Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow

A recent Official Developer Update for MechWarrior Online discusses where beta testing stands for the upcoming mech combat game, saying keys for the test are being sent out, and that tomorrow they will launch a founder's program that will guarantee entrance into the beta. Piranha Games also now offers system specifications (thanks Softpedia via Zarkonis), though they also warn the minimum may be too minimal at this time:

MechWarrior Online Minimum System Spec:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz / Athlon II X2 245e
GPU: GeForce 8800GT / Radeon HD 5600/5700
RAM: 4 GB
DirectX: DX9
HDD Space: 4 GB

MechWarrior Online Recommended System Spec:

CPU: Core i3-2500 / AMD Athlon II X4 650
GPU: GeForce GTX 285 / Radeon HD 5830
RAM: 8 GB
DirectX: DX9
HDD Space: 4 GB

Right now a duo core system is our minimum spec machine but it is also our main focus of concern. It is playable on those specifications and I have tested it myself but it is currently very much a minimum spec type of experience running on low-detail settings. It’s obvious that a Quad core system is the key as even the earliest Core 2 Quad systems run the game very well and it is our goal (since there are still so many out there), to optimize the Core 2 Duo systems to run much faster.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 19:23 Orogogus

Well, yes, if he had said "pay to win" then I think we would have glossed over it. But there seems to be a misconception that you have to buy the client, which is correctable rather than something to argue back and forth over endlessly.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 19:15 Hump

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 17:29:
Kastagir wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 13:56:
That's like saying that people should buy a game solely for the multi-player when a single player campaign is provided. I'm sure there are many who bought games like SC2 with this in mind, but I'm not one of them. F2P or not, I still have to buy the game, and I'm not a fan of multiplayer-only games. So I'm not sure there will be much interest for someone like me.

I think you're confusing F2P with non-subscription, like Guild Wars. F2P doesn't cost you anything to play. You don't buy the game, you don't pay a subscription, you just buy stuff from their shop if you want, but it's not required. Perfect system for trying out a game.

Don't bother. You can talk until you die of old age and the anti- F2P people (ITS MEANS PAY-2-WIN MAAAANNNN!) know everything even before a product is launched. Kind of amazing when you think about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

23. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 17:29 Wowbagger_TIP

Kastagir wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 13:56:
That's like saying that people should buy a game solely for the multi-player when a single player campaign is provided. I'm sure there are many who bought games like SC2 with this in mind, but I'm not one of them. F2P or not, I still have to buy the game, and I'm not a fan of multiplayer-only games. So I'm not sure there will be much interest for someone like me.

I think you're confusing F2P with non-subscription, like Guild Wars. F2P doesn't cost you anything to play. You don't buy the game, you don't pay a subscription, you just buy stuff from their shop if you want, but it's not required. Perfect system for trying out a game.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

22. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 14:49 RollinThundr

Shataan wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 12:34:
I think someones nose is starting to grow. ;p But whatever you say man.

I'm gonna lie about being in a beta for a f2p game of all things? okie dokie sweetheart whatever you say dear. Dizzy

21. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 14:03 Orogogus

I think MWO is the kind of F2P where you don't have to buy the game, it's a free download. Like World of Tanks or Tribes: Ascend.  

20. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 13:56 Kastagir

Jerykk wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 01:38:
Kastagir wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 00:05:
The GTX 285 is an odd choice for the recommended specs given how low-yield that part was. As I recall, it was also one of the first models in the Nvidia lineup to offer 2GB of VRAM instead of the standard 1GB.

And I agree: the lack of a SP campaign is not going to help sales. Even a short series of scenarios that serve as a tutorial would be better than nothing. Without anything like this, I doubt I'd pick this up.

You are aware that this is a F2P game, yes? There's no harm in just trying it. If the game does well, maybe the devs will work on a SP Mechwarrior game.

Also, 4 gigs of RAM minimum? Does this game use 4096x4096 textures or something?

19. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 12:34 Shataan

I think someones nose is starting to grow. ;p But whatever you say man.  

18. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 09:25 RollinThundr

Shataan wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 09:14:
*cough*Bullshitter*cough*cough* ;p

The forum has no nda notices, nor did the client or beta invite email. Fuck it, get yer own beta for impressions then.

17. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 09:14 Shataan

*cough*Bullshitter*cough*cough* ;p  

16. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 08:48 RollinThundr

1badmf wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 02:06:
breaking NDA much?

As far as I've seen there isn't an NDA.

15. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 05:40 theyarecomingforyou

xornand wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 00:15:
Why are they recommending 8 GB of RAM?
I thought Win 7 x64 would only use about 6 GB at the most for any game.
If a game is compiled in 64bit with 'IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE set' then it has access to a maximum of 8TB of RAM with Windows Vista x64 and above. Having said that, very few games are encoded for 64bit and I'd be surprised if MechWarrior Online was one of them. More likely is that the extra memory improves performance by not taking it away from the operating system. However, I really do hope games start moving to 64bit executables soon as the 4GB limit for 32bit applications on x64 systems is pretty low.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

14. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 04:07 Scud

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 01:07:
Cutter wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 22:33:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 22:17:
I dunno. Hard to get excited without a campaign to play through either SP or Coop.

It'd be cool if they could weave some story arcs into stuff. Anyway, sitll waiting for my key!

packages like zoom and CASE etc.

Yeah, it really doesn't matter if it's F2P or not for me, because I have zero interest in multiplayer. Give me some decent SP gameplay and I'll happily tell you to shut up and take my money.
I have no idea what kind of electronics package "zoom" is but I'm pretty sure that CASE stands for Cellular Ammunition Storage Equipment, and is not an electronic warfare package.

13. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 02:06 1badmf

breaking NDA much?  

12. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 01:38 Jerykk

Kastagir wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 00:05:
The GTX 285 is an odd choice for the recommended specs given how low-yield that part was. As I recall, it was also one of the first models in the Nvidia lineup to offer 2GB of VRAM instead of the standard 1GB.

And I agree: the lack of a SP campaign is not going to help sales. Even a short series of scenarios that serve as a tutorial would be better than nothing. Without anything like this, I doubt I'd pick this up.

You are aware that this is a F2P game, yes? There's no harm in just trying it. If the game does well, maybe the devs will work on a SP Mechwarrior game.

Also, 4 gigs of RAM minimum? Does this game use 4096x4096 textures or something?

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2012, 01:57.

11. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 01:16 Asmodai

It's kinda WoT with mechs.

The damage feels different to tabletop because direct translation would result in it being over way to quick.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/1993-on-armor-damage-modeling-penetration/

is a good thread on it.

10. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 01:08 Razumen

I dunno. Hard to get excited without a campaign to play through either SP or Coop.

The fact that it's F2P does more harm in my mind than it being MP only.

9. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 01:07 RollinThundr

It'd be cool if they could weave some story arcs into stuff. Anyway, sitll waiting for my key!

It's fun, but it's an extremely "rough" beta. 2 maps, weapons don't really feel very powerful sound wise, and it has it's share of bugs. New build tomorrow, will have to see how the improvements pan out, things like environmental conditions affecting your heat output. For example on one of the two maps your in a snowy blizzard, in the other there's a lake that's supposed to affect heat levels.

LRM's feel a bit over powered and arc and tend to be head shots all the time, I believe they're changing the trajectory in tomorrow's patch so that if you have direct LOS they just fly straight rather than arching up into the air. And they're adding some electronic packages like zoom and CASE etc.

It has a ton of potential it's still very early beta however.

8. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 00:40 eRe4s3r

Thats not the fault of the OS but of the crappy coded games ,) Maybe they mention 8GB ram because you could put the whole game into ram and start it straight from ram to boot. Sadly proper support for ramdrives nearly disappeared in latest windows.  

7. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 00:15 xornand

Why are they recommending 8 GB of RAM?
I thought Win 7 x64 would only use about 6 GB at the most for any game.

6. Re: MechWarrior Online Specs; Founders Program Tomorrow Jun 19, 2012, 00:14 Parias

Ditto, having this stuck as multiplayer-only is quite disappointing - but I'm gonna end up playing it anyways.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo