Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday

The BioWare Blog announces the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be released on Tuesday as free DLC for all owners of the action/RPG sequel, except most PS3 players, who will have to wait until July 4th:

The Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut is a downloadable content pack that will expand upon the events at the end of Mass Effect 3. Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Extended Cut will include deeper insight to Commander Shepard’s journey based on player choices during the war against the Reapers. The Extended Cut will be available to download at no additional charge for Mass Effect 3 game owners starting on June 26 for PC and Xbox 360 customers worldwide. Playstation 3 customers in North America will be able to download the Extended Cut DLC on June 26 and the rest of the world on July 4.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 22:26 NegaDeath

Enahs wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 18:02:
How is it far off? It is spot on.

etc etc

The speed you travel in the game is irrelevant as it is a gameplay consideration. Is it logical to assume that the time it takes to land a shuttle from orbit to the ground is a few seconds as well? It's just how like how you only take 2 people with you on every mission, or why you have to buy your own equipment, or why a pistol can penetrate armor in one shot in a cutscene. If FTL really was that fast then they wouldn't be so dependant on the relays. Remember from ME1 that the Reaper's greatest advantage was locking out the relay network to all non-reapers with the citadel, cutting off planets from each other. If FTL was an adequate substitute that would not be as devastating a blow as the Protheans found it to be. The whole point behind the conduit was to prevent that from happening to the next cycle to give them a chance.

fromm the Mass Effect wiki:
"The exact FTL speeds at which starships of the modern galaxy travel are unknown. It is noted, however, that Reapers are believed to be capable of traveling nearly 30 light-years within a 24-hour period, and that this rate is roughly twice what Citadel starships are capable of traveling."

So for citadel ships that makes it roughly:

15 light years per day
0.06 light years per hour
0.001 per minute
0.0001 per second

So that is a difference from your estimate by a factor of 10000.

This doesn't take into account the need to refuel, the areas of unexplored space that house unknown dangers and contain no refueling stations, that you have to take the long route around the deadly galactic core, and that you have to continually discharge the drive core in a planets gravity well or you'll kill the crew.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 21:14 Creston

Enahs wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 11:01:
This is what I said a while back about the ME3 ending, and I stick to it:
Why Enahs thinks you are all to simple minded to actually get the ending....! :)

You may want to go and read the Mass Effect codex before you start calling people crazy to say the Turians and Quarians are stranded in the Sol system. There is no one lightyear = one second speed. From the wiki (and from the codex)

With a mass effect drive, roughly a dozen light-years can be traversed in the course of a day's cruise.

Rannoch is on the other side of the galaxy compared to Earth. Ergo, Latin, it's roughly 80 - 90.000 lightyears away. So, that's a svelte 20 years of constant FTL to get home.

But of course, they can't USE Mass Effect's FTL to travel between the stars, really, because they have to discharge their drives every so often, and where are they going to do that in the empty spaces between the Milky Way's arms?

Any way, the EC will probably say that THIS time, huzzah and space magic, the Gates did NOT explode to where they wiped out every solar system they were in, and huzzah, space magic, all the Reapers left behind mass effect cores that can be used to start the gates back up. (they actually said something to that effect on twitter.)

As for the star kid, I never had an issue with him showing up as that fucking kid, it's obviously just an interpretation for Shepard. What bugged me is that

A) He shows up 3 minutes before the end.
B) He yammers a whole bunch of bullshit that's plainly bullshit and already PROVEN to be not true.
C) Shepard stands there like a mute 'tardbilly and never fucking says anything beyond a limp "We don't want to be saved by you! Waaaah I want blankie!"

And as for the kid, why is my Renegade shep, who has blatantly killed people, worried about the death of one child on Earth? To the extent that he haunts her fucking dreams? It's piss-poor storytelling of the highest order.

Sadly, it's not going away. Nothing is changing, they're just "clarifying" what they meant. Eh, we'll see what happens.

Creston

35. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 18:20 Crustacean Soup

In any case, I'm doing my second playthrough with this DLC. I forgot that I hadn't put in my code for the Eden Prime DLC either, so I've got even more newness to check out the second time through.  

34. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 18:11 Crustacean Soup

---
(spoiler warning)
---

Enahs wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 12:02:
There aren't any continuity errors though, that is the thing. And all the tearing down videos and post have had actual technical flaws, or missed the subtle information in the game.

But again, it is still ok if "you" do not like the ending, despite being wrong about not actually knowing what is going on. It is still an opinion.

The very justification for the Reapers is that synthetic life is inherently untrustworthy and murderous. So who better to entrust with saving the essence of whole races than... synthetic life?

The justification for ending the cycles is that the Crucible changes everything. The Crucible that the Catalyst apparently has complete control over and could simply render useless.

The justification for giving the Options to Shepard is... well, it's not actually provided. The Catalyst is all mysterious and enigmatic (unsatisfying in an ending). As is the justification for providing those specific options, including one that simply undoes all of the Catalyst's work.

And storytelling-wise, in addition to what he said, the Space Magic in the Synthesis ending is really out-of-place given the ridiculous strides the rest of the series took to overexplain and rationalize all of the science fiction elements.

Never mind some of the silly "continuity" errors that are brought up in some videos and explanations (especially "indoctrination theory"), pointing out that those make no sense and then using that to explain that there are no problems at all in ME3's ending is silly.

33. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 18:02 Enahs

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 17:50:

But if you want to talk technical your estimation of the speed of FTL in the mass effect universe is incredibly far off.

How is it far off? It is spot on.

Average stellar distance in Milkyway Galaxy = 3.5 light years.
It takes your ship less then 2 seconds to get from one star system to another in the game (I timed it). So, lets be fair and even say it takes you 3.5 seconds (over estimation).

That means you are traveling 1 light year per second.
The Milkyway galaxy is 100,000 light years in diameter approximately. At a speed of 1 light year per second:
100,000 light years / 1 light year per second = 100,000 seconds.
100,000 seconds / 60 seconds per minute / 60 minutes per hour = 27.77 hours.

Again, that is over estimation of the time. And again, even if I was off by a factor of 10, 277.7 hours is only 11.58 days. No very long.
Even if I am off by a factor of 100, 115.8 days, not very long.
Even if I am off by a factor of 1000, 1158 days; pretty damn short amount of time to get all the way across the galaxy to be honest.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

32. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 17:50 NegaDeath

Enahs wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 14:34:
No. I clearly said your opinion was valid. But the technical reasons for trying to justify your opinion is what I said were invalid, not your overall opinion. Very big difference.

But he didn't give technical reasons for justifying his opinion. Rather he talked about proper storytelling technique. In that sense he's right.

But if you want to talk technical your estimation of the speed of FTL in the mass effect universe is incredibly far off.

31. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Jun 23, 2012, 16:28 Dades

yonder wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 13:21:
I'm dying to know if this happened before or after Hudson's BS lies about the ending. My money is on after. Based on decades of watching EA (I'm old enough to remember when they were one of the most respectable publishers out there... I also remember when Activision was), my guess is that Hudson told those lies back in January, saw that the ending wasn't done, told EA "hey, we need more time", EA said "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!", Hudson said "oh crap!", went to the developers and said "okay, do this, we don't have a choice", and gave us what we have now.

Thanks, that was exactly the one I was thinking of. There are several notable videos that go into a point by point dissection of the problems and if you go watch them many relate to the sections hes referring to as being written by only two of the team members. EA ended up giving them extra time to work on the game but they only had an 18 month dev cycle which was never realistic in the first place.

I don't expect this to really fix all of the problems but hopefully it can address the painfully obvious continuity and editing problems that were left in.

30. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 14:34 Enahs

Dades wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 12:12:
"My opinion can't be wrong because its my opinion but you guys are wrong because only I understand the subtle genius at work here". Ok, have a good weekend then.

No. I clearly said your opinion was valid. But the technical reasons for trying to justify your opinion is what I said were invalid, not your overall opinion. Very big difference.

- W. C. Fields

29. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Jun 23, 2012, 13:21 yonder

Flatline wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 11:04:
Dades wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 10:46:
NKD wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 06:08:
I don't expect them to retcon their entire story out. They are "artists" after all, and part of that is expressing yourself. I'd be disappointed if they were so jaded that their own creative juices meant nothing. Even though I didn't really dig the ending, I respect that they had their own reasoning for doing it that way

There was a reddit post by one of the writers that later got deleted (presumably so he could keep his job) where he said that the producer and one other guy basically came up with the ending on their own and told the team to implement it without any input or feedback. They had to go back and retroactively insert starkid into the beginning so that any part of it could make sense. Yes its a creation by Bioware and it has some artistic value but if look at the quality of the series then I suspect some idiot dreamed this up and overruled the others.

I suspect at this point that's true because most of the writing for ME3 is f*cking superb. There's a few crap moments but otherwise it's actually the strongest game to date right up until the end, which takes a left turn towards "BWHA????"

the article

I'm dying to know if this happened before or after Hudson's BS lies about the ending. My money is on after. Based on decades of watching EA (I'm old enough to remember when they were one of the most respectable publishers out there... I also remember when Activision was), my guess is that Hudson told those lies back in January, saw that the ending wasn't done, told EA "hey, we need more time", EA said "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!", Hudson said "oh crap!", went to the developers and said "okay, do this, we don't have a choice", and gave us what we have now.

The game really only required about 3 or 4 months to be actually finished. And let's face it, it wasn't a stable release. I'm not the only one who had choppy-ass cutscenes, invisible people during dialogues, and 30-second door-openings on the Normandy. This was a rush job, without and ounce of a doubt.

28. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 13:00 Rattlehead

Woo, this Tuesday is looking sweeeeeeeeeeet. First the Iron Maiden concert and new Mass Effect 3 ending  

27. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 12:12 Dades

"My opinion can't be wrong because its my opinion but you guys are wrong because only I understand the subtle genius at work here". Ok, have a good weekend then.  

26. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 12:02 Enahs

Dades wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 11:59:
Opinions can be wrong. Your opinion fails to take into account basic continuity errors in the ending, the lack of proper exposition and introduction for NPCs that appear in the third game and logical flaws in the plot itself. You just seem fixated on whether or not they allowed sufficient choice between the series themes (Paragon, Renegade, Neutral) when that is far from the only problem with the ending. No one is mad because they didn't tell a good story, it's a series of interconnected problems.

The ending has been torn down in several dozen videos and posts already so I don't feel the need to type up 1000 words doing it. If you enjoyed well great, you're one of the few, be satisfied.

There aren't any continuity errors though, that is the thing. And all the tearing down videos and post have had actual technical flaws, or missed the subtle information in the game.

But again, it is still ok if "you" do not like the ending, despite being wrong about not actually knowing what is going on. It is still an opinion.

- W. C. Fields

25. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 11:59 Dades

Opinions can be wrong. Your opinion fails to take into account basic continuity errors in the ending, the lack of proper exposition and introduction for NPCs that appear in the third game and logical flaws in the plot itself. You just seem fixated on whether or not they allowed sufficient choice between the series themes (Paragon, Renegade, Neutral) when that is far from the only problem with the ending. No one is mad because they didn't tell a good story, it's a series of interconnected problems.

The ending has been torn down in several dozen videos and posts already so I don't feel the need to type up 1000 words doing it. If you enjoyed it well great, you're one of the few it would seem so be satisfied.

24. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 11:15 Enahs

Flatline wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 11:08:
Why Enahs thinks you are all to simple minded to actually get the ending....! :)

Too bad you're wrong. The ending was shit writing. It'd fail a freshman college composition course. It'd probably fail a high school composition course.

Except the very first thing I said was it was just opinions and no right or wrong Just like how I actually like to eat broccoli, and you might not, does not make you or me wrong :).

- W. C. Fields

23. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 11:08 Flatline

Too bad you're wrong. The ending was shit writing. It'd fail a freshman college composition course. It'd probably fail a high school composition course.

22. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 11:04 Flatline

Dades wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 10:46:
I don't expect them to retcon their entire story out. They are "artists" after all, and part of that is expressing yourself. I'd be disappointed if they were so jaded that their own creative juices meant nothing. Even though I didn't really dig the ending, I respect that they had their own reasoning for doing it that way

There was a reddit post by one of the writers that later got deleted (presumably so he could keep his job) where he said that the producer and one other guy basically came up with the ending on their own and told the team to implement it without any input or feedback. They had to go back and retroactively insert starkid into the beginning so that any part of it could make sense. Yes its a creation by Bioware and it has some artistic value but if look at the quality of the series then I suspect some idiot dreamed this up and overruled the others.

I suspect at this point that's true because most of the writing for ME3 is f*cking superb. There's a few crap moments but otherwise it's actually the strongest game to date right up until the end, which takes a left turn towards "BWHA????"

21. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 11:01 Enahs

- W. C. Fields

20. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 10:58 Eirikrautha

I appreciate that they are throwing us a bone, but at the end of the day I'm not ready to concede that games are a purely financial endeavor where the only concern is pleasing the customers so you can meet the bottom line.

Sometimes you have to tell your fans "Tough luck, fuckin deal with it!", just like your fans have to sometimes tell you "No thanks, not buying your shit anymore."

Artistic choices?!? Please! That's like commenting on the "artistic choices" made by a kindergartener when he colors in a faux Mona Lisa: "Wow, what vision! The choice of mauve for the hair shows a clear rejection of dialectical realism!"

Mass Effect is a collection of some of the most well-worn tropes that science fiction has ever produced. The only way it could get more hackneyed would be to have a galaxy-wide "force" that Shepard must learn to use in order to bring balance back to the universe...

19. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 10:46 Dades

18. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 08:03 space captain

Dades wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 01:16:
Starchild and the color coded endings were an embarrassing effort even

aint nothing but a party yall

Go forth, and kill!

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo