Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Consolidation

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 18, 2012, 17:47 space captain

Dev wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 01:09:
I dunno, I'd never heard of thunderbolt until recently, and I still am not sure as to what it can do.
But here's a link as to what mobos have it onboard and what can have it added:
Text for your Link

Edit:
Looks like windows supports it with display minus a couple features

you can even get some features of Apple's Thunderbolt Display working if you're willing to accept a lack of pre-supplied software brightness controls and USB support.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/12/thunderbolt-on-windows-gets-hands-on/

Also looks like the thunderbolt add in card from asus has a loop through a displayPort to support the display that way through the thunderbolt port

im fairly familiar with it, im apple cert tech and i work on these bastards daily

its great for external devices, i really want that new thunderbolt UA audio interface ..

data transfer from mb air to new mb pro over thunderbolt is retarded fast

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 18, 2012, 01:09 Dev

space captain wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 23:51:
yeh the iMacs with thunderbolt have "target display" mode, so you can use it as a monitor for thunderbolt display output.. however i dont think the thunderbolt port on the new PCs are going to output display... its really just a port for the PCI-E bus

its not owned by apple, its intel tech... licensed exclusively to apple for a year, now thats up

who knows, maybe some pc mobos might try to output display
I dunno, I'd never heard of thunderbolt until recently, and I still am not sure as to what it can do.
But here's a link as to what mobos have it onboard and what can have it added:
Text for your Link

Edit:
Looks like windows supports it with display minus a couple features

you can even get some features of Apple's Thunderbolt Display working if you're willing to accept a lack of pre-supplied software brightness controls and USB support.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/12/thunderbolt-on-windows-gets-hands-on/

Also looks like the thunderbolt add in card from asus has a loop through a displayPort to support the display that way through the thunderbolt port

57. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 18, 2012, 01:05 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 23:23:
Actually PC's CAN connect to thunderbolt. I just saw a motherboard announcement somewhere where they made a thunderbolt add on for it (some sorta special connector that gave direct access to PCI-E lanes). I think it was something from asus?

I'm not sure if that would utilize my discrete graphics card vs. the Intel onboard crap GPU, though. So that would defeat the purpose for a gaming rig.

56. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 23:51 space captain

yeh the iMacs with thunderbolt have "target display" mode, so you can use it as a monitor for thunderbolt display output.. however i dont think the thunderbolt port on the new PCs are going to output display... its really just a port for the PCI-E bus

its not owned by apple, its intel tech... licensed exclusively to apple for a year, now thats up

who knows, maybe some pc mobos might try to output display

Go forth, and kill!

55. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 23:23 Dev

Actually PC's CAN connect to thunderbolt. I just saw a motherboard announcement somewhere where they made a thunderbolt add on for it (some sorta special connector that gave direct access to PCI-E lanes). I think it was something from asus?  

54. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 19:30 wtf_man

space captain wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 19:00:
This is a segment from Ask The Techies showing you how to connect a PC on your network and run Windows on a Mac using Microsoft's free remote desktop connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg4livj-J4c

That's not what I mean. I already RDP to remote into Windows computers, at work from my current iMac. RDP isn't exactly good for gaming. I want my gaming rig (a full blown windows pc) to connect to the iMac as a monitor.

It looks like I can't even do a mac mini + the 27" thunderbolt display (PC's won't connect to that either). Sometimes Apple really pisses me off.

EDIT: Actually the previous (non Thunderbolt) Cinema Display + Mac Mini would work... I may go that route.

53. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 19:15 Dev

space captain wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 19:00:
wtf_man wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 18:31:
I just wish the fricken iMac would allow video input, so I could share it with my Windows Gaming Rig.

This is a segment from Ask The Techies showing you how to connect a PC on your network and run Windows on a Mac using Microsoft's free remote desktop connection.

I don't know how well that works for gaming But yeah, being able to remote in is handy. Now that I think of it, can't something like ultra VNC do similar cross platform remoting? It may not be logged in as that user, but it depends on what someone wnats to do.

52. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 19:00 space captain

wtf_man wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 18:31:
I just wish the fricken iMac would allow video input, so I could share it with my Windows Gaming Rig.

Go forth, and kill!

51. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 18:31 Crustacean Soup

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 15:29:
I may have to buy a new TV soon, and I'm already dreading the research for it.

I noticed that the new LG LCDs that replace the (terrific and reasonably-priced) TV I bought last year are significantly worse than the old models. It appears that they've been intentionally weakened to make LG's more expensive TVs more appealing.

Yeah, TV shopping can be a pain :\

swedishfriend wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 12:53:
4GB is plenty of memory. I was hoping for 2GB from the new generation. People complain about long load times now when they just have to fill 512MB of memory, get ready for load times 8 times as long (or will they have and SSD instead of a regular hard drive?).

The biggest issue with load times is the optical drive. The difference between loading times in Skyrim on my PC compared to the 360 on DVD is ridiculous, and I just have a plain HDD in here.

Loading from optical drives also forced the console game devs to use more RAM, as they had to buffer things more frequently and further ahead-of-time than you do on the PC. Hopefully Microsoft guarantees every SKU will have an HDD/SSD this time (as they did with the original Xbox), because that can only help.

50. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 18:31 wtf_man

Alamar wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 16:06:
Actually I'm waiting for an iMac, because I do dev on it... And don't want to build a hackintosh : )

-Alamar

Yeah, I'll probably be going with then next 27" iMac myself. My 2007 20" iMac is starting to show it's age.

49. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 17:31 Draugr

Alamar wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 16:06:

What apple pricetag/tax we talking about here?

I get that people like to complain apple prices are bloated, when comparing a shitty piece to a high end piece, but the 27" dell monitor is $999 (here), and the apple one is $999 (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC007LL/A)...

Fair enough, but those prices didn't use to match up.
When I last looked into it, The apple monitor was more expensive (markedly so) which was the information I was going off of, I suppose if I was going to comment I should have verified my information. I distinctly remember my friend being dissappointed since he just got done buying the apple iteration (five of them) but could have gotten the same monitors from dell for cheaper. That not being the case anymore, I suppose it really doesn't matter.

Which may come in the form of the 27" iMac

Had I relized you meant, "I'm waiting for an iMac" i would have just kept my mouth shut.

48. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 16:13 Dev

BTW, this leaked doc is from 2010. So anything or everything might have changed since then.  

47. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 16:06 Alamar

Draugr wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 15:29:
kanniballl wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 15:05:
Alamar wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 14:23:

But that's in the living room... I want a '1440p' resolution on my desktop, because I like screen real-estate... Which may come in the form of the 27" iMac, but I want to wait on the next model, which could be a year+ away...

-Alamar

The Dell Inspiron All-In-One offers a 27" screen with the same rez as the iMac.

As for the iMac, Apple sent a clarification stating that the MacPro would be seeing its update in 2013... right after the outcry when the exec said MacPro and iMac.

So some are taking that correction to mean iMac in 2012.

And some are taking it to mean iMac in 2014

-

Dell also has a 27" standalone monitor with the same guts as the apple cinema dsiplay (or whatever it's called,) minus the apple pricetag/tax

What apple pricetag/tax we talking about here?

I get that people like to complain apple prices are bloated, when comparing a shitty piece to a high end piece, but the 27" dell monitor is $999 (here), and the apple one is $999 (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC007LL/A)...

kanniballl wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 15:31:
Dell also has a 27" standalone monitor with the same guts as the apple cinema dsiplay (or whatever it's called,) minus the apple pricetag/tax

True, but as he was talking about getting an iMac... I imagine he was looking for an All-in-One solution.

Otherwise, why not just say "wait for a 27" IPS Monitor"

Hence the Dell AiO

Actually I'm waiting for an iMac, because I do dev on it... And don't want to build a hackintosh : )

-Alamar

46. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 15:54 Dev

Gruntstein wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 14:55:
This 'leak' smells of viral marketing to me.
Extremely unlikely, they've been avoiding details on 720 because they don't want to hurt sales of 360. They didn't even release any details at E3 like everyone was expecting them to. If they WERE going to do viral marketing of this stuff at this time period, they would have done it BEFORE e3 and released more details there as the hype built up.
wtf_man wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 11:13:
A lot of people are claiming this document is a fake.

Since it is an alleged leak... I'd take it with a grain of salt

/shrug
Then why would MS's legal firm have removed the document? (see update if you RTFA)
Also, remember the valve employee handbook? All those custom art pics? There was no way something like that was fake, it was WAY WAY too much work for a fake. Same here. This is 50+ pages filled with custom art. If someone wanted to do a fake, they could make it look real with only 5 or 10 pages, and just a couple photoshopped images.

No, its real.

45. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 15:43 Quboid

wtf_man wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 13:55:
Alamar wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 13:08:
1440p baby! That's where it's at...

-Alamar

I have zero intentions of buying a new 60" TV anytime soon, and 1080p is more than enough. I can already see the pot marks on actor's bad skin. Any bit sharper would probably make me want to vomit. As for 3D.. zero interest in that too... that shit gives me a splitting headache within 20 minutes.

Seeing what a person actually looks like makes you want to vomit? You have issues. I wouldn't rush for 1440p or 2160p but I always appreciate a clearer, better image.

- Quboid

44. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 15:31 kanniballl

True, but as he was talking about getting an iMac... I imagine he was looking for an All-in-One solution.

Otherwise, why not just say "wait for a 27" IPS Monitor"

Hence the Dell AiO

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

43. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 15:29 Wowbagger_TIP

I may have to buy a new TV soon, and I'm already dreading the research for it. I have a 61" Samsung DLP TV in living room. Over 5 years old now. It just randomly turns itself off all the time. Doesn't seem to be a heat thing, because I can turn it back on and it will sometimes run for hours after that. Sometimes it won't though. It seems pretty random.

Already had to have the entire light engine replaced in it (thankfully it was still inside the extended warranty period for that). Not sure if it's worth it to try to have it fixed. Have to pay for someone to come out. They may not even find the problem.

Now it seems like various types of LCD and a few Plasma models are the only contenders out there in that size. Maybe I should just keep waiting.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

42. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 15:29 Draugr

kanniballl wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 15:05:

But that's in the living room... I want a '1440p' resolution on my desktop, because I like screen real-estate... Which may come in the form of the 27" iMac, but I want to wait on the next model, which could be a year+ away...

-Alamar

The Dell Inspiron All-In-One offers a 27" screen with the same rez as the iMac.

As for the iMac, Apple sent a clarification stating that the MacPro would be seeing its update in 2013... right after the outcry when the exec said MacPro and iMac.

-

41. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 15:05 kanniballl

-Alamar

The Dell Inspiron All-In-One offers a 27" screen with the same rez as the iMac. So if you're going to just turn the iMac into a 100% Bootcamp machine then you might want to look at the Dell. (Obviously though if you want to use it as a Mac, then you'd get the iMac).

-

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2012, 15:30.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

40. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 14:55 Gruntstein

This 'leak' smells of viral marketing to me.  

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo