Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise

Former baseball star Curt Schilling was interviewed this morning on the Dennis & Callahan sports radio show on WEEI in Boston in the first such appearance since the demise of 38 Studios, the developer he founded. Boston.com quotes some of the conversation where Schilling spoke of investing all of his personal assets into the company while never a penny back out. He also says his former employees "have every right to be upset" as they were "blindsided" by the studio's closure after he promised a month or two of advance warning, admitting he "bombed on that one in epic fashion." He also describes the last ditch effort to save the company that failed because Rhode Island refused to go along with the plan, and addresses accusations that his acceptance of tax credits and loan guarantees from the state were hypocritical in light of his outspoken conservative viewpoints: "I don't know how that correlates to this. I donít have any problem with government helping entrepreneurs and businesses." Thanks JJ.

View
105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

5. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 12:37 bhcompy

Creston wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 12:32:
"Yeah, I bombed on that one in an epic fashion."

So what are you actually DOING to try to help these people out, now that you've bombed in an epic fashion, Curt?

*crickets*

Such a trooper. Oh, your poor 30 million dollars (out of an estimated 150 million that he's worth) that are lost. Maybe you and your wife will go out to eat only six times this week instead of the usual seven? Such hardship.

Meanwhile, where is your help for people who are now stuck with two mortgages, who get the bill from the moving company, and whose credit rating is now being ruined?

*crickets*

Creston

Well, keep in mind he's a former professional athlete. He's used to seeing people hung out to dry by management all the time, livelihood and family be damned.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 12:33 Wildone

yea, fuck em  

3. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 12:32 Creston

"Yeah, I bombed on that one in an epic fashion."

So what are you actually DOING to try to help these people out, now that you've bombed in an epic fashion, Curt?

*crickets*

Such a trooper. Oh, your poor 30 million dollars (out of an estimated 150 million that he's worth) that are lost. Maybe you and your wife will go out to eat only six times this week instead of the usual seven? Such hardship.

Meanwhile, where is your help for people who are now stuck with two mortgages, who get the bill from the moving company, and whose credit rating is now being ruined?

*crickets*

Creston

2. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 12:22 fujiJuice

Not a hypocrite at all...

We were founded here, in Massachusetts, and itís where we would love to stay, and grow. But (and thereís always a but) our first responsibility and priority will always be the long term health of the company and the companies families. To not explore and pursue these conversations with other cities would be the height of negligence on our part, and thatís just not going to happen.

These people trust us to do right, and as leadership we will.

So no, we arenít out shopping ourselves, we are doing what any business would in its early stages which is planning for the health and well being of its employees, and the long term health of the company. Given that we currently employ almost 160 people and that number is conservatively projected to grow by 2-3 times in the next 24 months, in this economy, weíve become a desirable asset for any city trying to create jobs.

So contrary to written reports Iíve never said or will say ďgive us tax credits or we boltĒ. I donít work that way, and we wonít as a company work that way. The company is financially healthy, the publishing deal we recently inked with EAP means our first product (Mercury) will get to market when itís ready, on time and on budget, and Copernicus is growing daily in ways that seemed a pipe dream just 3 short years ago.

1. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 12:16 Tumbler

Hunh, this guy sounds like he just threw up his hands and said, you're right, I screwed up, I'm a huge hypocrite. I should have warned the people that this was coming but I didn't and, man, that sucks hunh? And I'm ok with Government helping me, but not other people. I'll stand up and fight to stop other people getting any help but if I'm offered help? Oh I'll take that money and ask for more!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo