Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gearbox TMs "Shift" - Has Steamy Plans?

The United States Patent and Trademark Office shows a trademark registration for the term "Shift" that was recently filed by Gearbox Software (thanks Kristian). From the looks of it, this is not for a game title, but rather a distribution network, with the implication that the developer is planning its own service in the style of Valve's Steam. Here's the description:

IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer software for the management, transmission, storage and sharing of computer game programs and electronically stored information across computer networks

IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: Software as a service (SAAS) services featuring software for the management, transmission, storage and sharing of computer game programs and electronically stored information across computer networks

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 27, 2012, 21:31 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:30:
Me too. I was way too late to the original, but I'm looking forward to playing some co-op with the Blues crowd in BL2.

Creston
Well, I'll be picking up Borderlands 2 and I'm happy to play with some of the Blues crowd. I put in over 100hrs into the original and B2 is shaping up to be one of the top games of the year. Very much looking forward to it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 27, 2012, 11:30 Creston

Prez wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 16:52:
InBlack wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 10:55:
Kind of late to the game arent they? Not to mention that they lack a heavyweight the like of Half Life 2 to sell it with....

I sure hope they don't try to use Borderlands 2 as that game. Using Steamworks makes it the perfect blend of choclately addictive sci-fi Diablo and peanut buttery rich great digital service. I can't explain why exactly I am looking forward to Borderlands 2 so much or why I enjoyed the first so much; I just am and I just did.

Me too. I was way too late to the original, but I'm looking forward to playing some co-op with the Blues crowd in BL2.

Creston

27. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 19:14 PropheT

I know I should be all "competition is good" and all that, but I really don't want another DD platform. I'm good with Steam; it's bad enough that I have to have Origin on my system as it is because of two games that require it. I just don't want the hassle of another one.  

26. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 16:52 Prez

InBlack wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 10:55:
Kind of late to the game arent they? Not to mention that they lack a heavyweight the like of Half Life 2 to sell it with....

I sure hope they don't try to use Borderlands 2 as that game. Using Steamworks makes it the perfect blend of choclately addictive sci-fi Diablo and peanut buttery rich great digital service. I can't explain why exactly I am looking forward to Borderlands 2 so much or why I enjoyed the first so much; I just am and I just did.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 14:27 Cutter

Shitbox TMs Shit - Has Shitty Plans.

Well there's a few million blown for no good reason. They could have at least done something worthwhile like donate it to charity.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

24. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 14:13 killer_roach

Yakubs wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 13:47:
Uh, have you packra-- I mean, guys ever heard of the Steam feature that allows you to "uninstall" a game? The whole point of something like Steam is that you can uninstall the games and reinstall them at will...

I've symlinked the game data and the GCFs onto my external hard drive - I can schlep my entire collection between any of my computers at will.

23. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 14:06 Creston

Uh, have you packra-- I mean, guys ever heard of the Steam feature that allows you to "uninstall" a game? The whole point of something like Steam is that you can uninstall the games and reinstall them at will...

If by "at will" you mean "one game every three or four days", then sure. Not everyone's on a 100 MB pipe, ya know. :p

Creston

22. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 13:51 Verno

Sure but not everyone has FiOS and can redownload a game on a whim. Hard drive space is cheap so you can have a disk filled with games in case a buddy wants to check one out or you get an urge to play something for 30 minutes. That and some people just like to have copies of their software in case anything were to ever happen to Steam, there was an extended outage or etc. Heck sometimes I am just playing a whole bunch of different games a little bit at a time instead of marathoning one game to the next. It's a flexibility thing

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

21. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 13:47 Yakubs

20. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 13:22 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 13:12:
As for Steam, I just install the games I want to play, and have every single other one backed up to an external 2GB HD. When I want to play another game, I copy the game folder into my steamapps/common folder, tell Steam to install it (which takes 10 seconds to a few minutes) and I'm ready to go.

That works fine except for a few games that apparently don't recognize that you've just put the game files already there. Mass Effect 2 was one of those, which was a nice surprise when I realized I had to redownload 15 Gigs on my 3GB/day speed...

Creston

Yeah, I have a 2TB USB 3.0 drive that I've moved my Steam collection to... works fast enough to play games off of, the only problem being that I'm down under 50GB free on it...

19. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 13:12 Creston

As for Steam, I just install the games I want to play, and have every single other one backed up to an external 2GB HD. When I want to play another game, I copy the game folder into my steamapps/common folder, tell Steam to install it (which takes 10 seconds to a few minutes) and I'm ready to go.

That works fine except for a few games that apparently don't recognize that you've just put the game files already there. Mass Effect 2 was one of those, which was a nice surprise when I realized I had to redownload 15 Gigs on my 3GB/day speed...

Creston

18. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 13:08 Creston

Verno wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 12:19:
Well, let's not get totally ahead of ourselves here. It could be a backend thing or whatever, we really have no idea. Companies patent things all the time.

True. However, even if it's "just" a back-end thing, I don't need yet another always-on back-end thing tacked onto my games...

Creston

17. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 12:43 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 12:34:
They'd be incredibly stupid to drop Steamworks for Borderlands 2 after hyping it up 6 months ahead of time, calm down people.

I don't think anyone is really freaking out but yeah I don't see them really doing much with this right now at least. It's probably just a "lets harvest some info for marketers!" type multiplayer frontend.

16. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 12:34 theyarecomingforyou

While Gearbox may be trying to compete with Steam it is just as likely a backend support system for their products, much like RaceNet for Codemasters games or Rockstar Games Social Club for LA Noire / GTA4 / Max Payne 3. I certainly don't see them dropping Steam, though they have voiced their concerns about Valve's monopoly position in the market.  

15. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 12:34 jacobvandy

They'd be incredibly stupid to drop Steamworks for Borderlands 2 after hyping it up 6 months ahead of time, calm down people.  

14. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 12:31 theyarecomingforyou

Spektr wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 11:31:
Biggest problem is that my Hard disk is partitioned and I have to put all steam games in the same partition.
I want to be able to install my games wherever I want to.
I agree. Users should be able to change the install location for individual games, especially when SSDs are small and some users may want a small selection of games to be installed on one. My Steam folder is over 1.3TB and is constantly increasing, while the capacity of hard-drives has been very slow to increase - 4TB drives are only just coming to market.

That said, Windows 8 has a feature called Storage Spaces which allows you to pool your hard drives together and then create storage spaces (read: drives) from that. You can specify no resiliency (the equivalent of RAID-0) or two/three drive resiliency (the equivalent of RAID-1), the latter means that if a hard-drive fails you simply install another one and you won't lose any data. And if at any point you add extra drives then you can just increase the size of a storage space without any issues. It basically does away with the idea of physical drives.

13. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 12:19 Verno

Well, let's not get totally ahead of ourselves here. It could be a backend thing or whatever, we really have no idea. Companies patent things all the time.  

12. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 12:12 Creston

And yet another one. And so what I was worried about quite a few years ago, that we'd get 12000 different clients, is starting to become a rather annoying possibility.

I have no problem with competition for Steam. If said competition is four or five places. There is no need for more than that.

Watch them make Borderlands 2 exclusive to Shift...

Creston

11. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 11:52 Undead Scottsman

Sin was Ritual Entertainment, not Gearbox. Gearbox's first project was Half-Life: Opposing Force (prior to that, as Rebel Boat Rocker, it was working on a game called Prax War 2018)  

10. Re: Gearbox TMs Jun 26, 2012, 11:52 Dev

Spektr wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 11:31:
Biggest problem is that my Hard disk is partitioned and I have to put all steam games in the same partition.
I want to be able to install my games wherever I want to.
Actually no you don't. You can use windows junctions to move games elsewhere. Thats what I do to keep a couple games on my SSD where I want fast loading of maps in multiplayer (like L4D2) and the rest of my games elsewhere on a normal HDD.

I suggest to NOT do what I did (which was to install steam on my SSD). Instead, install steam on the large HDD. Its much less work that way and steam won't complain about space for installs.

Edit:
Verno mentioned some solutions, I use the one he mentioned called "Link Shell Extension". It adds support for symbolic links and junctions to the right click menu in windows explorer.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 2012, 11:58.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo