Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise

Former baseball star Curt Schilling was interviewed this morning on the Dennis & Callahan sports radio show on WEEI in Boston in the first such appearance since the demise of 38 Studios, the developer he founded. Boston.com quotes some of the conversation where Schilling spoke of investing all of his personal assets into the company while never a penny back out. He also says his former employees "have every right to be upset" as they were "blindsided" by the studio's closure after he promised a month or two of advance warning, admitting he "bombed on that one in epic fashion." He also describes the last ditch effort to save the company that failed because Rhode Island refused to go along with the plan, and addresses accusations that his acceptance of tax credits and loan guarantees from the state were hypocritical in light of his outspoken conservative viewpoints: "I don't know how that correlates to this. I donít have any problem with government helping entrepreneurs and businesses." Thanks JJ.

View
105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

25. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 18:04 Beelzebud

Sums up conservative attitude in this country. Government assistance for the poor = horrible waste. Government assistance for his game company = great.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 18:01 Funkinator

Look, tired talking points can be dished somewhere else.

Berkshire Hathaway - They are being audited. Most major companies in America is or will be under audit. Berkshire IRS

GM - they couldn't get private financing and that is why the government loaned them the money. GM

The increase in debt is because of the economic crash. Two ways a debt increases. More spending or Less Revenue. The economy tanked and the tax revenues that were coming from the real estate market evaporated revealing the cost of 2 wars, new medicare spending and tax cuts. Tax

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 14:35:
Cutter wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 13:53:
Typical conservative hypocrite. Talks a good game about personal responsibility but when it comes down to it it's as always, 'do as I say, not as I do'. I love how these clowns are screaming about less government and picking oneself up by ones bootstraps untill the moment they get to stick their nose into the public trough and have that same government bail their asses out - meanwhile making certain the real working people remain screwed over. There are only two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid.

Hold on a second. What most conservatives, at least fiscal conservatives complain about is rewarding those that refuse to work when they're capable of it.

I don't think anyone is against helping out small businesses (not that 38 Studios really fits into that category) or having a safety net for veterans or people who are truly disabled that can't work.

You're using the usual liberal stereotype that only Republicans are rich. Or only Republicans get corporate lobbying etc. Which is total bs. Oprah's pretty rich, Bill Cosby and most of liberal hollywood are pretty rich, Obama's certainly not a poor man. Warren Buffet, who's company owes billions in back taxes is a liberal last I checked.

Obama didn't need to bail GM out with tax payer money, they could and SHOULD have filed for bankruptcy and refinanced/restructured themselves. GM still owes the taxpayers millions, and guess what we'll never see it. The only entity that won out in that deal was the auto workers union, surprise surprise. Same thing with Crysler, the kicker there? Crysler is now owned by a European car maker.

The man added 5 trillion to the debt in 3 and half years. Has yet to pass a single budget since coming into office, has wasted tons on a failed stimulus, failed green energy companies, all on the tax payer's dime.

This whole liberal myth that only republican's or big "republican" companies get bailouts is exactly that, a myth.

No doubt Schilling didn't know wtf he was doing and had the wrong people handling 38 studio's finances, however, if I'm an employee of a company that says they're going to "take care of" selling my house, I would certainly be more involved in the process than just blindly trusting they did so or were making on time payments.

23. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 17:17 Overon

It's okay to receive government financial help, as long as it's for you and not someone else. Hypocrite.  

22. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 17:11 jdreyer

Typical conservative hypocrite. Talks a good game about personal responsibility but when it comes down to it it's as always, 'do as I say, not as I do'. I love how these clowns are screaming about less government and picking oneself up by ones bootstraps untill the moment they get to stick their nose into the public trough and have that same government bail their asses out - meanwhile making certain the real working people remain screwed over. There are only two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid.

There's an acronym for that: IOKIYAR. It means, "It's okay if you are Republican"

Republicans always talk about fiscal responsibility and smaller government, but it's always when they're in power that debt rises the most and when they're not that it falls. And this poll points somewhat to the reason why: Democrats will cut the military and raise taxes on the rich to protect Medicare and Social Security. Republicans refuse to do those things, but also refuse to cut Medicare and SS. And so the debt goes up.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 17:02 jdreyer

LgFriess wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 13:41:
Note to self... never trust a former professional athlete to run a multi-million dollar company. There may be just a SMALL chance he won't know what he's doing and the company will struggle.

Heh, that reminded me of this Jimmy Kimmel skit with Gary Oldman.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 16:13 Graham

"I donít have any problem with government helping entrepreneurs and businesses... it's when they try to help the poor, the infirm, and the lower and middle classes that I'd like them to back off."  

19. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 15:50 Verno

It's a shame because I think he shows a genuine enthusiasm for the industry but man they failed so hard on this in so many common sense ways that I think he really deserved to lose his fortune, assuming he actually did at all.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

18. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 15:23 bhcompy

Creston wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 13:42:
bhcompy wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 12:37:
Well, keep in mind he's a former professional athlete. He's used to seeing people hung out to dry by management all the time, livelihood and family be damned.

You are thinking of the NFL. That doesn't happen in MLB.

Creston

Minor-leaguers get paid beans and rarely make much of anything unless they make the 40man roster. Yes, MLB does have guaranteed contracts, so if you get paid you get paid, but very few people actually get paid, and the minimum salary doesn't cover you for when you retire since it's only a few years of normal salary(at the MLB level, at minor leagues you'll make more selling cars).

17. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 14:35 RollinThundr

Hold on a second. What most conservatives, at least fiscal conservatives complain about is rewarding those that refuse to work when they're capable of it.

I don't think anyone is against helping out small businesses (not that 38 Studios really fits into that category) or having a safety net for veterans or people who are truly disabled that can't work.

You're using the usual liberal stereotype that only Republicans are rich. Or only Republicans get corporate lobbying etc. Which is total bs. Oprah's pretty rich, Bill Cosby and most of liberal hollywood are pretty rich, Obama's certainly not a poor man. Warren Buffet, who's company owes billions in back taxes is a liberal last I checked.

Obama didn't need to bail GM out with tax payer money, they could and SHOULD have filed for bankruptcy and refinanced/restructured themselves. GM still owes the taxpayers millions, and guess what we'll never see it. The only entity that won out in that deal was the auto workers union, surprise surprise. Same thing with Crysler, the kicker there? Crysler is now owned by a European car maker.

The man added 5 trillion to the debt in 3 and half years. Has yet to pass a single budget since coming into office, has wasted tons on a failed stimulus, failed green energy companies, all on the tax payer's dime.

This whole liberal myth that only republican's or big "republican" companies get bailouts is exactly that, a myth.

No doubt Schilling didn't know wtf he was doing and had the wrong people handling 38 studio's finances, however, if I'm an employee of a company that says they're going to "take care of" selling my house, I would certainly be more involved in the process than just blindly trusting they did so or were making on time payments.

16. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 14:04 NKD

briktal wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 13:50:

It's not just that they feel like they should be able to compete, it's also that they are given the opportunity.

Yep. Of course in some fields you could not do that because you would not be accepted. But starting your own business, no one can really tell you no if you've got enough cash to get started, and there are plenty of people who like to gamble their own livelihoods by going to work for an unproven startup to enable such foolishness.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 14:01 Elricsi

1. I respect conservatives who are consistent in their principles and stick to them, but there are not many. Ron Paul and George Will off the top of my head.

2. Sure you lost ALL of your money. Even Curt is not that dumb. (And he is pretty dumb.)

14. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 13:53 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 13:50 briktal

NKD wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 13:45:
Note to self... never trust a former professional athlete to run a multi-million dollar company. There may be just a SMALL chance he won't know what he's doing and the company will struggle.

They should have started small, made the mistakes they were bound to make, learned from them, and grew.

It's a fairly common mistake when someone comes from a lot of success in one field and tries another. They feel like they should be able to compete in the big leagues. Actors who try to sing. Singers who try to act. Basketball legends who try to play baseball. Baseball players who try to manage a company.

They definitely made a mistake by putting so much on the line and going so big so early. With the amount of money they had, they could have gotten their company and name established with far less risk before trying big expensive projects.

It's not just that they feel like they should be able to compete, it's also that they are given the opportunity.

12. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 13:45 NKD

They should have started small, made the mistakes they were bound to make, learned from them, and grew.

It's a fairly common mistake when someone comes from a lot of success in one field and tries another. They feel like they should be able to compete in the big leagues. Actors who try to sing. Singers who try to act. Basketball legends who try to play baseball. Baseball players who try to manage a company.

They definitely made a mistake by putting so much on the line and going so big so early. With the amount of money they had, they could have gotten their company and name established with far less risk before trying big expensive projects.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 13:42 Creston

Well, keep in mind he's a former professional athlete. He's used to seeing people hung out to dry by management all the time, livelihood and family be damned.

You are thinking of the NFL. That doesn't happen in MLB.

Creston

10. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 13:41 LgFriess

9. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 13:31 fujiJuice

I was implying it, I can not speak for him, or Schilling for that matter I guess.  

8. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 13:14 SimplyMonk

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 13:08:
fujiJuice wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 12:22:
Not a hypocrite at all...
Not sure how any of that means he's not a hypocrite...

Ellipsis can be used to imply sarcasm. Except when they aren't! Unless you are both implying sarcasm. Then "Bravo".

7. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 13:11 space captain

yeh those multi-million dollar salaries are such a hardship

those poor, poor pro atheletes

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 13:08 Wowbagger_TIP

fujiJuice wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 12:22:
Not a hypocrite at all...

We were founded here, in Massachusetts, and itís where we would love to stay, and grow. But (and thereís always a but) our first responsibility and priority will always be the long term health of the company and the companies families. To not explore and pursue these conversations with other cities would be the height of negligence on our part, and thatís just not going to happen.

These people trust us to do right, and as leadership we will.

So no, we arenít out shopping ourselves, we are doing what any business would in its early stages which is planning for the health and well being of its employees, and the long term health of the company. Given that we currently employ almost 160 people and that number is conservatively projected to grow by 2-3 times in the next 24 months, in this economy, weíve become a desirable asset for any city trying to create jobs.

So contrary to written reports Iíve never said or will say ďgive us tax credits or we boltĒ. I donít work that way, and we wonít as a company work that way. The company is financially healthy, the publishing deal we recently inked with EAP means our first product (Mercury) will get to market when itís ready, on time and on budget, and Copernicus is growing daily in ways that seemed a pipe dream just 3 short years ago.

Not sure how any of that means he's not a hypocrite...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo