Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo

Steam now offers a playable demo for Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013, the latest installment in the computer game series based on the collectable card game. There are no details on the demo, so here's word on the game itself: "In the latest version of this hit franchise, play with friends or the AI as you travel across fantastic planes, take on new encounters and opponents, solve challenging puzzles, and face up to three other players in the Planechase multiplayer format. After honing your skills, pit yourself against the ultimate villain of the Multiverse, the dragon Planeswalker Nicol Bolas. Featuring ten customizable decks, Magic 2013 offers new features including individual records for your game play, new game items to unlock, and, for those already skilled in slinging spells, the option to choose what lands to tap when you cast your spells." Thanks Frans.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 25, 2012, 18:16 DarkCntry

Ceribaen wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 12:25:
Unfortunately it seems every iteration of the yearly release seems to go down in terms of build quality. 2011 was nice, 2012 added new bugs without really adding features, and the initial set of forum posts makes 2013 sound almost entirely unplayable.

I do believe they usually give it a couple post-release patches, so I'll just wait for the new decks and inevitable 50 or 75% off sale and then grab it.

In the mean time 2012 is good enough since I use it as a single player time waster.

Not sure what bugs they are experiencing, but I haven't had a single one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 25, 2012, 12:25 Ceribaen

Unfortunately it seems every iteration of the yearly release seems to go down in terms of build quality. 2011 was nice, 2012 added new bugs without really adding features, and the initial set of forum posts makes 2013 sound almost entirely unplayable.

I do believe they usually give it a couple post-release patches, so I'll just wait for the new decks and inevitable 50 or 75% off sale and then grab it.

In the mean time 2012 is good enough since I use it as a single player time waster.

10. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 25, 2012, 02:33 rist3903

I am very much hoping they tidied up the rounds. The game dawdled for quite a while after every input, and all that time added up.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to clarify I was talking about 2012 there, don't know anything about 2013 yet.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2012, 04:02.

9. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 25, 2012, 00:17 MisterBenn

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 23:12:
I guess it's ok if you <...> just want to play with the decks they give you.

It's definitely a bit diluted in the way that you say. From what I've seen so far though, the deck customisation options are quite a bit better than last year. You get 60 cards plus 30 unlocks this time around, last year you just unlocked more powerful cards and mainly just optimised the deck. This time you have enough unlocks to push the decks in one of a few different directions.

Also for the ambitious, the mod tools just got coded for 2013. If you are prepared to learn how the game expects you to articulte all of its rules and then code cards in Lua within XML then you can put your own decks in the game. Even the AI makes excellent use of the new cards and the heuristics it uses have frequently improvised combinations of attacks and spells that I haven't thought of myself. It plays like a chess computer in that it plays very few short term mistakes but it doesn't always pursue long term goals in an optimial fashion and you can sometimes distract it away from it's best interests.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

8. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 24, 2012, 23:35 Dev

killer_roach wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 22:33:
Dev wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 20:29:
And Scrolls has to break into this crowded online collectible market. I have no idea why notch is screwing around with this, he should be focusing on minecraft stuff, minecraft expansion, minecraft 2, etc.

Probably because Notch has taken Minecraft as far as he can, which would explain also why he's handed the reins to it to somebody else.
Yes, but I'm critical of his choice of scrolls to be one of mojang's next projects. Its not innovative, its a crowded market, and it doesn't have name recognization like Magic to make it rise above the crowd.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2012, 00:33.

7. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 24, 2012, 23:12 Wowbagger_TIP

MisterBenn wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 19:30:
MTG Online is the money sink, not this one. Duels of the Planeswalkers was incredibly cheap for 2012, the game itself was under 15, I don't recall, and there were 3 DLCs of 1.99 each that added a total of 8 new decks. I played that over 100 hours and much longer than that modding in more cards and decks with the unofficial tools, it's the best value for money game I've played in a while.

The 2013 iteration is 6.99! Even with just the vanilla decks I'd recommend this straight away to someone who enjoys playing Magic. I've never touched a real card in my life, I just play this on the basis of it being a turn based strategy game with very good rules and AI.
Yeah, you're right. I was thinking MTGO. This is the one that I wasn't big on because it doesn't let you build your own decks. I guess it's ok if you don't care about that part and just want to play with the decks they give you. I remember trying the demo for last years' version, but it seemed like the second (iirc) opponent was almost impossible unless you got really lucky with your draws.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

6. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 24, 2012, 22:33 killer_roach

Dev wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 20:29:
And Scrolls has to break into this crowded online collectible market. I have no idea why notch is screwing around with this, he should be focusing on minecraft stuff, minecraft expansion, minecraft 2, etc.

Probably because Notch has taken Minecraft as far as he can, which would explain also why he's handed the reins to it to somebody else.

5. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 24, 2012, 20:29 Dev

4. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 24, 2012, 19:36 jacobvandy

DOTP is cheap as fuck compared to playing the physical card game or MTGO, despite the yearly releases and DLC (ONLY buy actual new decks, not the unlocks or cosmetic shiny foil stuff). It's $10 for several new features that make a tangible impact on ease of use and 10 new decks, so well worth it for me and my buddies who play it often. It's going to cost you at least that much to buy a single physical deck, then you'd have to buy a bunch of booster packs at like $5-8 a pop to get appropriate cards for customizing it (in DOTP you unlock another 30 cards for each deck). Or lay down like $30-60 for one of their deck builder sets with a few hundred cards to mix and match.

Since I have no interest in collecting and enjoy the convenience of playing online, this is a great game for me. I do wish they'd let you play the older decks in the new version, though.

3. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 24, 2012, 19:30 MisterBenn

MTG Online is the money sink, not this one. Duels of the Planeswalkers was incredibly cheap for 2012, the game itself was under 15, I don't recall, and there were 3 DLCs of 1.99 each that added a total of 8 new decks. I played that over 100 hours and much longer than that modding in more cards and decks with the unofficial tools, it's the best value for money game I've played in a while.

The 2013 iteration is 6.99! Even with just the vanilla decks I'd recommend this straight away to someone who enjoys playing Magic. I've never touched a real card in my life, I just play this on the basis of it being a turn based strategy game with very good rules and AI.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

2. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 24, 2012, 18:51 Wowbagger_TIP

Money sink.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

1. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 24, 2012, 15:06 Cutter

Dewlz.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo