Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire

The European Diablo III Website announces the new version 1.0.3 patch is now live for the action/RPG sequel in Europe after yesterday's patch for the game in the Americas. They once again supply the complete patch notes. With the patch having settled in in the Americas, outrage over increased repair costs is growing, as there is this petition and this one looking to get Blizzard to address them.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

47. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 22:30 xXBatmanXx

So I fired up my level 20 WD, the one I figured I would never play - but had all of this gear for her to use in the next few levels. Well, glad I held onto it, as I am breezing through the game with this gear that I horded from other games.

Having fun testing out different builds, and think I will beat Diablo a lot earlier level than I did with the 3 other ones recently.

Now, with the update - not as much loot, obviously not as much gold. Kind of a bummer. No major hiccups yet. Forgot to check my DPS after the update on my main character, will do that later.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 22:27 xXBatmanXx

Sepharo wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 21:27:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 16:40:
<Diablo 2 launch issues>
I know you're all tired of hearing this but... The major difference of course is that you didn't have to play online with D2. Multiple patches and a couple of days of downtime? I didn't even know about it... Just happily played SP. Also the patches for D2 weren't made for the benefit of the "economy".

Blizzard could've seriously dulled these D3 complaints with a proper offline SP.

I disagree. THis is Bluesnews - and it is 2012.....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

45. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 21:35 Saboth

Repair costs? Nerfs? Drop rates? Woooweee...glad I never bought that cow. Sounds like the milk has gone bad. I'll use Krater to tide me over until Torchlight 2. This is why I soured on MMOs..constant nerfing and "balancing" ruining the game play. I don't need that crap in my single player games. Also, my internet has been spotting while the cable co is upgrading to docsis 3.0...nothing like random connection drops all day to make an online-only single player with save points game *totally blow*.

44. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 21:27 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 16:40:
<Diablo 2 launch issues>
I know you're all tired of hearing this but... The major difference of course is that you didn't have to play online with D2. Multiple patches and a couple of days of downtime? I didn't even know about it... Just happily played SP. Also the patches for D2 weren't made for the benefit of the "economy".

Blizzard could've seriously dulled these D3 complaints with a proper offline SP.

43. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 20:28 Julio

Taking a break from Diablo 3 now after trying out 1.0.3

-Drops were terrible before, even worse now. Nothing like getting one level 51 rare drop on inferno after killing five groups of named mobs

-Repair costs for hitting things/being hit are through the roof. I can use up to 80% of my gold collected just repairing gear. And I'm not including dying in that.

-Repair costs for dying are too high. Forcing everyone to play it safe removes a lot of the fun

Well I got my 100 hours in, so got my money's worth. I won't be surprised to see the player base die off quickly. Its pretty obvious the game is being tweaked to drive future gold sales on the RMAH.

42. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 18:47 Luke

Verno wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 13:13:
Normally your trolls don't even raise my amusement level Luke but I have to admit that "AHRPG" was pretty good

Almost as good as whoever posted that whole "Steam Sweatshop" thing when the announcement was made about Skyrim.

Funny in my eyes you trolls..well what ever

41. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 16:55 Dades

XxBatmanxX wrote:
It is all to fuzzy for me to remember this day:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/14885/diablo-ii-ships

But something tells me if we had forums going at the time, and you went forward from that date, you would see all sorts of hatred geared towards D2, they didn't fix everything with their first patch...or even 5th patch.

I don't think people are hating here, no idea what it was like back then. Your links are interesting reading, some SP bugs and many technical problems with battle.net itself that have more in common with the launch day woes of DIII. That's all fair, no one said Diablo II had a good launch and I remember what a chore it was even putting up with battle.net for a long time. Totally different stuff than what people are talking about here though related to design, loot and balance.

Diablo II wasn't perfect either but you'd hope Blizzard had more than enough time, resources and money to do better this time around.

And this a couple days later that indicates there were **GASP** A COUPLE DAYS DOWNTIME: (so all of those metacritic scores are off base, as the scores for d3 were all given in the first week - and the d2 ones were not....as they should indicate the same score with the same problems)

Very few companies had even created an online gaming network like battle.net so peoples demands were a lot different back then. People were damned mad anyway, they just didn't have a central place to voice that like Metacritic these days. I don't even remember Metacritic itself being around until after Diablo II launched. Fun looking back at the way the internet used to be though before everything was so commercialized though!

For the hell of it I searched your posts for Diablo and came up with stuff going back to 2005-2008 when you played it. One of my favorites was how you compared it to Two Worlds, that was a game I loved too I never did play the second one, one of these days.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2012, 17:28.

40. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 16:40 xXBatmanXx

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 15:48:
The worst part is some fucking idiot developer was thinking about the loot system and completely ignored the fact that, even to this day, Diablo 2 players are still happily doing Baal/Meph/Pindle runs and trading items whereas this shitbird loot model has everyone up in arms a little over a month from release.

They're just too ignorant to realize what worked.

Consider me a new member of the 'waiting for Guild Wars 2' club from this point on...

It is all to fuzzy for me to remember this day:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/14885/diablo-ii-ships

But something tells me if we had forums going at the time, and you went forward from that date, you would see all sorts of hatred geared towards D2, they didn't fix everything with their first patch...or even 5th patch.

I get it, some of the hatred is warranted, but some is just misguided. Probably best to put it down for a few patches if you are going to have an aneurysm.

Just for fun, some other articles from that day:
Half-Life 1.1.0.1 Released
TRIBES 2 Q&A
Homeworld: Cataclysm Previews
3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 AGP video card - review

There is also this warning the following day:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/14935/diablo-ii-warning

Mentions of issues on launch day:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/14952/out-of-the-blue

Another warning a couple days after release:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/15064/diablo-ii-warning

Another update on the 6th of July that fixed some major issues:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/15158/diablo-ii-bugs
"we expect it to be online shortly. Most noticeably, the patch will fix a bug that causes single player characters to be deleted when a multi-player character of the same name is deleted. Additionally, the patch will fix a bug that prevents some players from finishing Act II."

A cool post from Looni
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/15236/fruit-of-the-loon

And 3 patches in 10 days:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/15304/diablo-ii-patch

There is a ton more info, and going through the archives for a few minutes was a lot of fun! (The sad part is I remember a lot of those stories!!!)

And one great link that just shows they aren't all that off form eachother:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/15479/battle-net-off-line

And this a couple days later that indicates there were **GASP** A COUPLE DAYS DOWNTIME: (so all of those metacritic scores are off base, as the scores for d3 were all given in the first week - and the d2 ones were not....as they should indicate the same score with the same problems)
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/15535/diablo-ii-status

This is the lingering effect of shutting down Blizzard North all those years ago.
**Looks at story just linked.....**
You sure about that?

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2012, 16:53.

39. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 16:33 Wallshadows

Yeah, I think Fion hit that right on the head.

Diablo II and Diablo III

This is the lingering effect of shutting down Blizzard North all those years ago.

38. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 16:01 Verno

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 15:48:
The worst part is some fucking idiot developer was thinking about the loot system and completely ignored the fact that, even to this day, Diablo 2 players are still happily doing Baal/Meph/Pindle runs and trading items whereas this shitbird loot model has everyone up in arms a little over a month from release.

Yeah. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Fion is right and they lost too many people from back then over the years and are now genuinely befuddled about what attracted people to it. The shell of the game is there but its hollow in several important ways.

In response to people pointing out some of the issues players are having with their design attitudes Bashiok responded "Diablo 3 is not a singleplayer game, changes will be made for balance and the economy" which is just frustrating because its like they're not even trying to understand. I think ultimately they either just don't get it or are overreacting to every little thing that could potentially interfere with the RMAH.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

37. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 15:57 Muscular Beaver

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 09:54:
I find it interesting how much of the D3 hate comes from the game being hard at high difficulties. Besides the always online stuff (which is indeed bullshit) the main complaints I've heard in the last 2 weeks are:

1) I can't get geared for inferno
2) I actually have to kill things to get loot, instead of smashing barrels
3) Dying is too expensive

Blizzard clearly telegraphed that inferno was supposed to be punishing and unfair but now it makes up the majority of complaints about the game. They probably should have just put a game over screen after you kill Hell Diablo and left it at that.

Simple: You cant avoid dying because this game is laggy as hell. If for example you have a mortar elite pack and try to stay in their deadzone (even with the newest change, but also need to keep moving because they chase you, there is no way be sure you wont get killed because the lag causes them to have like 10 yrds of melee attack range.

Now dying costs like 10 times as much and makes killing elite packs impossible.

I just quit this game.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

36. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 15:48 Wallshadows

Consider me a new member of the 'waiting for Guild Wars 2' club from this point on...

35. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 15:37 nin

I think the RM/AH pretty much ruined Diablo 3 for me.

Think I'm the same. I thought it wouldn't bother me, and I'd just ignore it, but after seeing it in action, and the prices for items, I think that was the last straw. I really want nothing to do with the game now.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

34. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 15:08 Fion

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 10:42:
nin wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 09:44:
What a stain D3 has become...

eh, I still hope they continue to fix things and get it right. D2 didn't get where it is overnight - lets hope they come around....

I'm not quite so hopeful as you are. All those great developers who made D2 such a successful and popular game through the years have long since jumped ship to form new companies of their own, like Arenanet.

The Blizzard we are left with today is a pale shadow of it's former self.

33. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 14:53 OpticNerve

Shelved the game for now. I think the RM/AH pretty much ruined Diablo 3 for me. Hopefully the expansion will make the game more interesting.

Blizzard wants money. Money is made from the RMAH. Blizzard will continue nerfing "exploits" (aka. fun) to get people to rely heavily on the RMAH. It's blatantly clear that everything going forward now is based on Blizzard forcing players (via WoW-like MMO nerfs) to run to the RMAH in order to have a chance at the end game (Inferno).

It's just so clear that two different teams worked on Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 and how the mindsets between the two games are completely different. It's also sad how D2 had much more advanced and fun gameplay involved than D3.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

32. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 14:41 Herzog

Luke wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 13:10:
Verno wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 11:06:
Take it to PMs ladies Gossip

I think the biggest shame of this patch has been that the Inferno changes were largely pretty good and they have been overshadowed by everything else. I don't like the pack changes as I don't think they did enough there, there are still many horrible pack affix/mob combos but at least Inferno itself is more doable for melee now. One of my friends literally couldn't farm by himself on his Barb, I would have to come into his game and help him all the time, I felt awful that he got pigeonholed so badly into a single crappy build. Now at least he can mess around with a 2H in Act 1 and do his own runs.

So far the patches have been two steps forward, one large step back and I hope with the next patch they ditch this attitude of nerfing anything "fun" that can be abused. Diablo is an ARPG first and foremost, they need to remember that.

Diablo is a AHRPG nothing more

If you originated that AHRPG nomenclature, props, because that probably has unfortunate staying power.

What business plan is Blizzard using with this franchise? I feel like the plan is convert as much gamer goodwill to profit as possible.

31. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 13:57 Alamar

Verno wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 13:17:
So. We're in completely defensive gear and builds, not getting drops and can't progress past Act 2. It's just horrible game design. I'm sure I could grind gold for a few days and go BACK to the AH and possibly buy some better gear, but honestly it's just not fun anymore. It's one thing to grind out Act 1-4 through all the difficulties, at least the scenery changes. Now we're stuck grinding Act 1 over and over, for seemingly no reward for our time. Bleh, I'm just done.

I'm really bummed to hear that dude, I know you're a pretty patient guy too. I don't know if its any help at this point but I might have some extra Barb gear on my DH. I agree that the game is pretty rough for melee though, it takes a massive investment on the AH just to do content that ranged can do in cheap, lower level gear.

I'm actually having a much easier time on my Barb than my Wiz... But then, gear is always an issue... on Monday, I could progress, slowly, on either, but wasn't doing enough to make it worth it... As of last night, I had a 'too easy' time on the Barb in the first half of Act II (with a few good, challenging fights'), and the second half is getting hard (I agree with the snakes comment earlier - was one of my harder combo's - most have been 0 to 1 death).

As for stats, I'm at 8.6k DPS base, 40k health, ~350 resists... Uhm... what else matters? Some elite/champ fights are long (Wrath helps), but a lot of them weren't a threat (30% revenge is fun to mash : ).

As for gear not dropping... I'm not sure what the 'better' alternative is... I've always hated farming for gear... especially in a system so random, but that aspect of the genre hasn't changed in 15 years... Maybe if they'd stuck with their one set of gear for Inferno, the implicit difficulty increases along the acts would have been better for a lot of people... Now that you have a single act to 'fully' gear up instead of an entire difficulty, it requires too much repetitition : )

-Alamar

30. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 13:49 Elessar

Thanks man, but I think I'm gonna put it down for now. Just a shame that the game is so dependent on a system that takes you out of the game and into an interface to get gear. Defeats the point of playing imo. I'd rather pay the iron price for my items. I hope Torchlight 2 itches my ARPG scratch now that D3 just made it itch more!  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

29. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 13:17 Verno

IT'S COOL TO HATE ON THE GAME SO KEEP IT UP!

Still having fun - but I guess that makes me a fanboi! Rolleyes
I don't agree with everything they did, but again, don't care. They will work it out. Glass half full kinda guy. Even if I quit playing the game, I have over 100 hours in the game, more than I can say for most $60.00 games. You aren't being honest if you say different.

Eh he was trolling man, low hanging fruit. I think everyone wants to have fun, that kind of goes without saying. Glad you are but apparently many aren't, I'm not sure telling them about it over and over is going to make them change their mind either. I agree that there is $60 of fun in there for anyone but obviously people were expecting a lot more after D2 and I can't really blame them, Blizzard is known for value after all. Personally I'm more interested in discussion on actual aspects of the game but apparently people just want to bitch at each other for having differing opinions

So. We're in completely defensive gear and builds, not getting drops and can't progress past Act 2. It's just horrible game design. I'm sure I could grind gold for a few days and go BACK to the AH and possibly buy some better gear, but honestly it's just not fun anymore. It's one thing to grind out Act 1-4 through all the difficulties, at least the scenery changes. Now we're stuck grinding Act 1 over and over, for seemingly no reward for our time. Bleh, I'm just done.

I'm really bummed to hear that dude, I know you're a pretty patient guy too. I don't know if its any help at this point but I might have some extra Barb gear on my DH. I agree that the game is pretty rough for melee though, it takes a massive investment on the AH just to do content that ranged can do in cheap, lower level gear.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2012, 13:54.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

28. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 13:16 Elessar

Verno wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 11:06:
Take it to PMs ladies Gossip

I think the biggest shame of this patch has been that the Inferno changes were largely pretty good and they have been overshadowed by everything else. I don't like the pack changes as I don't think they did enough there, there are still many horrible pack affix/mob combos but at least Inferno itself is more doable for melee now. One of my friends literally couldn't farm by himself on his Barb, I would have to come into his game and help him all the time, I felt awful that he got pigeonholed so badly into a single crappy build. Now at least he can mess around with a 2H in Act 1 and do his own runs.

So far the patches have been two steps forward, one large step back and I hope with the next patch they ditch this attitude of nerfing anything "fun" that can be abused. Diablo is an ARPG first and foremost, they need to remember that.
My buddy and I have Barbs and are at a complete standstill with Act 2, even with the recent patch. I reluctantly bought ilvl 61-62 gear from the AH with All Res, Vit and Str stats, but mostly sacrificing a ton of DPS (not fun). I say reluctantly because I'd much rather farm for gear, but after over a week of Butcher farming, still didn't receive upgrades to help me progress into Act 2. So using the AH, we're essentially as geared as we can be for a sub-millionaires and still get murdered in Act 2.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo