Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners

WSJ has word that Blizzard will be offering some Diablo III owners in South Korea refunds over complaints about connectivity issues impeding play that prompted the Korean FTC to raid Blizzard's Seoul offices (thanks VG247). Here's word:

In a message posted on its website, the company said Diablo III players who are less than Level 40, about two-thirds of the way through the program can apply for a refund from June 25 to July 3.

Blizzard will also accept returns from any players less than Level 20, around a third of the way through the program within 14 days of purchase from now on.

In early June, the company set up more servers in Korea to cope with connectivity issues. To compensate users further, Blizzard said it would offer Diablo III users a 30 day free trial of another hot online game, Star Craft: Wings of Liberty.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 22, 2012, 19:17 Paranoid Jack

Creston wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 12:28:
Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 21:22:
The original poster decried the lack of commitment in the US to increasing the availability of fast data services. He referred to such services as "infrastructure." I simply pointed out the differences in scale between SK and the US, and (sarcastically) that the definition of "infrastructure" today is "anything I'd like to have, but want other people to pay for." Data service is NOT "infrastructure" ... it is a luxury. And it is a luxury that the American people don't seem to want to pay for. If they did, Verizon wouldn't have stopped converting old copper to FIOS. There's no interest among large groups of Americans to create a high-speed network for everyone with their disposable income. So, what is the other funding option? Force people to pay for something they don't want (but you do) through the government's forcible confiscation of wages, under the guise of "infrastructure." Well, sorry, but that doesn't fly...

Verizon didn't stop rolling out FIOS because there was no demand. They stopped rolling out FIOS because they'd done their most dense markets, and didn't really care about the less dense ones. There's plenty of people who'd LOVE to get FIOS, and Verizon doesn't care to roll it out to their neighborhood.

So... is that the customer's fault, in your opinion?

And actually, the government has this wonderful initiative in place that gives subsidies to Telcos to deploy high-end data infrastructure to rural areas. (It used to be just phones and they use the same thing for "broadband" internet access now.)

Sadly, like with all things government does, all the initiative does is pay out money to AT&T and Time Warner and its ilk, and they just put it in the bank while rolling out exactly zero meters of fiber to any rural area.

So yeah, there is actually funds available to get more of America connected in a decent fashion. It's just not being used that way because the government is fucking incompetent and the Telcos are just thieves.

Creston

As far as I remember none of the large NA telcos took that carrot. They took not one red cent of the Obama Stimulus Package... or whatever it was being called when our government printed trillions of dollars and gave it to large corporations/banks for the so called trickle down theory. So the only reason that they (large telcos) would roll out broadband to rural areas if there is a perceived market there. Remember they spent millions pushing out DSL to some rural areas and they never recouped that money. You think they will do it again on an even more expensive network?

Also why pay to put FTTN or FTTP in when the customers are constantly jumping ship? The only thing the customer cares about is who is giving me the best priced package. I see it all the time. The customer will give you the lamest reasons why they switched to the other provider put up with shitty service until the promo was up then switched back. Funnier still is when they switch back they expect the entire install to be FREE? After they had the VOIP provider come in and butcher their inside phone wire. So then they bitch about how much the fees are to fix it. Fast forward... six months later... they are jumping to another provider again. It is a never ending cycle with the low income customer. They see the savings on the monthly bill and that is all that matters.

That is their prerogative. Freedom of choice and all that jazz. And I would love to tell you that we are in a fantasy land here in the US where the company with the best customer service wins in the end. Fact is poor service doesn't matter to people anymore. Most get poor service because they are poor customers. They expect it. Seems they love it... because it has gone viral. I can't tell you the last time I was given great customers service outside of a sit down non fast food restaurant.

Times have changed and not for the better.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 22, 2012, 15:33 Verno

Creston wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 12:28:
Verizon didn't stop rolling out FIOS because there was no demand. They stopped rolling out FIOS because they'd done their most dense markets, and didn't really care about the less dense ones. There's plenty of people who'd LOVE to get FIOS, and Verizon doesn't care to roll it out to their neighborhood.

It's not that Verizon doesn't care, it's that to make any money they need to have X population density to justify it. It is quite simply a metric shitload of money to deploy fiber and its also an endless source of problems with permits, labor, construction and so on. Verizon knows people love FiOS, I have a few buddies who work there who say the company is all about getting it to as many homes as possible because they know its a home run. They are maxed out though, they dumped billions into deployments just to get where they are and shareholders were getting antsy. Unfortunately the government isn't handing out subsidies to deploy fiber in most areas and if they are they are handing out the contracts to local companies.

I think the local municipalities will get there long before the government or corporations do, assuming they don't get sued by the telco/cableco like a few have already.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

40. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 22, 2012, 12:28 Creston

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 21:22:
The original poster decried the lack of commitment in the US to increasing the availability of fast data services. He referred to such services as "infrastructure." I simply pointed out the differences in scale between SK and the US, and (sarcastically) that the definition of "infrastructure" today is "anything I'd like to have, but want other people to pay for." Data service is NOT "infrastructure" ... it is a luxury. And it is a luxury that the American people don't seem to want to pay for. If they did, Verizon wouldn't have stopped converting old copper to FIOS. There's no interest among large groups of Americans to create a high-speed network for everyone with their disposable income. So, what is the other funding option? Force people to pay for something they don't want (but you do) through the government's forcible confiscation of wages, under the guise of "infrastructure." Well, sorry, but that doesn't fly...

So... is that the customer's fault, in your opinion?

And actually, the government has this wonderful initiative in place that gives subsidies to Telcos to deploy high-end data infrastructure to rural areas. (It used to be just phones and they use the same thing for "broadband" internet access now.)

Sadly, like with all things government does, all the initiative does is pay out money to AT&T and Time Warner and its ilk, and they just put it in the bank while rolling out exactly zero meters of fiber to any rural area.

So yeah, there is actually funds available to get more of America connected in a decent fashion. It's just not being used that way because the government is fucking incompetent and the Telcos are just thieves.

Creston

39. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 22, 2012, 12:21 Creston

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 17:27:
No one is stopping you from having a dedicated fiber-optic line run from the local teleco directly to your mom's basement. They'd be happy to do it... so long as you are willing to pony up the cash.

Yeah, that's what they SAY. That's not actually what they're willing to do. I called Cox and asked what it would cost for a FTTH if I paid for it. (It was around 12 grand.)

Then, when I actually offered to pay for it and asked them if and when they could do it, they said I had to get 50 more customers in my neighborhood interested, AT TWELVE GRAND A FUCKING PIECE, before they'd actually come and do it.

So no. They won't come and do it if you offer to pay for it.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2012, 12:28.

38. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 22, 2012, 08:14 MadBoris

A 30 day free trial of your game, WOW, what an amazing 'compensation'.

I'm not sure I've ever witnessed such benevolence.

37. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 21:29 Sepharo

Data service is NOT "infrastructure" ... it is a luxury.
You've entirely missed point...
If we decided that internet was a national resource
Which we haven't... You read that and then took the opportunity to rant about taxes and spending other people's money. We simply gave examples of infrastructure that is considered national resources and how they were paid for with money raised from taxes. Don't worry though you can keep benefiting from all that infrastructure and bitch about taxes.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2012, 21:35.

36. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 21:22 Eirikrautha

Sepharo wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 20:17:
Flatline wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 14:22:
If we decided that internet was a national resource and that every single person in the country needed to have state of the art internet, we *could* do it in a generation, easily. It'd just take a lot of effort and a lot of money.

Rock on. I'll count on you to pony up the money necessary, then. Oh, wait... you meant someone else's money!

Every dime to create infrastructure comes out of someone's pocket, either through taxes or charges. You can tax some people to pay for someone else's infrastructure (the reason that this country is so messed up: the don't and won't dos are subsidized by the already have dones) or you can raise the prices to pay for the individual services that people receive.

No one is stopping you from having a dedicated fiber-optic line run from the local teleco directly to your mom's basement. They'd be happy to do it... so long as you are willing to pony up the cash. And there are a lot of people who would rather have cheap cable than fast internet speeds (otherwise the telecos would put the fiber in). But you'd rather take someone else's money and then spend it the way you want. How noble of you...

If you live in the United States you've already been benefiting from publicly funded infrastructure your whole life. If your parents, grandparents, and beyond also lived here then you owe your most likely comfortable life to that infrastructure. This isn't something unique to the United States or even modern life... Humans have been banding together and cooperating since always. Our lives are as great as they are because we benefit from helping each other. Go live in the fucking woods but make sure you don't use any roads to get there if you haven't personally paid for the complete construction of them. And next time you shit keep it out of our pipes... Yeah, you have a fucking septic tank big deal
Who's this "our"? Care to compare our relative lifetime contributions to society, through both taxes and the value of the products we have produced? I'll bet I've footed both my share and a bunch of your share of the modern "infrastructure". And the rest of your argument is a non sequitur. Because people have paid for roads in the past (which provide both a civil and military benefit), I am not allowed to object to paying for a luxury like fast internet for everyone? What's next, compulsory caviar and brie (it's for the children, you know)?

Now, since reading comprehension seems to be a dying art, I'll spell this out in small words so everyone here will be sure to follow.

35. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 21:05 Eirikrautha

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 20:16:
If we decided that internet was a national resource and that every single person in the country needed to have state of the art internet, we *could* do it in a generation, easily. It'd just take a lot of effort and a lot of money.

Rock on. I'll count on you to pony up the money necessary, then. Oh, wait... you meant someone else's money!

Every dime to create infrastructure comes out of someone's pocket, either through taxes or charges. You can tax some people to pay for someone else's infrastructure (the reason that this country is so messed up: the don't and won't dos are subsidized by the already have dones) or you can raise the prices to pay for the individual services that people receive.
So, you're saying you're against infrastructure spending? So you wouldn't have been in favor of things like the interstate system or railroads, or electric and water service?

You're making the same mistake he was. It doesn't matter what I want. If I want something the community doesn't want, then I need to pay for it myself. The US population does not value fast internet to the point that they are willing to fund it. This is shown by the fact that even the attempts by major telecos (like Verizon) to increase FIOS services have been suspended. The public at large doesn't want the service at the price. They would rather spend their LUXURY dollars elsewhere.

Oh, and ironically enough, most of the things you listed are not infrastructure for the public's convenience. Both the interstate system and most railroads were originally designed to support military movements (check the original interstate proposals by Eisenhower or the original rationale for many of the railways). The civilian benefits were a by-product of a military objective (kind of like ... oh... DARPANET...). The rest were accomplished by PRIVATE dollars (at least until FDR and the TVA)... because people wanted to pay for it.

Just because we love online gaming does not mean that everyone wants a high-speed connection. Especially when the primary source of "public" infrastructure funding today comes from forced remittances of money (i.e. taxes).

34. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 20:27 Prez

Wow - this thread got... strange.

Anyway, I'm done lamenting about how badly Blizzard screwed the pooch with Diablo 3; what I want to know is how many is "some".

...Blizzard will be offering some Diablo III owners in South Korea refunds over complaints about connectivity issues impeding play...

Any guesstimates?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 20:17 Sepharo

No one is stopping you from having a dedicated fiber-optic line run from the local teleco directly to your mom's basement. They'd be happy to do it... so long as you are willing to pony up the cash. And there are a lot of people who would rather have cheap cable than fast internet speeds (otherwise the telecos would put the fiber in). But you'd rather take someone else's money and then spend it the way you want. How noble of you...

If you live in the United States you've already been benefiting from publicly funded infrastructure your whole life. If your parents, grandparents, and beyond also lived here then you owe your most likely comfortable life to that infrastructure. This isn't something unique to the United States or even modern life... Humans have been banding together and cooperating since always. Our lives are as great as they are because we benefit from helping each other. Go live in the fucking woods but make sure you don't use any roads to get there if you haven't personally paid for the complete construction of them. And next time you shit keep it out of our pipes... Yeah, you have a fucking septic tank big deal

32. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 20:16 Wowbagger_TIP

So, you're saying you're against infrastructure spending? So you wouldn't have been in favor of things like the interstate system or railroads, or electric and water service?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

31. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 19:51 Steele Johnson

I have to say, after 12 years of development, Diablo 3 turned out to be quite the shitty game. I'd like to get my money back too.  

30. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 19:41 MxxCon

Paranoid Jack wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 12:57:
Flatline wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 12:29:
I wish we had that kind of vision here in America. However, here innovation means "figure out new ways to charge you more for less service or product!"

That is spot on. I can't remember the last time I called in or contact a company via e-mail and received a prompt sensible response. The tech support/help line/customer support in this country has gone to shit. It was never great... but comparing five or so years ago to today's standard... back then, it was stellar. I'm not just talking about computer software tech support. Everything from ordering services from a local provider (cable/Internet/phone) to applying for unemployment (not me). I hear it from almost every customer I visit and pretty much anyone else I talk to that had to call somebody for support concerning a service or product. Yet, these businesses wonder why the public hates them?
Contact Zappos.com or Sonic.Net or Rackspace customer service to experience what every other company should strive for.
Back on topic. I've been out of town most of the past month and a half so I am finally thinking about opening my CE D3. Though I am hesitant to do so.
might as well open it. I wouldn't be surprised if blizzard implemented some sort of limit on the age of unused game keys. :/

29. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 19:32 theyarecomingforyou

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 17:30:
Anyone who can say, with a straight face, that the US doesn't innovate or create grand visions of the future is so laughable as to beneath response.
If by "grand visions of the future" you mean bailing out multi-billion dollar companies with taxpayer money for the benefit of the 1%, then sure... the US is exceptional at innovating. If you're talking about innovation for the benefit of society then the US has failed miserably. It's all relative.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

28. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 18:03 Wallshadows

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 17:30:
It's not the Chinese, Japanese, or Taiwanese who are inventing what they mass produce for us...

No, they just happen to have a surplus of workers who are willing to be paid ten cents an hour to help maximize profit margins for those who have come up with the idea.

Can't have one without the other anymore and the world depends on slave labor to make it go around.

27. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 17:30 Eirikrautha

Quboid wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 13:56:
...he said that the US lacks vision and innovation.
Sorry, I was giving him credit for not being that stupid. Anyone who can say, with a straight face, that the US doesn't innovate or create grand visions of the future is so laughable as to beneath response.

It's not the Chinese, Japanese, or Taiwanese who are inventing what they mass produce for us...

26. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 17:27 Eirikrautha

25. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 17:02 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 16:31:

There have been plans by the DOT to start putting fiber into every new mile of road/interstate they lay down. Their thinking is that that way, it's not as big an investment for the telcos to hook people up with FTTH if they can connect it at the nearest highway.

Of course, fuckers like AT&T and Warner still bitch that it'll be too expensive, and then they introduce more caps.

The real problem is we let corporations get away with simply charging more for shit, thereby increasing their profits. If they can just increase their profits by upping their profits, why would they ever have an incentive to actually invest and try to grow their market?

We need to get rid of both the GOP and the Democrats, and let somebody else be in charge for awhile.

Creston

UCA

United Corporations of America

24. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 16:38 Pigeon

Paranoid Jack wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 12:57:
Flatline wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 12:29:
I wish we had that kind of vision here in America. However, here innovation means "figure out new ways to charge you more for less service or product!"

That is spot on. I can't remember the last time I called in or contact a company via e-mail and received a prompt sensible response. The tech support/help line/customer support in this country has gone to shit. It was never great... but comparing five or so years ago to today's standard... back then, it was stellar. I'm not just talking about computer software tech support. Everything from ordering services from a local provider (cable/Internet/phone) to applying for unemployment (not me). I hear it from almost every customer I visit and pretty much anyone else I talk to that had to call somebody for support concerning a service or product. Yet, these businesses wonder why the public hates them?

Back on topic. I've been out of town most of the past month and a half so I am finally thinking about opening my CE D3. Though I am hesitant to do so.

Pretty sure these stories were on Blue's awhile back. It's all part of the MBA's master plan to show how robust and profitable their companies are by cutting jobs and replacing them with *less efficient systems and lower quality products. Surely that plan can't back fire

* less efficient for customers

23. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 16:31 Creston

There have been plans by the DOT to start putting fiber into every new mile of road/interstate they lay down. Their thinking is that that way, it's not as big an investment for the telcos to hook people up with FTTH if they can connect it at the nearest highway.

Of course, fuckers like AT&T and Warner still bitch that it'll be too expensive, and then they introduce more caps.

The real problem is we let corporations get away with simply charging more for shit, thereby increasing their profits. If they can just increase their profits by upping their profits, why would they ever have an incentive to actually invest and try to grow their market?

We need to get rid of both the GOP and the Democrats, and let somebody else be in charge for awhile.

Creston

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo