Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dishonored "12 or 14" Hours

A Weekly Dishonored Q&A on the Bethesda Blog posted Friday offers an outlook on how much gameplay will be found in Dishonored, Arkane's upcoming stealth shooter (thanks VG247). Since it's only three questions, where's the whole shebang:

Q: How does mana work in Dishonored?

A:
A small portion of the mana bar regens; just enough to use powers like Blink and Dark Vision, making them basically free. Beyond that, for the expensive powers like Possession or Bend Time, the player must rely on Piero’s Spiritual Remedy (mana potions).

Q: How many different powers will there be?

A:
There are six major active powers and four enhancements (passive powers), in addition to weapons and gadgets; plus there are 40 bone charms in the game that grant small supernatural perks. But no one can have all of these things in one playthrough.

Q: How long will the game be?

A:
Play-style matters a lot. Very direct players will probably get through the game in 12 or 14 hours. Explorers who eavesdrop a lot will take twice as long.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Dishonored Jun 21, 2012, 01:06 Jerykk

In Singularity, you could age enemies and certain objects with your gauntlet. You could also create a bubble that slowed down everything inside. That's probably what you're thinking of.

In Dishonored, there is an ability that lets you slow down/pause time. One ability out of many. If you watched the trailer and E3 footage, you should notice that there's a lot more to the game just pausing time with your left hand.

Here's the E3 walkthrough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzVCk4pVJZk

If you still think the game is in any way like Singularity, I'm not sure what to say.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Dishonored Jun 20, 2012, 17:46 Quinn

Hey Jerykk. Yeah, I played Singularity and I hated it. Almost finished it, even.

The trailer matter-of-factly made my mind jump to Singularity. Why? I watched it again just now and it's because of his left hand controlling time itself. I don't remember in fine details what Singularity had, but it certainly was a gauntlet on the left hand controlling time in a similar fashion.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2012, 17:51.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

23. Re: Dishonored Jun 19, 2012, 23:46 Jerykk

V for Vendetta meets Singularity. Somehow that concoctions doesn't work with me.

What? I guess I can understand the V For Vendetta connection (British despots enacting harsh rule over the common people) but Singularity..? There's no time travel in Dishonored, nor can you age things. There are also no Soviets or mutants, as far as I can tell. Did you even play Singularity?

A more apt comparison would be Deus Ex + Thief + Half-Life 2 + Bioshock.

22. Re: Dishonored "12 or 14" Hours Jun 19, 2012, 09:23 Quinn

I'm gonna pass on this game entirely. I somehow knew that already during the teaser.

V for Vendetta meets Singularity. Somehow that concoctions doesn't work with me.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

21. Re: Dishonored Jun 19, 2012, 01:29 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 16:57:
NKD wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:25:
What's with this McDonalds "quantity over quality" attitude people have towards games anyway. With very few exceptions, long games are padded to all fuck with grinding or a lot of reloading your save.
Nobody was suggesting that. However, few would call Skyrim padded yet it's easy to get 100hrs out of it without even coming close to completing all the quests. Dragon Age: Origins was 50hrs long. And I didn't find DXHR to be overly padded at 25hrs. Therefore if Dishonored is considerably shorter and not up to the same quality as games like those then that will be very disappointing.

For a singleplayer I consider 12-14hrs - if it is indeed that long - to be on the short side. I of course prefer quality over quantity but it's a balancing act - nobody would be happy with a super-awesome 30 minute game.

I think it would be pretty easy to argue that Skyrim is padded. Most of the quests are generic, template-driven ones such as:

1) Go to random dungeon and kill random enemies.
2) Go to random dungeon and retrieve item.
3) Deliver item to NPC.

If you took away all the half-assed side-quests in Skyrim, there would be considerably fewer quests.

Anyway, I'm not overly concerned about these time estimates for Dishonored. I ghost my way through games whenever possible and ghosting takes considerably more time than just running around and killing anything that gets in my way. I also like to explore every nook and cranny, read/listen to every piece of lore, do every side-quest and play games on their highest difficulty settings, so I'm sure I'll get a good 20-30 hours out of the game.

20. Re: Dishonored Jun 18, 2012, 17:36 Asmodai

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:08:
I'm not saying that the way you play games is wrong and it is of course subjective (to a degree). But I find that style of playing games to be incredibly boring and clearly most other gamers do too otherwise the average playthrough time would be much higher.

These would be the same gamers who play D3 over and over again racking up hundreds of hours on their hamster wheels? \= |

19. Re: Dishonored Jun 18, 2012, 16:57 theyarecomingforyou

What's with this McDonalds "quantity over quality" attitude people have towards games anyway. With very few exceptions, long games are padded to all fuck with grinding or a lot of reloading your save.
Nobody was suggesting that. However, few would call Skyrim padded yet it's easy to get 100hrs out of it without even coming close to completing all the quests. Dragon Age: Origins was 50hrs long. And I didn't find DXHR to be overly padded at 25hrs. Therefore if Dishonored is considerably shorter and not up to the same quality as games like those then that will be very disappointing.

For a singleplayer I consider 12-14hrs - if it is indeed that long - to be on the short side. I of course prefer quality over quantity but it's a balancing act - nobody would be happy with a super-awesome 30 minute game.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

18. Re: Dishonored Jun 18, 2012, 15:30 Creston

NKD wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:57:
Foxiest of the Hounds is a finicky mofo. My first playthrough I was ultra careful, sneak sneak sneak, thought I had gotten all the Smooth Operator bonuses, etc. No Foxiest. Second playthrough I do another stealth playthrough but more aggressive, literally killing every son of a bitch on every map. Wasn't even trying for Foxiest. But ended up getting it that time anyway.

Yeah, I know. And I KNOW I never set an alarm off anywhere, but I do know I missed a Smooth Operator on one map for whatever reason. Grrrr.

MUSt...HAve... my... CHEEVO.

/hangs head in shame.

Creston

17. Re: Dishonored "12 or 14" Hours Jun 18, 2012, 13:54 Cutter

So they really mean 6 or 7 hours. Welp, not like I wasn't going to be waiting for the bargin bin for this anyway.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Dishonored Jun 18, 2012, 12:34 Jerykk

I find it a little weird that anyone spent 47 hours in Deus EX: HR on a single run. It was a fantastic, meaty game but I would be hard pressed to achieve that time even if I save scummed every decision.

It's not that hard to do. Read every e-mail, PDA, newspaper, news ticker, etc. Do every side mission. Talk to every NPC multiple times so you can hear every line of dialogue. Explore every path through every level. Ghost your way through the game (and I mean real ghosting, where you neither kill nor incapacitate anyone). Play on the highest difficulty setting. Do all these things and you'll get ~60 hours out of DX3.

15. Re: Dishonored "12 or 14" Hours Jun 18, 2012, 12:34 Tumbler

I remain skeptical of this game. Brink looked good. I'll just wait a bit and see what reality is.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

14. Re: Dishonored Jun 18, 2012, 11:57 NKD

Verno wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:43:

Yeah that's fair. I like a competent game that doesn't overstay its welcome or have meaningless exp grinding just for the sake of a box bullet point. Sometimes quantity just means more goodness though

True. The best games are the ones where when you beat them you're thinking I WANT MORE, but not "Wow, this was way too short." Subtle difference between the two, but I think you get my meaning.

Creston wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:36:
(and the game STILL won't give me "Foxiest of the Hounds!" ARGH!)

Foxiest of the Hounds is a finicky mofo. My first playthrough I was ultra careful, sneak sneak sneak, thought I had gotten all the Smooth Operator bonuses, etc. No Foxiest. Second playthrough I do another stealth playthrough but more aggressive, literally killing every son of a bitch on every map. Wasn't even trying for Foxiest. But ended up getting it that time anyway.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

13. Re: Dishonored Jun 18, 2012, 11:43 Verno

Yeah that's fair. I like a competent game that doesn't overstay its welcome or have meaningless exp grinding just for the sake of a box bullet point. Sometimes quantity just means more goodness though

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

12. Re: Dishonored Jun 18, 2012, 11:36 Creston

I'm pretty sure my first DE:HR run was somewhere around 70+ hours. Of course, I realized that if you sold each weapon individually you got tons more money, and I was vaguely hopeful that said money would allow me to buy something later in the game...

I also deliberated over every encounter to make sure I took everyone out without anyone else ever seeing me, which made me reload quite a bit.

I typically play through the whole thing in around 35-40 hours now if it's a "take everyone down" run. I did a pure Ghost run in about 30 hours. (and the game STILL won't give me "Foxiest of the Hounds!" ARGH!)

Creston

11. Re: Dishonored Jun 18, 2012, 11:25 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

10. Re: Dishonored Jun 18, 2012, 11:18 Verno

A lot of people tend to just leave games running when the phone rings or while they eat dinner and so on too. I always turn mine off because of the electricity costs but some people don't care that much. That sort of stuff bloats up game length significantly. I find it a little weird that anyone spent 47 hours in Deus EX: HR on a single run. It was a fantastic, meaty game but I would be hard pressed to achieve that time even if I save scummed every decision.

Now if we're talking Skyrim or something then I would understand the huge disparity. That's why I don't take estimates seriously without first considering the dev, the genre and so on.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

9. Re: Dishonored Jun 18, 2012, 11:08 theyarecomingforyou

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 10:43:
Took me 47 hours to complete Deus Ex HR for the first time, just to compare.
Sure, but you can't pretend that taking that long to complete it is at all normal. The expected playthrough time according to the developers themselves is 25hrs long. That's the same amount of time I took and I hacked virtually every computer, read all the PDAs and explored all the areas I came across (I checked all the vents and different ways into each area). Even then the game dragged at a few places, as there's only so many times you can read the same generic messages and play the same stupid hacking mini-game.

I'm not saying that the way you play games is wrong and it is of course subjective (to a degree). But I find that style of playing games to be incredibly boring and clearly most other gamers do too otherwise the average playthrough time would be much higher.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

8. Re: Dishonored Jun 18, 2012, 10:43 nin

Yakubs wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 10:25:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 10:01:
I fall under the twice as long category for sure. I always take longer than estimates, which is why I roll my eyes when people act like estimates are inflated...

Just because some minority of players are REALLY slow at finishing games doesn't mean these estimates aren't inflated. Your logic is bizarre.

Quite.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Dishonored Jun 18, 2012, 10:43 StingingVelvet

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 10:31:
But most of the time estimated playthrough times are hugely exaggerated.

For you, because of how you play. For me they are generally on the low side. There is no right or wrong here, only personal experience.

That means I expect it will take about 10hrs to complete, which is disappointing considering that Deus Ex: Human Revolution was 25hrs for me.

Took me 47 hours to complete Deus Ex HR for the first time, just to compare.

Obviously anyone can stretch out a game but I generally find there is no enjoyment in doing that. I completed RAGE is about 12hrs and everybody immediately stated I must be wrong and that I must have rushed through the game - the reality is that I have no interest in exploring random nooks and crannies if there's no reward in doing so.

I don't view it as stretching it out, it's just how I play games naturally. I don't really see it as examining nooks and crannies either, I just tend to look around a lot and also move slower through the environment.

6. Re: Dishonored Jun 18, 2012, 10:40 StingingVelvet

Yakubs wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 10:25:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 10:01:
I fall under the twice as long category for sure. I always take longer than estimates, which is why I roll my eyes when people act like estimates are inflated...

Just because some minority of players are REALLY slow at finishing games doesn't mean these estimates aren't inflated. Your logic is bizarre.

How is my logic bizarre when it's all based, for you and me both, on personal experience? I ALWAYS take longer than the estimate, even for supposedly 5 hour singleplayer shooters. You feel like you always take much less. Which of us is "right?" Neither, because it is completely subjective. Unless you have some kind of global stat numbers that show otherwise.

I said I roll my eyes because in my experience those estimates are low. Nothing I said there has the ability to be "wrong" or "bizarre."

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo