Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners

WSJ has word that Blizzard will be offering some Diablo III owners in South Korea refunds over complaints about connectivity issues impeding play that prompted the Korean FTC to raid Blizzard's Seoul offices (thanks VG247). Here's word:

In a message posted on its website, the company said Diablo III players who are less than Level 40, about two-thirds of the way through the program can apply for a refund from June 25 to July 3.

Blizzard will also accept returns from any players less than Level 20, around a third of the way through the program within 14 days of purchase from now on.

In early June, the company set up more servers in Korea to cope with connectivity issues. To compensate users further, Blizzard said it would offer Diablo III users a 30 day free trial of another hot online game, Star Craft: Wings of Liberty.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 14:47 Luke

Flatline wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 14:27:
Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 14:15:
Flatline wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 12:29:
I wish we had that kind of vision here in America. However, here innovation means "figure out new ways to charge you more for less service or product!"

WITH the FCC's blessing!

Creston

America's biggest innovations these days are accounting tricks. Sub-prime mortgages, mortgage backed securities & credit default swaps. Tiered, metered, per-nanosecond billing (sort of a throwback to when mainframe operators charged by the CPU cycle), altered packaging to trim 10-15% of a product out without altering the appearance. Leveraged buyouts where the company you buy bears the debt of the purchase, accounting tricks to make debt look like assets and thus drive stock up, computers who buy and sell millions of stock shares in less than a second to take advantage of micro-fluxuations in the stock market (ever notice how they don't tell you how heavy trading was on a given day any more?)... I could go on.

We don't create things, we create new ways of short-sheeting the market.

Hard one because people today only see there own nosetip.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 14:27 Flatline

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 14:15:
I wish we had that kind of vision here in America. However, here innovation means "figure out new ways to charge you more for less service or product!"

WITH the FCC's blessing!

Creston

America's biggest innovations these days are accounting tricks. Sub-prime mortgages, mortgage backed securities & credit default swaps. Tiered, metered, per-nanosecond billing (sort of a throwback to when mainframe operators charged by the CPU cycle), altered packaging to trim 10-15% of a product out without altering the appearance. Leveraged buyouts where the company you buy bears the debt of the purchase, accounting tricks to make debt look like assets and thus drive stock up, computers who buy and sell millions of stock shares in less than a second to take advantage of micro-fluxuations in the stock market (ever notice how they don't tell you how heavy trading was on a given day any more?)... I could go on.

We don't create things, we create new ways of short-sheeting the market.

20. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 14:22 Flatline

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 12:55:
Verno wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 11:59:
Koreans generally have really good internet infrastructure so I assume whoever Blizzard contracted the game out to in South Korea must have really dropped the ball.

South Korea considers their internet infrastructure a national resource to be invested in and actively cultivated. I read that they intend to have gigabit to the home within like 5-10 years.

South Korea: 38,691 sq mi; pop 48,875,000
USA: 3,794,101 sq mi; pop 313,772,000

That whole "physics" and "engineering" thing is a bit beyond you, eh?

You're right. Fuck innovation and infrastructure investment. We're too goddamn big to do anything anymore. USA! USA! USA!

The idea that we're too big to do lofty things is bullshit. We sent men to the moon with a thousand times less computing power than my cell phone has (incidentally pushing computers into using integrated circuits instead of vacuum tubes for improved reliability, literally starting the digital/computer age). On 72 hours notice, using WW2 era technology, we airlifted enough supplies to Berlin to sustain them. Indefinitely. Starting in 1956, using 60 year old technology, we built something like 45,000 miles worth of interstate.

If we decided that internet was a national resource and that every single person in the country needed to have state of the art internet, we *could* do it in a generation, easily. It'd just take a lot of effort and a lot of money.

But it's more important to fret over what Snooki is naming her baby than to do anything that matters any more. And in the mean time, big corporations obsessed with short term profitability learn to charge more for less, because investing in infrastructure or long term goals drops your stock prices, and we can't have that, even if doing so promises 20 years of growth.

19. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 14:15 Creston

WITH the FCC's blessing!

Creston

18. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 13:56 Quboid

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 12:55:
Koreans generally have really good internet infrastructure so I assume whoever Blizzard contracted the game out to in South Korea must have really dropped the ball.

South Korea considers their internet infrastructure a national resource to be invested in and actively cultivated. I read that they intend to have gigabit to the home within like 5-10 years.

If you're going to make snide remarks, at least try to get them right. Flatline didn't say US broadband should be as good as the Republic of Korea's, which you seem to be arguing against, he said that the US lacks vision and innovation.

- Quboid

17. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 13:43 Paranoid Jack

Alamar wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 13:35:
Interesting... what games have a need for a 'collector edition version'?

-Alamar

None have a "need" for the CE but if you have the means and want the extras you have that option. Just like getting those low profile tires and the sports package when you're buying a new car. If you can afford it and/or want it... get it.

edit: Diablo III CE @ Amazon.Com
It appears the market is over saturated at the moment.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2012, 13:52.

16. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 13:42 Rattlehead

On a note all new players who purchase diablo 3 are placed on a 72 hour probation period with access restricted to level 13 and skeleton king. This is said to combat cheaters and hackers.  

15. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 13:35 Alamar

Luke wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 13:17:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 12:57:

That is spot on. I can't remember the last time I called in or contact a company via e-mail and received a prompt sensible response. The tech support/help line/customer support in this country has gone to shit. It was never great... but comparing five or so years ago to today's standard... back then, it was stellar. I'm not just talking about computer software tech support. Everything from ordering services from a local provider (cable/Internet/phone) to applying for unemployment (not me). I hear it from almost every customer I visit and pretty much anyone else I talk to that had to call somebody for support concerning a service or product. Yet, these businesses wonder why the public hates them?

Back on topic. I've been out of town most of the past month and a half so I am finally thinking about opening my CE D3. Though I am hesitant to do so.

Don't open it , just sell it on ebay to some collector and buy the standard edition , because its all about the RMAH in this game so no need for collector edition version

Interesting... what games have a need for a 'collector edition version'?

-Alamar

14. removed Jun 21, 2012, 13:17 Luke

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 21, 2012, 14:17.

13. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 12:57 Paranoid Jack

That is spot on. I can't remember the last time I called in or contact a company via e-mail and received a prompt sensible response. The tech support/help line/customer support in this country has gone to shit. It was never great... but comparing five or so years ago to today's standard... back then, it was stellar. I'm not just talking about computer software tech support. Everything from ordering services from a local provider (cable/Internet/phone) to applying for unemployment (not me). I hear it from almost every customer I visit and pretty much anyone else I talk to that had to call somebody for support concerning a service or product. Yet, these businesses wonder why the public hates them?

Back on topic. I've been out of town most of the past month and a half so I am finally thinking about opening my CE D3. Though I am hesitant to do so.

12. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 12:55 Eirikrautha

11. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 12:53 Wallshadows

To compensate users further, Blizzard said it would offer Diablo III users a 30 day free trial of another hot online game, Star Craft: Wings of Liberty.

Isn't Korea the SC capital of the world or something along those lines? Seems like an empty gesture...

10. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 12:47 HorrorScope

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 11:48:
How did I know the first 2 posts would be on my ignore filter?

Good ignore filter and even better self-control.

You are right, this is a great game and it's been handled beautifully. No reason to pick on it at all.

9. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 12:35 Luke

"sigh"
in other news ...today we..... Clown

8. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 12:29 Flatline

7. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 12:25 spindoctor

Yea. It also kind of seems like a pointless legal mess... Blizzard already offers refunds on digital purchases for 1 month after you buy it. To put in further restrictions of being less than level 40 and applying for a refund in a particular week seems to narrow down the scope of an already existing refund program. I guess this is done to accommodate retail buyers?

In any case, the number of people who were affected by connectivity issues during launch week and are still less than level 40 must be miniscule, especially in a Diablo crazy country like South Korea. It all seems so... pointless.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

6. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 12:15 Alamar

Damn skippy... Change is made by losing money...

Edit:

Because you know you're a snob?

I wonder if he saw this : )

-Alamar

5. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 11:59 Verno

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

4. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 11:54 MxxCon

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 11:19:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 11:11:
can i haz $$$ two?!

Nope, now we have nation discrimination!

I knew they rushed this game, needed another decade.
They didn't rush the game, they just needed to get rid of that fucking ridiculous always-online requirement for a single-player game!
Why the fuck when I'm running alone in my own dungeon should the game actually lag if something happens to my connection.

3. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 11:48 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo