Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale

As expected, MechWarrior Online Founders Packages are now on sale. The game is free-to-play, but each of the three packages includes in-game currency. Here are the three levels of participation:

$120 LEGENDARY Founder's Package Includes:

• All 4 exclusive “Founder's BattleMechs.” These Mechs include a lifetime, per-match C-Bill booster.
• $80 value of in-game currency* for in-game item purchases.
• Three-month premium account to MechWarrior Online at launch: Earn XP & C-Bills faster.
• Founder's Tag - sets your status apart from the crowd & get noticed in-game and on the forums.
• Game credits – The player’s name included as one of the “Legendary” in the MechWarrior Online game credits.
• Early access to the game along with Founder's assets availability starts August 7th.

$60 ELITE Founder's Package Includes:

• One exclusive custom “Founder's BattleMech.” This Mech includes a lifetime, per-match C-Bill booster.
• $80 value of in-game currency* for in-game item purchases.
• Two-month premium account to MechWarrior Online at launch: Earn XP & C-Bills faster.
• Founder's Tag - sets your status apart from the crowd & get noticed in-game and on the forums.
• Early access to the game along with Founder's assets availability starts August 7th.

$30 VETERAN Founder's Package Includes:

• $40 value of in-game currency* for in-game item purchases.
• One-month premium account to MechWarrior Online at launch: Earn XP & C-Bills faster.
• Early access to the game along with Founder’s assets availability starts August 7th.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 24, 2012, 05:54 Jerykk

This isn't to say it won't be fun, but it's grounded purely in adolescent fantasy. (this one actually reminds me a little bit of the feel of combat Shogo had in multiplayer, fast-action Mecha, deadly weapons...what's not to like?)

I'm pretty sure the concept of piloting giant robots falls under the realm of adolescent fantasy. Doesn't matter if it's Mechwarrior, Hawken, Armored Core, Front Mission, Evangelion, etc. Always cracks me up when people look down on eastern-style mecha fiction, as if western mecha fiction is even remotely realistic or mature. Giant, bipedal war machines are inherently silly. No weapons developer would ever design one because they're completely impractical. Take out a leg and the weapon is rendered useless. Factor in the amount of energy required just to move the legs and keep the thing balanced and you have vehicle that would be even more of a fuel hog than a tank. And if the mech loses its balance and falls down, good luck getting it back up.

I'm not saying that mech games are bad or anything. I love mechs. However, that doesn't change the fact that the concept is ludicrous.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 23, 2012, 18:30 m0deth

Draugr wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 02:00:
bhcompy wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 22:25:
I'm conflicted. I like MechWarrior, but Hawken looks like the mech game to play.
\

The comparisons between hawken and Mechwarrior ends at Giant robot....one of this is more of a simulator(traditionally anyway) and one of them is a FPS.

Agreed.

Hawken is in the vein of Anime styled mech combat....you know the kind that totally ignores momentum, gravity, inertia...yeah.
This isn't to say it won't be fun, but it's grounded purely in adolescent fantasy. (this one actually reminds me a little bit of the feel of combat Shogo had in multiplayer, fast-action Mecha, deadly weapons...what's not to like?)

Mechwarrior Online is trying hard to take the old Battletech IP, and make sense of it so folks can have fun brawling, take part in the meta-politics of that universe, and have the whole thing feel bigger in the end than any single player game could hope to accomplish.

Just some quick stats....to everyone's surprise...more Legendary packs have been sold than the others, and far more than expected in total. The Piranha guys have earned this respect and trust so far, they don't release useless info like some devs every ten seconds, and they don't pimp anything they aren't comfortable with yet.

46. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 23, 2012, 18:19 m0deth

But, instead, I'll just wait and see how things turn out...

Perhaps you missed the whole limited time thing. I will have to admit, it's not the clearest thing on the site. But I gotta tell ya, the wait and see attitude will only earn you paying full price when that time comes if need be.

As it is the prices aren't all that bad compared to other games, even some AAA MMO titles take far more cash from you in their monthly plans....I fail to see how this is too much?

I just wish they had made the whole offering more clear when first announced, the 3 tiers blindsided a bunch of folks who were saving up for this.

The way I look at it, we're not getting anything other than this, some mods, and mechwarrior:tactics...ugh...for the foreseeable future from this IP. It's worth it for some of us to keep it going. Litigation made perfectly certain what we all were to expect, would never happen...so here we are.

If you are a fan of the previous games, and you are not the usual casual player, these will be worth it, although I'm not sure the lowest package has much draw besides the notoriety really. For the casual fan, you won't need these, play as you will, earn what you want, and you will be perfectly happy. For those wanting the deeper experience, payment becomes an option, and unlike some games we all know...pay to win isn't the case here. I for one appreciate that and will reward it with honest investment.

45. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 21, 2012, 01:19 Wowbagger_TIP

Lokust wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 16:48:
I think if they had put up a kickstarter with donation packages in these three tiers a lot more people would be thinking it was cool. For some reason some folks think it's greedy of them to offer these directly. The legendary package is obviously not a great value, but represents an investment in the game - and being in the game's credits as such reflects that.

I don't have a problem with their business model, I just think their prices are too high for what you get. I might have been tempted to buy in now if they had been more reasonable. But, instead, I'll just wait and see how things turn out...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

44. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 22:29 RollinThundr

Orogogus wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 19:22:
Rea1One wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 19:16:
Stuff that im not even going to bother with this game anymore and just stick with Hawken & Planetside 2.

...those are both going to be free to play games, too, which are almost certainly going to have similar income streams.

The hypocrisy in this thread is just delicious. Like I keep saying. Gamers on the whole are generally the most hypocritical douches.

43. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 19:22 Orogogus

Rea1One wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 19:16:
Stuff that im not even going to bother with this game anymore and just stick with Hawken & Planetside 2.

...those are both going to be free to play games, too, which are almost certainly going to have similar income streams.

42. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 19:16 Rea1One

41. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 16:48 Lokust

I think if they had put up a kickstarter with donation packages in these three tiers a lot more people would be thinking it was cool. For some reason some folks think it's greedy of them to offer these directly. The legendary package is obviously not a great value, but represents an investment in the game - and being in the game's credits as such reflects that.  

40. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 15:29 Orogogus

People get the same bonuses over other players by virtue of playing more often. And the same thing happens in Planetside 2, at least according to the Wikipedia article, which describes certs and skills unlocked over time like (I think) Eve Online. It hardly seems like an even playing field unless there are no unlocks whatsoever.  

39. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 15:19 theyarecomingforyou

As I said, I simply have no interest in F2P games that reward those that pay with gameplay perks. I find XP/unlock systems to be a tedious form of gameplay. I have no problem with charging for cosmetic perks though, which is exactly what Valve is doing with Dota 2.

F2P has little interest to me. I am happy to pay for a game knowing that if I play against others I'm on an equal playing field. As soon as you allow people to pay to unlock XP and money quicker you throw balance out the window. The very fact that the top tier is $120 speaks volumes and it's what pissed me off about Age Of Empires Online.

If you're happy to play against other people that are paying for an advantage over you then that's fine. But that shit isn't for me.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

38. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 09:23 RollinThundr

Jack9 wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 06:09:
RollinThundr wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 00:33:
I don't know what the fuck a C-Bill is but I'm sure it helps you kill shit better.

C-bills are a currency. This means will clearly translate to a silver coin boost in HoN. Lemme tell you, at 3k coins per "custom avatar", no basic 2% or 10% boost will mean anything. Any % boost can be trivialized by large enough scale or "optional currency". So you're inexperienced, trolling, or legitimately stupid. These strung together concepts are not guesses, they are the landscape of modern gaming.

Um might want to quote the right person there. I know what a Cbill is thx.

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 07:24:
Surely unlocking mechs would give you an advantage, along with the exclusive mechs? And if XP allows you to unlock additional weapons then those that pay would again be getting an advantage. If the perks were entirely cosmetic that would be an entirely different affair, though they would have already stated that (just like Valve did when announcing that Dota2 was F2P). We've seen the same shit enough times to know exactly how it's going to play out. At the end of the day I'm really not a fan of games that feature XP and unlocks, outside of RPGs like Diablo III - I found it annoying in BF2, in COD, etc. It's bizarre that you'd give advantages to those that are better or play more often, as that only increases the difficulty for newcomers - it's completely contrary.

Valve is the only company to have done F2P play in a decent way. If MWO was a pay-for game then I might have been interested, but I'm not a fan of this kiddy ADHD unlocks/XP nonsense.

The game isn't in any way shape of form P2W. Making the grind easier to purchase new mechs with a little extra XP or Cbills per match isn't going to make your lasers pew pew any better or make you a skilled assault mech pilot, buying a big shiny mech quicker than someone who doesn't chip cash in doesn't mean he isn't going to out manuver you in a light and kick the shit out of you.

You should prolly have some sort of clue before talking some bullshit.

37. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 07:42 Beamer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 07:24:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 03:07:
That said, all of you making accusations of P2W are basing it on nothing really. The only info we have shows that you'll earn XP/C-Bills faster, so you can unlock different mechs and such.

Haven't seen anything that would actually give you an advantage in the game, and not one of you has pointed to any actual evidence of that.
Surely unlocking mechs would give you an advantage, along with the exclusive mechs? And if XP allows you to unlock additional weapons then those that pay would again be getting an advantage. If the perks were entirely cosmetic that would be an entirely different affair, though they would have already stated that (just like Valve did when announcing that Dota2 was F2P). We've seen the same shit enough times to know exactly how it's going to play out. At the end of the day I'm really not a fan of games that feature XP and unlocks, outside of RPGs like Diablo III - I found it annoying in BF2, in COD, etc. It's bizarre that you'd give advantages to those that are better or play more often, as that only increases the difficulty for newcomers - it's completely contrary.

Valve is the only company to have done F2P play in a decent way. If MWO was a pay-for game then I might have been interested, but I'm not a fan of this kiddy ADHD unlocks/XP nonsense.

Leveling faster and cosmetic mechs isn't pay to win, though. If it was then there'd pretty much be no f2p economy because that basically takes the entire f2p business model and accuses it of being pay to win.

Pay to win is being able to pay money for super weapons that replace skill. Paying to replace grind? Who cares, so long as the grind isn't artificially lengthened to entice payment. Paying to replace skill? That's pay to win.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

36. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 07:24 theyarecomingforyou

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 03:07:
That said, all of you making accusations of P2W are basing it on nothing really. The only info we have shows that you'll earn XP/C-Bills faster, so you can unlock different mechs and such.

Haven't seen anything that would actually give you an advantage in the game, and not one of you has pointed to any actual evidence of that.

35. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 06:09 Jack9

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 00:33:
I don't know what the fuck a C-Bill is but I'm sure it helps you kill shit better.

C-bills are a currency. This means will clearly translate to a silver coin boost in HoN. Lemme tell you, at 3k coins per "custom avatar", no basic 2% or 10% boost will mean anything. Any % boost can be trivialized by large enough scale or "optional currency". So you're inexperienced, trolling, or legitimately stupid. These strung together concepts are not guesses, they are the landscape of modern gaming.

34. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 03:07 Wowbagger_TIP

I have no idea if I'll actually like the game or not. I'm going to wait and see how it turns out. That said, all of you making accusations of P2W are basing it on nothing really. The only info we have shows that you'll earn XP/C-Bills faster, so you can unlock different mechs and such.

Just wanted to point that out.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

33. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 02:29 theyarecomingforyou

This is why I hate "free-to-play" games. They are fundamentally unbalanced (i.e. the 4 exclusive mechs, earn XP / in-game money faster), end up more expensive ($120 for three months premium access... seriously?) and tend to have lower production quality. Those that pay nothing end up with a shitty experience, while those that pay only end up with a slightly less shitty experience than those willing to pay considerably more.

I loved the old MechWarrior games but I'm not interested in this piece of shit.

32. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 02:09 Kastagir

DangerDog wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 00:07:
Microsoft obviously isn't happy about EA winning that worst company ever award.

What does this have to do with Microsoft? Microsoft shut down FASA in 2007. This game is being developed by Piranha Games and published by Infinite Game Publishing.

31. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 02:04 Fletch

Rip-off. I'm going to fire up MechWarrior 2 this weekend. Sorry to see such a great franchise go down the shitter like this. F2P and P2W must die.  

30. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 02:04 1badmf

just don't get the hate. sure there's no SP, but we've known that for a long time. this is purely for those of us out for an awesome stompy robot fix, and as far as i'm concerned this is heaven.

and i highly doubt this is P2W; if it's as much like WOT as all of you are claiming, the money just helps you increase variety, not firepower. the leveling system hasn't even been revealed yet, so any accusations of P2W are completely baseless.

29. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 20, 2012, 02:00 Draugr

bhcompy wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 22:25:
I'm conflicted. I like MechWarrior, but Hawken looks like the mech game to play.
\

The comparisons between hawken and Mechwarrior ends at Giant robot....one of this is more of a simulator(traditionally anyway) and one of them is a FPS.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo