Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo

There's a new 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo trailer on the 3DMark for Windows Website showing off the next version of Futuremark's gaming benchmark, which they expect to release following the official launch of Windows 8. Here's word:

3DMARK DIRECTX 11 TECH DEMO In the trade town of Scarport, buildings cling to canyon walls above canals of lava and provide shelter from the toxic volcanic atmosphere. Gaudy neon signs flicker as steam rises from the molten rivers running beneath the town. A trader walks along ledges carved from the volcanic rock, smoke swirling around her flowing cloak. Her robotic sentinels keep watch, but what dangers lie hidden in the shadows?

The 3DMark DirectX 11 tech demo brings this scene to life with intelligent tessellation and advanced volumetric lighting using real-time light scattering. The visible particles and clouds of smoke in the scene react to other objects using fluid dynamics simulation. Post processing, ambient occlusion and various lens effects complete the look.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 23, 2012, 18:22 Evil Timmy

Dev: That's a great idea, and all you'd have to do is take it one step further and apply that database to a program that does just what you said is nearly impossible. If you've got a DB with the config file's location and what can be tweaked, it's not a big leap to have a program that can apply at least some of those fixes for you. Toss in a video recorder, do runs at a couple target framerates and with different settings, have an integrated video player that allows easy A/B comparison, and let players choose which batch of settings they prefer without having to decide on High or Ultra across 20 different settings for a few FPS here and there.

With enough users (and, I dunno, giveaways for Most Used Hidden Setting of the Month et al) and enough hardware profiled (looking at you, Valve) finding the weak point in a particular user's setup shouldn't be too difficult. There'd have to be a balance struck, because while it could gather every bit of data about your system, at some point it's a privacy issue, and you've gotta deal with the massive amounts of information. This could, in theory, be a real boon to PC users, especially those who enjoy the depth and breadth of PC games but don't want or need certification-level knowledge about the inner workings of their setup. And the referrals garnered could easily pay for all the costs of setting such a system up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 23, 2012, 17:31 Dev

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 13:34:
What they really need to do is focus on system diagnostics. For instance, if your system is being bottlenecked by a slow PCIe slot then it should inform you and recommend motherboards that would improve system performance, giving a cost-to-performance ratio. They should also analyse performance on games and automatically configure games to run at their best - for instance, applying super-sampling or enabling hidden config settings if your hardware supports them. Rather than simply giving you an irrelevant number I'd like to see much more sophisticated analysis.
While it would be quite possible to do system diagnosis, and quite cool, the game settings thing would be nearly impossible. Each game has its own tweaked engine and different settings, and reacts differently in each system. Have you ever noticed those tweak guides for individual games? Thats why they exist, as a guide, to help you figure out what settings would be the best to turn on and off.

I think about the best that could be done would be a database of good settings submitted by users and voted on by users for each game and common hardware setups.

22. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 23, 2012, 13:34 theyarecomingforyou

Aero wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 01:24:
I thought we got over the whole synthetic benchmark thing years ago anyways.
Benchmarks like 3DMark and Heaven are very good for testing overclocks and system stability, though they're certainly not as relevant as they used to be. I bought 3DMark11 - mainly because it was really cheap - but I'll definitely be passing on this, as it looks like ass. Synthetic benchmarks should look BETTER than games currently on the market, not worse.

What they really need to do is focus on system diagnostics. For instance, if your system is being bottlenecked by a slow PCIe slot then it should inform you and recommend motherboards that would improve system performance, giving a cost-to-performance ratio. They should also analyse performance on games and automatically configure games to run at their best - for instance, applying super-sampling or enabling hidden config settings if your hardware supports them. Rather than simply giving you an irrelevant number I'd like to see much more sophisticated analysis.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

21. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 23, 2012, 05:41 MadBoris

And Microsoft gets befuddled why PC gamers don't flock to buy Windows 8 with DX11 to buy Futuremark's benchmark.

At least heaven engine w/ Dx11 w/ tesselation is free.

It's not 2013 console refresh yet, most games are still using DX9 primarily till then, and MS won't let DX9 die with the XBOX360, let's not kid ourselves.

They keep touting these new directx features. But to get any serious benefits you have to build the engine from the ground up to truly leverage DX11, DX12, Dx13... and practicly no devs are willing to do that when the DX9 renderer will be the least common denominator that will be kept alive by Microsoft with their desire to support the XBOX360 as a major console for years to come. Almost ironic how one hand of MS holds back the other, if it wasn't sad for years.

20. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 23, 2012, 01:24 Aero

I thought we got over the whole synthetic benchmark thing years ago anyways.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2012, 00:55 Rigs

I'm suitably...not impressed...

It's like they try to spotlight a few particular effects to the detriment of the others. I agree, the 'human' walking (the intro description says a woman...or 'she' anyway, no necessarily human) looks extremely corny. Like the cloak they're wearing is made out of inflated rubber or maybe jello...no, Jabba the Hutts tail painted black?

You want a 'tech demo' to blow you away, go back to 1997 and watch the tech-demo-turned-sim X. Before it became a game, it was just a little tech demo, running on new Pentium200 rigs in Circuit City. I happened to see it one day and I'll never forget the feeling. My jaw was wide open for the entire 7 mins it played. From then on I vowed to get a machine that could run it adequately...and I did, several months later, roughly a year and a half before X came out as a space-sim, I was the proud owner of a P2/400 with 128mb of RAM and the kick-ass combo of a Rendition-based Diamond Stealth S220 and a 3dfx Voodoo2-based Diamond Monster 3D 2 video card combo of epic proportions. Life was good after that, life was good...*sigh*...so, uh, what were we talking about again?

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

18. Re: Skidmark Jun 23, 2012, 00:38 Breasts

Then again that thing wearing the cloak, could well be a slug the way it's moving... a slug-snake possibly?  

17. Skidmark Jun 23, 2012, 00:33 Breasts

They just cannot animate humanoids in any of their stuff.
Makes me wonder if they did the animation for the player climbing a ladder in Project IGI way back.
An idea for you, Futuresmirk. Hire an artist that can animate people or even better use motion capture. If you are using motion capture... don't you think it's about time to change the subjects wearing the kit(your pet chimpanzees?) to normal biped humans that don't walk/run like they are packing a full nappy?

Looking forward to 3DM2014

16. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 22, 2012, 22:28 Leper

Wow. I am the opposite of blown away. I am unblown here.

What the hell were you expecting? This, like the UE4 demo, isn't for gamers and probably shouldn't even be posted here.

15. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 22, 2012, 22:25 Dev

Rea1One wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 19:14:
I own every 3dmark since MadOnions days. This 2012 edition looks good.
Own as in paid money for? Or just downloaded.

14. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 22, 2012, 19:44 Jim

It's not exactly UE4 is it?  

13. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 22, 2012, 19:24 HorrorScope

See more of this are GoDaddy.com  

12. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 22, 2012, 19:14 Rea1One

I own every 3dmark since MadOnions days. This 2012 edition looks good.  

11. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 22, 2012, 17:31 Dev

jdreyer wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 16:34:
EDIT: Wow, so much hate on youtube.
Heh, more dislikes than likes.

10. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 22, 2012, 16:34 jdreyer

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 14:27:

Yeah, I agree. The one from two years ago looks more impressive.

And aren't cloth effects supposed to be part of DX 11? Or am I thinking of PhysX? The dude in that robe looks like something from 10 years ago.

Maybe it just looks crappy b/c they're trying to show off their volumetric steam and particle effects and everything looks hazy.

EDIT: Wow, so much hate on youtube.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

9. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 22, 2012, 14:27 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

8. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 22, 2012, 13:48 Vulkan

A trailer for a tech demo... I really don't know what to think about that.  

7. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 22, 2012, 13:09 Ruddrage

Is this running on a next-gen console  

6. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 22, 2012, 12:41 Shataan

Looks dated to me.  

5. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 22, 2012, 12:41 qsto

I think Manny had better physics on his cloak in Grim Fandango, than the dude in this demo  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo