Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher

An interview on Gamasutra talks with "key members" of CD Projekt RED about Cyberpunk, their upcoming sci-fi RPG. The article is subtitled: "Making a complex story more accessible," as it explores that topic. "We spent days discussing a general postmortem after we finished The Witcher 2," Adam Badowski says. "What we learned from The Witcher series is that we need to attract people with a smoother learning curve when it comes to the storyline," to which joint-CEO Marcin Iwinski adds: "And that's what we want to capture. In [Cyberpunk], we want to create a story that is very profound, but the novice players should be introduced to [the world] better than they were in The Witcher 2." They go on to discuss what this entails, and their goal of doing justice to the pen-and-paper Cyberpunk game as successfully as HBO has adapted Game of Thrones from the books upon which it is based.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 19, 2012, 10:54 Raptor

I think a game by CD Project RED however is the only thing I'd be comfortable preordering right here right now, just on their reputation and attitude alone.

Anything from any other studio however... not so much, probably Bohemia too (and then wait for patches)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 19, 2012, 10:18 Kajetan

Cutter wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 09:47:
Oh my stars and garters, people! Marketing speak in gaming should be a second language for you by now.
It sure is. But we will see. And we will pat you on the shoulder, saying Cutter was right as usual ... when Cyberpunk becomes the typical CoD for people, who dont like those complicated ArrrPeeGees, when Cyberpunk becomes a game like Dragon Age 2.

Only then ...

Personally, i expect nothing. I don't even wait. When its released i will play it and if its good i will buy it. Until then, i just ignore it.

19. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 19, 2012, 09:47 Cutter

Oh my stars and garters, people! Marketing speak in gaming should be a second language for you by now. Read between the effing lines here! Fine, ok. When it comes out, you can all come back to this particular comment and say 'Cutter was right again...as usual.'

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 19, 2012, 05:22 Jerykk

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 04:20:
Well that can only be a good thing then. Though it being Cyberpunk.. I have my fears how they handle shooting and things relating to that. If it is based on the board game like 1:1.. let's just say, things are going to be very weird.

For all we know they could have meant not to just randomly make you control a character and then have to actually choose game deciding dialog without ANY real context whatsoever. Witcher 2 kinda went off-rails there with that King vs King situation where you can end up choosing sides rather dramatically, actually. The thing is, this is not at all announced. I can imagine that to be a very jarring thing to happen to someone who has NO IDEA who these kings are, or the people around them. I actually have a distinct dislike relating to that particularly scene (and the take control of ghost warriors and that..) because it is a deadly game design sin. This should have been a cutscene. It's like they considered it but decided against it so we have some choice there. But while too much is terribly bad, too little cutscene sometimes can be just as jarring when it does something totally absurd. Like having us control a king. (which not just takes control away from us, but forces us to control someone we do not want to control)

This reminds me... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGORttEnzA Storytelling in Videogames (and why Max Payne 3 *really* sucks) obviously this does not apply to the Witcher 2 It's a great RPG, with maybe too few cutscenes and too MUCH choice actually. To this day I have no idea what the point of that KING vs KING scene is in Witcher 2.

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of that sequence. If it was a dream sequence or psychic possession or something, that would have been okay. But just having you suddenly control the king was a bit weird and broke the immersion.

17. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 19, 2012, 04:22 Kajetan

Cutter wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 19:51:
So in other words they're dumbing it down for the masses for more sales.
There is a difference between "Explaining something better, to keep complexity high" and "Making everything dumber, so you dont have to explain that much."

16. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 19, 2012, 04:20 eRe4s3r

Well that can only be a good thing then. Though it being Cyberpunk.. I have my fears how they handle shooting and things relating to that. If it is based on the board game like 1:1.. let's just say, things are going to be very weird.

For all we know they could have meant not to just randomly make you control a character and then have to actually choose game deciding dialog without ANY real context whatsoever. Witcher 2 kinda went off-rails there with that King vs King situation where you can end up choosing sides rather dramatically, actually. The thing is, this is not at all announced. I can imagine that to be a very jarring thing to happen to someone who has NO IDEA who these kings are, or the people around them. I actually have a distinct dislike relating to that particularly scene (and the take control of ghost warriors and that..) because it is a deadly game design sin. This should have been a cutscene. It's like they considered it but decided against it so we have some choice there. But while too much is terribly bad, too little cutscene sometimes can be just as jarring when it does something totally absurd. Like having us control a king. (which not just takes control away from us, but forces us to control someone we do not want to control)

This reminds me... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGORttEnzA Storytelling in Videogames (and why Max Payne 3 *really* sucks) obviously this does not apply to the Witcher 2 It's a great RPG, with maybe too few cutscenes and too MUCH choice actually. To this day I have no idea what the point of that KING vs KING scene is in Witcher 2.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2012, 04:30.

15. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 19, 2012, 04:08 Raptor

Ok you're forgiven

Haven't tried the arena actually so I'm not sure what kind of progress it has, but to me W2 was seriously challenging in the beginning and towards the end felt much more manageable in combat. (ie. I didn't feel like a wimp anymore)
I think it scared a lot of "not so experienced" people off and what CDRED actually means by making the learning curve easier.
So difficulty would be "easier" -> "harder" towards the end, rather than vice-versa.

14. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 19, 2012, 03:53 eRe4s3r

I get to be happy quite often ^^, but it was either this topic or the witcher 2 patch topic. Now both are about The Witcher.. but you can be sure I won't repeat that more than once every 3 months The only reason you had to suffer reading that, AGAIN is that I just tried the game (read, tested the patch) and thus it was not as random a rant as it may seem

Because playing the game's new uh, tutorial? kinda reminded me about the whole deal again. Also I noticed the combat in Witcher 2 really is not something you drop and pick up again. I can't even beat the Arena on medium ;p

13. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 19, 2012, 03:47 Raptor

Sure, but is it necessary to remind of those 3 issues in every related topic?
Even if it's about another game with no real specific details to comment on?
I really hope they will soon make a new announcement outlining those 3 things specifically to calm the masses.

And if any game had just those 3 issues and the game itself was great then I'd probably be quite happy about it. (unfortunately I don't get to be happy often)

12. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 19, 2012, 03:35 eRe4s3r

And your point is? Oh sorry, you were just bored? ;p

Anyway I hope you are joking, as these 3 points are like the main thing anyone playing Witcher 2 complains about, and it is the perfect time to mention that when they claim to "learn" something from Witcher 2.

If they learn that
1) Fov is not EVER fixed at 60 in a PC game
2) Aspect Ratio is not fixed at 16:9 in a PC game
3) GUI actually supports proper PC centric controls in a PC game

Then I will shut up about that For a PC game, they sure as hell made it look like a console port. And the fov issue is to this day not actually fixed. Is also why I didn't even play 5 minutes of Witcher 2 enhanced edition. I can not stand this zoomed in crap, and I would have to play with black bars just to get proper FOV. So if you call that trolling you are welcome ;9

11. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 19, 2012, 03:02 Raptor

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 19:17:
Hopefully this time the GUI and FOV won't be as crappy as in Witcher 2. by the gods, did the FOV suck in Witcher 2 before they fixed that and the GUI is only barely acceptable with this patch now. How do they say, people only remember the bad stuff.. seems to be correct GUI / Aspect / Fov.. didn't forget what a nightmare that was.

Periods?
Or are you just a troll when it comes to Witcher related news?
Just something that stands out quite easily reading the comments.

10. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 18, 2012, 23:18 TychoCelchuuu

Making the introduction smoother is not the same as making the game dumber. A pool that's 30 feet deep is still 30 feet deep whether someone drops you straight in or leads you slowly down a slope. They're just saying that they dropped players straight in before and that this time they're going to go for a more gradual approach.  

9. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 18, 2012, 22:50 nin

but some of us are considerably more sophisticated and expect a lot more out of our entertainment.

...something that RED has delivered in the past, with it's Witcher games. And there's currently no reason to think they can't do it again.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 18, 2012, 22:47 Cutter

Look, I know this sort of pablum appeals to you American Idol, Reality TV watching types, but some of us are considerably more sophisticated and expect a lot more out of our entertainment. Eat cake peasants!

7. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 18, 2012, 21:33 jacobvandy

Cutter only read the first line until 'accessible' and immediately went into 'fuck this shit' mode.  

6. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 18, 2012, 20:59 Flatline

So in other words they're dumbing it down for the masses for more sales. Oh well, so much for that.

Yeah god forbid people actually get engaged with the story.

5. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 18, 2012, 20:04 Wowbagger_TIP

So in other words they're dumbing it down for the masses for more sales. Oh well, so much for that.
Only if you consider hours of trial-and-error to be somehow "smart". There's nothing wrong with explaining how things work in the world they're building. Now they could do things to actually dumb down the gameplay, but there's nothing in this statement to indicate that that's what they're doing.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

4. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 18, 2012, 19:51 Cutter

3. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 18, 2012, 19:22 Bet

nin wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 18:50:
Man, I hope this is good. I have no reason to think it won't be, but fingers crossed anyway.

The only thing not good so far is that it's just not released yet. That's a good sign.

2. Re: Cyberpunk Learns Learning from The Witcher Jun 18, 2012, 19:17 eRe4s3r

Hopefully this time the GUI and FOV won't be as crappy as in Witcher 2. by the gods, did the FOV suck in Witcher 2 before they fixed that and the GUI is only barely acceptable with this patch now. How do they say, people only remember the bad stuff.. seems to be correct GUI / Aspect / Fov.. didn't forget what a nightmare that was.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo