Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained

The Scrolls Website announces Mojang's next game is approaching the closed alpha testing phase, also taking the opportunity to look ahead an explain how they envision beta testing to progress for their upcoming collectable card-style strategy game (thanks Videogamer.com). Word from Mojang cofounder Jakob Porser is this will be handled much like they did Minecraft:

We are rapidly approaching the closed alpha of Scrolls. Although this alpha version will be far from a feature complete version of the game, it will include multiplayer matches, single player matches vs AI and the Deck Builder, where you can build your decks out of the 100+ scrolls that currently exist in the game.

As we get closer to a stable build, we will stop the closed alpha, and move to an open beta, where you will be able to buy the game at a reduced price and with some added benefits (more about that later).

At that point, we will also look to include the single player world, where you can explore and do battle to earn new scrolls to your collection.

Keep in mind, that the beta will not be feature complete. We will still have a big bag of goodies that we plan to include over time, such as an auction house where you may buy or sell scrolls from each other and additional features in the world such as character customization, items, quests and so on. If youíre wondering why we would release a game thatís obviously not finished, the reason is simple: We want your feedback in good time to help us shape Scrolls to be the next big online Collectible Card Game!

So if youíre curious enough to pick up a copy of the game, please donít be shy. Hit the forums and help us out!

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Yes!!!! Jun 26, 2012, 08:38 nin

JohnBirshire wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 01:33:
A new contender in the high stakes, highly competitive, highly profitable online card game market! If all goes as plan they will corner 50% of the market, or 16 people to be exact, within the first year of launch!

But what about the minimap?????????????

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Yes!!!! Jun 26, 2012, 01:33 JohnBirshire

A new contender in the high stakes, highly competitive, highly profitable online card game market! If all goes as plan they will corner 50% of the market, or 16 people to be exact, within the first year of launch!  

21. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 19:20 Dev

Creston wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 18:07:
Hasn't this video game been made like a dozen times already?

Creston
Why yes. And not just that series. I come across card type games on steam not unfrequently.

Which is why I've been saying its a mistake for mojang to try and push this into a crowded market. They don't have the name recognization of magic, and the videos don't make the game stand out to me.

20. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 18:32 SimplyMonk

Flatline wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 18:06:
But it's still absurdly expensive. I sunk hundreds of dollars into Game of Thrones LCG.

Yeah. Sounds like a model I'd be more comfortable with as at that point you are really just buying a card/board game with regular content expansions. The only gripe I would have there is if you HAVE to buy each expansion to stay competitive or older cycles were no longer legal for general play.

19. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 18:07 Creston

Hasn't this video game been made like a dozen times already?

Creston

18. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 18:06 Flatline

SimplyMonk wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 17:20:
Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 15:40:
Whenever I see a term like "collectible cards" I just read it as 'money sink'.

Being a recovering CCG enthusiast, I can wholeheartedly agree. I still enjoy the games for the strategy, but I can no longer tolerate the collecting aspect. Not only do you have to be good at the strategy, but you also have to pay to not be at a severe disadvantage. Not exactly "Pay to Win", but close enough for me.

I got into LCG games for a while and they're a better solution IMHO. Kicker packs every month (2 cycles of kickers), one or two big box expansions per year, 3 dupes per pack, no dicking around with rares & shit. It's a better solution if you want to play, as opposed to the economy game that is Magic. It's also nice for a cube draft variant because it makes having a comprehensive selection *really* easy.

But it's still absurdly expensive. I sunk hundreds of dollars into Game of Thrones LCG.

Edit: I was halfway expecting Minecraft-level graphics... But I'm totally unimpressed thus far. Maybe it'll get more interesting as it progresses into beta.

17. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 17:20 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 15:40:

Being a recovering CCG enthusiast, I can wholeheartedly agree. I still enjoy the games for the strategy, but I can no longer tolerate the collecting aspect. Not only do you have to be good at the strategy, but you also have to pay to not be at a severe disadvantage. Not exactly "Pay to Win", but close enough for me.

16. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 15:40 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadÖ Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

15. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 15:00 Dev

Dirwulf wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 14:26:
Mojang: The Gathering
Thats a catchier name than "Scrolls"
Albeit one thats just as likely to get them sued

14. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 14:26 Dirwulf

Mojang: The Gathering

13. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 13:39 bozu

So it's just Hero Academy?  

12. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 12:49 Alamar

Dev wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 12:11:
They say to hit forums to enter alpha, but clicking on Community says "coming soon" LOL
Tip: If you tell people to enter forums, you might want to enable said link to forums.

After a quick google, here's the scrolls forum link:
http://www.scrollsguide.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

They don't seem to have any details as to entering the alpha.

Hellbinder wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 12:09:
i dont know... scrolls seems pretty memorable to me. Only one of its kind. simple, easy to remember etc.

Its perfect.
I disagree. Regardless though, they agreed not to trademark it. So if it hits it big, someone could easily make a flash version of a similar game and call it the same.

http://www.scrollsguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=567 for a 12 min video of a full match... So at least that portion of the game is viewable (assuming it'll have other portions, which seems unlikely)...

Bring on some Etherlords III : ) With or without RMAH... : )

-Alamar

11. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 12:18 space captain

Dev wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 12:00:
It was just plain silly to fight beth over this (REGARDLESS of who was right). Mojang doesn't have nearly the resources to fight them and win, they should have renamed the game to something else, something more memorable, something they COULD trademark. Even if it had to have scrolls in the name, it could have been "Fantastical Combat Scrolls" or some such (just making up a silly name from the top of my head)

but then they would have lost to the MAN! and worse than that, the AMERICAN MAN!!

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 12:11 Dev

They say to hit forums to enter alpha, but clicking on Community says "coming soon" LOL
Tip: If you tell people to enter forums, you might want to enable said link to forums.

After a quick google, here's the scrolls forum link:
http://www.scrollsguide.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

They don't seem to have any details as to entering the alpha.

Hellbinder wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 12:09:
i dont know... scrolls seems pretty memorable to me. Only one of its kind. simple, easy to remember etc.

Its perfect.
I disagree. Regardless though, they agreed not to trademark it. So if it hits it big, someone could easily make a flash version of a similar game and call it the same.

9. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 12:09 Hellbinder

Its perfect.

The Whales name is Bob.

8. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 12:00 Dev

Here's a link to a just uploaded today gameplay trailer (from their website's media page):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsaix5q3VEU
Kastagir wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 11:58:
This is a game without a copyright/trademark, right?
I don't recall the exact details, blue posted some info on a deal with beth. Something about how they couldn't trademark the name scrolls I think? That doesn't prevent them from copyrighting the game I don't believe.
Edit: Here's the link http://www.bluesnews.com/s/130685/scrolls-will-be-scrolls

It was just plain silly to fight beth over this (REGARDLESS of who was right). Mojang doesn't have nearly the resources to fight them and win, they should have renamed the game to something else, something more memorable, something they COULD trademark. Even if it had to have scrolls in the name, it could have been "Fantastical Combat Scrolls" or some such (just making up a silly name from the top of my head)

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2012, 12:08.

7. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 11:58 Kastagir

This is a game without a copyright/trademark, right?  

6. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 11:56 Dev

Alamar wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 10:46:
Edit: Just read through the Game info page, and it looks less interesting now... So much for marketing hype... I'm not seeing anything new to the genre...

-Alamar
And they are entering a crowded digital CCG market, with a non-memorable name. I really don't think doing this game was a good move for mojang.

I wonder if the scrolls auction house will be a real money auction house where they take a cut, like diablo 3, or if they will only do a in game currency "gold" auction house.

Oh, and here's a direct link to the game info page if anyone wants it:
http://scrolls.com/game

5. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 11:31 Wowbagger_TIP

I would definitely be on board for a new Etherlords-like game. Not sure if this is that though.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

4. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 10:46 Alamar

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 10:25:
Looks like a combination of Heroes of M&M and Magic: The Gathering to me...

I don't see any of HOMM in there... I assume you (and others) are saying that because it uses a hex grid (like thousands of other games heh)... But none of the video had any kind of unit control...

It looks, to me, like MTG... You have your summoned mobs, and when you have things attack, they're either blocked (by other mobs in that line), or they get to the back row (which in MTG is the player), which is a wall/fence...

As long as the battles are interesting (Etherlords) without too much stupid complexity (MTG), and the out-of-card-combat game is also fun; maybe even hex-terrain like (HOMM, Etherlords, Kings Bounty), I may have interest... You may have noticed, I liked Etherlords (II), and would like a sequel to that style.

Edit: Just read through the Game info page, and it looks less interesting now... So much for marketing hype... I'm not seeing anything new to the genre...

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2012, 10:52.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo