Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead State Kickstarter Funded

The Kickstarter Page for Dead State announces DoubleBear Productions' upcoming zombie survival RPG has hit its goal of $150,000 with 12 days left in the fundraiser. They describe what will be done with additional funds if people continue to back the project. Thanks nin. Here's the outline:

$180,000 - The Weapon Pack
$210k - New Areas (Military Base, Regional Airport, County Fair, Mall)
$240k - More Attack Animations, 2 New Allies, 2 New Shelter Upgrades.
$260k - More Character Creation Options, More Zombie Variety, Post-Release Game Modifiers
$300k - The City Area (High risk, high reward), 1 New Ally
$330k - Animals Added, Dog Allies Added
$360k - Mini-Expansion For Backers After Release (Adds military-grade weapons and zones of control)

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 24, 2012, 13:43 HorrorScope

Bill Borre wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 20:03:
It's interesting that they can break down their costs for particular parts of the game that specifically.

And they come out rounded so handily!

Still good to see old blood coming back.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 24, 2012, 12:19 Dmitri_M

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 16:17:
Turn based - bah. NO thanks, but I hope they have much success.
What?

26. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 24, 2012, 11:19 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 10:17:
Bet wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 19:49:
nin wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 19:01:
zombiefan wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 15:17:
I guess it was only a matter of time before the DLC/nickel-and-diming mentality hit Kickstarter too.

Yeah, who the fuck uses stretch goals?

Er, wait...

The entire post from the poster name down doesn't make sense. zombiefan bashing potentially good/great zombie game stretch goals adding more goodness/greatness. WTF?

Noticed that myslef. I found it quite ironic too.

DLC has been around since the early 90's when it was routine for game developers to add content to their games via free downloadable updates. It just wasn't called DLC back then. I can see having an issue with paid DLC, as a lot of it is of dubious value to say the least, but that's not even remotely close to what's being done here.

Alpha Protocol had the best implementation of choice & consequence of any RPG.

Yep. It was definitely criminally underrated in that regard, though perhaps understandable considering how undercooked the game was overall.
It had a few annoying bugs, like mouse sensitivity issues in the mini-games, but overall it was a great game. I think it deserved a lot better than it got in reviews. I played through it three times in a row when I first got it. Very few games manage to hold my attention that well. The dialog was pretty well-written too.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

25. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 24, 2012, 10:17 Prez

I guess it was only a matter of time before the DLC/nickel-and-diming mentality hit Kickstarter too.

Er, wait...

The entire post from the poster name down doesn't make sense. zombiefan bashing potentially good/great zombie game stretch goals adding more goodness/greatness. WTF?

Noticed that myslef. I found it quite ironic too.

DLC has been around since the early 90's when it was routine for game developers to add content to their games via free downloadable updates. It just wasn't called DLC back then. I can see having an issue with paid DLC, as a lot of it is of dubious value to say the least, but that's not even remotely close to what's being done here.

Alpha Protocol had the best implementation of choice & consequence of any RPG.

Yep. It was definitely criminally underrated in that regard, though perhaps understandable considering how undercooked the game was overall.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 24, 2012, 00:50 Jerykk

Yakubs wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 23:06:
Bet wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 20:35:
It's interesting that they can break down their costs for particular parts of the game that specifically.
I think Brian Mitsoda knows quite well how much his gaming industry colleagues are willing to work for on contract. I trust this game to launch more than any other kickstarter so far.

I don't. Mitsoda's wifey "somehow" managed to become a designer on this title. Her past work consists of writing terrible dialog for terrible RPGs.

Terrible RPGS? She's worked on NWN2, Mask of the Betrayer, Storm of the Zehir and Alpha Protocol. I wouldn't consider any of these to be terrible RPGs. Mask of the Betrayer is widely considered to be one of the best-written RPGs of the past decade and Alpha Protocol had the best implementation of choice & consequence of any RPG.

Now, if she had been the lead writer on Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Skyrim, that would be a genuine cause for concern.

23. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 23:06 Yakubs

Bet wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 20:35:
I think Brian Mitsoda knows quite well how much his gaming industry colleagues are willing to work for on contract. I trust this game to launch more than any other kickstarter so far.

I don't. Mitsoda's wifey "somehow" managed to become a designer on this title. Her past work consists of writing terrible dialog for terrible RPGs.

22. Re: Foolzatch@gmail.com Jun 23, 2012, 21:21 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 20:21:
Also, DoubleBear didn't put as much effort into updating the Kickstarter as other devs have done. There was only one video update.
Conversely, the two guys KS did a ton of updates, and made a prototype while the KS was going, including iterating it. They barely reached the funding at all during that last day.

It may be a factor, but its not THE factor in determining a KS's success/failure.
He's confused as to what stretch goals are. He's probably never done a KS in his life. To him, the stretch goals are like DLC in that he sees it as the project creator trying to greedily suck more money out of the backers. And who knows, there may be KS's out there that are like that, and have more than enough resources to get all the goals, I haven't noticed any if there are though.

Anyway, the idea of stretch goals (for people who are confused) is that if a project reaches its funding goal, its presumably going to be made. If the project creator properly estimated what they needed to make the game, then its probably going to be made. But the funding may not be enough for some extras. For instance, Funding at $50,000 might be enough to make a game, but not be enough left over to hire a good musician for some AAA standard game music. So he might say that if the project gets to $100k that he'd hire someone to do good music. Typically EVERYONE who backs the project to get the game will get that bonus. Its not DLC in that its an extra nickle and dime charge to get that bonus. He just needs more money than the minimum to get that feature into the game, since he can't afford it otherwise. The ideal way to get that extra funding is to encourage people to spread the word, get more people doing a kickstarter, not to try and force everyone into extra charges to the ones that already are backing it.

(note that the above is an ideal situation, I've seen variations)

Now for this specific project, they obviously feel that with just $150k, they can't afford adding all those extra areas (to pick one example goal) to the game. If they hit the $210k overfund goal (another term for stretch goal) then he feels they can afford to add it then.

He could just put all those into an expansion if the game sells well enough, but he's leaving it up to the community as a whole, as a crowdsource, what level of funding and extra features they want.

In a traditional publisher setup, the publisher would be giving them a set amount of funding and they would have to just outright kill most of these extra features if the funding wasn't enough.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2012, 21:34.

21. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 20:35 Bet

20. Re: Foolzatch@gmail.com Jun 23, 2012, 20:21 Jerykk

I hope funding ramps up considerably soon. It took pretty long just to reach $150k, which is pretty surprising when things like The Banner Saga ended up with over $700k. I wonder if it has to do with Kickstarter fatigue or zombie fatigue. Maybe a combination of both.

I think the general lack of coverage on gaming sites hurt it as well. Also, DoubleBear didn't put as much effort into updating the Kickstarter as other devs have done. There was only one video update.

19. Foolzatch@gmail.com Jun 23, 2012, 20:18 Rain

Reminds me of the tv show "The Colony" although hopefully much better.  

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

18. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 20:03 Bill Borre

17. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 19:49 Bet

Er, wait...

16. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 19:21 Acleacius

Gratz, Dead State!

Think I've played most if not all of Brian's games and love his work!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

15. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 19:02 Wowbagger_TIP

Liked the video for this one. Gonna have to read through some of the info on it to decide whether I want to buy in or not. So far I've only contributed to Shadowrun, Wasteland and Grim Dawn.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

14. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 19:01 nin

Er, wait...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 19:00 effbee

I chipped in $30 for the two copies. Looks like old Xcom with zombies.  

12. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 18:59 space captain

dog allies needs to be at like 240 or something  
Go forth, and kill!

11. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 18:52 jimnms

I went in for $15, but I may bump it up to $30 now that it's funded and seeing the push reward list. I hope they get to at least $210k, but $300k would be awesome. This game and Wasteland 2 are on my most anticipated list.  

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 18:11 Chromius

Glad this made it, looking forward to Xcom, Wasteland 2 and Dead State.  

9. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 18:09 Julio

I went in on Wasteland 2, and I'll be going in on this one as well. Screw the major publishers, turn based is where its at!  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo