Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Consolidation

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 25, 2012, 09:12 Verno

They do look stunning for the platform the games are made for, and those higher resolutions don't really mean anything when you're doing your gaming on a TV anyway.

Err, have you tried it yourself? I pipe out my PC to my HDTV and sit about 8 feet away but it still makes a bloody massive difference in terms of quality. I'm not talking about small subtle confirmation bias type difference, I mean its a whole other level. Just the AA alone is a godsend, it's part of the reason I went with this whole setup in the first place.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 24, 2012, 15:55 Crustacean Soup

PropheT wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 12:10:
They do look stunning for the platform the games are made for, and those higher resolutions don't really mean anything when you're doing your gaming on a TV anyway.

Unless you have a little 720p TV, or you're sitting a few miles away from your screen, "those higher resolutions" definitely mean something. I play some PC games on the couch with a controller, and I have a 360 connected to the same TV; on multiplatform games there's no competition at all.

11. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 24, 2012, 12:10 PropheT

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 15:39:
So a PlayStation fansite has an article about how the PS3 has the better games? Quelle surprise!

But seriously, they talk about how the current consoles are in their twilight years and yet go on about how the new PS3 exclusives look "stunning". There's nothing "stunning" about games with low resolution textures running at sub-720p resolutions. PC games run at resolutions 4x that for single monitors and 7x that in multi-monitor configs, as well as dramatically higher texture quality, rendering detail and polygon count (tessellation).

Of course PC games look better, but it's kind of beside the point. Those games they're talking about do look great, and despite it being a PS3 fansite...they're actually right in the article. The Last of Us and Beyond are interesting and different titles (the kind of which we never really see as PC exclusives anymore, incidentally) compared to the biggest upcoming 360 titles being just more of the same catered to the shooter crowd.

You can't knock a PS3 for being a PS3 or a 360 for the same when they're still damn good for what they are. It's like complaining about a '68 Mustang because it doesn't have the features of a 2012.

10. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 24, 2012, 12:08 shinchan0s

Kobalt wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 07:08:
shinchan0s wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 06:12:
I liked the original the best (even with the bad translation). EP and IS were okay too. You know, before the series went mainstream and gone full anime. Don't mind me I'm just jaded as hell. It's probably the childhood nostalgia.

You describing any of the persona series full on anime(you cant be talking about the visuals right? I mean even the orginals had anime visuals) confuses me. I mean, One of the things I constantly hear and agree with about the last 2 is they were not like a anime whatsoever. They had damn good writing and if wouldn't be weird at all of the next persona got rid of the anime visuals.

Ok, now I'm confused. The first two had a different lead art designer from the rest of the series. Forgot his name, but he does all the other Megami Tensei games. His art style is kind of hard to describe, but "Japanese gothic pop with Tim Burton thrown in" might come close. They're not anime inspired at all apart from the setting (they're students). How are the later games not like anime? They added a robot girl for example. It's totally valid to say that the later games are more anime-like visually.

I'm not going to argue "what's anime?" because I stopped watching that crap after college, but it's kind of hard for any of the games to veer away from anime conventions when they take place in a Japanese High school. Saying the later games went full anime was kind of throwaway line sorry. The newer games are more mainstream though (which is why they're crushing successes). I just thought the earlier games were darker and had more unique gameplay. The earlier games seemed "more adult" (EP's characters were adults) and the combat system was more tactical. They stream-lined the later games, added waaaay more cutscenes and added stuff like dating.

9. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 24, 2012, 07:08 Kobalt

shinchan0s wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 06:12:
I liked the original the best (even with the bad translation). EP and IS were okay too. You know, before the series went mainstream and gone full anime. Don't mind me I'm just jaded as hell. It's probably the childhood nostalgia.

You describing any of the persona series full on anime(you cant be talking about the visuals right? I mean even the orginals had anime visuals) confuses me. I mean, One of the things I constantly hear and agree with about the last 2 is they were not like a anime whatsoever. They had damn good writing and if wouldn't be weird at all of the next persona got rid of the anime visuals.

8. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 24, 2012, 06:12 shinchan0s

Kobalt wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 23:18:
shinchan0s wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 17:53:
Boy, the Persona series sure has gone to shit.

Based on what? Persona 4 that was perhaps the best in the series? Or the fighting game by the guilty gear and blazblue series?

7. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 24, 2012, 00:43 bhcompy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 15:39:
So a PlayStation fansite has an article about how the PS3 has the better games? Quelle surprise!

But seriously, they talk about how the current consoles are in their twilight years and yet go on about how the new PS3 exclusives look "stunning". There's nothing "stunning" about games with low resolution textures running at sub-720p resolutions. PC games run at resolutions 4x that for single monitors and 7x that in multi-monitor configs, as well as dramatically higher texture quality, rendering detail and polygon count (tessellation).

Meh, resolution isn' the only component of something that looks "stunning". God of War 2 looked stunning and came out for PS2 after the PS3 was already released

6. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 23, 2012, 23:18 Kobalt

shinchan0s wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 17:53:

Based on what? Persona 4 that was perhaps the best in the series? Or the fighting game by the guilty gear and blazblue series?

5. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 23, 2012, 20:34 wtf_man

nin wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 19:02:
Sony looks set to send PS3 off in style as Xbox 360 fizzles out.

Really? Why not just have a guest column from a Sony rep?

Well... the site of the article is "Playstation Universe"... so I'd expect there to be bias.

I get what he's saying though... the last couple of "exclusives" for these near end of life devices, are 2 Sequels vs. new IP.

It matters little to me, since I don't have a console and don't intend on ever getting one... unless the next gen units become extreme universal entertainment systems... not just gaming... AND I CAN USE A FUCKING KEYBOARD AND MOUSE FOR ALL GAMES!

Fuck Wii-mote, Fuck PS Move, Fuck Kinect, Fuck typical Controllers, and Fuck Wii-U pad.

4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 23, 2012, 19:02 nin

Sony looks set to send PS3 off in style as Xbox 360 fizzles out.

Really? Why not just have a guest column from a Sony rep?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 23, 2012, 17:53 shinchan0s

2. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 23, 2012, 16:44 Ozmodan

All the consoles are very dated. Surprise that they did not quote the Sony Exec saying how their PS3 is just as good as anything else out there and that they are waiting for the next jump in technology. Like a PC does not exist.

I have a console, but I play all the real games on a PC, the console is for the kiddie games anymore.

1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 23, 2012, 15:39 theyarecomingforyou

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo