Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change

Two aspects of the up to 72-hour waiting period digitally purchased versions of Diablo III now undergo before full functionality are unintended, Blizzard tells Kotaku, and will be addressed "as soon as possible." The delay (which they say can be as short as one day) is to allow them to process credit card information before allowing unverified accounts the ability to buy and sell items and access areas of the game where commerce is conducted. But it is not intended to impede player's progress as it currently does. Here's word:

However, as an unintended consequence of these security measures, players who purchase the game digitally after patch 1.0.3 are temporarily being capped at level 13 and not able to proceed beyond Act I. We are working to correct this as soon as possible and will provide another update when we have more details to share.

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 23, 2012, 19:19 Wowbagger_TIP

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 19:05:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 14:21:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 14:15:
Luke wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 13:19:
talk to kotaku but not the d3 forum ok ok

So many of your posts are like fun little riddles. I'm thinking "what is he trying to convey here" with your short little sentences with words that don't quite fit together.

Seems pretty obvious. He's annoyed that they will talk to Kotaku, but not answer these questions in the D3 forums where actual D3 players are asking them.

Ahh - except they have a giant sticky in the forums about this saying what looks like the same thing as Kotaku has. ok ok.

Never said he was right. Just that his post wasn't difficult to understand. I haven't been to the D3 forums, so I don't know specifically if there are things that Blizzard isn't answering there.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 23, 2012, 16:43 Luke

Flatline wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 16:38:
Dev wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 08:33:
MisterBenn wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 00:43:
and how much will it detract from the monetisation of the next product.
I think you give them too much long term credit.

Well to be fair, their next product is, in all likelihood, a year or so out if you don't count the already shark-jumping Kung Fu Panda expansion for WoW. Considering that the blizzard fanbase has a memory span of a goldfish, there's no need to see what the impact of this game is going to be on the next. The same people bitching will be the same people pre-ordering with the next game.

PS: I called the farming racket shit, even when people on this board told me that it was impossible this time around.

you think...hmmm..mkay

49. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 23, 2012, 16:38 Flatline

Dev wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 08:33:

Well to be fair, their next product is, in all likelihood, a year or so out if you don't count the already shark-jumping Kung Fu Panda expansion for WoW. Considering that the blizzard fanbase has a memory span of a goldfish, there's no need to see what the impact of this game is going to be on the next. The same people bitching will be the same people pre-ordering with the next game.

PS: I called the farming racket shit, even when people on this board told me that it was impossible this time around.

48. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 23, 2012, 16:33 Flatline

Prez wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 10:51:
Ñone of this sounds like your typical big corporation arrogance to me. "Headless chickens" was mentioned earlier and all of Blizzard's behavior recently smacks of this exact thing. Seemingly gone is the Blizzard swagger and confidence of the earlier years, replaced by what looks more and more like anti-consumer policies, reactionary panic moves and a distinct lack of competence. It all adds up to the fact that Blizzard today is not the Blizzard we knew in the Warcraft/Starcraft days. At the risk of using a tired cliche, this is not the Blizzard you are looking for. Blizzard and Bioware both - how damn discouraging is that.

Well, this isn't their prime team, or even in California, for one. So it sounds more like Blizzard said to Bliz North "Just go do whatever the fuck you want to do. Revenues are down 10% in WoW, we expect you to make that up."

Then Blizzard went and snorted coke off of strippers' asses or something for 10 years and BN just did their thing.

Then Blizzard looked up from their coke-addled stupor, rubbing their gums, and said "customer support? Shit you'd think we'd have that by now, fire half of them..." and went off to do another line.

47. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 23, 2012, 10:51 Prez

Ñone of this sounds like your typical big corporation arrogance to me. "Headless chickens" was mentioned earlier and all of Blizzard's behavior recently smacks of this exact thing. Seemingly gone is the Blizzard swagger and confidence of the earlier years, replaced by what looks more and more like anti-consumer policies, reactionary panic moves and a distinct lack of competence. It all adds up to the fact that Blizzard today is not the Blizzard we knew in the Warcraft/Starcraft days. At the risk of using a tired cliche, this is not the Blizzard you are looking for. Blizzard and Bioware both - how damn discouraging is that.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

46. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 23, 2012, 10:35 Axis

eunichron wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 19:15:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 17:30:
What's PoE?

It's a F2P Diablo 2 ripoff with no imagination. The skill "tree" (it's more of a web) is kind of cool though, if not convoluted. By Diablo 2 ripoff I mean if you enjoyed doing Pindle runs ad nauseam in LoD, you'll love PoE. Otherwise I'd say pass it and go for TL2 or Grim Dawn.

Someone obviously hasn't played PoE (or TL2 if you think this Fate with mods game has imagination).

Check it out yourself - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/

Yours truly,

Axis

45. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 23, 2012, 09:40 Alamar

eunichron wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 21:52:
Well, just found my first legendary since the patch (and 3rd overall; it was a Won Khim Lau fist weapon btw). I asked my AH monkey friend what he thought it was worth. He informed me that it was about 150% worthless.

What level and region? : )

-Alamar

44. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 23, 2012, 09:38 MisterBenn

Perhaps that is true. I suspect though their research tells them that those well informed, principled and determined enough to actually say no next time are in the extreme minority and that the millions will still buy the next big thing of theirs, either because they feel it's worth it despite these annoyances or to be a part of the next big thing. They are probably surprised by how messy this one has become but I don't think they'll conclude that they are jeapardising their immediate future. As long as they are not forced to close the RMAH completely, the money will flow in for years and the people who successfully added this new revenue stream will be showered in cars and money!  

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

43. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 23, 2012, 08:33 Dev

42. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 23, 2012, 05:19 MadBoris

Blizzard has had a hold on weak minded for years, the easy to control are easy to control, that's their demographic.  

41. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 23, 2012, 00:43 MisterBenn

All the vitriolic noise, bad headlines and customer dissatisfaction in the world are short term and acceptable in the eyes of Blizzard. These days the only variables that they track are how much can you push the monetisation of this product, and how much will it detract from the monetisation of the next product. This was a record breaking release and if Diablo 4 were to be released in say 7 years time, millions will buy that too. There is literally no chance that inside Blizzard they are talking about this as a failure. They have chosen to fend off the backlash on a day by day basis and push on with the plan, and given that their aim is to maximise revenue, they are doing the correct thing and will succeed!

Having said that, this wriggling is quite fun to watch from the sidelines, it's a bit like a slow motion car crash!

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

40. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 22, 2012, 22:33 Asmodai

Blizz have no credibility to say this is unintended, particularly after their language change.

The fact that their RMAH has attracted farmers like a bloated corpse attracts vultures and their holy cow full time online system has done nothing to arrest the problem (in fact, probably exacerbated it), combined with their constant ham fisted attempts to fix the system (which just punishes paying customers) leaves no doubt in my mind that this was planned and they were hoping for the same docile 'roll me over and rape me' reaction from their fanbois.

Instead, even the most ardent defenders are now sitting up and saying 'yeah, that's kind of fucked up'... Time to hit the skids, call it unintended and see if the sheople buy it...

Best $89 bucks I never spent. (since us Aus customers get gouged on the price...)

39. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 22, 2012, 21:52 eunichron

Well, just found my first legendary since the patch (and 3rd overall; it was a Won Khim Lau fist weapon btw). I asked my AH monkey friend what he thought it was worth. He informed me that it was about 150% worthless.  

38. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 22, 2012, 20:46 Frags4Fun

Watching these companies make boneheaded maneuvers is great entertainment, it's free, and happens so often! The best part is trying to predict how fast they will backpedal and say it was an accident or was unintended or they hang some poor kid out to dry as the scapegoat. You can't write better material than this.  

37. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 22, 2012, 20:36 Wallshadows

I just went ahead and fired up a Diablo 2 ladder character.

I keep getting disconnections though and have a hard time joining a lot of games...

36. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 22, 2012, 19:21 Doomie_77

"Aren't you thankful?"

35. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 22, 2012, 19:15 eunichron

What's PoE?

It's a F2P Diablo 2 ripoff with no imagination. The skill "tree" (it's more of a web) is kind of cool though, if not convoluted. By Diablo 2 ripoff I mean if you enjoyed doing Pindle runs ad nauseam in LoD, you'll love PoE. Otherwise I'd say pass it and go for TL2 or Grim Dawn.

34. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 22, 2012, 19:05 AngelicPenguin

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 14:21:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 14:15:
Luke wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 13:19:
talk to kotaku but not the d3 forum ok ok

So many of your posts are like fun little riddles. I'm thinking "what is he trying to convey here" with your short little sentences with words that don't quite fit together.

Seems pretty obvious. He's annoyed that they will talk to Kotaku, but not answer these questions in the D3 forums where actual D3 players are asking them.

Ahh - except they have a giant sticky in the forums about this saying what looks like the same thing as Kotaku has. ok ok.

33. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 22, 2012, 18:52 Vex

Dev wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 17:53:
Unfortunately he already bought his copy last Saturday. And you know how Blizzard is about refunds...

We had already agreed to play TL2 together so I was surprised yesterday when he asked me to go out and get D3.
Actually, blizzard has been strangly good about refunding d3 purchases within 30 days.

Except in korea

Second this. I ended up getting a refund 31 days after purchase. Definitely put a ticket in for a refund, you have nothing to lose.

32. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 22, 2012, 17:53 Dev

Unfortunately he already bought his copy last Saturday. And you know how Blizzard is about refunds...

We had already agreed to play TL2 together so I was surprised yesterday when he asked me to go out and get D3.
Actually, blizzard has been strangly good about refunding d3 purchases within 30 days.

Except in korea

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo