Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year

THQ and Volition announce that the Enter the Dominatrix standalone expansion for Saints Row the Third will not be released as planned, but instead the content it was to include will be part of a planned new full installment in the open world action series, a game tentatively titled "The Next Great Sequel in the Saints Row Franchise." The expansion was planned for release this year, but the sequel is not due until calendar 2013. Here's the announcement, which includes the implications for THQ's bottom line:

THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) and Volition, Inc. today announced development of the standalone expansion Saints Row®: The Third – Enter the Dominatrix™ will now be incorporated into production of the next great sequel in the Saints Row® franchise, tentatively titled “The Next Great Sequel in the Saints Row Franchise.”

“The Next Great Sequel in the Saints Row Franchise.” "When I looked at the Enter The Dominatrix expansion in production at Volition, I was blown away by the ideas and desire to expand the fiction of the franchise,” said Jason Rubin, THQ’s President. “I asked the team what it could achieve given more time, more resources, and a broader scope for the project. We all agreed we wanted to play that game. When it comes to Saints Row, it’s clear our fans want bigger, better, and even more over the top, and that’s why Enter The Dominatrix will now be incorporated into a vastly expanded, full-fledged sequel, scheduled for calendar 2013.”

Added Rubin, “We believe the potential for this sequel is far greater as a full-priced, full-length, high quality, connected experience.”

The change in production will shift net sales from THQ’s 2013 fiscal year into fiscal 2014. As a result, THQ currently expects to have an approximate $20 million reduction to non-GAAP net sales and an approximate ($0.03) impact to non-GAAP net loss per share for fiscal 2013 when compared with previously-announced guidance.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 21, 2012, 01:19 Razumen

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 01:16:
Razumen wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 19:15:
Flatline wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 16:54:
I'll take SR2 & 3 over GTA4 if for no other reason than "NIIIICO EEETZ YOUR COUSAIN!" phone calls every fucking 8 minutes.

It also didn't help that the PC port of GTA4 was absolute balls.

Yeah, if they could ever make a decent port, I might actually buy it. I hate playing any sort of shooter on a console. Owell, maybe GTA5...

Vice City was decent, don't know about San Andreas.
The worst thing about the PC edition of GTA4 is that a friend bought it for me and I don't have the heart to tell him his money could have been spent better...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 21, 2012, 01:16 Wowbagger_TIP

Razumen wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 19:15:
I'll take SR2 & 3 over GTA4 if for no other reason than "NIIIICO EEETZ YOUR COUSAIN!" phone calls every fucking 8 minutes.

Yeah, if they could ever make a decent port, I might actually buy it. I hate playing any sort of shooter on a console. Owell, maybe GTA5...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

31. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 19:44 tuddies

AWESOME! So this expansion will be even better! Bring it on THQ!  

30. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 19:31 SectorEffector

"And the dude bitching about the oomph of weapons obviously never got the sonic boom"

I'm sure even that games largest weapons still feel silly and with its jokey ragdoll system to go with it.

Fact is

GTA guns and explosions feel = FEAR 1

Saints Row's Guns and explosions = Fear 3

One is much better with guns and oomph in every way... Now story, random shit, and comedy are a much different thing.

Most of the cars I was shooting didn't even get bullet holes on them... very weak feeling weapons.

You can play with airsoft guns all you want, more power to you.. but some games capture guns with a sense of beauty and do them justice.

It's like watching CBS's NCIS cheap TV firefights after watching the movie HEAT. It just leaves something to be desired.

sincerely,
-the dude bitching about the oomph-

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2012, 22:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

29. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 19:15 Razumen

28. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 18:48 Dades

I always accepted when they asked to do stuff but then called back to reschedule. You could do this as many time as you want and never lose rep with that person. I didn't mind many of the activities because it lent some realism to the world, I wasn't always just ripping and robbing. It was nice to go get a hot dog or go bowling for 5 minutes, thats not something you see in a lot of videogames. Their timing for calling did tend to suck and getting repeats was a bit bothersome.

I liked both Saints Row and GTA for different reasons. I appreciated the new GTA approach but there is always that part of me that wants the ridiculous, almost slapstick mayhem of previous GTA games that Saints Row has now inherited.

27. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 18:37 xXBatmanXx

Well now that is your own fault. You can turn off your phone....I enjoyed all of the phone missions.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

26. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 16:54 Flatline

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 14:19:
Lolwut, some people may have liked SR3 better than GTA IV, but I've never heard of anyone saying it's realistic. You set yourself up for disappointment by somehow getting that idea. The whole point is the over-the-top, out-of-left-field action sequences.

I was looking forward to this expansion, but I guess if they want to take more time to make it into a sequel, that's cool. If it ends up releasing late 2013 that won't be too bad, and chances are it will be available for 30-40% off (before release, thank you GMG) like the last one was anyway.

My only complaint was that the story made no sense whatsoever. The individual side stories were great, but they didn't string together well.

And the dude bitching about the oomph of weapons obviously never got the sonic boom.

25. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 16:37 Fantaz

Is “TNGSITSRF” the new Working Title? (“The Next Great Sequel in the Saints Row Franchise.”)  

24. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 16:31 ASeven

Warskull wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 15:34:
You know what the worst thing is, when the company inevitable fails they'll blame his humane treatment of employees and customer focused attitude using it as evidence that EA and Activision's models are better. Completely ignoring how THQ got into this predicament in the first place.

Yeah. In this I agree with Beamer, the guy now in charge of THQ is a decent guy. He shouldn't have accepted the position, it was already an non-salvageable sinking ship by then. Had this guy been CEO from day 1 however and THQ might have been one of the big publishers and one people might actually enjoy.

23. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 15:34 Warskull

ASeven wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 13:21:
Beamer wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 13:14:
ASeven wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 12:30:
I'm more worried with THQ surviving one more year, period. THQ announced a few days ago it closed its dev houses in Spain and another country and it's now being hit by multiple class action lawsuits related to uDraw.

I don't think THQ can last much longer, not leaking money like this and getting hit with expensive lawsuits to boot.

Which is a shame, as its last ditch hail mary has been to hire a guy as CEO that is genuinely a good, employee-and-consumer first guy. If anyone would foster good studios and innovative games it's him.
But it may be way too late.

A sad case of too little, too late. They've even sold some of their main IP like UFC as well. Selling IP is a huge red flag, it pretty much tells THQ is in dire straits.

Honestly, if THQ survives until the end of this year it will be a miracle. Unless the new CEO pulls a rabbit out of his ass I can't see THQ being saved at this point.

You know what the worst thing is, when the company inevitable fails they'll blame his humane treatment of employees and customer focused attitude using it as evidence that EA and Activision's models are better. Completely ignoring how THQ got into this predicament in the first place.

22. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 15:26 SectorEffector

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 14:19:
Lolwut, some people may have liked SR3 better than GTA IV, but I've never heard of anyone saying it's realistic. You set yourself up for disappointment by somehow getting that idea. The whole point is the over-the-top, out-of-left-field action sequences.

I was looking forward to this expansion, but I guess if they want to take more time to make it into a sequel, that's cool. If it ends up releasing late 2013 that won't be too bad, and chances are it will be available for 30-40% off (before release, thank you GMG) like the last one was anyway.

that and I never said I thought it was realistic, I was expecting fun. Believe me I knew about the falling from the plane level etc, and never expected realism.

But.

just like how most FPS's these days feel LESS fun then Turok 2 on the sheer account that Turoks weapons felt awesome when you blew a hole through an enemies chest with a double barreled shotgun.

Saints Row could be wholly unrealistic and ridiculous but if the guns feel like a bad third person game then i have no desire to play much when the entire game involves guns.

I go shooting all the time and with a couple fancy home built rifles and nothing sucks more then when I want to escape reality and shoot a gun in game and it feels wonky.

21. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 14:43 SectorEffector

SectorEffector wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 14:41:
Realism or not the guns just need to be fun, I loved painkillers weapons.. hardly a game of realism. It just feels like they pack a good wallop .

20. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 14:41 SectorEffector

Realism or not the guns just need to be fun, I loved painkiller annoys hardly a game of realism. It just feels like they pack a good wallop .  

19. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 14:27 nin

(before release, thank you GMG)

Yeah, that was a hell of a deal. DX, too...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

18. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 14:19 jacobvandy

17. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 14:10 SectorEffector

Took the risk because everyone was saying GTA 4 was so much worse compared to SR3. Now i completely disagree with that crowd. This game felt far too hokey, the guns felt awful, the distorted bullet trail on guns and the sheer inability for this game to convey weight correctly made it even worse. i always hear the "cutscene, drive, then shoot.. Then cutscene complaint". Which can almost apply to a lot of great games so I ignore those comments. Also SR3 started to lose me at fighting the entire army and I'm gettin shot at from 60 people and the firefight feels like I'm playing that horrible rockstar game State of Emergency.

Yea gta was not optimized but when you take a 12 gauge to a drivers windshield it feels fucking cinematic. I'm sure saints row is fun but to me I like to be grounded in some millionth of a hit of realism. I still stand by gta and red dead redemption. If gta runs like max Payne 3 then the next game will rock.

Just saying I prefer a bit more realism and more of a simulation feel where saints row had a old school wacky video game feel. I'm sure of that's what you want, then SR3 is great.

Graphics are awesome and the engine is crisp though

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2012, 14:20.

16. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 13:21 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 13:14:
I'm more worried with THQ surviving one more year, period. THQ announced a few days ago it closed its dev houses in Spain and another country and it's now being hit by multiple class action lawsuits related to uDraw.

I don't think THQ can last much longer, not leaking money like this and getting hit with expensive lawsuits to boot.

Which is a shame, as its last ditch hail mary has been to hire a guy as CEO that is genuinely a good, employee-and-consumer first guy. If anyone would foster good studios and innovative games it's him.

A sad case of too little, too late. They've even sold some of their main IP like UFC as well. Selling IP is a huge red flag, it pretty much tells THQ is in dire straits.

Honestly, if THQ survives until the end of this year it will be a miracle. Unless the new CEO pulls a rabbit out of his ass I can't see THQ being saved at this point.

15. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 13:14 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Cancelled; Saints Row 4 Next Year Jun 20, 2012, 12:30 ASeven

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo