Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Black Ops II PC Dedicated Servers Confirmed

Treyarch's director of technology tweets a confirmation that the PC edition of Call of Duty: Black Ops II will be getting dedicated servers. The first Black Ops also featured dedicated servers, provided through GameServers, but the revelation of the PC edition of the sequel included comments saying Treyarch had not decided on how this would work in the sequel. Thanks GameInformer.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Black Ops II PC Dedicated Servers Confirmed Jun 19, 2012, 19:09 Sepharo

CS:GO AR (GG DM) is unfortunately suffering from matchmaking right now. Dedicated servers are an option but because of quick and easy matchmaking none of the dedicated are nurturing regulars. So what happens now is I join, win 3 or 4 maps in a row, everyone leaves me, I join the auto matchmaking server they all got switched to, rinse and repeat until nobody is playing AA anymore  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Black Ops II PC Dedicated Servers Confirmed Jun 19, 2012, 15:06 Beamer

Highlander wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 14:27:
Beamer wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 10:02:
What was wrong with the MW3 dedicated servers? Where they pay-servers only? I know they were unranked, but that's kind of expected. From what I understand that killed them, because they stupidly didn't automatically make them fully unlocked, but I didn't pay any attention beyond that.
What was the big flaw?

The HUGE flaw was just that, they were unranked and the only way you could rank up was to play on the shitty, laggy,cheat/hack-ridden peer to peer matchmaking system that IW dreamed up. No one played unranked, even though they could customize the server to any weapon level or map, but people want to rank up their stats. P2P sucks and sucks HARD.

Unranked makes sense, though. Ranked servers in many games are closely monitored to avoid account hacking. Though I hear it was handled poorly, and maybe the right thing to do was do a separate ranking for dedicated servers, or just let servers decide what classes were available, or whathaveyou.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Black Ops II PC Dedicated Servers Confirmed Jun 19, 2012, 14:27 Highlander

Beamer wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 10:02:
What was wrong with the MW3 dedicated servers? Where they pay-servers only? I know they were unranked, but that's kind of expected. From what I understand that killed them, because they stupidly didn't automatically make them fully unlocked, but I didn't pay any attention beyond that.
What was the big flaw?

The HUGE flaw was just that, they were unranked and the only way you could rank up was to play on the shitty, laggy,cheat/hack-ridden peer to peer matchmaking system that IW dreamed up. No one played unranked, even though they could customize the server to any weapon level or map, but people want to rank up their stats. P2P sucks and sucks HARD.

7. Re: Black Ops II PC Dedicated Servers Confirmed Jun 19, 2012, 10:02 Beamer

Highlander wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:29:
Sounds EXACTLY like that liar 402 Bowling. "Yeah it has dedicated servers" *winky face* said for MW3.

When it's this late into the development and you won't announce what PC players can expect in the way of TRUE dedicated servers. Even if they are through GameServers, then we know there' something fishy going on. Treyarch knows what's going on, they just don't want to tell us because the PC players will go apeshit bananas on them.

To hell with the CoD series and Kotch/Activision. Its rinse/repeat gameplay and console-ized P2P matchmaking bullshit. I had hoped that Treyarch would keep the faith to PC players but they are going the console way. Forgetting what platform put them on the map.

What was the big flaw?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Black Ops II PC Dedicated Servers Confirmed Jun 19, 2012, 09:13 Prez

There's a difference between what developers nowadays seem to consider dedicated servers to be and what gamers (particularly older ones) expect them to be. Devs nowadays seem to think dedicated servers are anything not matchmaking and aren't hosted by them alone. Gamers expect public dedicated servers files that allow running of modded games and that anyone can host free of charge.

Given what the developers released with previous CoD MW games I'd advise not getting one's hopes up if you adhere to the older gamer definition of 'dedicated server'.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Black Ops II PC Dedicated Servers Confirmed Jun 18, 2012, 14:56 Trevellian

They really are so blind they don't understand what made the ORIGINAL Modern Warfare a success on the PC at all do they.

It kills me, really, I loved that game, I'd probably still be playing COD games on the PC if they hadn't released 1 every freaking year and cocked up the dedicated servers.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

4. Re: Black Ops II PC Dedicated Servers Confirmed Jun 18, 2012, 11:29 Highlander

Sounds EXACTLY like that liar 402 Bowling. "Yeah it has dedicated servers" *winky face* said for MW3.

When it's this late into the development and you won't announce what PC players can expect in the way of TRUE dedicated servers. Even if they are through GameServers, then we know there' something fishy going on. Treyarch knows what's going on, they just don't want to tell us because the PC players will go apeshit bananas on them.

To hell with the CoD series and Kotch/Activision. Its rinse/repeat gameplay and console-ized P2P matchmaking bullshit. I had hoped that Treyarch would keep the faith to PC players but they are going the console way. Forgetting what platform put them on the map.

3. Re: Black Ops II PC Dedicated Servers Confirmed Jun 18, 2012, 10:58 Elessar

Paketep wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 10:45:
PAID dedicated servers aren't true dedicated servers. If there are no public server files released and you have to pay to get a shitty server, please don't call them "dedicated servers". It's not the same.
Still beats the fuck out of matchmaking. Gives the player a choice in where they go and what type of game they play. Not as open ended as server files getting released, but I'll take regulated dedicated servers over transparent matchmaking system any day.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

2. Re: Black Ops II PC Dedicated Servers Confirmed Jun 18, 2012, 10:58 ASeven

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand... nobody cares. Not at this point, not anymore. Treyarch fucked things up badly with their PC support in BO1, no reason to trust them anymore. Hell, no reason to buy another CoD title that plays exactly like the past ones.  

1. Re: Black Ops II PC Dedicated Servers Confirmed Jun 18, 2012, 10:45 Paketep

PAID dedicated servers aren't true dedicated servers. If there are no public server files released and you have to pay to get a shitty server, please don't call them "dedicated servers". It's not the same.

TF2 has dedicated servers.
CoD4 has dedicated servers.
BF3 DOESN'T have dedicated servers.
CoD:BO DOESN'T have dedicated servers, and I will be surprised if CoD:BO2 has them.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo