Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2012, 17:29 Creston

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 17:23:
How'd you manage that? My effective tax rate is 17.6% for federal income taxes, and that's not even accounting for sales tax, property tax, etc.

I have a good accountant? I dunno, that's what my tax thingy says.

Obviously this does not include sales tax, but that's 8.5% in OK, compared to 21% in Holland, so I'm not that worried about it. And I doubt it includes property tax, but for the 1700 bucks I pay in property tax, I get to deduct like 11.5 grand in mortgage interest, so that probably comes out nicely in my favor.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2012, 17:23 Wowbagger_TIP

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 15:09:
Cutter wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 13:44:
So although GMR is "certified for use," the Army doesn't actually want to use it. And the system isn’t done costing the government money. While the Army waited years for GMR, it spent $11 billion more on “legacy” radios based on technology from the Cold War. As Ward pointed out, the Army may yet pay billions more to get the radios it actually needs—just as the war in Afghanistan is winding down.

It never ceases to amaze the rest of the world how the American taxpayer continues to let themselves get fleeced by the military-industrial complex. Simply boggles the mind.

Well, maybe because here my effective tax rate for last year (for both me and my wife) was 9.84%, and when I lived back in Holland my effective tax rate was 38%.

Yeah, the government is wasting money, but they do that everywhere. At least here they have LESS of my money to waste...

Creston
How'd you manage that? My effective tax rate is 17.6% for federal income taxes, and that's not even accounting for sales tax, property tax, etc.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2012, 15:09 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 13:44:
So although GMR is "certified for use," the Army doesn't actually want to use it. And the system isn’t done costing the government money. While the Army waited years for GMR, it spent $11 billion more on “legacy” radios based on technology from the Cold War. As Ward pointed out, the Army may yet pay billions more to get the radios it actually needs—just as the war in Afghanistan is winding down.

It never ceases to amaze the rest of the world how the American taxpayer continues to let themselves get fleeced by the military-industrial complex. Simply boggles the mind.

Well, maybe because here my effective tax rate for last year (for both me and my wife) was 9.84%, and when I lived back in Holland my effective tax rate was 38%.

Yeah, the government is wasting money, but they do that everywhere. At least here they have LESS of my money to waste...

Creston

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2012, 13:44 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: How to blow 6 billion on a tech project Jun 19, 2012, 11:38 Creston

Technically it was money spent by the DoD, which is sort of this government/military hybrid.

Creston

2. Re: How to blow 6 billion on a tech project Jun 19, 2012, 11:18 TheLeech

Correction: Give it to the military.  

1. How to blow 6 billion on a tech project Jun 19, 2012, 10:32 Creston

-> Give it to the government?

Edit: YUP, called it!

Creston

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >