Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Tech Bits

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 25, 2012, 00:04 Ant

Orogogus wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 17:11:
I remember about a year ago being extremely put off by the fact that the LibreOffice website couldn't be bothered to put up a short explanation of how it was better or even different from OpenOffice, other than to state that it was a fork in the development path or something. As a consumer I want to know which product suits my needs better, and I had no luck figuring it out.
No kidding. Try reviews like this one: http://www.vikitech.com/9366/libreoffice-detailed-review ...

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 24, 2012, 17:11 Orogogus

I remember about a year ago being extremely put off by the fact that the LibreOffice website couldn't be bothered to put up a short explanation of how it was better or even different from OpenOffice, other than to state that it was a fork in the development path or something. As a consumer I want to know which product suits my needs better, and I had no luck figuring it out.  

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 24, 2012, 13:22 Axis

Maybe it's because I've used and advocated Open Source for years, but I have the complete opposite results - my open source implementations are smooth, efficient, and long-term solid with very few hiccups -- regardless of how casual or hardcore my user's needs are.

The only thing I gain using most paid products is a hole in my customers pocket and support I don't want or need.

Yours truly,

Axis

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 24, 2012, 01:56 mag

I run open source software whenever possible, including Linux on my main work machine, Firefox on all of my computers, and essentially every non-game program I run. But. OpenOffice is absolutely terrible on my computer. Breaks formatting, produces terrible-looking pdfs, is incredibly slow, and does not gracefully recover whenever I put my computer to sleep.

MS Office has many of the same problems--its pdf exporter often breaks, formatting changes just from moving from one install to another, and it is quite possibly the worst eps-importer I've ever used--but it at least doesn't try to crash the computer when I resume from sleep. Sooo it tends to win.

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 24, 2012, 01:46 Tom

Hate it with every ounce of my being. I've been using Firefox since it was called Phoenix.

*sigh*

I don't have anything against open source software in general. I use a lot of it. Firefox, 7-Zip, Blender, TortoiseSVN, and so on. Sometimes the best solution for a particular type of software is an open source project. Sometimes not. Office suites just seem to be one of those areas where open source consistently falls flat, at least to anyone with a discerning eye for quality and non-trivial needs.

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2012, 02:00.

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 23, 2012, 23:50 Axis

Just one question for you Tom... Internet Explorer?

Yours truly,

Axis

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 23, 2012, 22:26 Tom

You know what they say about open source ... it's free, if your time is worth nothing. Just as true with office suites as it is with operating systems. You can make YOUR excuses but, in the real world, it's may the best software win. And right now that's still Office.  

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 23, 2012, 18:06 Axis

Anyone who would pay for MS office is a nub, period. I have OO deployed in several organizations ranging from small office to close over 100 users.

If you know what you are doing, you'll not only save the company many thousands of dollars, but you'll help break the mold off so many nub managers who fear open source with their parroting 'x doesn't work right' dribble.

It's simply what people are used to, and they build thousands of excuses around it.

Yours truly,

Axis

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 23, 2012, 17:56 DG

Yeah Libre Office is more than adequate for my home needs. However if I take work home it doesn't cut it, it has to be MS Office. For example the formatting in Word documents always gets screwed up (I don't care which software is at fault, work uses Office).

But I'm not paying 80. I'd maybe get it for 30.

I have a hard time imagining just about anyone paying 80 for Office at home. Maybe small biz users who'll get it as a tax deduction, though I suspect most of them would just pirate or get Libre Office.

(and no that doesn't mean I pirate fwiw, I take a laptop)

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 23, 2012, 16:49 Ozmodan

Microsoft needs to cut it's office low end price. With products out there like LibreOffice why buy an expensive product like Microsoft Office?  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo