Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 26, 2012, 09:34 Verno

wtf_man wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 21:15:
I thought they had to make a hardware specific version for one to be able to update.

Like if you have an HTC Desire, you can't upgrade it to Ice Cream Sandwich, or whatever, without the carrier making an update.

No idea on the specifics, someone else had hacked together a rom and I just threw it on. Works like a charm and doesn't have any of my carrier cruft to boot. There's always stuff like Cyangenomod and etc as well.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 25, 2012, 21:15 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 15:40:
That's really the great thing about Android though, you can just do it yourself. My carrier and even the phones manufacturer didn't feel like updating mine for ICS so I did it myself.

I thought they had to make a hardware specific version for one to be able to update.

Like if you have an HTC Desire, you can't upgrade it to Ice Cream Sandwich, or whatever, without the carrier making an update.

10. Re: iPhone 5: Every iPhone Accessory You Own Just Became Obsolete Jun 25, 2012, 17:42 Bet

Nighthawk wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 15:07:
It's a good thing that apple isn't losing any market share due to competition of android, otherwise alienating their customer base by changing connectors might cause people to switch to the competition that uses USB.
Is that a Firewire-losing-to-USB reference?

9. Re: iPhone 5: Every iPhone Accessory You Own Just Became Obsolete Jun 25, 2012, 17:18 Jim

OM NOM NOM NOM says the landfill.  
Jim

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 25, 2012, 15:40 Verno

Hmmm... like market share not being lost for carriers refusing to update Android Phone OS's to try to force you buy a new phone to remain secure and up to date?

That's really the great thing about Android though, you can just do it yourself. My carrier and even the phones manufacturer didn't feel like updating mine for ICS so I did it myself. Choice is a wonderful thing. Some people don't care though and just want a guided experience and that's where iOS shines.

Besides the whole customization vs walled garden debate and specific app implementations, there is really little in difference in the stock experiences in both of them. They're pretty much identical in most of the ways that matter to consumers which always makes the debates seem pointless.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

7. Re: iPhone 5: Every iPhone Accessory You Own Just Became Obsolete Jun 25, 2012, 15:34 wtf_man

I don't buy a ton of accessories, so I guess it just doesn't affect me that much.

Nighthawk wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 15:07:
It's a good thing that apple isn't losing any market share due to competition of android, otherwise alienating their customer base by changing connectors might cause people to switch to the competition that uses USB.

Hmmm... like market share not being lost for carriers refusing to update Android Phone OS's to try to force you buy a new phone to remain secure and up to date?

I really don't want to get into an Android vs. IOS debate... they both have their pros and cons. As far as a change to the port... I'm sure it had to happen eventually... and of course people will squawk over the change.

/shrug

6. iPhone 5: Every iPhone Accessory You Own Just Became Obsolete Jun 25, 2012, 15:07 Nighthawk

5. Re: Iranian-American woman says Apple refused to sell her an iPad Jun 25, 2012, 13:13 eRe4s3r

Indeed, when she really intended to ship it to Iran the store actually would be breaking the law to sell it to her. But more importantly, she would be committing a crime if she'd really ship it to Iran, and not just in the US by the way.

Seems to me this is a clear dual use technology, and that means she may get some serious lawsuit attached to her should she actually send it. I hope someone tells her that before she does it, because now she basically announced her intent to break the law in public. You can not get much dumber than that.

4. Re: iPhone 5: Every iPhone Accessory You Own Just Became Obsolete Jun 25, 2012, 12:32 Dev

wtf_man wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 10:11:
Even if it is true that Apple changed the port... there will be adapters. About the only things that will be obsolete are cases (which are regularly obsoleted by the design changes), and the external battery products that connect right against the phone.

A bunch of rukus about nothing.
Yes there may be adapters, but those adapters may not work too well in anything that is intended to dock with something like an ipod or iphone, partly because of the physical configuration and how most of those docks are designed to form fit a device with that port and the one with an adapter might just fall out, and partly because such an adapter rarely offers 100% compatibility in 100% of situations (here's a random example of another adapter, a parallel port adapter to USB. Those don't work with a lot of printers and other applications)

And those issues and more are also part of the ruckus (did you read any of the articles about potential problems with an adapter?)

But while I can understand it, I don't have much sympathy. Most apple fans run at the chance to buy overpriced apple products, and they will run at the chance to buy overpriced next gen accessories to go with it.

3. Re: Iranian-American woman says Apple refused to sell her an iPad Jun 25, 2012, 10:46 Will W

I really hope that Apple store employee doesn't get in trouble for not selling the Ipad to the woman. The article only gives one side of the story, however even with just that information it appears that she volunteered the information that she was planning to purchase the Ipad to ship it to Iran, although it doesn't say if she gave that information in-store. If the employee sold her an Ipad knowing that her intention was to break US export laws, he would be an accessory to the crime.

It seems to me the Apple employee acted correctly in the store. I wonder if the employee at Apple Corporate was told that the Ipad was bound for Iran before advising the customer to purchase online.

2. Re: iPhone 5: Every iPhone Accessory You Own Just Became Obsolete Jun 25, 2012, 10:33 Flatline

wtf_man wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 10:11:
Even if it is true that Apple changed the port... there will be adapters. About the only things that will be obsolete are cases (which are regularly obsoleted by the design changes), and the external battery products that connect right against the phone.

And considering how overpriced everything is, the adapter will be 40 dollars.

The thing that sucks is that it's no longer one plug for all your ios devices if this is true.

1. iPhone 5: Every iPhone Accessory You Own Just Became Obsolete Jun 25, 2012, 10:11 wtf_man

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo