Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report of the 10 bestselling games on their Steam service for this past week:

1. Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gods & Kings
  2. Arma II: Combined Operations
  3. Deus Ex: Collections
  4. Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
  5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Collection 2
  6. Max Payne 3
  7. The Elder Scrolls V" Skyrim
  8. Deus Ex: Human Revolutions
  9. Magic: The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
  10. Torchlight II

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 20:50 jimnms

Sepharo wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 17:12:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 16:39:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 14:40:
As far as the expansion goes... Meh, I don't think it brings all that much to the game. Spies and religion felt very minor in terms of my empire. I had some religious perks that gave me gold for every follower, faster border expansion, and faster religion expansion. Being the top religion was very easy and maintenance free and I got some big borders and extra gold out of it.
I disagree. Spies make a huge difference to diplomatic victories and mean that city states are no longer just huge money sinks. Faith allows you to customise the game to your play style, which for me means a focus on happiness and/or production. More importantly, the AI has received a complete overhaul and is much more compelling - especially now that you can take cities from the sea (very useful for dealing with city states). In addition the entire game has been rebalanced, so cities are much stronger and siege units are much more important. And the new civs have some interesting perks, like the ability to annex a city state via forced marriage or razing cities at twice the rate.

I put the expansion right up there with Beyond The Sword.

You disagree but I agree with everything you wrote

I wasn't sure if the AI and general game improvements were part of the expansion or just patches since I last played at launch. As far as spies go... I'm always the one with all the city state allies anyway, I do pay them frequently but since I usually focus on gold anyway it's no big deal... Also the missions help a lot and it seems that they cut down on the "destroy this encampment" missions. Most of mine were "connect a road to us", "have this luxury resource", and "generate the most culture/faith/happiness in a certain period" all of which were easy. Perhaps I have the difficulty too low, I think it's a few notches above default though.

edit: Oh... they just don't give you enough spies to have a huge effect in my opinion either. I think you get 2 by the modern age, and then another if you build the NSA. Probably an extra if you're a specific leader too.

So far I'm enjoying the expansion. I'm still in my first game with it, and I was the 2nd civ to founded a religion, and a neighboring civ founded one after me. I like that you get to pick perks for your religion, one for you if you're the founder and follower perks. I happened to have my capitol city near 4 sources of wine, and one of the pantheon beliefs was +1 faith for each source of wine, so I chose that. When I was able to expand it to a full religion, I chose the monastery deal that adds more faith for each source of wine worked by a city, so I'm rolling in faith. I bought a prophet (or whatever it is) to spread my religion to one of my cities and to my neighbor because his religion was starting to push into one of my cities. I like the way religion is done with this expansion. In Civ IV religion really wasn't useful.

I'm not sure of the AI enhancements yet (if there are any). I usually play with the random personalities turned on so that you don't know what a leader is going to be like, but this game I left it off since I'm playing with the new civs and leaders. I think the AI cheats, or it was huge coincidence and this particular civ leader is just weird. I only have one civ on my borders, Pacal of the Mayans. I was thinking that he would eventually attack me because of our close borders, and there is a lot of unclaimed land north of my territory that no one else can get to without going through me. My military was a bit pathetic, just two archers, two or three spearmen and a warrior. My military adviser said that our military was no match for theirs and not to mess with them, so I was planning to beef up my military. Then I started a golden age, so I took a gamble and switched two of my three cities to building world wonders. One of the wonders was Stonehenge.

The very next turn, Pacal declares war on me, and when his military stormed out of the fog, it was warriors and his unique version of archers. He focused his attack on the city where I was building Stonehenge. I'm playing as Carthage, and I had enough gold to buy two spearmen or my unique unit the African War Elephant. I chose to go with the war elephant because of its special fear penalty it puts on nearby enemy units. I weakened his units with attacks from the city and the archers in the city. He hit a couple of my units hard which I pulled back to heal, then my war elephant got there and I took out three of his units before I had to retreat it to heal. He chased it down with three of his archer units and killed it though. Anyway, he made three attacks at the city then retreated and offered a peace treaty and some gold, which I gladly took.

After this he is all nice to me and shit. He attacked me with weak units when he had more powerful units. He was either testing my defenses, trying to get rid of obsolete units, or this is part of his personality or just AI weirdness.

A bit later, I'm two turns from completing Stonehenge when Pacal beats me to it. Either the AI cheats and he knew I was building Stonehenge too since he only attacked the city where I was building it, maybe trying to force me to change production. It could be a coincidence because it was the closest city to his border, but only by one tile. Either way, I now have a sizable military presence on our border now, and he's still friendly to me.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 20:00 mag

Chromius wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 16:52:

I played the original Dues Ex and loved it, the the second one did not interest me much so I never purchased it, is Deus Ex Human Revolutions decent by PC standards? and is the second one worth playing?

I loved Deus Ex, and I went into HR being really skeptical. I actually spent the first part of the game being pretty pissed off at how terrible the movement was.

But. If you turn off the cover-shooting, and you avoid the press-A-to-win button, and you disable the make-everything-go-bright-yellow option, and you can tolerate how awful the movement is until you get a couple of augs, it's a damn good game and a good successor to Deus Ex.

The world is less interactive by a lot, but I guess it's about as much as you can expect out of a recent game.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 20:00 MisterBenn

Civ IV was the last Civ game for me. Civ 5 was dumbed down (simplified) way too much for the console masses just like many other titles in the last few years. It is good they improved it a little though. Have not played the expansion, but I just cant see how it competes with Civ IV Beyond the Sword after reading about it?

I haven't tried the expansion but stopped playing Civ 5 after a couple of games as I disagreed with some of the design changes. I hated Social Policies instead of Civics most of all, it made the game feel much less like a political or world simulator and just another game where you can unlock arbitrary bonuses from some trees. It felt much more like every other modern game because of that.

I also didn't like the City States! In previous civs, all cities adhered to the same ruleset of claiming ground and building improvements and buildings to utilise the natural resources. In civ 5 an arbitrary number of city states would run on a completely different system of not expanding, spawning units on a timer rather than producing them, etc. They also had their own diplomacy system that didn't use the same personality or relationship methods as the other civs. You even had civilisations and policies that gave bonuses to dealing with just these kinds of rival! I felt they took the original, organic setup of previous games and crowbarred an unneccesary set of game mechanics on top for the sake of it, and they made things a lot worse.

While that probably sounds like a rant, I do appreciate that many of the things that made Civ great are still there, I expect crushing people with tanks and helicopters after they've dicked you around still feels pretty great. I understand why it's been a polarising release; for me the new additions detracted from the epic scope and drained a lot of the flavour too and left something that left more like a board game.

Incidentally Chromius, if you still play Civ 4 have you tried K-Mod? This chap Karadoc works on Beyond the Sword to this day, he's quite restrained with changes to the vanilla game but he's made a great many AI improvements, some balancing and done some nifty things with the GUI like rewrite the unit cycling logic so that after you move a unit it cycles to one nearby instead of jumping to the other side of the planet... many nifty things like that. It's really worth taking a look!

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 19:33 theyarecomingforyou

Civ IV was the last Civ game for me. Civ 5 was dumbed down (simplified) way too much for the console masses just like many other titles in the last few years. It is good they improved it a little though.
So a game exclusively for the PC was dumbed down for the "console masses"? Whatever.
You disagree but I agree with everything you wrote ;P
lol
I wasn't sure if the AI and general game improvements were part of the expansion or just patches since I last played at launch.
As far as I'm aware they're separate due to the new AI behaviours (naval city assaults, etc) and the fact that the expansion has completely rebalanced the core game.
As far as spies go... I'm always the one with all the city state allies anyway, I do pay them frequently but since I usually focus on gold anyway it's no big deal... Also the missions help a lot and it seems that they cut down on the "destroy this encampment" missions. Most of mine were "connect a road to us", "have this luxury resource", and "generate the most culture/faith/happiness in a certain period" all of which were easy.
Obviously a lot depends on your play style. Usually I found the city states to be an inconvenience and invaded them. With the expansion there are a lot more general requests, like the culture/faith/happiness rewards you mentioned - that means if you play the game normally then city states will becomes friends and allies automatically, with a little gold here and there keeping your competitors away. And yeah, thankfully the tedious barbarian quests are very much diminished.
edit: Oh... they just don't give you enough spies to have a huge effect in my opinion either. I think you get 2 by the modern age, and then another if you build the NSA. Probably an extra if you're a specific leader too.
Well, I know you can get at least four without any specific leader. I just wish they were a bit more useful when dealing with other civs, as if you're ahead in technology spies are only useful for city states. Somehow I got one of my spies killed in my most recent playthrough on the sixth difficulty level and I'm pretty sure he wasn't in one of the cities that I nuked. *shrugs* Laugh

To me G&K refines the experience and makes the non-militaristic victories much more desirable / balanced. I've already sunk in over 30hrs and I'm still trying to get to grip with all the changes. I look forward to seeing what they come up with next, though they really need to sort out multiplayer support - it's ridiculous that they haven't implemented a cloud-based system that uses the Steam Friends list. I'm hopeful that with the addition of the Steam Workshop that multiplayer will be improved in a future patch / expansion.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 19:32 Slashman

Dev wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 19:13:
Slashman wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 18:22:
I'm playing it as a hacker/gunner/kinda stealth type. I honestly can't do stealth only. I can only go so long without the need to kill something.
Then you'll be the only one who likes the bosses

Probably. I already knew you couldn't stealth them from the initial player outcry. So I had an EMP grenade, shotgun and a few frag grenades ready to go when I met the first one. Took me 3 tries to get him...but I understand that some folks spent quite a while on him.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 19:13 Dev

Slashman wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 18:22:
I'm playing it as a hacker/gunner/kinda stealth type. I honestly can't do stealth only. I can only go so long without the need to kill something.
Then you'll be the only one who likes the bosses

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 18:33 Jerykk

Orogogus wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 17:03:
Civ IV was the last Civ game for me. Civ 5 was dumbed down (simplified) way too much for the console masses just like many other titles in the last few years

If that's the case, I think they missed a key part of the strategy, i.e., actually releasing it for the consoles they dumbed it down for.

This. If you're going to accuse a game of being consolized, at least check to make sure it was actually released for consoles. Civ 5 may have been simplified but it had nothing to do with consoles.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 18:24 jacobvandy

You get one per era starting with Renaissance, so that's 4 + 1 for the NSA. Still not as many as I'd like, of course, but I understand they have to limit them so you prioritize actions that are the most important to what you're doing otherwise.

I'm loving the expansion, there are so many changes and additions that freshen up the gameplay immensely, if not change it completely. I'm sure some of them (changes/fixes) were doled out to the base game with a patch, but I don't know if that would include stuff like the overhauled naval combat, improved combat AI, etc.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 18:22 Slashman

Maybe Deus Ex games aren't for me...

I am still enjoying it though.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 17:32 J

Have you tried melee only?

Edit: In a sense it's more challenging to kill people as you get less experience and therefore less luxurious augmentations. Have a minimal hack skill too!

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2012, 17:40.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 17:30 nin

J wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 17:28:
nin wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 17:18:
I cannot recommend it enough, and I'm due for a second playthrough...
You've only played through it once? I hope you have a very good excuse!

Honestly, I started a second playthrough as a rambo type style, but it wasn't as fun as the stealth route, and I stopped played. Using the burger menu to summon a chain gun and wiping out everything kinda kills the challenge of it.

It can be played either way, but I found the stealth method a lot more rewarding.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 17:28 J

nin wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 17:18:
You've only played through it once? I hope you have a very good excuse!

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 17:18 nin

I played the original Dues Ex and loved it, the the second one did not interest me much so I never purchased it, is Deus Ex Human Revolutions decent by PC standards?

Fuck! I'm gettin back on the soap box!

Go buy Human Revolution and it's DLC, The Missing Link. NOW! Do not pass Go. It's a wonderful game that surprised a lot of people (myself included) with how good it was. It was also, along with Saint's Row 3 and Skyrim, one of my favorite games of last year. And at around $11 for both (with this sale), if you explore like I did you'll get close to 30-40 hours of play time.

PC wise, it supports DX11, and runs very smoothly. Looks fantastic, and the art style gives it a very distinctive (while still neat looking) style.

edit: Here watch these. And when you get the game, make sure and crank up the soundtrack...

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2012, 17:28.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 17:12 Sepharo

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 16:39:
As far as the expansion goes... Meh, I don't think it brings all that much to the game. Spies and religion felt very minor in terms of my empire. I had some religious perks that gave me gold for every follower, faster border expansion, and faster religion expansion. Being the top religion was very easy and maintenance free and I got some big borders and extra gold out of it.
I disagree. Spies make a huge difference to diplomatic victories and mean that city states are no longer just huge money sinks. Faith allows you to customise the game to your play style, which for me means a focus on happiness and/or production. More importantly, the AI has received a complete overhaul and is much more compelling - especially now that you can take cities from the sea (very useful for dealing with city states). In addition the entire game has been rebalanced, so cities are much stronger and siege units are much more important. And the new civs have some interesting perks, like the ability to annex a city state via forced marriage or razing cities at twice the rate.

You disagree but I agree with everything you wrote

I wasn't sure if the AI and general game improvements were part of the expansion or just patches since I last played at launch. As far as spies go... I'm always the one with all the city state allies anyway, I do pay them frequently but since I usually focus on gold anyway it's no big deal... Also the missions help a lot and it seems that they cut down on the "destroy this encampment" missions. Most of mine were "connect a road to us", "have this luxury resource", and "generate the most culture/faith/happiness in a certain period" all of which were easy. Perhaps I have the difficulty too low, I think it's a few notches above default though.

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 17:03 Orogogus

Civ IV was the last Civ game for me. Civ 5 was dumbed down (simplified) way too much for the console masses just like many other titles in the last few years

If that's the case, I think they missed a key part of the strategy, i.e., actually releasing it for the consoles they dumbed it down for.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 16:54 Techie714

Sepharo wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 16:18:
Techie714 wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 16:12:
Max Payne 3 needs to move up on that list. So far it's one of the most engaging story driven games I've ever played. The graphics are simply incredible & the game play is a real blast.

I agree but I feel we're in the minority here. A lot of posters have complained about the story, cutscenes, and gameplay. I really enjoyed the story and setting, didn't mind the cutscenes too much and thought the gun play mechanics were great.

The game also scored some great reviews too.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 16:52 Chromius

Civ IV was the last Civ game for me. Civ 5 was dumbed down (simplified) way too much for the console masses just like many other titles in the last few years. It is good they improved it a little though. Have not played the expansion, but I just cant see how it competes with Civ IV Beyond the Sword after reading about it?

I think I need a second copy of Arma II so I can have a "just for fun" character in Dayz. Though I should just wait for Arma 3.

Sins of a solar Empire dam ai pirates get obnoxious.

I played the original Dues Ex and loved it, the the second one did not interest me much so I never purchased it, is Deus Ex Human Revolutions decent by PC standards? and is the second one worth playing?

Hmm I loved Max Payne the original when it came out think I had a pc that ran it maxed out and smooth but missed Max Payne 2, seems 3 is really good by many accounts making me consider playing through part 1 if i can get it to run and trying out 2 before 3? I replayed through both Mass Effect 1 and 2 before playing 3

Wow being single again after yrs of misery gives me so much time for gaming, lol. And as a bonus I am not trying to sort out and support someone elses disrespectful heathen children. (rant)

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 16:39 theyarecomingforyou

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 16:18 Sepharo

Techie714 wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 16:12:
Max Payne 3 needs to move up on that list. So far it's one of the most engaging story driven games I've ever played. The graphics are simply incredible & the game play is a real blast.

I agree but I feel we're in the minority here. A lot of posters have complained about the story, cutscenes, and gameplay. I really enjoyed the story and setting, didn't mind the cutscenes too much and thought the gun play mechanics were great.

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2012, 16:12 Techie714

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo