Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here are the top 10 bestselling games for the past week on Steam, Valve's digital delivery service:

1. Arma II: Combined Operations
  2. Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
  3. Civilization V: Gods & Kings
  4. Max Payne 3
  5. Crusader Kings II Collection
  6. F.E.A.R. 3
  7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  8. Counter-Strike: Source
  9. Cities XL 2012
  10. Torchlight II

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 19, 2012, 00:36 dj LiTh

Creston wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:23:
I wish someone would just remake Master of Magic with a modern interface and graphics/sound already.

Creston

+1

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 18, 2012, 15:24 Crustacean Soup

Like Endless Space, but with a couple issues so far.

There's no easy way to set up chokepoints or to intercept or block enemies once they get warp; they can just sail over to your worlds, and you need to play whack-a-mole to keep up. This is dealt with in Civ and Galciv, but in here you can't interact with ships in-transit, so there's no way to intercept or block them.

I also don't like the combat. It's fun the first few times, but I'd like to just play my cards and get it over with instead of having to watch the same cinematic over and over and over. Auto resolve very often performs much worse than the fleet would in manual mode, so it's not a great alternative.

Diplomacy with the AIs also seems pretty simple and lifeless compared to the Civs and Galciv 2.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 18, 2012, 11:23 Creston

I need to have a look at Endless Space, thanks for the tip, Verno.

I'm enjoying Warlock, but the AI really is just too braindead. Summon fire Elemental, put 8 different buffs on it (one of which, Nature Regeneration or something, heals it 15 points per turn, when enemies can only do 1 or 2 damage to it because of the ridiculous amount of resistances it has), and it will trample all throughout his entire domain without the enemy wizard EVER dispelling the buffs on it.

At the same time, he's continuously counter-spelling every single "city buff" spell I'm trying to cast. Oookay, so you DON'T want me to buff my own cities, but at the same time, you're perfectly fine with my mega-elemental slaughtering every single thing in your entire domain? Nice priorities there, buddy.

It's worth the 15 bucks I paid for it, as I've spent a good 15 or so hours in it and it's still fun, but it's sad that the now 20+ years old Master of Magic still beats it in almost every area. Diplomacy is absolutely worthless (everything you do leads to war, so you might as well just kill everything you see anyway), there are no heroes, and every den you investigate offers gold, mana (of which you have plenty) and maybe a spell or a unit. Why no heroes and items? I've yet to go into another world, because I have to fight 9000 Greater Elementals there, and all that I'd get out of it would be more gold and mana, and I already have 10,000 each...

I wish someone would just remake Master of Magic with a modern interface and graphics/sound already.

Creston

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 18, 2012, 08:44 Verno

I'm really enjoying Endless Space, it's a pretty solid contender for best 4X game right now although the combat stuff is executed a bit differently than MOO2 or etc.

Did get to spend some time with Warlock, found it to be a totally brain dead Civ wannabe with a heavy emphasis on mediocre combat. It's got a few interesting gimmicks but ultimately they don't rescue the humdrum gameplay.

I wanted to check out Day Z but man, Arma II has some really rough edges and I think I'll just wait until there's a more commercial version out with less kinks.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 18, 2012, 06:08 Prez

I haven't loaded Rebellion up yet, but from reading the feature list and a couple of reviews I have to say that if you own Sins Trinity then $30 is about $15 too much. If you only own Sins then it is definitely worth $30, as both of the expansions drastically changed (and mostly improved) the game dynamics from stock Sins. If you are a space strategy fan and don't own any Sins game then it's practically a no-brainer.

I own Trinity but paid full price for Rebellion because I am a huge space strategy fan, love Sins, and wish there were more games like this. This is what of the few times when I'll pay more than a product's intrinsic value in order to "cast a vote" for future Sins development and more games like this in general. Anyone else I would advise that you wait until they knock off 10 bucks at least.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2012, 13:43.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 18, 2012, 00:02 Bhruic

I've heard SOASE: Rebellion is way, way overpriced for people that already have Diplomacy.

I'd say for people who have any version of the previous game. As a standalone it's fine, but yeah, it should be maybe $10 for people who have the previous game/DLC. I only had the base game with none of the additional content, but it really doesn't feel that different. I mean, the difference between rebels/loyalist is extremely minor. The space stations/mines are nice, but those are from previous expansions I believe. The Titan ship is very nice, but really overpowered. It seems to make a lot of the frigate/cruiser level ships obsolete, simply because they can't really damage it.

I'm not really regretting getting it at this point, because it's nice to go back to playing the game, but the feel of the game isn't really that different. One area that I haven't done much with is the diplomacy, I don't really know how it works yet, but I think that also was a previous expansion. I'm not sure what really rebellion brought to the game.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2012, 23:15 Dev

zombiefan wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 21:55:
Fion wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 20:24:
Speaking of the summer sale.. bring it on Valve! I'm so bored sitting here with GW2 Beta Weekend withdrawals and nothing new to play. :/
QFT. Especially the GW2 part.
Last year I think summer sale started on June 30th. So we still have a couple weeks.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2012, 23:02 jacobvandy

I've heard SOASE: Rebellion is way, way overpriced for people that already have Diplomacy. They're pulling that bullshit with a standalone expansion where they charge damn near full price because it includes everything... Which means it's attractive for newcomers but a major rip-off for series fans. They do cut the price down $10 for current owners but that's still $30 for an amount of new content that they'd previously sell for less than half of that as DLC. To not offer a cheap upgrade (like $10-15) if you already have Diplomacy is kind of an insult, so as a result I'm just waiting until it goes on sale for that price.  

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2012, 22:58 xXBatmanXx

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 22:08:
Quboid wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 21:49:
DangerDog wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 21:31:
in other news Arma III canceled, they're going full zombie mode instead.

kidding, but man did that dayz mod pump some money their way or what?

And how! It's not just Arma 3 that will be influenced by this. Developers and publishers everywhere will be reconsidering the merits of allowing modding and by extension, doing a decent PC version. Day Z isn't going to rewrite the gaming word but it's a nice boost.

I'm thinking it's more likely we will see a fucking ton of Day Z copycat games in the years to come.

I am fine with that. THere is a TON of polish to be had in the game.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2012, 22:12 Jerykk

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 22:08:

And how! It's not just Arma 3 that will be influenced by this. Developers and publishers everywhere will be reconsidering the merits of allowing modding and by extension, doing a decent PC version. Day Z isn't going to rewrite the gaming word but it's a nice boost.

I'm thinking it's more likely we will see a fucking ton of Day Z copycat games in the years to come.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. DayZ is great but extremely rough. If another developer released a more polished and expanded version of the mod, I'd probably buy it.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2012, 22:08 Mad Max RW

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2012, 21:58 DangerDog

I don't know if you'll see more developers going pro modding, not from major publishers like EA and Activision.

It's nice to see the gamble pay off for BIS though, kind of funny that it was an internal dev working at BIS that made the breakthrough. I bet he'll get a nice Christmas bonus.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2012, 21:55 zombiefan

Fion wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 20:24:
Speaking of the summer sale.. bring it on Valve! I'm so bored sitting here with GW2 Beta Weekend withdrawals and nothing new to play. :/
QFT. Especially the GW2 part.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2012, 21:49 Quboid

- Quboid

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2012, 21:31 DangerDog

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2012, 20:24 Fion

Yea my mind is rather blown that Skyrim has remained in the top ten list for this long. I'm sure it'll skyrocket back to the top with Dawnbreaker and especially the summer sale.

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2012, 19:49 SpectralMeat

Hoping to pick Sins up on the Steam Summer sale.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2012, 19:46 nin

Nice debut for Sins, good for them! I plan to grab it, but I'm a little short right now...

And Skyrim still hangin in there - can't wait to get the expansion and dive back in.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo