Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy

"I think, ultimately, those microtransactions will be in every game, but the game itself or the access to the game will be free." -- EA's Peter Moore.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 22, 2012, 07:33 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 14:26:
Tanto Edge wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 00:42:
An e-reader is not the same as a book. I can lend a book out, and I can't be denied access to a book by a remote server.

You actually CAN lend out some e-books. Like actually transfer the copy to someone else, and while they have it, you can't access it. It's still in the infant stages, but it's possible. And, of course, you could potentially lend out your e-reader, though that seems unlikely.

The shutdown by a remote server thing was irritating when it happened, but in retrospect, I can see why they did it. The people who were selling the book did not actually own the license to sell it, and thus were actively using Amazon to promote piracy. The people who had the book removed were refunded the purchase price.

While it's not an ideal situation, and I initially lambasted Amazon for it, once I knew all the facts I realized that Amazon didn't have a lot of choice in the matter but to act as they did.

Don't get me wrong, I love books. I love B&M book stores, and I hate to see them go away. I love just spending a few hours in a book store. But on the flipside, there is no denying the absolute ease of my kindle. A few weeks ago, on a Saturday evening, I saw a mention of a book I really wanted to read. About two minutes later, I was reading it on my Kindle. Had I gone the normal book route, I'd have had to wait until the next day, had to drive into town to the one book store left, etc. Or, if I ordered it off Amazon, I'd have had to wait until Tuesday to get it.

When I went on vacation last week, I took about 20 books with me to read at the beach. Total weight: about 20 ounces.

Add in the awesome success stories of self-published authors who are finding major success in the e-book circuit when normal publishers wouldn't give them the time of day, and I think the e-book is one of the best inventions we've made in a long time.

Creston

Yeah, going on vacation was the key for me. I did a lengthy tour in asia a few years back and brought a ton of books. For weight restriction reasons I was just leaving finished books in airports and hotels.

I stopped loving B&M book stores around the time Amazon came around, though. B&M book stores are terrible experiences. They never have the book you want, and if there isn't a specific book you want you'll never find anything, as most arty and/or literary books have no description, the back cover is just quotes from other authors about how wonderful the book is. You have very little to go by on content or quality.

Drove me insane. I could spend hours at a bookstore and come out with nothing but frustration. Now if I'm in a bookstore I've got Amazon open on my phone to read reviews, but with Prime I can get something overnight, with Kindle I can get it instantly, I'm paying less, etc.,...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 22, 2012, 02:25 ledhead1969

http://bit.ly/LBHQ2N  

26. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 21, 2012, 18:51 Jivaro

Add in the awesome success stories of self-published authors who are finding major success in the e-book circuit when normal publishers wouldn't give them the time of day, and I think the e-book is one of the best inventions we've made in a long time.
Creston

Yeah, the way self-publishing has become so accessible is a huge upside to e-readers. Another upside is the ridiculous amount of books you can get for free or very little. I mean, if you are a "reader" type...and you don't let Oprah or the USA Today determine your book list...owning an e-reader feels like you got a gaming console that plays every game ever made AND gives you new games for free. Seriously, I think out of my 600+ books, I might have paid more then 3 bucks for 5 of them. I also dig them for magazine subscriptions, which of late have become really good at taking advantage of the multimedia benefits of e-readers and tablets over a printed mag.

25. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 21, 2012, 14:26 Creston

An e-reader is not the same as a book. I can lend a book out, and I can't be denied access to a book by a remote server.

You actually CAN lend out some e-books. Like actually transfer the copy to someone else, and while they have it, you can't access it. It's still in the infant stages, but it's possible. And, of course, you could potentially lend out your e-reader, though that seems unlikely.

The shutdown by a remote server thing was irritating when it happened, but in retrospect, I can see why they did it. The people who were selling the book did not actually own the license to sell it, and thus were actively using Amazon to promote piracy. The people who had the book removed were refunded the purchase price.

While it's not an ideal situation, and I initially lambasted Amazon for it, once I knew all the facts I realized that Amazon didn't have a lot of choice in the matter but to act as they did.

Don't get me wrong, I love books. I love B&M book stores, and I hate to see them go away. I love just spending a few hours in a book store. But on the flipside, there is no denying the absolute ease of my kindle. A few weeks ago, on a Saturday evening, I saw a mention of a book I really wanted to read. About two minutes later, I was reading it on my Kindle. Had I gone the normal book route, I'd have had to wait until the next day, had to drive into town to the one book store left, etc. Or, if I ordered it off Amazon, I'd have had to wait until Tuesday to get it.

When I went on vacation last week, I took about 20 books with me to read at the beach. Total weight: about 20 ounces.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2012, 14:41.

24. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 21, 2012, 10:26 DeadlyAccurate

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 22:48:
Look at the MMO market. It can be lucrative. If you're WOW. Everything else is flash in the pan. F2P is throwaway gaming. I cannot see many of these titles lasting longer than a few months until the next gimmick F2P title comes along. Who are they planning to addict into their "longterm" cashcow? Poor teenagers with enough time on their hands to grind away in mp? Exactly the sorts of people who get bored quickly and move on.

There are many F2P titles that have been around for years and are still going strong. It's true that F2P isn't the cash cow people want it to be, any more than making a duplicate of WoW became the instant money-maker people wanted five years ago, but that doesn't mean the model doesn't still work.

I don't hate F2P, but I do find it frustrating much of the time. I would usually rather just pay a subscription and have access to everything. It encourages the developers to put more into the game rather than into the cash shop. Too often, like in the case of LOTRO, they spend more time working on their store content than their game content.

23. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 21, 2012, 10:26 xXBatmanXx

Beamer wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 20:35:
I think he's largely right, and as someone that hates microtransactions and f2p I hate it.

This is one area I hate seeing the AAA studios following indies.

Well, Valve and other companies came out and said they make a sh*t ton more when the game is F2P and they do micros and that just got the snowball rolling down the huge ass hill. It is to bad. IMHO it isn't helping gamers.

If I recall, we all said this was going to be the norm....long long ago.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

22. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 21, 2012, 07:19 Dades

Buying a book from a book store will never mean it has DRM, or requires an internet connection.

You can buy a wi-fi ereader and control the whole experience yourself just like a book. Ebook DRM is a bit of a joke, I use Calibre to remove DRM from purchased books if I happen to come across any and keep my library on my PC. Since I don't sync with Amazon they can't remove anything, not that they would after the last fiasco and what it cost them. I'd never buy an always online ereader as that would present a bigger risk but right now there is no way publishers can affect my experience.

21. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 21, 2012, 05:33 ibm

More groundwork for SWTOR going free to play  

20. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 21, 2012, 03:57 Prez

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 03:12:
Prez wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 02:39:
mo one
Mo One the villainous gangster CEO who lords over all publisher CEOs

Haha! Edited now. That pesky 'm' key - so close to the 'n' and similar looking enough to evade a cursory proofread.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 21, 2012, 03:12 Dmitri_M

Prez wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 02:39:
mo one
Mo One the villainous gangster CEO who lords over all publisher CEOs

18. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 21, 2012, 02:39 Prez

Luckily, no one listens to clueless hacks like Moore.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2012, 03:58.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 21, 2012, 00:43 Tanto Edge

qft.

finga wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 00:38:
Two, three, five, ten bucks? These are not microtransactions. These are just plain transactions.

Peter Moore, get back to me when stupid video game shit costs less than a bottle of soda. Until then, this is just a normal purchase that I weigh just like anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

16. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 21, 2012, 00:42 Tanto Edge

Buying a book from a book store will never mean it has DRM, or requires an internet connection.

jdreyer wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 22:47:
Blackhawk wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 22:39:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 22:17:
I hope not. This is like saying, "All reading will now be on the internet. No one will sell paperback novels anymore."

And yet e-reader business is skyrocketing while B&M bookstores are closing like mad. People are voting with their business.

Well, an e-reader is the same as a book. You can be offline to read it. A paper back is equiv to getting a single player game at a brick and mortar. An e reader is like downloading from Steam. Either way, I can play offline. For MMO/F2P I must be online. That's my biggest concern. And in that way my metaphor holds up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

15. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 21, 2012, 00:38 finga

Two, three, five, ten bucks? These are not microtransactions. These are just plain transactions.

Peter Moore, get back to me when stupid video game shit costs less than a bottle of soda. Until then, this is just a normal purchase that I weigh just like anything else.

14. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 20, 2012, 23:35 killer_roach

Dades wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 22:13:
Yep, this is a load of crap. EA is going to charge you for the box, charge you for the DLC and then charge you for stuff in a shop.

Well, not necessarily - charging to get in creates a barrier to entry, and makes one more thing that you have to manage the price of. Ultimately, the best way to maximize revenue from any product is to get everybody to pay you as much as they're willing to pay - if that ends up being nothing, so be it. If that's $1, so be it. If it's $1,000 - congratulations, you just made up for the people who paid $1 or less.

13. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 20, 2012, 23:16 Beamer

Yakubs wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 21:59:
So, ultimately, the goal of all games will be to addict the player rather than entertain them? Sounds like a bleak future, Peter. Maybe not for your stock options, though.

Well, addiction and entertainment can be the same thing, but yeah, FarmVille or whatever.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 20, 2012, 22:55 Orogogus

There are other MMOs that have survived besides WOW. EVE Online has kept its niche going for almost 10 years, WWII Online isn't dead yet, Everquest I don't even know what, and somehow Ultima Online is apparently still around. And of course LotR Online prospering after going F2P helped set the current trend.

There's only one game making money hand over fist like a license to print money, but the other guys aren't necessarily doing that badly.

11. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 20, 2012, 22:48 Dmitri_M

I had an interview a while back at a F2P dev. During the generic "ask the prospective employer questions to show your interest in the position" I asked about their F2P business model. In a positive vague way. The guy instantly became real defensive and went on about "long term strategy to remain in business" as though they were always just breaking even and not all that confident in what they're doing.

Look at the MMO market. It can be lucrative. If you're WOW. Everything else is flash in the pan. F2P is throwaway gaming. I cannot see many of these titles lasting longer than a few months until the next gimmick F2P title comes along. Who are they planning to addict into their "longterm" cashcow? Poor teenagers with enough time on their hands to grind away in mp? Exactly the sorts of people who get bored quickly and move on.

The major devs going f2p are trying to cash in on some elusive hard to predict casual market of gamers while dropping the core gamers looking for good SP experiences. Why not spend less money on graphics, aim to be profitable at 500 000 to 1 million sales rather than gambling on shallow games with broad appeal that may or may not sell 5 million copies.

And yes, Tribes f2p is good and I realise there are exceptions.

10. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 20, 2012, 22:47 jdreyer

Blackhawk wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 22:39:
I hope not. This is like saying, "All reading will now be on the internet. No one will sell paperback novels anymore."

And yet e-reader business is skyrocketing while B&M bookstores are closing like mad. People are voting with their business.

Well, an e-reader is the same as a book. You can be offline to read it. A paper back is equiv to getting a single player game at a brick and mortar. An e reader is like downloading from Steam. Either way, I can play offline. For MMO/F2P I must be online. That's my biggest concern. And in that way my metaphor holds up.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9. Re: Quoteworthy Jun 20, 2012, 22:39 Blackhawk

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo