Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy solstice, as summer begins later today in the northern hemisphere, when winter will get underway in the southern. And in one of those bits of appropriate timing, the weather report calls for a heat wave all up and down the east coast of the U.S. today, and the forecast for my area calls for a high of 97 F and a heat index of 103. Happy summer!

Hot Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Boxhead - The Nightmare.
Photon Baby.
Links: 10 Video Games That Should Have Sequels.
Barry Jazz Finnegan - Pop Culture Photorealism Artist.
The 20 Funniest Tweets About Adam Carolla's Women Aren't Funny Quote.
Stories: 'Fringe' shakeup- Co-showrunner exits Fox drama. Thanks nin.
Media: Minecraft: Diamonds Are Forever.
Monsters University Official Teaser Trailer. Thanks nin.
Follow-up: Microbes Manipulate Your Mind. Thanks j.c.f.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2012, 22:48 Ant

I prefer cold weather over hot weather. See http://aqfl.net/node/8246 for a realed poll.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2012, 19:37 Sepharo

jdwohlever wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 18:03:
God, how I hate summer. With it's bugs, stifling humidity and heat. Give me sub zero temps and ice any day.

(Yes I'm a nerd, what's your point? ;)

How about none of those... Let's go with a nice 50-65F degree rainless Fall day. Hoodie weather. Football weather.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2012, 18:03 jdwohlever

God, how I hate summer. With it's bugs, stifling humidity and heat. Give me sub zero temps and ice any day.

(Yes I'm a nerd, what's your point? ;)

Xbox Live Ambassador (RET)
Founder of PERS0NA, a non-profit scientific paranormal investigation society
"American by Birth, Gamer by the Grace of God"

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 22:31 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 19:31:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 18:42:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 15:56:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 15:25:
kanniballl wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 13:54:
That sucks man. I hate just being OUTSIDE when it's 90+ and decent humidity... and I'm not carrying any gear let alone physically doing stuff and wearing a weapon belt, dark uniform, etc.

We joke "its a dry heat" as we have a Iraq Vet that is a partner of mine, he has a point, his gear was 100+ pounds in the sand and heat under the sun. heh. Not to fond of my heat sores/rash on my back though...sucks.

You ever try wearing an Under Armor t-shirt under your uniform? I used to chafe badly from wearing a holster and pack in the heat, but their compression shirts really helped. You'd think you would be hotter because you're wearing another shirt, but it sucks away the sweat and cools you off with the evaporation.

And I only mention them by name because I tried some cheaper brands and they sucked.

I use UA and Nike ones. They just come off soaked. It is the HEAT, and there is no good way to get rid of it. We wear our gear for 12 hours straight. If I am lucky I can strip down during lunch to dry out and change socks.

I am "lucky" some get covered neck to waist in the rash/red stuff. iish.

Doing physical work meself I tend to sweat a lot during busy periods so I always use the Gold Bond powder on my main areas that will chafe because of the sweat and find it helps a lot. Definitely give ye olde nether regions a solid dusting with it.

I don't chafe at all, it is just a matter of the skin being WAY TO HOT AND WAY TO MOIST for a long period of time.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 19:31 Cutter

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 18:42:
That sucks man. I hate just being OUTSIDE when it's 90+ and decent humidity... and I'm not carrying any gear let alone physically doing stuff and wearing a weapon belt, dark uniform, etc.

We joke "its a dry heat" as we have a Iraq Vet that is a partner of mine, he has a point, his gear was 100+ pounds in the sand and heat under the sun. heh. Not to fond of my heat sores/rash on my back though...sucks.

You ever try wearing an Under Armor t-shirt under your uniform? I used to chafe badly from wearing a holster and pack in the heat, but their compression shirts really helped. You'd think you would be hotter because you're wearing another shirt, but it sucks away the sweat and cools you off with the evaporation.

And I only mention them by name because I tried some cheaper brands and they sucked.

I use UA and Nike ones. They just come off soaked. It is the HEAT, and there is no good way to get rid of it. We wear our gear for 12 hours straight. If I am lucky I can strip down during lunch to dry out and change socks.

Doing physical work meself I tend to sweat a lot during busy periods so I always use the Gold Bond powder on my main areas that will chafe because of the sweat and find it helps a lot. Definitely give ye olde nether regions a solid dusting with it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 19:29 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 17:14:
Cutter wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 12:39:

With the exception of Grim Fandango that's the worst list I've ever seen. I haven't even heard of most of those games so obviously it's a console list. But yes, the two games I've always wanted to see follow-ups with are Grim Fandango and Outlaws.

Republic Commando and Psychonauts were also on PC, and were also pretty awesome. I wouldn't mind sequels to those.

And while Minecraft has a great concept it's just too fugly to deal with.

If you're turned on by the building aspects, but turned off by the graphics, maybe Starforge would be more interesting? It's like MC but with Unreal engine graphics.

Yeah, already poked around with it a bit, but it's way too early for my tastes. I do look forward to seeing what they do with it later on though.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 18:42 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 17:14 jdreyer

With the exception of Grim Fandango that's the worst list I've ever seen. I haven't even heard of most of those games so obviously it's a console list. But yes, the two games I've always wanted to see follow-ups with are Grim Fandango and Outlaws.

Republic Commando and Psychonauts were also on PC, and were also pretty awesome. I wouldn't mind sequels to those.

If you're turned on by the building aspects, but turned off by the graphics, maybe Starforge would be more interesting? It's like MC but with Unreal engine graphics.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 15:56 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 15:25 xXBatmanXx

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 15:09 sauron

Orogogus wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 12:51:
sauron wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 12:25:
Blue wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 11:13:
10 Video Games That Should Have Sequels.

Man, a sequel to Grim Fandango would be awesome. Are you listening, Tim Schaefer?

Strangely, it was Grim Fandango and not Quake 2 that convinced me to go out and get a real video card (Voodoo Banshee with whopping 16MB RAM!).

People keep asking for it, and I keep thinking it would be such a bad idea. The story was tied up well, and everything in the universe was basically there for the sake of Manny's plot. It feels like asking for a sequel to Casablanca or Gone With the Wind. What can anyone possibly expect out of it other than the worst kind of cash-in?

Well, Grim Fandango is all about the transition from life to death, but in a lot of cultures it's not a journey, it's a cycle. A sequel could explore the route from death to life.

If you complete the story successfully, Manny ends up as a baby in Mexico.

And his big-dog undead buddy gets reborn as a chihuahua.

Kittens!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 14:26 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 12:51:

Man, a sequel to Grim Fandango would be awesome. Are you listening, Tim Schaefer?

Strangely, it was Grim Fandango and not Quake 2 that convinced me to go out and get a real video card (Voodoo Banshee with whopping 16MB RAM!).

People keep asking for it, and I keep thinking it would be such a bad idea. The story was tied up well, and everything in the universe was basically there for the sake of Manny's plot. It feels like asking for a sequel to Casablanca or Gone With the Wind. What can anyone possibly expect out of it other than the worst kind of cash-in?

Technically a sequel doesn't have to be another plot about Manny, it could just be set in the same universe. But I think it would feel horribly "Oh yeah, this place. Been there, done that."

Some settings have one story in them, and once it's told, it's just done.

Creston

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 13:54 kanniballl

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 13:10 Agent.X7

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 10:57:
Cutter wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 10:42:
nin wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 09:40:
I fucking hate summer...

Yeah? Well I fucking love summer!

It's supposed to hit 95+ for us today and 105 with the humidex. Sweet!

Not much of a sit in the sun guy - don't do to well in the heat. It has been 90+ for the past 3-4 days and it is killing me. 40 pounds of gear in dark clothing does not make for a happy 12 hour work day....the dogs enjoyed it at the lake this weekend, but they aren't spending much time outside unless swimming.

Gonna be a scorcher of a summer if this keeps up!

But I thought you mostly worked at night, when the criminal element was most active. (Sorry, 40 lbs of gear and dark clothing + your name = mental image probably not close to your job.)

Don't mind the summer, but too much heat and humidity kills my stomach. But, I'm stuck inside my store 9-10 hours a day in the nice air conditioning, and my home office has a window AC unit. Not suffering from the heat too much yet. (Except the ride to work, whew! Helmets make me sweat!)

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2012, 13:17.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 12:51 Orogogus

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 12:39 Cutter

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 12:29 Verno

Bronco wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 11:53:
Is it that I'm just too old to 'get' Minecraft?

Seriously, my kids love it, purchased the PC client and the xbox client.

I watch them play and think - meh.

It's definitely not for everyone. If you're one of those people who looks at something and wonders what they can make out of it then it is a great game though. I built some pretty insane sky keeps with transit systems and stuff like that but I tend to sperge out for things like that.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 12:25 sauron

Kittens!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 11:58 nin

That depends - do legos still fascinate you? I've not had any in over 25 years, but when I see what people build with them (esp the star wars sets they sell), I still think they're awesome.

Having said that, I can't build shit in minecraft, but still think it's neat, and seeing what other people come up with is amazing (the monster traps that farm materials in particular). I guess I lack imagination. I'd love to find some sort of outside CAD type program to help me build, but what I tried (a google template for one of their apps) wasn't overly helpful...

In the end, it's a game about building...

edit: Here's one for you Bronco - http://youtu.be/LnjSWPxJxNs

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 11:57 mag

It's digital Lego bricks. When did you stop liking Lego? That's when you became too old for Minecraft.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo