Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Origin Sale; EA Calls Service "A Huge Success"

There's a big sale on the Origin Store celebrating the first anniversary of the launch of EA's online store. They are offering a 40% discount on several PC digital download special editions. Also, MCV notes a Q&A from last week on GameSpot with EA's David DeMartini, who calls the service's first year "a huge success." He also offers a criticism of Origin's stickiness, saying this is something they need to address going forward. "Being self-critical of Origin, I would say it's not sticky enough. And we want to put features in place where we fully take advantage of your friends lists and gameplay activities amongst all of your friends so you can compare achievements," he says. "We want you to be able to challenge your friends, and to challenge your friends to play other EA games to try and achieve things that might even be across EA games. A lot of people are loyal to us and we need to reward them with that stickiness, so we're looking in that direction."

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

86. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 26, 2012, 10:09 Dev

Ant wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 15:11:
Dev wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 14:59:
Ant wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 08:59:
Verno wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 08:54:
BF3 requires Origin. I just wrote a script to kill Origin after the BF3 process dies.
Oh nice!Can you do that with Steam too?
I'm sure you could, since that's functionally equivalent to hitting EXIT on steam after you finish playing your game (at least that's how I read the comment about the BF3 process).
Ah, I was talking exiting Steam/Origin when playing the games.
My assumption is that since he said "after the BF3 process DIES" he meant after it exits. But I could be wrong. If a check was only done at start, and it didn't care about it during the running of a game, something like what you describe might be possible.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

85. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 25, 2012, 15:11 Ant

Dev wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 14:59:
BF3 requires Origin. I just wrote a script to kill Origin after the BF3 process dies.
I'm sure you could, since that's functionally equivalent to hitting EXIT on steam after you finish playing your game (at least that's how I read the comment about the BF3 process).
Ah, I was talking exiting Steam/Origin when playing the games.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

84. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 25, 2012, 14:59 Dev

83. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 25, 2012, 08:59 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

82. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 25, 2012, 08:54 Verno

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

81. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 25, 2012, 08:49 Ant

Dev wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 04:25:
Ant wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 14:50:
Can BF3 and other games still be played without Origin yet?
Last I looked into it, it varied by game. I think in almost all cases you still must have an EA/Origin account, but some games you don't have to actually run origin.
Is there a list of games that do require and not require Origin? What about BF3?

80. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 25, 2012, 04:25 Dev

Ant wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 14:50:
Last I looked into it, it varied by game. I think in almost all cases you still must have an EA/Origin account, but some games you don't have to actually run origin.

79. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 23, 2012, 14:50 Ant

78. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 19, 2012, 13:05 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 09:51:
He's global for ecommerce platform. He is not global for pricing. Trust me, it's the country heads that do that, not him. He does not have that power in EMEA.
Then he's an ass for speaking on behalf of the company when he doesn't have control over pricing. It's perfectly understandable for people to see an interview with the "EA Origin boss" and assume he is speaking for Origin... hang on a second, how can you come to any other conclusion? Are people honestly supposed to know the internal structure of EA before passing judgement on them?

As I said, EA is being completely hypocritical here.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

77. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 19, 2012, 09:51 Beamer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 18:50:
Beamer wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 18:11:
I can see why people think it's hypocritical, but the people responsible for those deep discounts in Europe are not the same people, and do not report to the same people, that said that deep discounts are bad. It's like how some soda companies in Europe say high fructose corn syrup is bad but the US divisions say it's fine. Different people are running them and have different opinions - as small as the world is these days we're not yet at the point of making every division be 100% homogenized.
I'd just like to point out that you're wrong. According to this article and the EA website he is the Senior Vice President of Global Ecommerce for Electronic Arts and the head of Origin. Care to admit you were wrong?

Even if you were right - which I have demonstrated you're not - you can't fault people for finding it hypocritical for Origin to offer 87.5% off some titles after reading an article in which the "EA Origin boss" asserts that Steam's sales "cheapen intellectual property" and that they "won't be doing that". He's just another execu-tard who threw a hissy fit, except this time it came up to bite him in the ass.

He's global for ecommerce platform. He is not global for pricing. Trust me, it's the country heads that do that, not him. He does not have that power in EMEA.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

76. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 19, 2012, 09:32 Vio

I uninstalled origin. Crowngrin  

75. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 22:59 ^Drag0n^

^Drag0n^ wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 17:54:
Personally, I love how these bozos say that the Steam Sale "is damaging IP," then proceed to deep discount no more than 2 weeks later.

Proof once again that the only truth in marketing are the lies.

If anyone wonders why I care about getting it right, it's because no one listens to anyone whose facts are wrong (like some guy making valid complaints about the government then throwing in that Obama is a Muslim - be wrong about something and get written off entirely...), and anyone saying EA is hypocritical here has their facts wrong:

1) Head of Origin USA says he believes discounts of 75% or greater damages IP (a bad way of phrasing but a good point - can any of us say we don't expect to pay less for games due to Steam Sales? I sure do. I absolutely wait for a 75% off sale for most of my purchases. That doesn't mean I think that the damage isn't made up in other ways)
2) Head of Origin EMEA clearly does not agree and goes with deep discounts. It's an entirely different territory run by entirely different people responsible for their own pricing
3) Origin USA discounts to 40%, which is a shoddy sale and obviously not a deep discount
4) ???
5) Everyone calls them hypocrites

I can see why people think it's hypocritical, but the people responsible for those deep discounts in Europe are not the same people, and do not report to the same people, that said that deep discounts are bad. It's like how some soda companies in Europe say high fructose corn syrup is bad but the US divisions say it's fine. Different people are running them and have different opinions - as small as the world is these days we're not yet at the point of making every division be 100% homogenized.
And 40% isn't hypocritical because it's a measly sale that no one should care about. Would 50% have been so hard? There's a much larger psychological bump there...

Usually, we agree, but We're going to have to agree to disagree here.

When you have multiple people, speaking in an official capacity as a representative of their employer, and they contradict each others talking points? Hypocritical.

I'd have to disagree that 40% is not a deep discount; its darn near half off. A respectable amount even for a sale going on between 12/25 and 1/1 in retail stores.

My comment that the only truth are the lies marketing tells? Pretty much operandi de facto for any marketing team; say what your audience wants to hear... Appeal to people don't want to be part of one group in one setting, then appeal to the disenfranchised in another.

Deep discounting, regardless of platform, doesn't change the payment a publisher gets-they have to agree to it, or the retailer has to make up the difference in a lead-loss scenario, and pays the publisher the difference. There has never been a game sold where EA wasn't paid the money they demanded for the sku.

My (admittedly oversimplified) comment was a remark on how EA (and Activision) are just plain horrid at image management, and rarely have a coherent company line on just about anything.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

74. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 19:55 Prez

My random thoughts on the matter are:

1) "Huge Success" tells us nothing. If, for example, EA expected the service would gain 5% digital download market share and it ended up with 8%, then sure - for EA, relatively speaking it's a huge success.
2) The last time I tried to use Origin was for my "The Old Republic" installation it was terrible. Absolutely, utterly terrible.
3) I'm not against using a bad service if I need to if the game I am trying to play is good (I used Steam in the beginning when it was a nightmare to play HL2 after all), but there isn't a single game on Origin I would consider worth owning that can't be had through Steam, a far FAR better service.
4) Did I mention Steam is a vastly superior service in every conceivable way?
5) In the end, no matter how good Origin ends up being it is still run by EA, the most despicable publisher in gaming (with the possible exception of Microsoft).

I find it pretty telling that the best thing that can be said about Origin (judging from the few non-negative comments made) is that you have the option to not use it. I'm not a huge fan of the "games as a service" concept, but Steam is so feature rich and loaded with functionality I find useful it makes me want to use it. This is how it's done, not that EA will ever figure it out.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2012, 20:06.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

73. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 19:51 Saboth

Origin free, and never had it, never will.  

72. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 18:56 J

Paketep wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:59:
Rattlehead wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 10:50:
J wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 10:48:
Popcorn
What a deep, insightful comment. Definitely going to make me change my ways of thinking from now on. I never thought of things like that.

Well, I liked it way more than your usual comment. And it's definitely more accurate.

I totally called it.

71. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 18:50 theyarecomingforyou

I'd just like to point out that you're wrong. According to this article and the EA website he is the Senior Vice President of Global Ecommerce for Electronic Arts and the head of Origin. Care to admit you were wrong?

Even if you were right - which I have demonstrated you're not - you can't fault people for finding it hypocritical for Origin to offer 87.5% off some titles after reading an article in which the "EA Origin boss" asserts that Steam's sales "cheapen intellectual property" and that they "won't be doing that". He's just another execu-tard who threw a hissy fit, except this time it came up to bite him in the ass.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

70. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 18:11 Beelzebud

Way to go and damage your IPs beyond recognition guys!

Still not using Origin.

69. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 18:11 Beamer

^Drag0n^ wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 17:54:
Personally, I love how these bozos say that the Steam Sale "is damaging IP," then proceed to deep discount no more than 2 weeks later.

If anyone wonders why I care about getting it right, it's because no one listens to anyone whose facts are wrong (like some guy making valid complaints about the government then throwing in that Obama is a Muslim - be wrong about something and get written off entirely...), and anyone saying EA is hypocritical here has their facts wrong:

1) Head of Origin USA says he believes discounts of 75% or greater damages IP (a bad way of phrasing but a good point - can any of us say we don't expect to pay less for games due to Steam Sales? I sure do. I absolutely wait for a 75% off sale for most of my purchases. That doesn't mean I think that the damage isn't made up in other ways)
2) Head of Origin EMEA clearly does not agree and goes with deep discounts. It's an entirely different territory run by entirely different people responsible for their own pricing
3) Origin USA discounts to 40%, which is a shoddy sale and obviously not a deep discount
4) ???
5) Everyone calls them hypocrites

And 40% isn't hypocritical because it's a measly sale that no one should care about. Would 50% have been so hard? There's a much larger psychological bump there...

-------------

68. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 17:54 ^Drag0n^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

67. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 17:47 Beamer

eunichron wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 17:23:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 17:06:
eunichron wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 16:48:
I'm still wondering where you're getting this idea of a higher price point? Is it just a USB/GBP conversion issue? Here in the US there is absolutely no difference between Steam and Origin pricing.
That's not a valid comparison when EA controls the price on both services. I'm comparing it to retail and to the average price of games. The average full priced released on Steam is £30 - the occasional release like Skyrim will be priced at £35. EA is charging £40 for most releases and £50-65 for the limited editions, which usually come with only a handful of irrelevant unlocks. It's absolutely cuckoo land pricing, especially when retail prices - which support Origin - are half the price.

Seems that it's only an issue in the UK/EU then. In the US $60 has been the standard price point for a AAA new release for several years now, and no publisher has charged more than $60 for a basic standard game, deluxe/collectors editions will be more. BF3, Skyrim, MW3, Diablo 3, Max Payne 3, all launched at $60. Generally titles from smaller/lesser known developers will be $40-$50 (most recent example Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion; $39.99), and indie games will typically be $30 or less ($19.99 seems to be a popular price point for indie games lately). But it seems the problem you're describing is unique to the UK.

On the whole if you take conversions into account, EA in the UK is keeping their standard price point from the US, while Steam is giving you guys a $15 discount pretty much across the board.

Well, games do launch at the same price, but Steam will discount your average game quicker, more aggressively, and at a deeper discount.

And it works. Yes, I may hold off and buy PC games at a cheaper price because I know they'll hit that price (and I recognize there could be some serious issues here in conditioning people that games can and should be less than $10. But I've discussed the difficulties of AAA pricing here more than a few times.) However, I also buy way more games. And, regardless of that $60 point ($50 on PC), I've purchased very few full price PC games since Doom 3 burned me. I kind of vowed never to do it after that, and only a few games have pulled me.

-------------

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo