Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Microsoft Unveils Surface

The Surface by Microsoft Website introduces Microsoft's newly announced tablet PC that will presumably be their showcase for the upcoming touch-enabled Windows 8, though its most talked about feature may be the keyboard built into the 3mm-thick cover (5mm if you want clicky keys). There are live blogs of the announcement on Gizmodo and Wired, and the official press release with specs is on Kotaku, where they note the device's gaming capacity will be shown off by Skulls of the Shogun (thanks nin). Here are those specs:

Surface for Windows RT

• Light(1): 676 g
  • Thin(2): 9.3 mm
  • Clear: 10.6" ClearType HD Display
  • Energized: 31.5 W-h
  • Connected: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
  • Productive: Office 15' Apps, Touch Cover, Type Cover
  • Practical: VaporMg Case & Stand
  • Configurable: 32 GB, 64 GB

Surface for Windows 8 Pro

• Light(1): 903 g
  • Thin(2): 13.5 mm
  • Clear: 10.6" ClearType Full HD Display
  • Energized: 42 W-h
  • Connected: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
  • Productive: Touch Cover, Type Cover, Pen with Palm Block
  • Practical: VaporMg Case & Stand
  • Configurable: 64 GB, 128 GB

(1), (2). Actual size and weight of the device may vary due to configuration and manufacturing process.

Suggested retail pricing will be announced closer to availability and is expected to be competitive with a comparable ARM tablet or Intel Ultrabook-class PC. OEMs will have cost and feature parity on Windows 8 and Windows RT.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

15. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 23:25 Sepharo

MisterBenn wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 21:49:
Pankin wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 21:12:
Can you configure a screen of death with a custom color? So for instance, in addition to a BSOD, might you have a RSOD or a GSOD?

I love it! "For fuck's sake, another white with a hint of avacado screen of death!!!"

You have been able to do that forever:

http://www.petri.co.il/change_bsod_color.htm

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 23:15 DangerDog

dj LiTh wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 23:04:
This looks awesome....x86 tablet that runs all windows biz apps.....your witnessing the death of apple now that jobs is gone.

The "Pro" model will sell for $800 to $1000 most likely as they say it'll be "comparable" to Ultrabook class PC.

I sure as hell wouldn't pay that much for one.

13. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 23:11 DangerDog

Things that tablets are good for

e-reading

light web browsing

some casual games

watching youtube videos / movies

for me the top feature is ease of getting your own content onto the device, I prefer to plug it into my system and have it pop up as just another drive. Option B is to use wifi file transfer if the file is small.

I don't travel with it and just use it as a portable content viewer secondary to my PC.

HP Touchpad with Android ICS installed on it, didn't mind webos but it's dead developer wise. $150 for the 32gig version was an agreeable price for what I use it for, no way in hell would I spend $499 or whatever it retailed for.

I wouldn't put Windows RT on my tablet even if it were free.

12. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 23:04 dj LiTh

This looks awesome....x86 tablet that runs all windows biz apps.....your witnessing the death of apple now that jobs is gone.  

11. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 22:44 Cutter

And Steve Ballmer just walked onstage. He's saying how much Microsoft and the industry have changed over the past still years, but "Windows is the heart and soul of Microsoft." Windows powers over 1 billion PCs, from home desktops to NASA.

And never capitalized on any of it for PC gaming oddly enough. How obtuse do you have to be? Way, way past time to put Ballmer out to pasture.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 22:42 Cutter

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 21:13:
You'd be surprised how many people would only ever consider a tablet with a keyboard, even if it is using a full touch enabled surface.. well, unless you fancy cleaning your screen every 30 minutes of course.

for a tablet Windows 8 seems to be good. So this actually looks pretty cool. Question is what CPU and what GPU is inside. Or did I miss that info?

I'd never consider a tablet without a keyboard. This is the first one I've seen that I could give serious consideration to buying.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 22:30 Jensen

The Pro version is very interesting. Full Windows on a tablet about 40% heavier than an iPad, and has a digitizer. The battery is about the same capacity as the one in the new iPad.

The RT version, on the other hand, is out-specced by an iPad in most ways, and won't have the software to make up for that.

8. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 22:29 Graham

It comes down to price. If the price were going to be aggressive, they would have announced it by now. Jobs said two things about the iPad when it launched "It's a magical device at a revolutionary price."

Everyone focused on the "magic", they missed the important part; nothing has competed on price and features to this day.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. It would be great to see Apple react rather than simply owning the category.

7. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 21:57 ASeven

Well, I like my Asus Transformer so unless these tablets offer a competitive price I can see Android tablets beating these ones. It will all come down to the price and the CPU/GPU combination.  

6. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 21:49 MisterBenn

Pankin wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 21:12:
Can you configure a screen of death with a custom color? So for instance, in addition to a BSOD, might you have a RSOD or a GSOD?

I love it! "For fuck's sake, another white with a hint of avacado screen of death!!!"

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

5. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 21:27 nin

Looks interesting, but it all comes down to price (which they didn't specifically announce). They have to come in under apple if they want to compete, but the fire (granted a smaller screen) and other android tablets have the the lower market locked up, and I can't see MS trying to compete with those on price (instead, like apple, they're try and show you all the neat things you can't do with an entry level android tablet).

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 21:13 eRe4s3r

You'd be surprised how many people would only ever consider a tablet with a keyboard, even if it is using a full touch enabled surface.. well, unless you fancy cleaning your screen every 30 minutes of course.

for a tablet Windows 8 seems to be good. So this actually looks pretty cool. Question is what CPU and what GPU is inside. Or did I miss that info?

3. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 21:12 Pankin

Looks promising.

Can you configure a screen of death with a custom color? So for instance, in addition to a BSOD, might you have a RSOD or a GSOD? You know, to match that slick keyboard/cover.

2. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 21:10 Tumbler

Assuming that keyboard is detachable or better yet flexible so you can just fold it back and hold the thing with one hand that looks cool. My dad won't stop talking about wanting a tablet with a fold out keyboard like that, I'm not sure why he wants a separate keyboard but that man will not stop asking for something like this.

Bingo, there you go, now stop asking about a tablet with a keyboard!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

1. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 21:02 SpectralMeat

This actually looks pretty cool!
I wonder how well the W8 OS will run on the tablets.

Steam: SpectralMeat

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo