Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 23, 2012, 01:05 Ant

..!..

Did I offend anyone?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 18:14 Prez

As for Linus "running it", that's a little off. He runs the kernel development, and actually does very little coding on it these days. He tries to keep the kernel contributors on the same page. All of the Distros (Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) and their respective communities, have nothing really to do with Linus. A "distribution" is much more than just the kernel. The linux distros that are intended to be nooby friendly, usually have a more friendly community, and are very helpful.

Fair enough; thanks for the clarification. Would it be at least fair to say he is the "face" of Linux? It seems so to me. Him acting like such a childish idiot certainly doesn't do the brand any favors imo. After seeing what an unprofessional asshole he is, it's a wonder any businesses use Linux.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 13:42 Beamer

kanniballl wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 13:34:
Minuit wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 13:00:
Beamer wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 09:37:
[Linux] runs the servers, it runs the networking equipment, but only the IT support staff has a clue it's going on, which is maybe 0.5% of any business staff.

Few businesses run it in any other capacity.

So... How's that Android phone working out for you?

In his defense, he's saying few BUSINESSES run it in other capacities.

I'm not reading that as "that's the only capacity it is run... period"

It's true: most commercial places are Windows for the employee workstations (and even many of the servers)... with Linux running a lot of the back-end servers. Things the average employee don't even know exist let alone what OS is running it.

Sure, there ARE businesses out there that use either Linux, Unix, or even OSX on their employee workstations but they are few and far between

That being said: the one place where it HAS grown significantly is the smart phone. But your average user neither knows nor cares.

-

It dominates smartphones, true. Though few businesses are running Android these days. It's increasing rapidly, but businesses are still mostly on BB. And, when they shift, they've tended to shift towards
"Bring Your Own Device" rather than "We Buy You a Device."

But can anyone show me a Fortune 500 company that runs Linux on its computers? Not servers, but the computers your average marketer or accountant is running?
Probably not. You'll pry Excel and PowerPoint out of people's cold, dead hands (for good reason - for all that MS does poorly Excel cannot be touched, nor can PowerPoint when using proper packages for it, it's pretty lacking when vanilla but it's what everyone knows and other options are at least as lacking.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 13:34 kanniballl

Minuit wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 13:00:
[Linux] runs the servers, it runs the networking equipment, but only the IT support staff has a clue it's going on, which is maybe 0.5% of any business staff.

In his defense, he's saying few BUSINESSES run it in other capacities.

I'm not reading that as "that's the only capacity it is run... period"

It's true: most commercial places are Windows for the employee workstations (and even many of the servers)... with Linux running a lot of the back-end servers. Things the average employee don't even know exist let alone what OS is running it.

Sure, there ARE businesses out there that use either Linux, Unix, or even OSX on their employee workstations but they are few and far between

That being said: the one place where it HAS grown significantly is the smart phone. But your average user neither knows nor cares.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

21. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 13:00 Minuit

20. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 12:41 raVen

avianflu wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:26:
I see both sides but nvidia is entirely within its rights to protect its stuff.
As is Linus to protect the image of Linux. If Nvidia hardware doesn't actually work like it should, no one can guarantee except Nvidia due to drivers being entirely closed.
The closest that can happen outside of Nvidia is entirely through reverse engineering, while a means to a goal could be easily sped up through documentation alone.

Meanwhile with every other vendor they can just write better drivers, fix system breaking bugs, and improve on whatever information the vendors have given them to work with.

19. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 11:48 Ozmodan

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 07:39:
So many ignorant posts on this board, Linux is used by a lot of businesses. It is not just some toy as many of you seem to assume. Some of you really need to grow up.

Yes, Linus is showing a lot of frustration, but he does have an excellent point. If you are going to say you support something, you have to do it with more than just lip service.

This is one of the reasons I buy AMD boards, Nvidia seems to be constantly playing catchup these days.

Linux is actually used by most businesses, but usually in minor ways. It runs the servers, it runs the networking equipment, but only the IT support staff has a clue it's going on, which is maybe 0.5% of any business staff.

That is a load of bunk, in this day and age, when you can get the operating system and software for far less than a windows system, many are making the change. Most users don't notice much change at all.

18. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 11:26 avianflu

I read the entire thread and what Torvald is asking for is open source for nvidia drivers. That's nvidia's RandD, and that asking for a lot.

I see both sides but nvidia is entirely within its rights to protect its stuff.

17. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 11:01 Overon

Linus was voicing frustration, no doubt. However the way he did is going to be perceived as unprofessional. It will make him and GNU/Linux look bad.  

16. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 10:55 Overon

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 03:45:
space captain wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 23:40:
i wonder why you insiders arent on the board of directors? youve got all the history and facts, dude NEEDS you!
could the neighbors hear you through the 2 meter thick concrete of your mom's basement, you sick evil fuck.
Uh what? What you just said is comnpletely unjustified. Presume much? Evil? Really? Relax.

15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 10:16 Dev

This is one of the reasons I buy AMD boards, Nvidia seems to be constantly playing catchup these days.
In linux driver support & documentation, yeah. In just about every other category, its AMD/ATI playing catch up.

And I wonder how long that will continue. AMD got rid of a bunch of key graphics driver employees, and its showing in how long they've been taking to update their drivers to properly support new games and support crossfire.

14. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 09:37 Beamer

So many ignorant posts on this board, Linux is used by a lot of businesses. It is not just some toy as many of you seem to assume. Some of you really need to grow up.

Yes, Linus is showing a lot of frustration, but he does have an excellent point. If you are going to say you support something, you have to do it with more than just lip service.

Linux is actually used by most businesses, but usually in minor ways. It runs the servers, it runs the networking equipment, but only the IT support staff has a clue it's going on, which is maybe 0.5% of any business staff.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 08:58 wtf_man

Prez wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 06:43:
Way to burn your bridges idiot. No wonder Linux is the red-headed stepchild of OS's.

Every time I think about trying to learn Linux I am turned off in short order when I realize that the community is predominantly comprised of arrogant, self-entitled pricks. Apparently it starts at the top.

Yeah, you guys are soooo edgy and cool because you use an OS that no one else does. With a moron like this guy running it looks certain to remain that way too.

There are plenty of distros out there with good and helpful communities. Linux Mint is probably one of the best to get started with, since everything works out of the box, for the most part.

As for Linus "running it", that's a little off. He runs the kernel development, and actually does very little coding on it these days. He tries to keep the kernel contributors on the same page. All of the Distros (Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) and their respective communities, have nothing really to do with Linus. A "distribution" is much more than just the kernel. The linux distros that are intended to be nooby friendly, usually have a more friendly community, and are very helpful.

12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 08:49 Verno

Yes, Linus is showing a lot of frustration, but he does have an excellent point. If you are going to say you support something, you have to do it with more than just lip service

It sounds like Linus is the one who needs to grow up. He wasn't "showing a lot of frustration", he was being extremely unprofessional and childish. After all Linux is used by many businesses as you are so quick to point out.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

11. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 08:11 eRe4s3r

Why? Is Linus paying anything to Nvidia? Yeah, thought so.  

10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 07:39 Ozmodan

9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 06:43 Prez

Way to burn your bridges idiot. No wonder Linux is the red-headed stepchild of OS's.

Every time I think about trying to learn Linux I am turned off in short order when I realize that the community is predominantly comprised of arrogant, self-entitled pricks. Apparently it starts at the top.

Yeah, you guys are soooo edgy and cool because you use an OS that no one else does. With a moron like this guy running it looks certain to remain that way too.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 03:45 Dmitri_M

space captain wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 23:40:
i wonder why you insiders arent on the board of directors? youve got all the history and facts, dude NEEDS you!
could the neighbors hear you through the 2 meter thick concrete of your mom's basement, you sick evil fuck.

7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 03:16 raVen

guys that make the most stable feature complete drivers for Linux
I wont expect you to watch the whole hour video like I did. but at least back up 1min to listen to the question: She asks why her dual graphics laptop is shit and doesn't work right in Linux. His response is that Nvidia hasn't ever gone the distance with actually supporting the community with documents and information about their chipsets / chips. They do provide a binary blob, and yes it sometimes works.

At the very beginning of the video Linus talks about why he started working on Linux in the first place, and it was because there was a void with his software that needed to be filled in this case he had used Unix at the University -- where he had been writing all of his tools and programs from scratch, because that's just how he grew up with software, if he couldn't buy a program due to lack of money or doesn't exist on the platform, he would write his own software as a replacement. With that bit of information it should be clearer why when a company will go out of the way to use Linux internally but do not actually contribute to Linux other than a binary blob that in order to be truly useful has to be reverse engineered.

TLDR; The question in which he replies Fuck you Nvidia is directed at their binary driver not working, and them not actually providing support.

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 17, 2012, 23:40 space captain

Go forth, and kill!

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo