we were playing a coop game. These people who think there is some sort of conspiracy with Blizzard purposely tweaking the drops and difficulty to force people into using the AH are just fucking ridiculous.

And those who think they did not purposely tweaking the drops are even more ridiculous , Clown

And what do you have to back that bullshit up with? Fact is the game is entirely beatable without ever touching the AH. This has been proven over and over in recent weeks. Do you think this due to the lack of Rare drops? Unless you have 0% MF, you should be seeing a ton of Rare drops. More than enough to go around, and if you play with friends, the chance of getting upgrades goes up drastically. If you want to be a loner and play by yourself, expect to have a slow and boring time farming gear.

BTW, it's been stated by Blizzard many many times that the game was balanced around never having to use the AH, as the AH did not even exist until late in development.

PS: Luke, learn how to use fucking punctuation buttons on your keyboard. Don't give me some line about English not being your native language. Your keyboard has them, end your goddamn sentences.

41. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 12:30 Luke

eunichron wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:49:
That's not a lot of money considering the length of time it takes to run both of those acts, the GPH is low to moderate.

It's all about finding optimized routes. There was a group of guys that posted an Act I route on Reddit the other day that my friend and I have been running as well. We tweaked it a little bit for ourselves (the guy was running a Wizard, my friend and I were doing it co-op with a tank barb and tank monk, so we cut out a couple spots that were too much time vs. reward), but we ended up with a ton of rares, a few upgrades between both of us, and about 200k gold an hour, which while isn't amazing GPH compared to pre-1.03, when you factor in the amount of items we got that were auctionable we made quite a bit more. It gets even easier and more efficient when you realize the maps have very little in terms of randomization, and you can begin to predict where caves and elites will spawn.

The bottom line is there is absolutely no point in the game where going to the AH is required. I have two characters in Act III Inferno right now, and I have never bought a single item off the AH. Everything I have I farmed myself or got it from a friend when we were playing a coop game. These people who think there is some sort of conspiracy with Blizzard purposely tweaking the drops and difficulty to force people into using the AH are just fucking ridiculous.

40. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 11:49 eunichron

39. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 11:01 Alamar

Julio wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 06:35:
They increased the feeling the game is like being at work, with grinding out less 'take home' gold due to excessive repair costs from wear and tear from mob killing. Pre-1.03, I might have had one drop that was better than what was on the AH. Then patch 1.03 lowered the drop rate of rare items as well, making it more likely you have to go to the AH for gear.

Uhm... What?

1.03 drop rates increased (unless you're only doing 5 packs and a boss runs, but that's far too boring to comment on : ), and better gear is available earlier...

Minus the apparent Act III/IV drop rate bug (which I don't believe targets rares), that's being fixed this week.

Theo wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 08:28:
InBlack wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 08:03:
Boohoo some more? Fuck that.

To be honest, as a life long D2 player (and d1 for that matter); i honestly think that most of the crying is from people "thought" that they were going to be in to the game for year to come; the truth is though they are just casual action RPG fans.

If a game gave you over 100 hours fun; regardless of long term appeal; it was proabably worth the money.

I am still playing - all tho now down to a few days a week (inf solidy on farm), still enjoying the game and dont mind the balance changes at all. my mate was bitching about repair cost, so we did a act1/2 run in inf. we made litterally well over 700k in gold - post repair bills. what. the. f. is the problem.

As a counter to this, which I think is valid for yourself, and myself... Is that while you can have these results, that doesn't mean the general populace does, and that's who is complaining...

For me, the day 1.03 came out, I found Act II challenging, and was having a great time... The next day, it felt like there was a stealth nerf, because I was doing badly... And silly me, still thinking the Blacksmith might be useful, spent my last 200k on some 5-stat belts (dropped recipe), and then died a bunch of times in Act II, and didn't have enough for repairs...

So here's what I did... I logged into the D3 forums, and wrote up a nice long post (in my own thread, because surely there weren't enough before that) bitching about how much the change sucked and blah blah... </sarcasm>

What I actually did, was run through Act I again, and netted a similar amount... I also got like 50 rares, which most were garbage, but that's a genre thing, not a D3 thing : ) The big money maker for me, however, was giving up on the BS... lvl 60 gear is worth 1.5-2.5k vended... So 48 or so of those rares made me about 100k, and the collected gold was another few hundred... Now I'm 'sitting pretty'...

Btw, for 'full disclosure', I once had 1 mil gold, but have never had the crapton that people seem to think everyone else has : ) I don't buy expensive shit on the AH (though expensive is relative - my highest, and only one time, was about 300k).

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2012, 11:08.

38. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 10:54 Alamar

RailWizard wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 06:12:
NSanity wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 04:29:
eunichron wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 01:27:
If you're having trouble getting through Act II Hell without using the AH then the problem was not the game, it was you.

Agreed.

Like WoW starts at Level Cap, Diablo 3 starts at Inferno. Or used to.

That's some elitist braggart bs right there. "durrr-yup, da game starts at da end! That's how it's supposed to be...noob!"

Reminds me of that dude that beat hardcore inferno the other day and listening to his shit, you just know that guy lives alone. lol

This post gets my vote for most ironic of the year...

Anyways...

For a lot of people, WoW and D3 start at max level... Personally, I enjoy levelling, so that's a big part of either game for me... However, now that I've played D3 at 60, levelling (or more accurately, the collecting of phatty lewts) is less fun, because it's all going to be vended (or AH'd) at some point...

But the argument could be made for Inferno gear, even ilvl 63 stuff; It just may last longer.

Plus, there's the whole difficulty factor... I thought D3 scaled well (starting about mid nightmare, IIRC), and even Inferno Act I... Act II seemed extreme, but that was the point, so that's fine. Now that Inferno is nerfed, the difficulty curve evened out, and it's more challenging (and less stupid-hard/spiked). But the point is, Inferno is where 'the real game' starts for people that want the challenge... Or like to farm gear for ages, which admittedly, is more fun with a full stack of NV than in previous games (in the genre).

Anyhoo... I'm still enjoying it. My friends are still enjoying it. They haven't done much Inferno and considering how much they stand in the poo, I'm thinking they're going to have a hard time with it (when my OP Barbie isn't there).

-Alamar

37. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 10:41 Verno

Actaully fuck it i will bite. there are also a big amount of us who are still playing. D2s ladder community was hardly huge by modern standards. Lots of the folks complaining played D2 years and years ago, and never came back; except for a occasional play through.

Difference is they are bitter because of expectations (PS not really lumping you in this group) just sayin.

When you look at the drop off in players I don't think that's solely explained by some small community of ladder players though. I can't really say peoples expectations are invalid either, Blizzard had a lengthy development period and practically unlimited budget to make the game. I wasn't expecting complete feature parity with D2 but they missed the boat on several obvious things that are very frustrating. As I said before it's really a combination of factors, I wish it was one simple thing they could just patch and make everyone happy with. I don't think anyone is saying that its not a fun game in some ways or that its a ripoff at $60, far from it.

36. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 10:12 Theo

I'll staty away from the D2 comp tbh mate, it think there is a lot of rose tinted glasses there, especially when it comes to NPC challenge/difficulty/tacs/.

That said, your right about the above, that was largely just speed running the acts, not clearing i was trying to demonstrate that minus repairs we still made a bunch of gold without especially trying to (we were just playing over a few beers and enjoying grinding elite packs/bosses etc).

Sure there are casuals who were only going to be playing for a few weeks regardless but theres plenty of diehard Diablo people who can't be bothered anymore either. The games actual replay value is quite a bit less than previous iterations due to a combination of factors - less interesting items, simplified gameplay mechanics, less uniques/sets/etc to collect, more linear gameplay and mapping, etc. It's simply not as deep or satisfying as Diablo 2 right now. Classes are more pigeonholed now which is leading to boredom in the later difficulties I think.

Actaully fuck it i will bite. there are also a big amount of us who are still playing. D2s ladder community was hardly huge by modern standards. Lots of the folks complaining played D2 years and years ago, and never came back; except for a occasional play through.

Difference is they are bitter because of expectations (PS not really lumping you in this group) just sayin.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2012, 10:19.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

35. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 09:20 Verno

Theo wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 08:28:
To be honest, as a life long D2 player (and d1 for that matter); i honestly think that most of the crying is from people "thought" that they were going to be in to the game for year to come; the truth is though they are just casual action RPG fans.

If a game gave you over 100 hours fun; regardless of long term appeal; it was proabably worth the money.

Sure there are casuals who were only going to be playing for a few weeks regardless but theres plenty of diehard Diablo people who can't be bothered anymore either. The games actual replay value is quite a bit less than previous iterations due to a combination of factors - less interesting items, simplified gameplay mechanics, less uniques/sets/etc to collect, more linear gameplay and mapping, etc. It's simply not as deep or satisfying as Diablo 2 right now. Classes are more pigeonholed now which is leading to boredom in the later difficulties I think.

I am still playing - all tho now down to a few days a week (inf solidy on farm), still enjoying the game and dont mind the balance changes at all. my mate was bitching about repair cost, so we did a act1/2 run in inf. we made litterally well over 700k in gold - post repair bills. what. the. f. is the problem.

34. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 08:28 Theo

Boohoo some more? Fuck that.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

33. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 08:22 Luke

InBlack wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 06:20:
All in all the game is progressing in a good direction.

Have to completely disagree, I've quit after the fiasco that was patch 1.03.

They increased the feeling the game is like being at work, with grinding out less 'take home' gold due to excessive repair costs from wear and tear from mob killing. Pre-1.03, I might have had one drop that was better than what was on the AH. Then patch 1.03 lowered the drop rate of rare items as well, making it more likely you have to go to the AH for gear.

And with the RMAH opening, good gear started to shift over there. So pay-to-win for the RMAH and grind ever devaluing gold for the gold AH became the way Blizzard wanted us to play.

No thanks. I'm sure the player base is dropping like flies, and Diablo 4 is going to be a tough sell.

I got my 100+ hours out of Diablo 3 (stopped as a Barbarian on Inferno Act 3), but if I was to do it over again...I'd wait for a huge price discount on Diablo 3 since it has zero longevity.

I understand the bad feelings I really do, the DH and Barbarian really got hit the worst, but hey here is a patch which will lower the wear and tear costs and yet the high death penalty will remain (as it should be). In all other respects patch 1.03 is an improvement over what went before. The drop rates from champion and elite packs are higher than ever (I switch to MF gear and regularly get 3-4 yellows per elite pack)

I just dont get the boohooing over gold though. Thats the most fucked up subjective argument ever. So people were okay with items costing over 100Milion Gold??? Really? Gold was becoming so worthless because all the gold sinks in the game were shitty, and now that there is a valid and good gold sink people bitch yet again.

What a load of shit. Before 1.03 I knew that there was no hope for me to use the AH to buy a better bow, prices were inflating way faster than I could ever farm gold or loot, and now that they fixed this what? Boohoo some more? Fuck that.

How can you even defend this piece of " GOT YOU haha") crap! just look at what they sold to the gamers , how it all went down the BIIG hype maschine to get people to buy it , the failed try to hide the only reason they made this betacrap the noreply attitude they showend the eu forums the "do it your self" peps had to FIND out how to get the game going from other sites than blizzies
If this crap had been in beta still np with all the " Going in the right direction shit" but it was not sold as a beta nono full price full intended "low in stock" games so that they would get alot of att
The hole greasy way they went with this piece of crap just showed what they have become. " The prime evil them self"

Greedy bastards

32. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 08:03 InBlack

And with the RMAH opening, good gear started to shift over there. So pay-to-win for the RMAH and grind ever devaluing gold for the gold AH became the way Blizzard wanted us to play.

No thanks. I'm sure the player base is dropping like flies, and Diablo 4 is going to be a tough sell.

I got my 100+ hours out of Diablo 3 (stopped as a Barbarian on Inferno Act 3), but if I was to do it over again...I'd wait for a huge price discount on Diablo 3 since it has zero longevity.

I understand the bad feelings I really do, the DH and Barbarian really got hit the worst, but hey here is a patch which will lower the wear and tear costs and yet the high death penalty will remain (as it should be). In all other respects patch 1.03 is an improvement over what went before. The drop rates from champion and elite packs are higher than ever (I switch to MF gear and regularly get 3-4 yellows per elite pack)

I just dont get the boohooing over gold though. Thats the most fucked up subjective argument ever. So people were okay with items costing over 100Milion Gold??? Really? Gold was becoming so worthless because all the gold sinks in the game were shitty, and now that there is a valid and good gold sink people bitch yet again.

What a load of shit. Before 1.03 I knew that there was no hope for me to use the AH to buy a better bow, prices were inflating way faster than I could ever farm gold or loot, and now that they fixed this what? Boohoo some more? Fuck that.

I have a nifty blue line!

31. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 06:42 Kajetan

I'm sure the player base is dropping like flies, and Diablo 4 is going to be a tough sell.
If the AH proves to generate a solid revenue stream ... there will be no D4. Blizz will add new content to D3, will update the client, will update the graphics. There is no need for a D4 as long as the AH makes enough money.

30. Re: Diablo III Patch Reduces Item Wear Jun 27, 2012, 06:35 Julio

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo