Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Microsoft Unveils Surface

The Surface by Microsoft Website introduces Microsoft's newly announced tablet PC that will presumably be their showcase for the upcoming touch-enabled Windows 8, though its most talked about feature may be the keyboard built into the 3mm-thick cover (5mm if you want clicky keys). There are live blogs of the announcement on Gizmodo and Wired, and the official press release with specs is on Kotaku, where they note the device's gaming capacity will be shown off by Skulls of the Shogun (thanks nin). Here are those specs:

Surface for Windows RT

• Light(1): 676 g
  • Thin(2): 9.3 mm
  • Clear: 10.6" ClearType HD Display
  • Energized: 31.5 W-h
  • Connected: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
  • Productive: Office 15' Apps, Touch Cover, Type Cover
  • Practical: VaporMg Case & Stand
  • Configurable: 32 GB, 64 GB

Surface for Windows 8 Pro

• Light(1): 903 g
  • Thin(2): 13.5 mm
  • Clear: 10.6" ClearType Full HD Display
  • Energized: 42 W-h
  • Connected: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
  • Productive: Touch Cover, Type Cover, Pen with Palm Block
  • Practical: VaporMg Case & Stand
  • Configurable: 64 GB, 128 GB

(1), (2). Actual size and weight of the device may vary due to configuration and manufacturing process.

Suggested retail pricing will be announced closer to availability and is expected to be competitive with a comparable ARM tablet or Intel Ultrabook-class PC. OEMs will have cost and feature parity on Windows 8 and Windows RT.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

35. Re: Genius Jun 19, 2012, 09:30 Prez

Typical of Microsoft - late to the party again. They have a habit of releasing good products to the marketplace too late that are liked by critics but ignored by most everyone else. It does look like a nifty device though; maybe this will avoid the fate of the Zune and Windows phone.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Genius Jun 19, 2012, 09:18 subx

If you were making an extremely basic marketing web site, you might think that you'd want to make sure it's available to the widest possible audience, not so for Microsoft. In a trailblazing move, the site totally fails to work under iOS, demonstrating that they don't want anything to do with those silly Apple types.

(doesn't work properly in my old version of Firefox either)

Currently tablets are pretty much exclusively entertainment devices, and I can't of anything much less entertaining than Windows. The ultrabook market needs a kick up the arse though (particularly in terms of screen technology) and this might be the thing to do it.

33. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 09:15 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 09:02:
2 years too late, I'm not sure they'll get any serious traction unless they sell it at a major loss for awhile. When it comes right down to it I'm just not sure there is this large untapped touch screen market, it seems like Apple already has the "casual Youtube and email" demographic pretty well cornered.

Agreed.

That, and they are woefully behind on apps. IOS and Android just have way too much of a lead in that area. Of course, I'm talking Metro apps and not windows thick apps. As for windows thick apps.... they've never been too successful on a tablet, so that's more of a side feature. Maybe the inclusion of a track-pad in their case keyboard will make a difference, though.

I still think they're too late... and selling at a loss would have to mean selling at a huge undercut of iPad and Android.

32. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 09:14 Shok

My next tech purchase will be a Thinkpad X1 Carbon ultrabook...if I can wait until August.

The Surface looks OK but being the first generation it will have it's growing pains I'm sure.

31. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 09:02 Verno

2 years too late, I'm not sure they'll get any serious traction unless they sell it at a major loss for awhile. When it comes right down to it I'm just not sure there is this large untapped touch screen market, it seems like Apple already has the "casual Youtube and email" demographic pretty well cornered.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

30. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 08:56 Parallax Abstraction

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 01:44:
Unless the features state "It's an Ipad" I'm not sure it'll sell.

That's the biggest problem when they're trying to enter a market that's currently driven by a fashion trend.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

29. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 07:38 Dades

Didn't see anything there that impressed me other than the blatant pandering to Apples traditional markets.  

28. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 07:37 DG

You know MS might have actually done something well when it's being ignored on Slashdot, LOL.

One glance at the pic and I stunned myself by thinking I might actually have a look and consider buying that. That keyboard in the detachable cover (it's attached by magnets) is a big win.

They probably screwed up in oh so many ways and I'd probably be looking for someone putting Android or whatever on it, but first impression is waaaaaay better than the waste of space I was expecting.

27. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 07:25 Beamer

Dev wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 00:41:
And here we see the true reason for making windows 8 metro. They want to capture the market in tablet PC's. And just like they've sacrificed things in windows before to make porting from xbox easier, now they are sacrificing stuff in windows to make a universal GUI with tablets and PCs.

You just figured this out?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

26. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 06:11 Fibrocyte

Tumbler wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 21:10:
Assuming that keyboard is detachable or better yet flexible so you can just fold it back and hold the thing with one hand that looks cool. My dad won't stop talking about wanting a tablet with a fold out keyboard like that, I'm not sure why he wants a separate keyboard but that man will not stop asking for something like this.

Bingo, there you go, now stop asking about a tablet with a keyboard!

You mean like the Asus Transformer Prime?

25. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 02:52 DangerDog

Integration of xboxlive into windows 8 is also key to their master plan, get all those xbox360 people paying monthly for gold service hooked on their new mobile gaming platform.

Now if they can just get everyone else to pay them a monthly service fee too.

24. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 01:44 Dmitri_M

Unless the features state "It's an Ipad" I'm not sure it'll sell.  

23. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 01:03 Dev

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 00:46:
It might be cool, but there's no way would I buy version 1. If it catches on and they make another one with all the bugs worked out then I'll give it serious consideration.
What would be really funny is if they discontinued it after about 2 weeks on the market like they did with their MS phone.

22. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 00:46 Silicon Avatar

It might be cool, but there's no way would I buy version 1. If it catches on and they make another one with all the bugs worked out then I'll give it serious consideration.

21. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 00:41 Dev

And here we see the true reason for making windows 8 metro. They want to capture the market in tablet PC's. And just like they've sacrificed things in windows before to make porting from xbox easier, now they are sacrificing stuff in windows to make a universal GUI with tablets and PCs.  

20. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 00:37 eRe4s3r

But you got to hand it to Microsoft that even their BSOD's are readable for seeing impaired with a little ini tweaking.  

19. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 19, 2012, 00:23 DangerDog

dj LiTh wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 23:44:
I'd sure buy one of these over an ultrabook, and for the business/medical sector that price is nothing

perhaps, but can you use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard with it?

How hot does the pro model get while using it and does the battery last a decent amount of time before charging?

It's very close to being a functional computer that can be used as a tablet too.

18. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 23:44 dj LiTh

DangerDog wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 23:15:
dj LiTh wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 23:04:
This looks awesome....x86 tablet that runs all windows biz apps.....your witnessing the death of apple now that jobs is gone.

The "Pro" model will sell for $800 to $1000 most likely as they say it'll be "comparable" to Ultrabook class PC.

I sure as hell wouldn't pay that much for one.

I'd sure buy one of these over an ultrabook, and for the business/medical sector that price is nothing

17. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 23:43 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 21:27:
Looks interesting, but it all comes down to price (which they didn't specifically announce). They have to come in under apple if they want to compete, but the fire (granted a smaller screen) and other android tablets have the the lower market locked up, and I can't see MS trying to compete with those on price (instead, like apple, they're try and show you all the neat things you can't do with an entry level android tablet).

I theorised when talking about this potential announcement with my boss today that the reason Microsoft is doing this tablet in-house instead of through a partner is so they can do what they did with the 360: Sell it at a decent loss initially in order to get market penetration, some of which will be made up on software. This is something none of their OEM partners would be willing to do. If they were willing to do that and can come in a couple hundred bucks under the iPad that way, they might have a hit on their hands. But the lack of pricing announcements and having a press event for this months before it comes out is dumb. One of the few things Apple does super well is announcements. "Here's the product, here's the price and you can buy it in a few days." They should have done that here, even if they had to wait until the Fall.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

16. Re: Microsoft Unveils Surface Jun 18, 2012, 23:34 Sepharo

Why the fuck is Mini DisplayPort on there? And what is Micro HD Video? Is that Type-D HDMI?  

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo