Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation

This trailer offers the full E3 theater presentation for PlanetSide 2, SOE's upcoming MMOFPS sequel (thanks Cutter). The clip is narrated by Brian Bosch, a well-caffeinated level designer on the game, who outlines the game's competing factions, massive infantry combat, unit customization, "huge-ass" vehicle combat, and more.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 27, 2012, 09:22 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 01:32:
If PS1 is the greatest game ever you play too few games ;)

It's almost like taste is subjective or something, whoa!

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 27, 2012, 08:30 EbowGB

xornand wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 13:57:
Bah, Humbug.
Looks like they ripped off the BF3 menus.
Just watch, this game will be garbage.

Good to see a BF3 dev on Blues. Shouldn't you be off making mediocre maps that you can then charge for as DLC?

26. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 27, 2012, 01:32 eRe4s3r

If PS1 is the greatest game ever you play too few games

But fair enough, the gameplay vids were easy to find

25. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 27, 2012, 00:35 NKD

Hump wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 17:36:
I beleive Dave came in at a later date in the games development. I don't beleive he's there now. While I thought he was a great producer, he seems to not be a favorite among other devs who have worked under him and especially the crew at TribalWar.com (they felt he was responsible for "ruining" their beloved IP)

he was responsible for Tribes 2 and Heavy Gear 2, some of the finest games of the late 90's to early 2k's (IMHO)

Dave is at SOE but he's on the EverQuest side of things.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

24. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 19:44 jacobvandy

Trevellian wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 15:58:
All he's good for? Really? I just run around with an MP7 or a 870CS and destroy people and drop ammo for my squadmates. I guess I'm doing it wrong. I didn't know supports only use was the Mortar in Battlefield 3 *rolls eyes*

Both universal weapons, meaning you could do that with any class. I'm talking about class-specific abilities, using anecdotal evidence which is backed up by the fact that Support is by far the least popular class I see online. Try not to take everything you read on the internet personally, guy.

23. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 18:41 Steele Johnson

It's nice to see that they took a lot of the community feedback while designing this game. I definitely have a good feeling about this one. I'm hoping that it sets the bar for online shooters, and puts all current mmos to shame.  

22. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 17:36 Hump

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 17:11:
Hump wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 15:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 15:12:
Pretty lofty thing to say given there was 0 actual gameplay in this video

theres a shit-ton of gameplay media on youtube. Community guy "TotalBiscuit" recorded several hours worth from the E3 floor, not to mention the officially released sruff.

Lastly, this is the same team that did PS1.....the greatest game ever.

Is Dave "Smokejumper" Georgeson still with them? I thought he had left?

I liked PS1 alot, was in the beta, played for the first few months it was up. Looking forward to this. Free is even better.

I beleive Dave came in at a later date in the games development. I don't beleive he's there now. While I thought he was a great producer, he seems to not be a favorite among other devs who have worked under him and especially the crew at TribalWar.com (they felt he was responsible for "ruining" their beloved IP)

he was responsible for Tribes 2 and Heavy Gear 2, some of the finest games of the late 90's to early 2k's (IMHO)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

21. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 17:11 RollinThundr

Hump wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 15:59:

theres a shit-ton of gameplay media on youtube. Community guy "TotalBiscuit" recorded several hours worth from the E3 floor, not to mention the officially released sruff.

Is Dave "Smokejumper" Georgeson still with them? I thought he had left?

I liked PS1 alot, was in the beta, played for the first few months it was up. Looking forward to this. Free is even better.

20. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 16:12 DangerDog

Verno wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 15:26:
Argh just got this in my email and thought it was the actual beta start thing

I loaded up PS a few years ago, that lasted on my hard drive about 10 minutes.

PS1 has not aged well at all.

19. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 15:59 Hump

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

18. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 15:58 Trevellian

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 15:44:
Verno wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 14:42:
Yeah I played tons of BC2 and it was a lot easier to get ammo in that game (even if Grenade Joe was just dropping it for himself). The trouble with BF3 vs previous game iterations is that the weapon lethality is so high and suppression so powerful that there is no rear firing line or anything near that strategic, if you want ammo you'll save more time by simply dying and respawning. I can see it working in theory but in practice its just a mess. I'm referring to pubbie play btw, not with RL friends or clans.

Ohh, well if you're simply talking about oblivious morons that won't drop ammo for you, I agree that that sucks. :p

I was commenting more on the gameplay design/balancing aspect, which could actually still use some work. The problem occurs more now, I think, because they made that boneheaded move to improve the global potency of suppression; what they should have done was make it less effective for all non-Support classes, so that more people would have a reason to play ammo guy. The LMGs are easily outclassed by rifles, so after the mortar nerf, all he's really good for is the risky-but-effective tactic of C4ing vehicles.

All he's good for? Really? I just run around with an MP7 or a 870CS and destroy people and drop ammo for my squadmates. I guess I'm doing it wrong. I didn't know supports only use was the Mortar in Battlefield 3 *rolls eyes*

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

17. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 15:44 jacobvandy

Verno wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 14:42:
Yeah I played tons of BC2 and it was a lot easier to get ammo in that game (even if Grenade Joe was just dropping it for himself). The trouble with BF3 vs previous game iterations is that the weapon lethality is so high and suppression so powerful that there is no rear firing line or anything near that strategic, if you want ammo you'll save more time by simply dying and respawning. I can see it working in theory but in practice its just a mess. I'm referring to pubbie play btw, not with RL friends or clans.

Ohh, well if you're simply talking about oblivious morons that won't drop ammo for you, I agree that that sucks. :p

I was commenting more on the gameplay design/balancing aspect, which could actually still use some work. The problem occurs more now, I think, because they made that boneheaded move to improve the global potency of suppression; what they should have done was make it less effective for all non-Support classes, so that more people would have a reason to play ammo guy. The LMGs are easily outclassed by rifles, so after the mortar nerf, all he's really good for is the risky-but-effective tactic of C4ing vehicles.

16. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 15:33 everyone

Yep, it's looking pretty fantastic.  

15. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 15:26 Verno

Argh just got this in my email and thought it was the actual beta start thing  

14. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 15:25 Trevellian

Not a very lofty thing at all to say when you played Planetside for years. Continue to play Planetside... And have watched well over 6 hours of this "ACTUAL GAMEPLAY" you speak of during E3 Live Streams.

I know more than I need to know about this game to know I will play it constantly for a very long time.

There have been several videos posted to Blues with actual gameplay. If you missed them, that is on you.

It's also not very hard to go to Youtube and type in "Planetside 2 E3 Stream"

For the Republic

13. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 15:23 DangerDog

Cutter wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 14:20:
Planetside 2 beta news!

I've signed up for a beta key through the main website, I'm not jumping through any hoops (twitter & facebook bullshit) to get a key.

from what I understand initial beta tests will be a weekend affair, long way to go before the game is ready to be played 24/7 which probably won't be till August/September for a wider beta test.

12. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 15:12 eRe4s3r

11. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 15:03 Trevellian

Best Game Ever.

For the Republic

10. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 14:42 Verno

What? Did you play Bad Company 2? It was a LOT worse giving the ammo dispenser to the class with the underslung grenade launcher... Not to mention really weird that a machine gunner had medic equipment. And then it wouldn't make sense to give it to the Engineer or Recon, so Support is really the only option, and was the design for every other game in the series. It's not like being on the front lines prevents them from being effective in combat, nor is requiring teammates come back to the rear firing line for resupply a big deal.

Anyway it sounds like these guys have made a lot of smart design decisions so I'm really anxious to get into the beta and check it all out. They said they would announce a date at E3, come on already

9. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 14:26 jacobvandy

Verno wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 14:16:
xornand wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 13:57:
Bah, Humbug.
Looks like they ripped off the BF3 menus.
Just watch, this game will be garbage.

It'll be garbage because some of the menu elements are similar? Well uh ok.

I was listening to the E3 presentation and I'm glad they didn't make the same mistake as BF3 and put ammo deployment on the class who is supposed to hang back and suppress.

What? Did you play Bad Company 2? It was a LOT worse giving the ammo dispenser to the class with the underslung grenade launcher... Not to mention really weird that a machine gunner had medic equipment. And then it wouldn't make sense to give it to the Engineer or Recon, so Support is really the only option, and was the design for every other game in the series. It's not like being on the front lines prevents them from being effective in combat, nor is requiring teammates come back to the rear firing line for resupply a big deal.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo