Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: etc. Jun 27, 2012, 09:23 nin

I love the fact they continually said "Well, it's DLC, but it's not changing the ending" to suddenly "oh look! different endings!"

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: etc. Jun 27, 2012, 02:40 Asmodai

Exactly, and how much fucking effort would it have been to do it in the first place??

A few still shots, a bit of extra animation, a few extra voice overs. Considering the length of the game, that it's fully voiced and the number of in game and rendered cutscenes, a drop in the bucket.

Kinda pisses me off that any future games will be prequels, the Shepard story, bar the original ending, was quite enjoyable even if it was a BW special. Still one of my fave series of all time but this experience has tarnished it somewhat...

26. Re: etc. Jun 27, 2012, 01:11 Creston

Having seen all the endings now on one of my playthroughs, I have to say it makes them far, far more palatable. Had Bioware simply included these straight from the get-go, there wouldn't have been such an uproar.

I still think the Catalyst is wrong, but there is nothing that says that he has to BE right. He simply has to believe that he is. The explanations make him easier to swallow, and I like that there is now a rejection ending.

The endings are still similar in quite a few ways, but it's no longer a case that the color of the explosion is different and thats it. The voice-overs for the extended scenes are excellent, and do a good job of inferring what direction the universe is going in after this.

All in all, I'd say they did a pretty good job at salvaging what was originally an utter mess. It's still not the greatest ending in the world, but it's at least no longer just totally destroying a fantastic trilogy.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2012, 02:04.

25. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 19:38 Creston

MacLeod wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 19:20:
TheEmissary wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 18:19:
There is a scene right before you get hit by harbinger that explains a plot hole of how your crew members got off the planet.

Of course, it leaves another plot hole of why the hell didn't harbinger blast the crap out of the Normandy when it came in... just saying.

I find that peculiar too. People are explaining it away by saying that the Normandy has the Reaper IFF installed, but you'd imagine that Harbinger would be able to see right through that.

Creston

24. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 19:37 Creston

Asmo wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 18:03:
Also, I'm not sure how they'll craft the next ME game based on the end of this one (if in fact they are going to do some sequel, it was recommended that you hang on to your save games.. =\ )

They recommended you hang on to your save games just as a pimp for DLC. The Mass Effect trilogy is the end of the series. Any future ME games would be set prior to the events of Shepard, or at least so they said.

To be honest, I'd love to see a story set in the Rachni wars. To be the Krogan commando who goes and wipes out the Rachni Queen.

Creston

23. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 19:35 Creston

Creston wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 13:06:
Jivaro wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 12:55:
edit: Besides that, I am most definitely not going to replay all the way from the beginning of the base mission just to see 5 minutes of cutscenes.

All new stuff happens after Harbinger hits you with his beam. The only reason Bioware said "Play from before you go after Cerberus' base" is because the game auto-saves there after you had finished it. So they could be reasonably sure that everyone who had finished it had a save right there.

If you have a save right before the beam hits you, you can just go from there.

Creston

Actually that isn't true. There are scenes spread out from the Cerberus base. There is a scene right before you get hit by harbinger that explains a plot hole of how your crew members got off the planet.

I should have said "Right as you start running towards the portal."

There is no extra content IN the Cerberus base itself.

Creston

22. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 19:20 MacLeod

There is a scene right before you get hit by harbinger that explains a plot hole of how your crew members got off the planet.

Of course, it leaves another plot hole of why the hell didn't harbinger blast the crap out of the Normandy when it came in... just saying.

21. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 18:19 TheEmissary

Jivaro wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 12:55:
edit: Besides that, I am most definitely not going to replay all the way from the beginning of the base mission just to see 5 minutes of cutscenes.

All new stuff happens after Harbinger hits you with his beam. The only reason Bioware said "Play from before you go after Cerberus' base" is because the game auto-saves there after you had finished it. So they could be reasonably sure that everyone who had finished it had a save right there.

If you have a save right before the beam hits you, you can just go from there.

Creston

Actually that isn't true. There are scenes spread out from the Cerberus base. There is a scene right before you get hit by harbinger that explains a plot hole of how your crew members got off the planet.

20. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 18:03 Asmo

Verno wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 15:42:
Hah yeah my buddy was telling me the writers included that one as a literal fuck you to fans "you hate Star Kid? you get the bad ending!", he was flipping out. He described the whole EC in general as a bandaid on a gunshot wound. Fixes some inconsistencies and gives some character closure but doesn't really change many of the other core problems. Anyways gonna try it out later and see what they did.

I just watched the youtubes, I'll bother playing it again in a year or so to get some distance from my disappointment over the initial snafu.

If these fully realised endings, including refusal, had come out with the original game, I would have been satisfied. I still love the idea of the indoctrination ending but the new extended versions really get rid of any ambiguity in that case (assuming you accept them at face value *grin*).

It's funny how all the problems with the gates going boom are fixed (even in the destruction ending, the gates are repaired by non-reapers), restoring the galactic fast transit system.

Also, I'm not sure how they'll craft the next ME game based on the end of this one (if in fact they are going to do some sequel, it was recommended that you hang on to your save games.. =\ ). The complexity of working in

-a universe with no AI
-a universe with reapers under the control of Shep
-a synthesis universe
-a refusal ending (game over of course)

to a coherent storyline would be quite a task..

All in all, I didn't call for an extended cut but I'm pretty satisfied where it ended.

19. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 17:48 Lorcin

erm didn't notice much difference apart from being padded. My love interest who also happened to be in my final squad still miraculously appeared on the other side of the galaxy. I can't say this resolved any of the story lines, just added a few sections of padding.  

18. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 16:41 NKD

Don't have ME3 handy right now, but I watched all the new footage on YouTube. VAST improvement that dramatically changes the tone of the ending from one of confusion and a general sense that they forgot to finish it, to something with some actual foresight on the future of the Mass Effect universe after your choice.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

17. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 15:54 MacLeod

All new stuff happens after Harbinger hits you with his beam.

There's also cut scenes before the rush to the teleporter beam that shows the Normandy coming in to get your companions and if your love interest is there, you get a goodbye sequence.

16. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 15:42 Verno

Hah yeah my buddy was telling me the writers included that one as a literal fuck you to fans "you hate Star Kid? you get the bad ending!", he was flipping out. He described the whole EC in general as a bandaid on a gunshot wound. Fixes some inconsistencies and gives some character closure but doesn't really change many of the other core problems. Anyways gonna try it out later and see what they did.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

15. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 14:52 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 13:54:
Gonna give it a whirl later tonight and see, I kept a save near the end so it should only take an hour.

Whatever you do, don't fire your gun when it comes to making a choice unless you are absolutely sure you want to see the "reject all options" ending. I was going to choose the same ending I did before to see how the extended cut affected it (destroy all synthetics for the record)...I fired my gun in a random direction on my way to the "choice", on accident really, and the next thing I know the little boy goes all Palpatine on me. I still don't know how the extended cut affects the ending I actually want to see..because I am annoyed enough now that I am going to have to wait awhile to try again. If I didn't have to start so far back and walk so damn slowly that would be one thing, but it takes like 20 minutes to redo this crap...and when you have already seen it a few times, it gets really stale.

You have been warned. Fingers off the trigger during decision time unless you really want that particular ending because even if you aren't aiming at him, it can set off that ending.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 2012, 15:22.

14. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 13:54 Verno

Gonna give it a whirl later tonight and see, I kept a save near the end so it should only take an hour.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

13. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 13:14 Ecthelion

Kate Middleton to voice Lara Croft... sort of...
Wow, I've seen some desperate attempts to get clicks before, but that misleading title is pretty high on the list. Note that this is not an any way, shape, or form a criticism of Blue or the site. That is the title of the article after all. But the author could definitely start up a career in marketing.

12. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 13:14 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 13:08:
Creston wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 13:04:
It's available as an add-on. Under ME3, click the "shop for add ons" button.

However, it won't download yet, for whatever reason.

Creston

I had to quit and reload Origin to see it, and then after "purchasing" it, I had to quit and reload Origin again to get it to actually download. FYI for anybody else who might be having issues.

Yeah, I was just going to post that. It's downloading now.

Creston

11. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 13:08 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 13:04:
It's available as an add-on. Under ME3, click the "shop for add ons" button.

However, it won't download yet, for whatever reason.

Creston

I had to quit and reload Origin to see it, and then after "purchasing" it, I had to quit and reload Origin again to get it to actually download. FYI for anybody else who might be having issues.

10. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 13:07 Creston

Btw, don't know if people have seen this before or not, but THIS is apparently how ME3 was originally supposed to end...

Creston

9. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 13:06 nin

I mean hell, if I want to be underwhelmed and annoyed I can load up Diablo 3...eh?

I must agree.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo