Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Through process of elimination, we have determined pretty clearly that the Gunnar-man's indoor peeing episodes are not medical and are some sort of message. Yesterday he left a small puddle as I had to run a half-hour errand immediately after a walk, and it basically seems like he's showing his displeasure at being left behind, though maybe he's just claiming territory he feels we've abandoned. This has me wondering if he needs to be re-acquainted with crate training, which seems like the obvious solution to this, except for my twitch-inducing memory of just how horribly it went when we tried to crate him as a puppy, as he threw himself against the door for hours until we simply gave up (and yes, that may be part of how we ended up in this predicament). What can I say? He's always been amusing, and now he's a pisser.

Pisser Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: The Aquatory Games.
Zombotron 2.
Links: The Final Night at Snow White’s Scary Adventures.
The Barbecue Grill Briefcase.
Stories: Wuff! Wuff! Arsenio Hall is Returning to Late-Night TV.
Vandalism of Picasso painting caught on video.
Hebrew National hot dogs not kosher, lawsuit claims.
Science: Science gets burned by Prometheus. *Spoilers*.
Media: Roller Coaster Tycoon Disaster.
The Dark Knight Rises - Exclusive Nokia Trailer Debut. Thanks Fantaz.
This Dog Wants To Play With That Penguin.
The Funnies: Cyanide & Happiness.
Follow-up: Yet another study confirms global warming is human-caused.
Studies of Human Microbiome Yield New Insights.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 12:29 Matshock

mag wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 12:02:
Matshock wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 18:08:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 17:40:
I don't really get why people are so surprised that having 700+ million gas-burning cars, hundreds of millions of heated homes, an untold number of factories, hundreds of thousands of acres of pavement, heavy deforestation, etc. might possibly upset/change things on a planetary scale.

I don't really get how people think that the giant billion-year old fusion reaction that we are stuck in orbit around couldn't have far more intense effects on our climate than our surface activity does.

For the record, CO2 isn't brown and there hasn't been acid rain in the USA for decades. I'm all for the equal protection of health and property but giving any government absolute power to regulate CO2 is to give them absolute power over EVERYTHING THAT BREATHES.

I'll continue to contemplate this next time I run 4 miles or bike 12 in smoggy Las Vegas yet seem to feel just fine.

We monitor solar output. I don't know why all of the armchair scientists think that they're the first ones to ever think of "Oh my god! You know what else could warm the planet? THE GIANT BALL OF FIRE IN THE SKY! I am so much smarter than everyone!"

The article in question made no mention that solar activity was accounted for in the model that "proves man-made GW".

Monitoring solar output and modeling solar output's effect on climate are two different things as well.

Wise up little drones, your public education is about to come crashing down on you- ask the Greeks today and tomorrow ask the "most green" industrialized economy in Europe- Spain.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 12:02 mag

I don't really get why people are so surprised that having 700+ million gas-burning cars, hundreds of millions of heated homes, an untold number of factories, hundreds of thousands of acres of pavement, heavy deforestation, etc. might possibly upset/change things on a planetary scale.

I don't really get how people think that the giant billion-year old fusion reaction that we are stuck in orbit around couldn't have far more intense effects on our climate than our surface activity does.

For the record, CO2 isn't brown and there hasn't been acid rain in the USA for decades. I'm all for the equal protection of health and property but giving any government absolute power to regulate CO2 is to give them absolute power over EVERYTHING THAT BREATHES.

I'll continue to contemplate this next time I run 4 miles or bike 12 in smoggy Las Vegas yet seem to feel just fine.

We monitor solar output. I don't know why all of the armchair scientists think that they're the first ones to ever think of "Oh my god! You know what else could warm the planet? THE GIANT BALL OF FIRE IN THE SKY! I am so much smarter than everyone!"

35. Re: Late to the part Jun 20, 2012, 08:51 nin

I only had 5 minutes to play with it last night but it looks like my Razer mouse was causing the issue. I disabled the acceleration via the Razer GUI and it looks like the UI is now acting appropriately.

Ahhhh...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

34. Late to the part Jun 20, 2012, 08:26 Bronco

I only had 5 minutes to play with it last night but it looks like my Razer mouse was causing the issue. I disabled the acceleration via the Razer GUI and it looks like the UI is now acting appropriately.

Now maybe I can actually play the game.

Thanks again.

-TPFKAS2S

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 21:00 PhysicalEd

"Cooler! 20 days."

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 19:55 Sepharo

Saw Prometheus with my faja on Faja's Day. I liked it a lot, as long as I'm not comparing it to Alien. I did feel that they tried to shoehorn way too many references to that series though. Made it predictable when new stuff should've been happening instead. Other than that though it was a beautiful sci-fi with gross/bio-horror.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 19:34 Cutter

As I've always said, regardless of the reality of global warming, man certainly isn't helping the situation. And at the very least how can anyone argue against having a cleaner, healthier planet to live on?

Anyway, that aside, just got back from Prometheus. I'm pretty much feeling like everyone else. Wasn't bad, wasn't as good as I thought, but it was just ok. Really not up to standards that I hold Ridley - my favourite director - to. And yeah Fassbender was awesome as always. I also especially liked Irdis' character as the captain. I think they should have utilized him more.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 18:46 jdreyer

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 18:20:
Seriously, dinosaurs ruled the Earth for millions of years, and climate change took them out. Pretty sure they didn't have cars, electricity, nuclear power, or any of our modern trappings. Whether you believe it was an asteroid or the natural warming/cooling cycle of the Earth, or dinosaur jesus rapture, there wasn't a damn thing they could have done.

This is a logical fallacy (a phrase you are fond of). Just because there were natural causes to global warming in the past doesn't mean that there aren't artificial causes happening now.

Do I think we should pollute all we want? Hell no! But we could focus on, oh, I don't know, kicking the shit out of oil companies that fuck up the oceans over playing chicken little with the weather.

Completely agree, but it's all connected. The oil companies fund all the anti-GW astroturf organizations and resist all attempts are regulation.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 18:45 Matshock

jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 18:35:
*wall of text*

Do you think China or India or most of SE Asia or the Middle East or Russia or Eastern Europe provides "accurate enough" data? Really?

I have some carbon credits you should look at buying.

I didn't say industry/fossil fuels have no effect either. Since you can't read/comprehend this I may be wasting my time anyway.

Here is what I propose: if the governments funding man-made GW/climate research stop attempting to tax/regulate/criminalize PEOPLE WORKING and instead focus 100% on making non-fossil/renewable fuels COMPETITIVE WITHOUT PUNITIVE MEASURES I will listen to them. Until then Sic Semper Tyranis.

Take care- I'm done here.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 18:40 jdreyer

A sample size of one is not statistically viable. It's anecdotal evidence.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 18:39 nin

Lol. Yes, let's throw all the shit into space. Because that won't come back and butt hump us without lube in the future.

No worries, that won't happen until sometime after the year 3000, in the city of New New York.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 18:35 jdreyer

Are you guys trolling, or just ignorant?

Matshock wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 11:47:
Hey, global warming "scientists"- a model based subtracting an inaccurate estimate of the volume of greenhouse gasses people are generating in the atmosphere isn't a control set. Try again.

The amount of greenhouse gases, based on all kinds of hard data including census, mining, and observable data is accurate enough. Could it be better? Sure, and it's always improving, but there's no denying that man has added hundreds of billions of tons of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere over the past couple of centuries. That's good enough for this analysis.

Made up data in the "control" set- or they cracked the code for a global-scale system in which case they proved that changes in solar activity doesn't affect climate at all.

Solar activity has had very little effect on the current warming trend. That's a myth propagated to obfuscate the truth.

They apparently don't even care anymore as long as the printed grant money keeps flowing.

Energy companies are the most profitable in the world, occupying spots 1, 2, 13, and 26 on the list. If they wanted money, they'd go work for the energy companies who would provide them millions to the thousands they currently get, yet 98% find that the products those companies produce are contributing to global warming. Also, the "Scientists just do it for the money" meme has been thoroughly debunked here.

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 12:29:
I had the same reaction. Man-caused Global Warming is a religion anymore. Either you believe and swallow all their non-science and logical fallacies, or you are a heathen Earth-hater.

"It's a conspiracy! They're lying to us!" Occam's razor: 10,000 scientists are colluding and have an omerta stronger than the Mafia itself, or the research is correct at face value until it is disproven. Which is more likely?

Matshock wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 13:03:
The sad thing is that it might even be true- but when the people funding the research are the people taxing us based on the outcome of the research we'll never find out.

Of course it's "true" inasmuch as the Newton's theory of gravity or Einstein's theory of relativity are true. True until disproven, which has not happened yet, despite thousands of attempts.

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 13:22:
Exactly. People get mad when I say I don't believe it's true. I tell them that it's not that I don't believe it might be possible, but it's that we have ZERO hard data that proves it. We have speculation and "studies" - most of which are not scientific in the least. There are so many "scientists" out there who forget exactly how science is supposed to work.

I get bombarded daily by a customer who prints out articles that "prove" global warming is caused by man. He is determined to "convert" me. I tell him he is more annoying than a Jehovah's witness. Apparently he thinks I am joking.

What you're saying here is "I'm not going to believe I will be injured or die if the car hits the wall, so I'm not going to slow down. I'm going to wait until I hit the wall and see what happens. Oh, and since scientists can't exactly predict how badly injured or dead I'll be, I won't believe them."

It's fine to use your faculties to assess a peer-reviewed empirical study in one of the most prestigious scientific journals in the world, but after the 1000th such study in support of the theory, you're beating a living horse. Seriously, if you don't believe in science, stop driving and ride that horse. Stop using a computer and count beans. Stop going to the doctor and use leeches. Science is the same regardless of discipline. A rejection of the science of global warming is a rejection of all science.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 18:25 Orogogus

As far as that goes, Venus is hotter than Mercury despite being much farther from the sun, because of its atmosphere. It's not like surface activity does nothing.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 18:20 Agent.X7

Gruntstein wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 14:06:
Regardless of the cause, we really need to stop shitting where we eat, sleep and breath.
Lol. Yes, let's throw all the shit into space. Because that won't come back and butt hump us without lube in the future.

Seriously, dinosaurs ruled the Earth for millions of years, and climate change took them out. Pretty sure they didn't have cars, electricity, nuclear power, or any of our modern trappings. Whether you believe it was an asteroid or the natural warming/cooling cycle of the Earth, or dinosaur jesus rapture, there wasn't a damn thing they could have done.

Do I think we should pollute all we want? Hell no! But we could focus on, oh, I don't know, kicking the shit out of oil companies that fuck up the oceans over playing chicken little with the weather.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 18:08 Matshock

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 17:55 jdreyer

They're not surprised SA. They think it has no effect.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 17:40 Silicon Avatar

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 15:12 Creston

Hoop wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 15:04:
I know crating worked for me, .... that & the electric shocks to my nads.

Rotfl

Creston

19. Re: Late to the Party Jun 19, 2012, 15:11 Creston

Bronco wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 13:09:
I worry about posting to technical forums about stuff like this that was probably resolved months ago - fear of being outed as the noob I am I guess.

Thanks again to all of you.

Nah, the Skyrim forums are pretty decent. I had a crash issue that I couldn't figure out, and they helped me track down the mod which was causing it.

But if you need more help, just holla.

Creston

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 15:04 Hoop

I know crating worked for me, .... that & the electric shocks to my nads.

Um .. Behind you...

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo